Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Best bits of kit no longer made

Poster: A snowHead
Kit is mostly getting better.

But occasionally I miss things. Or worry that something discontinued will crap out.

…such as my Patagonia Speed Ascent jacket. It’s good for any conditions - thick Berber fleece on the inside and non Gore microweave outer. Breathable, warm when very cold…cool when very warm. Brilliant thing. It’s done many ventures and the moment it dies I will be Very Sad.

Anyone/anything else

You can’t include:

Deep snow
Reliable weather patterns
Youth
Etc
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Haribo Smurfs.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Salomon rear entry boots !
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Event GoreTex clothing.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ski poles with proper sharp pointy tips
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Swordgrips on poles. Fortunately have a few pairs in my pole quiver.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
S.O.S. ski clothing
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
dode wrote:

Shades of 'the Double Man'
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Older versions of the Patagonia R1 pullover - mine is easily 20yo and has features like a tiny zip pocket perfect for contact lens drops, thinner non-fleece material under the armpits, and a longer tail to ensure no dreaded draft up the back happens (also made of the thinner fabric...I found it made a difference when I bought a newer version and the additional bulk of fabric was really uncomfortable esp post lunch!)

Might have to grab whatever I can find on Ebay while there's still inventory out there.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Onepiece in garish colours
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gored wrote:
Onepiece in garish colours

Took this pic last year.

ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
No shortage of offensive fartbags from OOSC and Tipsy Elves.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
These were epic, and a bit scary for me at the time. Loved them (I was young then).

snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@anarchicsaltire, had to google that… Yul Brynner ‘67 movie, set in the alps… added to watch list!
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
anarchicsaltire wrote:
dode wrote:

Shades of 'the Double Man'

And 'Brown bread in Wengen', by Jeremy Cameron.
snow report
@telford_mike, off to google again
snow conditions
Audi Quattros with manual gearboxes
ski holidays
shep wrote:
Audi Quattros with manual gearboxes

DSG changed that. Full manual control, much faster change, blips the throttle on downshift. Got it on both my wife's TT Roadster and my VW R36. Would never go back, given the option.

Although of course manual, which I still have on my Landy, is much better than old-fashioned slushbox autos.
snow conditions
@rungsp,
Quote:

S.O.S. ski clothing

+1

first ever ski jacket i bought was a s.o.s one, bought in 1992 from ski 47 (i think it was their name), around the corner from the olympia exhibition centre.

it was an absolute steal at £100, reduced from £300, obviously young free and single at the time as it is £220 and £660 in todays money!!!!

had it for several years, but cannot remember what happened to it, must of lost it during several house moves.

also had one of their scandi style jumpers that i bought in meribel, again at a reduced rate, but that dissapeared at a similar time!!
latest report
@terrygasson, SOS made for skier by skiers who never ski in the rain? cos the waterproofing was made by Tetley
latest report
1990's Scott Racer Poles, Some POS stole mine along with my skis in Jan. I'm very sentimental about my poles now they are gone they are undoubtably not appreciated by the (Expletive) that stole them and I miss them..
snow report
Hip flasks
snow report
@under a new name,
Quote:

SOS made for skier by skiers who never ski in the rain? cos the waterproofing was made by Tetley
Laughing Laughing

to be honest, i dont remember the jacket not been waterproof though, but i must have been lucky (or a fair weather skier Very Happy Very Happy ) to have avoided rain Puzzled Puzzled
snow conditions
@Thick As, I absolutely love mine. Best grips ever on ski poles.... Mine are faded and scratched and I had to cut 3" off them when I changed from straight to carving skis but I would be gutted if someone swiped them - more so than my skis!

There is a pair on ebay - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225535760331?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&mkrid=711-127632-2357-0&ssspo=q4bZHSYURhe&sssrc=2047675&ssuid=&widget_ver=artemis&media=COPY
latest report
telford_mike wrote:
These were epic, and a bit scary for me at the time. Loved them (I was young then).

yep. Brilliant ski. I had P9,10,20,30... stopped there for some reason & switched to all mountain. Am thinking about Race Tigers tho...

Avalanche balloons?
latest report
rungsp wrote:
S.O.S. ski clothing

still made but in Denmark ... https://www.sos-lifestyle.com/en_store/category/archive-sale.html

I had a couple of the SOS Ski Sweaters, best ski wear ever!!!!!!!!! Toofy Grin
ski holidays
The Red Blobs on Dynastar Course skis. Laughing
snow report
Whitegold wrote:
Haribo Smurfs.

Still on sale in France.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:
Swordgrips on poles. Fortunately have a few pairs in my pole quiver.

Yes!
Plus quality anorak shells. I had a north face one decades ago that was lightly fleece lined. Perfection for all but the hottest ski days

But overall outdoor gear is getting better all the time.
snow report
@skimastaaah, red blobs only good for removing ones' ears when the delammed Shocked
snow conditions
Salamon Pocket Rockets. They would still sell in vast numbers today. Unfortunately the marketing dept. Listend to magazine pundits (who don't buy ski or understand how skis actually work for average joe) and stiffend the ski thus wrecking it.
snow report
Good call Idris…

Ant has some deep in his garage! Those need to come out…
snow conditions
Good call Idris…

Ant has some deep in his garage! Those need to come out…
latest report
Blackblade wrote:
Hip flasks

I've just bought 4 for my upcoming trip. Amazon is your friend. About £14 for 4.
snow conditions
Idris wrote:
Salamon Pocket Rockets. They would still sell in vast numbers today. Unfortunately the marketing dept. Listend to magazine pundits (who don't buy ski or understand how skis actually work for average joe) and stiffend the ski thus wrecking it.

Hmm. Think the Rossi Soul 7 took their place some time ago as a punter fat ski. These days dunno - Black Crows? wink
latest report
Cheap packages to Canada.
snow report
Ski jackets with hoods sized to fit a head, not a helmet.
ski holidays
valais2 wrote:
Kit is mostly getting better.

But occasionally I miss things. Or worry that something discontinued will crap out.

…such as my Patagonia Speed Ascent jacket. It’s good for any conditions - thick Berber fleece on the inside and non Gore microweave outer. Breathable, warm when very cold…cool when very warm. Brilliant thing. It’s done many ventures and the moment it dies I will be Very Sad.

Anyone/anything else

You can’t include:

Deep snow
Reliable weather patterns
Youth
Etc

Sounds like you look at Buffalo range to replace it (or Alpkit Jura is a good cheaper alternative)
ski holidays
One of the most underated kit that I have got was the resqski ski finder. No longer in production.
snow conditions
shep wrote:
Ski jackets with hoods sized to fit a head, not a helmet.

Ski jackets with no hood.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy