Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Niseko Digital Nomad / Ski Bum wannabe

Poster: A snowHead
Has anybody any tips or experience of longer stays in Niseko Japan?

I'm looking at "working from home" wink out there for about a month.

UK hours are 8 to 5 so 5pm to 2am local so I'll need a space to work on the laptop and have online meetings and calls.

I don't mind roughing it in a dorm but I'm sure I won't be popular climbing into a bunk at that time every night.

Scratch that, maybe everyone else will still be out partying Very Happy

Anyway I thought the 5 hour day ticket, slopes 10 till 3, food, a nap and work till the early hours for a few weeks would be a win. Laughing

February/March seems to be a good time for powder (feel free to put me straight) so I was thinking of arriving just after Chinese New Year and staying about 4-6 weeks

How cheap/low can you go and still be in easy access of the slopes?

How easy is it to change places once you're there (different resorts/better deals)?

Any tips on the seasonnaire/long term/worker accommodations?

Is it easy to jump into the community and find company for the slopes (especially as I won't be part of the dawn till dusk crew)?

I'd never normally consider it but with the gate system would you ever go off the sides on your own Skullie ?

Thanks in advance for all your help. Very Happy
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

I'd never normally consider it but with the gate system would you ever go off the sides on your own ?

Never mind about the gates question. I thought they were to patrolled areas between the pistes but I found a fantastic guide to the Niseko Japow that put me straight.

http://youtube.com/v/9oUAA5o78ZU?si=gTXPQVNBOIoiFYxz

All the best back country runs with all the hints and tips you would ever need. Amazing watch with step by step FatMap walkthroughs.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tip; try not to call it Chinese New Year outside of China. It’s a great way to offend several other Asian nations, likely including Japan. I think Lunar New Year will probably suffice.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
...or just a date would probably work. wink
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Quote:

try not to call it Chinese New Year outside of China

Shocked Oops, good advice thanks.

I think I need to pick up a lot of local culture as It's just universally referred to that here.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Skid9992003 wrote:

February/March seems to be a good time for powder (feel free to put me straight) so I was thinking of arriving just after Chinese New Year and staying about 4-6 weeks

Jan/Feb typically better for powder. Accommodation is very cheap outside Niseko. I think I paid around $30 a night for a private room at the K House in Asahidake
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
You're only going for a month.

It'll be over in a flash.

Just book the best crib nearest the lift or shuttlebus.

Maximize the skitime.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Quote:

K House in Asahidake

What's the skiing like up there? I was a bit nervous about going to other areas.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Are you planning to rent a car?

Accommodation will be expensive no doubt in Niseko especially if you want to be near the lifts. I don't think you'll find any long-term deals for a stay of only 4-6 weeks.

If you have a car, accommodation in Sapporo or Otaru (or even central Hokkaido as mentioned above) is much, much cheaper. But you'll obviously have to drive for skiing, up to an hour each way, and you might struggle to meet people. Would probably be a more interesting experience though overall.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Quote:

You're only going for a month.

Yeah, I know only a month I should make more of an effort Very Happy

I've been doing the usual week in France thing but if I can make this work, there's no reason I couldn't do this for longer but that's the key.

I need to pay for living out there but will still need to cover my bills & mortgage back home so time away is cost limited.

I need to keep the boss onside so missing a client meeting because I got lost in the back country or something isn't going to fly.

But if I can live cheaply, ski the early party of the day and work nights I could do this for a good few months. Little Angel
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Quote:

Are you planning to rent a car?

I was thinking about it and trying to work out if the saving in accommodation costs would just go on the rental (but it would give me greater flexibility)

Time is a factor as well. As I'm planning to get back and work online after skiing I need to be comfortably back at the accommodation within an hour and preferably under a 30-40 minute drive.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Sapporo or Otaru (

What do you think about staying at (and driving in from) Komobetsu, Rusutsu, Rankoshi etc?

Anywhere within about 30 minutes drive that's worth a look?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Skid9992003 wrote:
Quote:

K House in Asahidake

What's the skiing like up there? I was a bit nervous about going to other areas.

Best pow I’ve ever skied

http://youtube.com/v/tilZznbgB-g
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skid9992003 wrote:

I need to pay for living out there but will still need to cover my bills & mortgage back home so time away is cost limited.
work nights I could do this for a good few months. Little Angel

Rent out your place on airbnb to provide some extra cash
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A car is super convenient but quite expensive. Alternatively from Sapporo and Asahikawa I think there are ski buses to all the main resorts
snow report
Have a look at the Australian Alpine Club in Niseko.
It's pretty simple, big communal space, big communal kitchen, and a side room that would be ideal for zooming etc.
Very social too.
Not as cheap as a dorm, but I think it would be a much better experience.
Bear in mind rhat it is priced in Aussie dollars not US.
latest report
@Skid9992003,
Ask on ski.com.au - probably someone on there that has done similar.
latest report
Otaru

Use public / private transport to access Otaru Tenguyama, Asari, Sapporo Kokusai, Kiroro, Sapporo Teine.

You can do day trips (long days) to Niseko Resort Area and Rusutsu.

Hour by train to Sapporo.

You'll see a very different side of Hokkaido and spend a fraction of what you would in the Niseko Resort Area.

If I didn't have business interests in and around Niseko that's what I would do.
snow report
Quote:

You can do day trips (long days) to Niseko

Thanks @Mike Pow but was hoping to do a small amount of daily skiing in the mornings M to F, work in the evenings and then do the day trips with some big ski days or exploring further afield like Sapporo etc. at the weekends.

My dilemma is to be close enough to do daily skiing (little but often) at reasonable cost.

From my side, I'm prepared to drop the standards, be further out (30-45 minutes drive), dormitories, living with resort workers, explore other accommodation options (pensions etc.)

But I understand that anywhere close will be in high demand Crying or Very sad

I think I was hoping that by staying longer I could tap into some lower cost options.
snow conditions
@Skid9992003, You still have the weekends to do full day trips.

Perhaps look for a lessor known resort up to an hour away from Niseko and base yourself there? Hopefully it’d be less expensive. You‘ll get to ski that smaller resort in the morning before your work day starts. Then go to Niseko or other worthy mountains on weekends?

You’ll probably need a car for that. So need to figure out if the saving in lodging can pay for the car.
latest report
Skid9992003 wrote:
Quote:

You can do day trips (long days) to Niseko

Thanks @Mike Pow but was hoping to do a small amount of daily skiing in the mornings M to F, work in the evenings and then do the day trips with some big ski days or exploring further afield like Sapporo etc. at the weekends.

My dilemma is to be close enough to do daily skiing (little but often) at reasonable cost.

From my side, I'm prepared to drop the standards, be further out (30-45 minutes drive), dormitories, living with resort workers, explore other accommodation options (pensions etc.)

But I understand that anywhere close will be in high demand Crying or Very sad

I think I was hoping that by staying longer I could tap into some lower cost options.

Unless you're prepared to get to the lifts super early in Niseko and stand around waiting in line then you'll discover that even with the drive you'll be skiing quicker and more at other resorts.

Niseko was really busy this Winter. And it's just going to get worse IMHO.

Basing yourself out of Otaru you'll have almost no competition for lifts and tracks mid-week.

I didn't ski one day at Niseko this past Winter.

But each to his own.
snow conditions
Big Thanks everyone and especially to @Mike Pow.

In looking for big powder in Japan, I'd got myself fixated on Niseko but it looks like Sapporo / Otaru WILL suit me better for the balance of accessibility and accommodation options (and avoiding the Niseko queues) so it's back to the drawing board with the research.

I haven't got to checking Otaru yet but Sapporo with the Kamori season pass for Teine and Rusutsu is ticking a lot of boxes for me as well as the quick journeys to Bankai (although it looks small, it is convenient for the weekdays).

I did pick up loads of tips from the Captain Ikigai vids which are short, sweet and very informative so I strongly recommend checking out their content.

http://youtube.com/v/zwQJLOrwyOM&list=PLxl37ZYa54fYKs-O8jqBYP_qtRhTWwD2J

I've also been looking at a few local sites for accommodation such as:
https://sapporomonthly.com/
https://weeklyandmonthly.com/

@Whitegold, It looks like I will be extending my stay after all. Very Happy

Thanks again all, a lot more research to be done but you've set me on the right path.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sun 31-03-24 13:20; edited 1 time in total
snow report
My pleasure

Yes that Kamori Season Pass is great value if you use it

Otherwise the 25hr ticket for Rusutsu is great value and the best way to ski there.

I've spent more time and had better days at Sapporo Kokusai and Kiroro over Teine.

But when Teine is on, it's hard to beat.

Also covers Sahoro for a road trip to Central Hokkaido.
snow report
Quote:

Season Pass is great value

For Rusutsu alone the standard Kamori pass pays for itself in 7 days and for Teine in 12 days and the Gold (with locker reservation) isn't much more than that so the plan is currently:

Kamori Teine & Rusutsu Gold season pass, currently 104,000 (standard - no locker 95,000) on the earlybird deal.
Weekdays at Teine with Bankei occasionally for some variety. I did consider the Bankei pass (50,000) for weekdays and the Rusutsu 25 hour (30,000)for weekends but I think Teine is the better option.
Weekends at Rusutsu with trips to some of the others mentioned
Week or 2 off work out of a 6-8 week stay for sight seeing.

I think, that's cracked it Very Happy

And again, a shout out to some of the videos that helped me with my plans.

http://youtube.com/v/9uWDaTwcwzg
http://youtube.com/results?search_query=captain+ikigai
snow report
So you're looking at staying in Sapporo?
snow report
Yeah, I'm going to find a place that's easy to get to the Teine bus pickup to make it easy do the weekday daily trips to the slopes.

Loads of options on these sites so I'm sure I'll find something.
https://sapporomonthly.com/
https://weeklyandmonthly.com/
snow conditions
Sapporo is much larger than Otaru.
Getting out the city to slopes and back will take much longer. Drove in/around Otaru by car - easy/fast access to Tenguyama, Asari. A twisty 40min to the fab Kiroro. Samish to Teine (or was it Kokusai?). For what you are after - find a place next to Otaru station and you are set
ski holidays
@Skid9992003, if you have a month you really need to go to Central Hokkaido also. After a warm spell we left a warm, mushy Kiroro and skied blower pow the next day in Asahidake. Conditions can vary hugely so watching the weather and being flexible really pays off
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Indeed, alternatively - base yourself in Asahikawa and drive/bus to nearby resorts and over weekends get to Asahidake (magic place!)
snow conditions
mooney058 wrote:
Sapporo is much larger than Otaru.
Getting out the city to slopes and back will take much longer. Drove in/around Otaru by car - easy/fast access to Tenguyama, Asari. A twisty 40min to the fab Kiroro. Samish to Teine (or was it Kokusai?). For what you are after - find a place next to Otaru station and you are set

This
latest report
BobinCH wrote:
@Skid9992003, if you have a month you really need to go to Central Hokkaido also. After a warm spell we left a warm, mushy Kiroro and skied blower pow the next day in Asahidake. Conditions can vary hugely so watching the weather and being flexible really pays off

Most definitely

Three major storm patterns/locations

Niseko Resort Area
Resorts out of Otaru and Sapporo
Central Hokkaido

All can be very, very different on any given day.

As an aside, Asahidake tends to get more and drier snow than other Hokkaido resorts because it's higher. It's not some mystical thing going on. Base of the gondola is 1,100m which is higher than nearly all the summit lifts across Hokkaido. Top of the gondola is 1,600m. Then you can tour up to 2,291m from there. It's the tallest mountain on Hokkaido and cops the lion's share of the weather in that area.
latest report
@Mike Pow, ha, still can’t forget first trip to Hokkaido in 2018 when you took me from Niseko over to Kiroro and how skies had changed just after the tunnel. Same change on the way back to Niseko. Still got the fab picture of Yotei-san in evening sun.

To the OP - to maximise your 1month experience listen/read carefully to what Mike shares with you.
ski holidays
Mike Pow wrote:
BobinCH wrote:

Most definitely

Three major storm patterns/locations

Niseko Resort Area
Resorts out of Otaru and Sapporo
Central Hokkaido

All can be very, very different on any given day.

As an aside, Asahidake tends to get more and drier snow than other Hokkaido resorts because it's higher. It's not some mystical thing going on. Base of the gondola is 1,100m which is higher than nearly all the summit lifts across Hokkaido. Top of the gondola is 1,600m. Then you can tour up to 2,291m from there. It's the tallest mountain on Hokkaido and cops the lion's share of the weather in that area.

And don’t believe the Snowforecast totals especially for Asahidake. Several times it forecast 5cm and in reality it dumped more like 40cm. It’s the opposite of Europe!
latest report
Thanks all, I'm starting to look at those as well snowHead
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy