Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Broken Humerous (ball)

Poster: A snowHead
@Mrs NBT, commiserations. Miserable, and especially feeling you might not be getting the optimum treatment. Don't skimp on physio - paying for it makes sense!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
So sorry I was 3 days into the first of trips this season. very lucky I had private medical cover. Good luck. What did you break?
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Even managed to cook a proper meal tonight. Roasted veg lasagne. Think I need to feign helplessness
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@dan100, haha! I managed to make mince pies with home made pastry in week 2. Rolling pastry with right hand and the tips of my fingers on the left was good physio!
@Mrs NBT- sounds miserable. I was on day 2 of a season pass with the hope of getting about 8 weeks skiing in. I went to A&E on our return to the U.K. and my X rays were sent to the virtual fracture clinic, with an emailed response and pro forma exercise sheet. An appointment came through for an in person review (as is good clinical practice I understand) in week 3. By then I’d seen a consultant orthopaedic surgeon in person. FYI if you can throw money at the problem for some peace of mind, he cost £250 plus £140 for the x ray.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Mrs NBT, bad luck!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
thanks everyone.
i've arranged to see a private recommended physiotherapist at the end of the week. i've got another 4 weeks before the fracture has healed, the french style sling will be off in 2 weeks, which is really good. i can't start proper physio any earlier as i mustn't move the arm.
nbt had bought me some new skis, the snow had been great and my refresher lesson had gone well, cest la vie. it's going to be hard waiting a whole year for the opportunity to ski again.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Ive broken bones skiing twice collar bone and now this and both times uk consultants have had me out of french slings as soon I’ve got in. Have you done the same as me and perty and broken ball of humerus. Sounds risky starting physio without proper fracture review. My X-ray suggested 3 breaks - the ct scan quite a few more.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes one fracture on ball of the humerus. No proper physio until after my fracture clinic. Only gentle stretching of my elbow, squeezing on an old sock and some gentle bending of the elbow (all on the nhs website and given the ok by my physiotherapist on the phone). I was also told to stand on one leg to aid balance a couple of times a day.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
More normality returning. Worked in the office yesterday. Even walked our younger retriever today (though glad she didn’t see other dogs as she hasn’t learnt other dogs are none of her business). Normally I walk both dogs together but not confident to do that yet. Staring to feel like it’s sticking together.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
We have one dog, a mere 8kg Jack Russell, that’s quite enough for me to handle- I can’t imagine doing the same with a lively retriever!. It was easy to forget to hold the lead in my right (uninjured side) hand when juggling keys and the garden gate even with a sling on. I avoided any walks with stiles and very slippery mud. Dog walks have been a great help for staying sane and feeling reasonably fit.

Physio is going well here in France, but I’m pretty achy after yesterday’s session, part of which focussed on robust massaging of muscles around the back of my shoulder and armpit as well as lots more of the semi assisted arm raised with a pole. I can now lift my arm straight out in front and slowly raise it to almost straight up, though it’s not an entirely pain free process. Out to the side I’m getting it above horizontal. My shoulder feels “looser”, but I have no strength at all. This is week 7.5 since the accident. I’ve driven a bit more, but I can’t see myself driving my manual car back in the uk for another couple of weeks at least.

Last edited by Ski the Net with snowHeads on Thu 25-01-24 14:20; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Sounds like you're both doing well but both feeling the vulnerability of an arm and shoulder that has hardly been used for weeks.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Went to fracture clinic yesterday and saw a Dr. after (the consultant I was supposed to see was too busy). I was just short of 3 hours waiting. The NHS were very good and I can start physio.
Good luck to everyone else and a speedy recovery.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Fortunately when I start driving it will be an automatic. Perty do you think you will ski this season? Mrs NBt good news - sounds as slightly less serious as the consultant said mine was in 8 bits. That said you may have issues arising from dislocation. Not driving is a pain. Due to a magic titanium plate I drove within 3 weeks of my collar bone break.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
When I was at the Val Thorens medical centre, the short medical report I received said no skiing for 90 days. I could have claimed on insurance and surrendered my season pass but didn’t. 90 days takes me to the first week in March and I’m planning to come back to France on 8th March for a week, at which point I’ll see how I feel. It’s not just whether I feel physically able to, but also confidence. I don’t want to end up one of those people who ends up never regaining their former ability to ski, not through technical issues, but loss of bottle! If my arm feels ok with a decent range of movement, I might treat that week as a chance to get back on skis, and test the water by pottering about gently on piste with no expectations for more.

Then we’re back to France again for Easter weekend for a couple of weeks, which could be more interesting. On a purely practical level, getting my upper body strength back is a big issue for anything more gnarly this winter..be it a spot of gentle touring (which is about as much as I could manage pre accident any way), or gentle off piste- I need to be able to push myself up after falling over, which can be hard enough in soft snow without a wonky arm. Arm currently feels it would as useful as a piece of spaghetti in those circumstances!

If I get to ski I regard it as a bonus this season. I could have felt pretty despondent, we had so many plans and hopes for skiing this winter, and Mr P has already managed a few, but I have discovered my self to be a “glass half full” sort of person, though I’m sure I would have been far more down had the injury been more likely to hinder skiing longer term . I’m still getting out in the snow, still avidly checking snow forecasts and vicariously enjoying hearing about the exploits of Mr P and friends.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Perty wrote:
When I was at the Val Thorens medical centre, the short medical report I received said no skiing for 90 days. I could have claimed on insurance and surrendered my season pass but didn’t. 90 days takes me to the first week in March and I’m planning to come back to France on 8th March for a week, at which point I’ll see how I feel. It’s not just whether I feel physically able to, but also confidence. I don’t want to end up one of those people who ends up never regaining their former ability to ski, not through technical issues, but loss of bottle! If my arm feels ok with a decent range of movement, I might treat that week as a chance to get back on skis, and test the water by pottering about gently on piste with no expectations for more.

Then we’re back to France again for Easter weekend for a couple of weeks, which could be more interesting. On a purely practical level, getting my upper body strength back is a big issue for anything more gnarly this winter..be it a spot of gentle touring (which is about as much as I could manage pre accident any way), or gentle off piste- I need to be able to push myself up after falling over, which can be hard enough in soft snow without a wonky arm. Arm currently feels it would as useful as a piece of spaghetti in those circumstances!

If I get to ski I regard it as a bonus this season. I could have felt pretty despondent, we had so many plans and hopes for skiing this winter, and Mr P has already managed a few, but I have discovered my self to be a “glass half full” sort of person, though I’m sure I would have been far more down had the injury been more likely to hinder skiing longer term . I’m still getting out in the snow, still avidly checking snow forecasts and vicariously enjoying hearing about the exploits of Mr P and friends.

I asked frosty when he felt he could have skied and he said 14 weeks so you have a chance. I’m pretty down as I had 3 more trips planned including one to 3V tomorrow, one is early March and one with family at Easter. I’m hoping that I might be able to ski at the end of April with my son in Tignes (week 14). I do recognise that prospect is much less than 50%. Tried to lift arm v carefully todsy given that accident is 3 weeks tomorrow. Laughable I can’t lift it at all without use of right arm. Can now do pendulum exercises. Next week I can start trying to lift arm with my other arm. It’s whether 8 weeks post physio I can get sufficient strength and mobility to ski properly. I find it difficult when my son is talking about skiing when we speak and I know that probably I won’t ski until next year.
latest report
@dan100, don't do it. I felt I could have done an empty blue run,.quiet and in perfect snow, knowing I mustn't fall.
I know it feels like your soul Eh oh! ️ a being ripped out as your son is out there, but the damage you could do would see you out for another season, and probably affect you forever.
snow conditions
Frosty the Snowman wrote:
@dan100, don't do it. I felt I could have done an empty blue run,.quiet and in perfect snow, knowing I mustn't fall.
I know it feels like your soul Eh oh! ️ a being ripped out as your son is out there, but the damage you could do would see you out for another season, and probably affect you forever.

Ok chile in august snowheads broken humerus buggered up our shoulders trip.
snow report
I too feel absolutely down and crestfallen that I won't be skiing in March and have to wait another year (we had 3 weeks booked). However as Frosty the Snowman says one can do irreparable damage and in my head its just not worth it if you try to ski again this season. As others have said the injured arm has no strength and will take possibly months to get back to speed.
It's very hard when one is a person who's sporty and takes part in many activities and as I've been in this situation twice before in the last 10 years, it is indeed difficult and frustrating. I must admit to shedding quite a few tears in the last 3 weeks.
snow report
My accident is 8 weeks ago today. Driving is getting easier-but at the same time being able to move my left arm more means it ached more at the end of the day. I can feel some muscles starting to work again!
This morning I’m going to head to the swimming pool in Les Menuires. I very much doubt I’ll be able to actually swim, but it will be nice to move around in the water, and I intend to use the sauna- a good warm place to stretch.

@Mrs NBT, Are you going to head to the mountains even if you can’t ski? I know I’m very fortunate as we have our own ski place, but I’ve really felt better just being in the mountains, and far better than I would have had I been back home in windswept soggy Britain. I got some decent crampons for walking in the snow- I didn’t know which to buy, but I have one set with real spiky teeth (definitely not for wooden floors). I found I didn’t need or want to walk with a pole as they’ve been a godsend, (as has having a dog to walk). I’ve probably done an average of 4-5 miles per day. I’ve used the pedestrian friendly lifts for various walks and met up with Mr P and friends on occasion at lunchtime or later in the day.
snow report
Well, much to my surprise, I did manage a couple of lengths of somewhat lopsided breast stroke yesterday. Madeye-Smiley Madeye-Smiley. I didn’t want to push it, so sculled a couple more lengths on my back, then retreated to the jacuzzi and steam room.
Had a good physio session this morning with some strength training. Also a new exercise to improve movement- standing at a right angle to the wall with my shoulder up against or v close to it, I had to make an arc with my straight arm against the wall as far as I could -I managed from behind my hip to up behind my head (using finger tips for the very last part!). I feel progress has gone up a level in the last couple of days.
latest report
At least you weren’t swimming in circles.
snow conditions
Well have been doing pendulum exercises for a week now and starting moving arm to level with shoulder (need to lift left arm with my right to achieve this). If arm out horizontal is 3 o’clock and arm down is 6 o clock the reality I could only get my arm to 5 o’clock without help which I understand is about what is expected. Feels like arm is knotting together even if strength and range of movement isn’t there.
latest report
@dan100, sounds like progress. I feel in a real in between stage at the moment. 8.5 weeks in. On the plus side- I had the dog pulling on the lead held on my injured side yesterday and I had no pain in my arm as a result. I also walked with a pole in that hand and there was no jarring sensation in my arm either.
Some of my upper arm muscles still feel really feeble and are achy despite physio input and my best efforts to do the exercises get them going again. It feels a real mission to get my arm up above my head, though I can do it. I hope that’s just a normal stage in the healing process. I probably need to given myself a day off or keep exercises light for a day or two.
I have my last French physio session tomorrow before returning to the U.K. Then it’s a week till my first appointment with a physio at home. Tomorrow is going to be a rather sad day as I leave the mountains, husband and dog to return home (need to get back to work). Sad Sad
snow conditions
Perty wrote:
@dan100, sounds like progress. I feel in a real in between stage at the moment. 8.5 weeks in. On the plus side- I had the dog pulling on the lead held on my injured side yesterday and I had no pain in my arm as a result. I also walked with a pole in that hand and there was no jarring sensation in my arm either.
Some of my upper arm muscles still feel really feeble and are achy despite physio input and my best efforts to do the exercises get them going again. It feels a real mission to get my arm up above my head, though I can do it. I hope that’s just a normal stage in the healing process. I probably need to given myself a day off or keep exercises light for a day or two.
I have my last French physio session tomorrow before returning to the U.K. Then it’s a week till my first appointment with a physio at home. Tomorrow is going to be a rather sad day as I leave the mountains, husband and dog to return home (need to get back to work). Sad Sad

Work does get in the way of life. I’m 5 weeks behind but I just tried and could reach another 2 inches higher. When did you stop wearing sling and start driving- at the minute I couldn’t lift left arm to steering wheel
ski holidays
Thank you for this thread that I’ll be reading with great interest! Was in Austria last week. Day 1, fell, fractured humerus shaft just below the shoulder! Was put into a plaster cast with a very elaborate collar & cuff in Austria & went to fracture clinic on Monday, back here in Cardiff. Bone had hinged out of alignment so they’ve removed the cast & Im now in a brace with collar & cuff. Forearm & hand very swollen& bruised but can move fingers & wrists, no power in the arm at all! I’m back in clinic in 2 weeks with fingers crossed it’s still in alignment. Had a week booked in Serre Chevalier in March as well which, obviously, isn’t happening Sad
snow conditions
@dan100, I ditched the big blue french sling/stab proof vest at around week 4 - around New Year’s Eve - shortly before I think (Funny how it’s a bit of a blur). I know NY’s eve dinner was the first time I found myself comfortably using a knife and fork normally. I’d bought a more conventional fabric sling before we got to France but tended to stick with the big blue one until I was past the 4 week stage. I then used the fabric one when out and about walking the dog and just as a precaution..I’d slip my arm in and out when I thought it was ok. I think I finally stopped taking that with me a couple of weeks ago. Being in a ski resort with ice and snow about made me more cautious than I would have otherwise been (also have some excellent crampons). I didn’t use the sling in the house at all from new year week as far as I can recall, though I found myself holding my arm protectively across my body (apparently that’s normal, but it adds to the tension in the shoulder and neck muscles). I drove for the first time just after the 6 week mark…down the mountain in Moutiers for a couple of miles. We have an automatic car, but I didn’t do any more driving or winding mountain drives until early last week (week 7). It’s still quite hard to lift my left arm up, but I can do it and feel quite safe driving now, but it does make my shoulder ache.

@Scarletgirl, your injury sounds like yet another messier permutation of our mutual predicament, though it sounds like you haven’t fractured the ball itself. I think I’m the one who’s done the neck of the humerus and the ball, and Dan’s done the ball. Ditto Mrs NBT. Frosty the snowman just managed to break everything and have to be screwed back together. Welcome to the club! Very Happy
ski holidays
Scarletgirl wrote:
Thank you for this thread that I’ll be reading with great interest! Was in Austria last week. Day 1, fell, fractured humerus shaft just below the shoulder! Was put into a plaster cast with a very elaborate collar & cuff in Austria & went to fracture clinic on Monday, back here in Cardiff. Bone had hinged out of alignment so they’ve removed the cast & Im now in a brace with collar & cuff. Forearm & hand very swollen& bruised but can move fingers & wrists, no power in the arm at all! I’m back in clinic in 2 weeks with fingers crossed it’s still in alignment. Had a week booked in Serre Chevalier in March as well which, obviously, isn’t happening Sad

Sorry to hear that. Also based in wales. I’ve got bupa but the guy to try and see is tim Matthews who is the specialist in upper arms.
latest report
[quote="Perty"]@dan100, I ditched the big blue french sling/stab proof vest as soon as I got home. Thinking I might be able to wean off sling next week.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Scarletgirl, Oooh that sounds painful. I broke my humerus at the cuff 10 years ago. I had a lot of physhio and had sessions at the local hospital hydro pool.
@Perty, You seem to be doing very well. This weekend I'll try using a knife and fork. Today is the first day that I can totally take off the big French 'stab vest' type sling Very Happy. Although I will probably pop it back on for sleeping in and going out (arm gets tired). I will see what my physiotherapist says on Monday about progress, as I feel it's not too good. Although I have been managing a few chores eg doing the laundry. I won't be going out in March as it will cost too much and I couldn't cope with everyone around skiing and I'm stuck walking (which I can do at home in our hilly semi rural area). But I agree it would be just nice to be in the mountains.
snow report
Mrs NBT, yes..I found the blue stab proof vest quite a comfort at night and for going out as extra security, but by week 4 the the sling part (a separate panel that velcroed to the vest) was losing its stickiness, which was a bit of a nuisance, but I used it as best I could for about another week, and then changed to a more conventional sling which was so much easier to wear over clothes.

Don’t get too down about progress..from your first post it seems your injury was just 4 weeks ago, and I reckon I was at about the same stage as you are now. I think after the end of week 4 is regarded as the point at which the physio can really start to kick in. I had my first physio session at 4 weeks and 4 days (possibly a bit later than ideal but Christmas, NY and travelling to France got in the way). I felt great afterwards- it was a real boost, even though I felt I seized up 24 hrs later! At that time I was wary about trying to replicate much of the physio exercises at home, but I got more confident about over the following couple of weeks. In another month I’m sure you will feel MUCH more like normal, even if strength is lacking.

I had my last session of physio in France this morning before my return to the U.K. . At the end Edouard gave my arm and shoulder a final massage and manipulation-he’s the one who was prepared to push it a bit more. I still get pain and knots from things tensing back up and he really has the technical skill to know what the cause is and relieve them. He seemed pleased with the extent of movement I’d achieved thus far, which was a positive note to end on.

I now have a repertoire of exercises to draw upon daily pending my first uk physio session late next week. They are mostly directed to restoring and maintaining the range of movement as well as rebuilding strength. The kitchen broom handle will be sacrificed to continue working on my straight arm raises to the side..now up to about 60 degrees above horizontal. I can just about get my arm up straight above my head lifting in an arc from in front without assistance, but it’s still an effort . I’ve bought various resistance bands which the physios introduced in the last week or so for strength training. Might head to the local swimming pool tomorrow to see how my breast stroke has improved since my first attempt last week. It’ll probably still be pathetic! Madeye-Smiley
ski holidays
What a lovely informative thread this has been. Thanks for all the input, it's much appreciated.
ski holidays
This is the sling @Mrs NBT has

https://www.sober.fr/en/produit/stabishould-care/
ski holidays
@Mrs NBT, @nbt, This was mine…which might explain why I call it the stab proof vest! A big section that wraps right around the torso and over the shoulder, then the sling bit attaches to the front, then the elbow bit. In order to wear it at night, I had a bra and t shirt on underneath (not the best nightwear combo for someone prone to the occasional middle aged “hot moment”!). I needed Mr P to help me put it on for about the first 3 weeks, and then gradually I could manage myself. Unisex design…I.e..presumes the wearer will be completely flat chested!

EDIT-that’s not a pic of me wearing it, just one downloaded from the manufacturer’s website!
snow report
Week 9 plus one day. I've been back in the UK since Friday and today I'm going to work "in person" for the first time since 30th November. I've driven my manual car a couple of times over the weekend, but going down the gear changes from 3rd to 2nd gear can be quite painful so I'm going to take the train (strikes permitting) this week and see how I feel.

Progress this weekend and especially this morning as I realised that, with the broom handle or wall support, I can now get my arm completely to vertical from the side (thumb forward). I just tried that unsupported while idly typing this message on a train-I can still only get halfway, and I'm still getting pain in the muscle midway down the outside of my arm. However, it's progress and I feel "normal" most of the time.
snow report
How is everyone doing?
I'm finally out of the 'stab vest' during the times I'm not sleeping or out amongst people.
The first physio session was very good and has given me much needed confidence. It's hard to know if one is overdoing things or not doing enough to aid recovery. Interestingly she also advised as good a diet as I can possibly eat, also balance exercises, which is standing on one leg for a few minutes, then swapping legs. I'm also doing breathing exercises and abdominal crunches (not easy with bruised ribs Very Happy ).
My new decathlon skis (patrol 95) came out well in tests, so I have something to look forward to for next season.
snow conditions
@Mrs NBT, I am 7.5 months post surgery. Full movement, slight restriction putting my hand up my back, but all good. Have been mountain biking and skiing, even fell gently on it a couple of times. Strength is almost back to it's original. I have one movement, when lift and twist a door handle to lock it, that sometimes makes me wince. Suspect it uses the tendon I tore off.

My one tip - Do the physio, and a bit more. Getting the movement back can sting a bit, but be brave and push on through.

My metalwork will be staying in place and gives me no issues.

Good luck to all
snow conditions
I’m at 4.5 weeks now. starting to be able to lift my arm to 4 o clock. I have a further xray next Thursday. Consultant didn’t want me starting physio till that apply which will be just short of 6 weeks. That said he did give me exercises. Shoulder feels stable. I’ve had out of the sling abit more. Lifting my arm is effortful especially when sat down.
snow conditions
@Mrs NBT, so glad to hear you felt positive after your first physio session-I had the same feeling. I agree about not knowing whether one is not doing enough, or doing too much. I have my first UK based physio appointment this afternoon. I've been doing my exercises every morning since my last session in France and I can feel more range coming back, even since my post on Monday. I'm no longer getting a night time pain in my shoulder from knotted muscles. I even sort of windmilled my arms a bit yesterday-the backward direction was pretty limited but, compared with where I was a mere 5 weeks ago at my first physio session, the change is huge.
At last I can feel is some semblance of strength returning-what I couldn't manage with a resistance band 3 days ago, I can do this morning, and the sharp pain in the muscle in the middle of my upper arm that I got on certain movements has gone. Very Happy.
latest report
Such good news everyone.
Thanks for all your experiences and advice, which I have taken on board.
Onward and upwards and hopefully next season 'downhill' Toofy Grin
latest report
Contrast between French and UK physio today.
1. More paperwork first (inevitable as the guys in France didn't even know my surname for the 4 weeks I was attending sessions!);
2. More conversation-obviously. Very nice physio, seemed to know his stuff.
3.Hands on treatment was very much to check my range of movement and where I felt pain, rather than the more direct manipulation to stretch things. He was more cautious about hands on treatment given my stage of recovery.
4. I didn't actually perform a full set of new exercises, it was more of a question of being shown what do do, then having a quick go. I then left with a list of those exercises. I can see they are directed to the next level regarding range of movement and also strength. Time to ditch the broomhandle, though I might just keep it handy if I feel a bit stiff.

@Mrs NBT, now you are feeling things are on the right track, are you tempted to head to the mountains for one of your trips even if you can't ski?
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy