Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Espace Diamant 2023/2024 (Les Saisies, Praz sur Arly, Flumet, etc)

Poster: A snowHead
There seem to be quite a few Snowheads visit the area, with more in recent years, so I thought it might be handy to have a thread that pulls together info on the area, including snow conditions. We're off there in late January.

I'm hoping @pam w might kick us off with a condition report, as she was there over Xmas and knows the area well.

Also, does anyone know if there is a lift pass off in the Foret area near the Belambra?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well, happy to oblige, though I wasn't skiing. Daughter and family were. Conditions were fine in Saisies and higher parts of the ED (they went down to Notre Dame 1350 which was a lot quieter than Saisies) but lower areas were closed, as elsewhere throughout the region. We left yesterday afternoon but it seems it's been snowing this afternoon and the webcam right down in Hauteluce shows it's falling right down there, which surprises me. Current forecast has dodgy rain/snow level for this coming week. I don't know whether there's a lift pass office near the Belambra - my guess is that there's not, but obviously the tourist office could confirm. Might be a case of getting a bus into town (or in the other direction to Bisanne 1500) to buy passes. It was very busy this week, even quite busy yesterday, for a change-over day. Will be a different world by late January, which should be an ideal time to visit.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
There is a lift pass office at the bottom of the Carrets chair.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Yes, indeed, so I guess you could ski down to that!
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rjs wrote:

Splendid. Thank you. That looks like a nice cruise down a green to pick up a lift pass to ski on arrival day.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I recently discovered Openskimap, which I love. This is the map for Espace Diamant:

https://openskimap.org/?obj=0345d73f7a4bf0f49815ccb16306a3ec6371544b#12.5/45.77722/6.53064

It plots the runs and lifts etc. onto a real map, with terrain marked, and provides useful info like actual total length of pistes (rather than what some resorts claim - Espace Diamant seem to be fairly honest with their claims).
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@pam w, sorry to bug you again, but I'm hoping you might have some knowledge of the Les Saisies ski schools. One of our party is a beginner skiers and is keen to join ski school. It looks like the options are ESF and ESI. Any thoughts on which is likely to be better?
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Been snowing hard since 4pm and was cold enought last night and during the morning to have the snow cannons on.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
rjs wrote:

Thanks for this. It worked out really conveniently.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
We're got back yesterday from a week in Les Saisies. I'll try and do a trip report at some point.

The conditions in the Les Saisies bowl remained good throughout the week, in spite of both rain and then warm weather. The lower resorts were suffering, though. My trip down to Flumet on Wednesday was a bit of an adventure, including taking my skis off and walking for a short distance where the notice of thin snow rather oversold the condition of the piste.

I really enjoyed the area. It was nice to explore somewhere new. Some of the piste grading seemed a bit arbitrary and I've not ridden that many drag tows in years.

It's was a great area for the beginner in our group, who did ski school with ESF. The Belambra hotel has a great location from a skiing perspective and is an easy bus ride into town for shopping etc.

ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@sugarmoma666, sorry I missed your question about ski schools. I'd have said I prefer the ESI but i thought that ESF had classes starting from Belambra! You were adventurous to go down to Flumet in current conditions. Yes, it's like another world down there. Skiing 40 years ago. Glad you enjoyed it. snowHead That's impressive snow sculpting. Snow looking quite good!
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
There have been reports of sheet ice from all over the place recently (though IME sheet ice is very rare......). So sounds as though Les Saisies was a good choice.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@Origen, I'm thinking of starting a thread to see what the oldest chairlifts still in operation in Europe are. The Evette chair out of Flumet, commissioned in 1971, was quite a long experience. However, I found from skiresort.info that the Planay lift linking Notre Dame de Bellacombe 1350 to Mont Reguet (or "Regret" as it became known to us, based on the conditions and prevalence of drag tows) is even older at 1969. The view from Planay is very picturesque and I got to ride it both ways due to the conditions Very Happy

I didn't make it down to Flumet Les Seigneurs of Notre Dame de Bellacombe 1150 as there were no lifts operating out of them but did make it down to all of the other village bases.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This was the point on Wednesday at which I decided to take my skis off and walk for a while.

Thankfully the conditions improved just round the corner and were actually pretty acceptable by the Flumet nursery slope at the bottom.

The resort were making a good job of keeping things open where they could. This was the bottom of the red down to Hauteluce (1150m) on Thursday:

latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Origen wrote:
There have been reports of sheet ice from all over the place recently (though IME sheet ice is very rare......). So sounds as though Les Saisies was a good choice.

The ski down to Praz sur Arly on Tuesday was rock solid corduroy and really not pleasant and there was some hardpack in some places but I didn't find any sheet ice on the pistes. In fact, it was possible to stay on nice snow in the Les Saisies bowl and around the Sommet de l'Espace Diamant if you chose.
snow report
@sugarmoma666,
The Cliffhanger chair at Glencoe was built in 1960. Must be one of the older lifts. It’s simplicity probably means it can be maintained almost indefinitely.
https://www.skiresort.info/ski-resort/glencoe-mountain/ski-lifts/l97403/
snow report
Origen wrote:
That's impressive snow sculpting.

There was a Lego minifig at the bottom of the Chamois chair a few days ago, but gone now.
snow conditions
Hi all, anyone in or have been in the Espace Diamant this week able to comment on conditions? Have been in La Clusaz for the last week and planning a day trip over. TIA
snow conditions
There used to be some spectacular little ice caves with beds and bedside table and lamp down there sometimes - maybe the same liftie! Was it a drag lift? My memory fades......
snow report
@PG1972, Where were you thinking of skiing? I haven't been up to Les Saisies since Monday.
snow report
@rjs, Probably park up at Les Saisies and take it from there depending on how we find things.
ski holidays
I have two vouchers for one day's Crest-Voland ski pass if a couple of people fancy a free day skiing in the area. They need to be used by two different people and I need to be there at the same time to validate them as they came with my season pass. I plan to be back there from the end of French half-term.
snow report
Really sticky snow today in Les Saisies due to the Foehn wind, I gave up at 11:30. Still plenty of coverage though, the area got new snow yesterday

All the lower lifts in Crest-Voland, Flumet and Praz-sur-Arly have been closed since Monday.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy