Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

...what happened to banana-shaped skis?...

Poster: A snowHead
Enters the ski shop.

'I'd like some full rocker skis please....'

'Ah does Sir like to do any carving?..'

'Yep...'

'Well can I interest you in these cambered sidewall skis?'

'No...but...'

Ah...but don't you like to get an edge in on ice Sir..so how about these gorgeous cambered skis...?

'Yes...but ...'

'And does Sir like some off piste footling...'

'Sure but...'

'well how about these heavily rockered but middle-is-camber skis...'

'AAAAAAARGH....'

I just love my full rocker Volkls. They ride crud like a lifeboat in a storm, rail ice and hardback, grip on everything. Full rocker. Sidewall.
Why oh why did they come and then go?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@valais2, a little single stringed perhaps? Also, ski shops need GP rentals?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@under a new name, ...indeed...but buying not renting...and I find them great fun over the whole mountain actually, but is it just me?...
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@valais2, just you
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
They went "pear shaped".
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
They were crap
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DrLawn wrote:
They went "pear shaped".

I'm sure that someone still makes some, where can a mango?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@DrLawn, .... Very Happy
@Gordyjh, ... that's a bit harsh....I like my existing ones...it's replacing them which is proving hard
@Thomasski, ....he he
@under a new name, ... oh b____er
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Down are apparently back in business. Just enjoyed a fair number of fun days on my Countdown 114s. Elsewhere the Whitedot Asbo 114s ski like full rocker.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
under a new name wrote:
@valais2, a little single stringed perhaps? Also, ski shops need GP rentals?

Do a lot of medical practitioners ski? Puzzled
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thomasski wrote:
DrLawn wrote:
They went "pear shaped".

I'm sure that someone still makes some, where can a mango?

Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
You could always try skiing on old wooden barrel staves, I expect they would have a fair amount of rocker..... Toofy Grin
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Bergmeister, GP, a la "Jeep" (yes, the car) = General Purpose ... doesn't everyone know that? Twisted Evil
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Look at any of Hoji's pro models with 4FRNT. As the narrowest at 102mm the Raven is presumably most similar to the Mantra, but I think the lay-up is quite different.

Or from Völkl the Revolt 104 (presumably also the other models but I haven't skied them) has such little camber (length, height and force) and such long rockered sections it feels like full rocker, just with a touch more pop when you want it. Honestly Völkl have got rocker/camber profiles soooo dialled now; best in the industry at that atm IMO.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
What happened to those odd Salomon skis I think they were called BRS or something like that, with a very wide shovel, usualy in pale blue?
ski holidays
DrLawn wrote:
What happened to those odd Salomon skis I think they were called BRS or something like that, with a very wide shovel, usualy in pale blue?

Turned out that that contrary to the Snoworks advertireview they didn't actually wash the car and walk the dog for you so met a big "meh" from the skiing public and were ditched quite rapidly.
latest report
@Dave of the Marmottes, you still see them in certain hire shops (e.g. Mégève this season) Shocked
snow report
BBRs, I think? Always put me in mind of dolphins.
snow report
@clarky999, ...excellent M many thanks. Good pointers.

Full rocker often seems to give a ‘get out of jail free’ card. Reviews of the FR Mantra said that if you get in the backseat then you get stuck there and become terrified, but I’ve found that not to be too much of a problem. But you can be headed for an ‘oh sh’t’ set of rowdy bumps and they just carry you through....that’s happened quite a bit to me...
ski holidays
@Chaletbeauroc, ... good call...and did the red ones remind you of lobsters?

They were absolutely marketed as the ‘next Big Thing’ and then became a burden for hire and sales outlets. I heard massive complaints from inside the retail network...
latest report
@Chaletbeauroc, my favourite review of the BBRs

‘...Many have perceptions of this ski from advertising jippo of Salomon to total worthless skiing to have. Common to these statements is usually heard as everything else, and usually without having the opportunity to test the ski before the mattress has been delivered...’

.?.?.

From

https://www.freeride.com/gear/skis/salomon-bbr-8-9.html
snow conditions
valais2 wrote:
@Chaletbeauroc, my favourite review of the BBRs

‘...Many have perceptions of this ski from advertising jippo of Salomon to total worthless skiing to have. Common to these statements is usually heard as everything else, and usually without having the opportunity to test the ski before the mattress has been delivered...’

.?.?.

From

https://www.freeride.com/gear/skis/salomon-bbr-8-9.html

So oneglove does actually ski then Toofy Grin
snow report
@valais2, Heh.

TBF that's a google translation from the original in Swedish, and even just running it through again gives a better result, e.g. gimmick instead of jippo, hearsay for heard; although mattress changing to "mouth-leather" doesn't improve it much...
snow report
"ski before the mattress has been delivered" Shocked
latest report
BBRs? Brilliant ski. Ok so I'm only a holiday skier but they rail on piste and are great off piste. They aren't a slalom ski and they aren't a freeride ski (not that I'd know what is/isn't!) They really aren't a park ski and they are totally rubbish on ice. But anything else they are great. A real 1 ski quiver. The 176 length was just a whole bundle of fun, then got the 184 which took a bit more input.

What they truly excel at however is getting people to chat to on the chairlifts because people are fascinated by them. Laughing

They suffered when some journo wrote that they are a marmite ski. He was actually talking about the graphics, not the way they skied but others took this up. Salomon were really brave bringing out this ski and at first it was universally loved. Ok the Snoworks lot were sponsored by Salomon at the time but I talked to testers that tested them back to back with other skis of the time. Now Line have taken up the spoon shape and I'd love to try the Blade but it is just too much money. Follow the crowd or dare to be different!

I took mine on piste only holidays as well as heliskiing and catskiing in BC.

They were blooming heavy, but then again they were yesterdays technology, the Rossy Soul 7 came out not long after which was a revelation...not as good on piste though.

I'll miss them.

Can't wait to try my new QST98s though!
snow report
I had BBR's too, and at the time I thought they were great. I'd only ever had piste skis erring towards the slalom end of the spectrum, and they were rubbish off piste (obviously!), but wider waisted skis just felt wrong to me. Enter the BBR, waisted like a piste ski, but with a big enough shovel that I could follow the kids down the soft stuff between the pistes and not sink. But in the end they were too floppy and flappy, and without a sidewall they didn't grip very well on a hard piste - they didn't make the sidewall version in a length short enough for me. Now I've got Lux 92's, which kind of go anywhere I want to go.
latest report
Oh, my daughter had a pair as well, and @gixxerniknik, you're right, they were definitely a talking point on chair lifts!
latest report
@karin, I suppose I should have added that I had the 89mm waist version.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@gixxerniknik, “They aren't a slalom ski and they aren't a freeride ski (not that I'd know what is/isn't!) They really aren't a park ski and they are totally rubbish on ice. But anything else they are great. ”

There isn’t anything else! Twisted Evil
snow conditions
@gixxerniknik, yes, I guessed as much. A friend had them, and he does still like them for the rare moments he gets dragged off the piste.
ski holidays
@under a new name, ..yes I too did wonder about that….
snow report
Quote:

They aren't a slalom ski and they aren't a freeride ski (not that I'd know what is/isn't!) They really aren't a park ski and they are totally rubbish on ice. But anything else they are great.

I kind of know what @gixxerniknik, meant, though. They're not a slalom ski, but you can carve with them, and they get from edge to edge like a piste ski; they're not a freeride ski, but they do float better than a piste ski. They are rubbish on ice (that's where floppy and flappy came in!), and I wouldn't have a clue about the park Laughing
I guess 'anything else' is general resort piste bashing and slopeside off piste?
ski holidays
gixxerniknik wrote:

Follow the crowd or dare to be different!

They pretty much ripped off the shape of the Icelantic Shaman which truly was a great versatile ski. And they didn't even dare to go for the true acid trip graphics which really got people talking.
snow conditions
@karin, haha.

Bit seriously, IMO, "rubbish on ice" should rule them out for most recreational skiers.
snow conditions
@under a new name, …anything which doesn’t grip on ice is in my book…..terrifying
snow conditions
Not skied them but something with that much pintail would not be my first choice for hardpack.
latest report
@valais2, exactly.
snow report
I can recommend DPS Lotus 124’s for ice! Or maybe not Shocked

http://youtube.com/v/68IRzfMtI9E
ski holidays
@BobinCH, yeah but DPS don't sell them as a single-ski quiver do they?

Salomon's marketing (iirc) was +/- that the BBS was all a comfortable, aspiring intermediate would need...
ski holidays
Get a snowboard
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy