Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Custom boots need interim adjustment ?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Before the start of the season, I saw a bootfitter in the UK and got some new boots and custom insoles as I was having intense pain at the end of a day's skiing due to some weird feet. That was in August. It is now almost April, the boots have been great and I have gone from a very cautious to a confident intermediate. I am getting completely forward in my boots and feel my level has improved a lot. On the last day out, I began having the same intense pain in one of my feet as before. It is a crushing pain on top of my toes, and when the boot was removed, my toes were very swollen and had a clear indentation line along the top. I am planning to go back to the bootfitter to get them re-fitted when I return to the UK in a few months. Is there anything I can do in the meantime to mitigate the pain? I barely have the bottom two buckles on, so I don't think I am doing them too tight. I think I've got another weekend skiing coming up and I am dreading the pain returning because its nauseating and leaves me in tears getting the boots off my feet Puzzled any help appreciated
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@northernrookie, have you pulled out the liner and checked nothing is folded back and creating the pressure line? Something must have changed for it to be ok until one day!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Different socks? Perhaps slightly too big so creased up?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Take the liner out and check it for damage. After you put your foot in the boot, gently pull the liner tongue up, then push it down against the top of your foot. Also make sure the side edge of the tongue hasn’t folded over. If the weather is warm, your feet will measure about half a size bigger than when it’s cold and the plastic shell will flex more. Was this a factor? Whatever caused the problem, do sort it in resort asap. Boots are meant to be comfortable.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
So... I have just taken the boot liners out for the first time since I bought my boots and paid £150 to have custom liners [edit: custom insoles]. Unless I am being obtuse, the wrong liners were in each boot. As in, I just pulled a right-footed liner out the left boot. I was gobsmacked, I went to check my other boot from my bag and lo and behond, a left-footed liner came out my right boot. I have not touched the liners in my boots, I wasn't even sure I could take mine out.

Am I right to be a bit pissed off? I have worn these for about 10 days skiing this winter, which means all the money I paid to have them fitted and they will now not be molded to the correct foot, because I was told that over time it will continue to adapt to the foot. Aslo, of course, the excrutiating pain that returned.

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Fri 29-03-24 10:52; edited 1 time in total
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:

I bought my boots and paid £150 to have custom liners. Unless I am being obtuse, the wrong liners were in each boot.

Custom insoles not liners?

No idea how you didn't notice as they are moulded to the individual foot, but yes
be pissed off and take them back on return
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@holidayloverxx, Yes, this is what I paid for (without naming the shop)

2hr Ski Boot Fitting Appointment - £149 + Ski Boots.

Your appointment includes:

Biomechanical assessment and pressure analysis.
Ski Boot selection and customisation.
Custom insole fabrication.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This was my first ever pair of ski boots, so to be honest I didn't have a frame of reference. Also, have had no reason to remove the liners. I trusted an expert to get it right I guess.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Maybe someone swapped the liners overnight? How else can you explain them being comfortable until now?
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@endoman, Literally the only person that could have done that would be me in my sleep Shocked I cant overstate how much rentals hurt my feet, so anything would have felt better than that. It's the only explaination I can think of Puzzled
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@northernrookie, it does seem very odd. I'm a bit puzzled at you not having taken the liners out before now. How have you been ensuring everything gets dry? The ski boot fitters I've been to have been very careful to tell me I should be taking the liners out to dry, ideally overnight each day and definitely at the end of a week of skiing.

I've known someone ski for a day with the liners in the wrong boots but never for a several days. It's strange that they didn't cause an issue until now.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@sugarmoma666, Honestly I was scared to touch them until I was back in the UK for the summer in case I broke them so I could take them back to the bootfitter. I just made sure to keep them in the sun so that they dried, as I didn't want to use bootwarmers to dry them Confused Hence why not noticing. Feeling a bit stupid to be honest, but the shop have got back to me and are going to recitfy it which is good. Just not sure what to do for the two day trips I've got planned :/
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@sugarmoma666, agree its strange...but I've never taken my liners out in 30 years own boot owning, apart from when I had zipfits. I don't notice any of my ski buddies doing so either. My liners are never damp
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@holidayloverxx, +1. I never take my Zipfits out, mainly because I struggle to re-insert them. I've had my boots and Zipfits for 14 years, dry them assiduously with my boot dryers (or in my airing cupboard post-Hemel at home) and they are fine. Everything out at S4F recently, nothing adverse reported.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I also never take my zip fits out but the boots get dried. I should check when I bought them from CEM but a long time ago and used a lot.
snow report
@northernrookie, I don’t think the wrong liners were molded to the wrong foot. It had to be done with the correct foot. But it’s entirely possible to have them in the wrong boot shell at some random point. Even though you can’t figure out how and who switched your liner. But it seems that’s what happened, probably on the last day. That’s why you were happy the first 9 days but in agony the last day.

@sugarmoma666, I used to take the liner out to dry them. But I noticed the repeated insertion create crease lines in the liner. Upon consulting with my boot fitter, I was advised not to take them out unnecessarily.
ski holidays
Wear the liners in the correct boots and they'll adjust with body heat especially in Spring. If that doesn't entirely solve the problem get the liners rebaked. There are various tutorials on line about it if you want to DIY it e.g. the socks full of rice heat bags or any competent ski shop can do them in their oven
latest report
This is all very odd. So the liners were in the wrong boot but presumably the custom insoles must have been in the right boot (but the wrong liner) as I’d imagine you’d never have been able to ski with the custom insole on the wrong foot.

The fact that it was fine until the last day does rather sound like some stupid prank. Were the boots ever left in a shared boot room or maybe a private locker with the door left open by mistake? That sounds like the most likely cause as anyone with experience of putting liners into boots would realise their mistake as soon they started putting the liners into the boots.
ski holidays
Some ski boot liners look almost symmetrical at a glance, so I can see how someone not paying attention could put them in the wrong boots. The footbeds must also have been in the wrong liners though – I can tell if mine are not perfectly aligned, there's no way I could put them under the wrong feet and not notice!

As for taking out liners, they can be a bit tricky to remove and insert, though ime this has improved in newer models. Don't worry about breaking anything, ski boots are tough, but liners can wear if you do it very regularly (more a problem for flimsy touring ones, I think). However, I have see in an old pair of boots with translucent plastic that moisture can gather between the shell and the liner, so removing the liners to dry them properly at least at the end of the season can be sensible.
snow report
@Scarlet,
Quote:

However, I have see in an old pair of boots with translucent plastic that moisture can gather between the shell and the liner

True. I have just such boots, so can monitor the situ. No beads of moisture ever visible after a session with the trusty boot driers.
snow report
Scarlet wrote:
Some ski boot liners look almost symmetrical at a glance, so I can see how someone not paying attention could put them in the wrong boots.

Yes! I even done it myself! But it was so uncomfortable I immediately pull the liners out. And found my mistake.

Quote:
As for taking out liners, they can be a bit tricky to remove and insert, though ime this has improved in newer models.

It’s model dependent. My old one was relatively easy. So I’ve been taking the liners out at end of each ski day. But the new boot/liner combo is pretty difficult. That’s why I went back to the fitter and asked about it. His advice was leave the liner in there if I don’t want to wear it out prematurely. At that point, I bought a boot drier.
snow report
so i am trying to get my head round this

was the left LINER (inner boot) in the right shell, or the left FOOTBED in the right liner

i can understand liners being swapped over, we have seen it dozens of times, and done it a couple (but noticed as soon as the second one was being put in) but foe the footbeds to be in the wrong boot it would be agonizing as the arch would be pushing up into the outside of the foot (either that or the footbed was pretty flimsy)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy