Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Advice please - Turin car hire and/or transfers (Feb 2025)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hello knowledgeable people...
Having trawled / searched lots of posts relating to these topics (and still unclear of any answers) I wondered if anyone had good first hand experience of:

(1) Car hire companies that can guarantee winter tyres from Turn airport - I know they'll provide chains but tyres would be preferable! I'd rather not run the risk of driving up to Pila in February on standard tyres (plus I've never had a go with chains)

(2) Reasonably priced transfer options (it's looking like £700 round trip for 4 of us which feels on the steep side!)

Thanks in anticipation - and Happy Easter
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Sorry not to be helpful at all but ....
I have had this winter tyre issue at Turin Airport for at least 10 years.
Every year it's a nightmare.
We stay at a friend's place in the valley below Sauze so need to drive up the mountain every day, so winter tyres are massively preferable.
Trying to book winter tyres seems to be virtually impossible..... or certainly difficult without paying a massive premium.
This year we paid extra, but when I researched the tyres we were given, found that they weren't winter tyres at all. We were totally conned. Thankfully they were never put to the test.
I really don't know what the answer is. It's a constant source of stress.
If you, or anyone else, comes up with a solution, I would be very grateful for the info.
I would definitely suggest caution when dealing with the car rental companies at Turin Airport. In my experience, they are a bunch of sharks who hit you with massive extras when you arrive. I have seen multiple people literally in shock. When you get to the desk they know you have virtually no option but to agree to any extra charges.
Whatever you do, I highly recommend that you phone the company at the airport a few days before you go to confirm both tyres and cost.
Also,do not book through an agent, book directly with the rental company. That way you get more reliable information before your trip.
Good luck ..... sorry to be so depressing ....
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I’ve read on a post somewhere I think that you can get a transfer bus from airport to train station, and from there a train to Aosta which is fairly quick. Then cable car up to Pila (the train station is close to cable car, I’ve just visited Aosta today from Pila).

Maybe someone else who knows a bit more could confirm if this is indeed an option?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
We used Turin Airport countless times for ski holidays in France, going over the Montgenevre pass, a lovely short route, cheap flights, no traffic jams, everything always went to plan. I know you’d rather not, but imho hire the chains. We only had to use them once …. yes a pain in the freezing cold, but far outweighed by the aforementioned.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Hired from Alamo at turin airport for the SOPiB this year. No winter tyres, just a set of socks in the boot (which were the wrong size - replaced with the correct ones when I pointed this out). No hassle at all, no hard sell, no extras - overall a very simple, straightforward experience.

Some people on the bash had hired with winter tyres, I don't know who from or how much. When I looked, winter tyres added ~£200 to the price for 8 days.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We had a Jeep Renegrade from Italy-by-car for the SOPiBash and a week after. Came with winters and chains. That said, I didn't specify them as I've given up trying in Italy.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I'm sensing hit and miss then(!)
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
We’ve rented cars at Turin airport probably 15 times in the last five years. Used various providers in-terminal booked via booking sites. Have never checked the tyres tbh but they’ve always come with snow chains in the boot (never had to ask) and have never had to use them despite going at all various times. Even when it’s been snowy the roads seem to be kept well cleared.

Have my own excess insurance so always decline extras at the counter - never had anyone try to hard sell me anything, and never had any of them try to blame me for damage. Maybe we’ve just been extremely lucky, but I think it’s more the case that you only ever hear from the very small minority of people who have a bad experience and want to tell everyone about it. A friendly ‘buon giorno’, and asking them how their day is going probably helps too!

My preferred provider is now Sicily by Car, booked via VIP Cars. They’re one of the few that still let you take the car into France without having to pay a daily supplement.

But taking the train is also a great option!!
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Snowcabs do transfers from Turin. I just did a quick search based on random dates in feb 25 for 4 people Turin to Pila, A private transfer is £490. That’s £122pp return. You can email them or phone them for shared transfer quotes.
We used them last month from Turin to Serre Chevalier and they were excellent. Our shared transfer was £90 per person
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@schnitzel_skier, don't forget that cash is king in Italy due to the apparent proclivity for tax evasion, so you may get a better deal with a small operator.

We paid 300 EUR for 8 passengers in a minibus from Turin airport to Breuil-Cervinia recently. On the return journey, a car for four passengers was 220 EUR.

The journey to Pila is only 15 km further but I don't know if it includes any extra toll payments.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy