Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Last week of the season in Saas-Fee

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Finished the 23/24 season off in a little bit of style with another April trip to Saas-Fee. As usual, travel was dead easy - first flight out of Heathrow to Zurich, train/bus combination direct from the airport railway station. In resort at 13.04 and skiing around 40 minutes later. Upgraded from a single room to a double with balcony in the slopeside Bristol Hotel, which was a welcome bonus. The weather was a bit odd on day one with mild temperatures of the previous week continuing. This meant the lower slopes were a slush-fest - not poor man's powder but real knee-breaking stuff. Higher up it was rock hard - so much so that the main slope down from Morenia was closed on one day as there had been a 20-person collision/slide that required two helicopters and eight blood wagons to sort out. The pisteurs were having terrible trouble controlling the sledges such was the icy nature of the slope. But that all changed overnight with a north wind bringing snow down to resort level. Conditions were greatly improved and, despite some periods of poor visibility, there was up to 18 inches of powdery stuff on a very firm base - very flattering conditions. There was snow, off and on, until the lifts closed yesterday. Very pleased to report a new piste has been put in this season under the Morenia chairlift (it was skied to a virtual piste, previously, so it was an obvious move). And I'm told there has been good progress at restoring access to the runs from the tunnel which had been closed due to a mountain slide. Overall, the resort was as quiet as I've seen it at this time of the year - no lift queues, uncrowded runs, plenty of room in bars and restaurants. Journey home, via Geneva, was as painless as ever. Skis and boots put away for another season - roll on January!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We ski there a lot, but not been as late as April, good to know there's still decent skiing to be had! That run under the Morenia chair did use to be a marked red run, but last year with the diversion of the piste above around the large hole that appeared with the movement of the glacier I don't think they ever got round to opening it, but many know the way and so it became basically a ski'd out piste. There used to be an itinerary run that followed it as well, turning right off the top of the chair that joined that piste 3/4 of the way down to hop back on the chair but that's not been marked for a while, and not sure whether the ground below will allow it to continue. As well as the tunnel runs, looking forward to sledging being back next year too, with the new Hannigbahn.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@lampygirl, the feeling among many I spoke to was the Hannigbahn was a complete waste of money which should have been used to improve bad weather skiing access above the Spielboden stage 1/Felskinn base station junction.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
The Hannigbahn is used much more in the summer, so I guess that’s the justification. When I first started skiing in Saas-Fee, the annual snow fall was such that the Hannig was an active ski area. The only issue was that they still had the horrendous spring loaded button lift that had a 40 degree turn half way up. You could guarantee that at least half of any ski school class would let go at the bend, despite being told multiple times not to rolling eyes

You can still ski tour up Hannig and Mellig above that, but it’s pretty rare to get good enough snow to make it worthwhile.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@PowderAdict, I can recall when Hannig was an active ski area, too. No link to the main area and with unreliable snow, it became something of a white elephant. My insiders tell me the summer use is much over-estimated. As much as I love Saas-Fee, the lift system is showing its age (too many tech breakdowns) and in massive need of significant upgrades.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
LOTA wrote:
As much as I love Saas-Fee, the lift system is showing its age (too many tech breakdowns) and in massive need of significant upgrades.
I couldn't agree more, such a lovely place with a massive amount going for it but the fragmented lift system lets it down
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy