Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Japan 23/24

Poster: A snowHead
I'll be skiing in Hokkaido in 3 weeks time Very Happy

Time to start obsessing over snow and forecasts. From what I can see (looking at the SnowJapan data), it looks to be fairly average so far in terms of accumulation and snow depth in Hokkaido. Not the best, not the worst. Looking a bit mild at times during the next week with winds often slack or coming from non-ideal directions for snowfall. Fingers crossed for a big January + February.

Last winter I skied probably the best snow of my life in Hokkaido around the end of January. Hoping for a repeat!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
me to! Flying out in 3 weeks time myself.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
I think I'm the only westerner without a tattoo in most of Hokkaido's onsens...
I thought they didn't allow tattoos? The one we visited last Feb didn't. We even saw a restaurant that prohibited tattoos!
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mountainaddict wrote:
Quote:
I think I'm the only westerner without a tattoo in most of Hokkaido's onsens...
I thought they didn't allow tattoos? The one we visited last Feb didn't. We even saw a restaurant that prohibited tattoos!

They often don't, but one of my favourite onsens in Hokkaido does allow tattoos and you often see people with tattoos there:

https://maps.app.goo.gl/a8MBiCyNbHEybGcC9
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Any Onsens in Grand Hirafu? To much of an effort to go anywhere else snowHead
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Gored wrote:
Any Onsens in Grand Hirafu? To much of an effort to go anywhere else snowHead

Once in place certainly worth going to special places
https://niseko-grandpapa.com/hotsprings/
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
GFS ensembles for Niseko showing good agreement on a mild-ish period from now until 5th January with a brief colder interlude on 31st. Temperatures probably going above 0 at times at resort base levels.

After 5th very messy, generally looking colder but various runs are bringing low pressure systems up Japan causing short (relatively) warm periods.

latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I'll be checking and rechecking my flights in the coming weeks especially given the crash of the JAL plane in HND from CTS.

Unreal everyone on the JAL flight survived. Yikes.

https://news.sky.com/story/japan-plane-fire-latest-hundreds-were-on-board-plane-footage-shows-explosion-as-it-taxies-on-runway-13040808
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Brian in SLC wrote:
I'll be checking and rechecking my flights in the coming weeks especially given the crash of the JAL plane in HND from CTS.

https://news.sky.com/story/japan-plane-fire-latest-hundreds-were-on-board-plane-footage-shows-explosion-as-it-taxies-on-runway-13040808

Everyone keeps asking me if I am still going after this & the earthquake!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Gored wrote:
Brian in SLC wrote:

Got caught in a Richter 7 quake in Tokyo a while back.

The top half of the skyscraper swayed like a flower in the wind.

Kinda fun. Like a free Disney ride.

Japanese (new) buildings are so well built. Little to worry about.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Gored wrote:

Many people don't understand risk. Japan is one of the best-prepared countries in the world for earthquakes and tsunami. The risk is tiny, but is no more or less than it was before.

The plane incident was a terrible accident. But no doubt the Japanese (and everyone else) are being hyper vigilant to not let something like this happen again right now. The risk was tiny before, but is probably even less now.

The phenomenal fast evacuation of all 379 people from the burning A350 reinforces how safe and well-trained the JAL staff are, and how impressive modern aircraft engineering is.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:
The phenomenal fast evacuation of all 379 people from the burning A350 reinforces how safe and well-trained the JAL staff are, and how impressive modern aircraft engineering is
And how compliant the Japanese are in following authority/instructions. Apparently everyone remained seated, as instructed, until told to move and no one attempted to take their hand luggage with them. Textbook evacuation.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
What would seasoned tourers esp with Japan touring experience think about this - I use norrona roldal long jacket and trousers as well as lighter shells that are usually put to use during touring or when warmer spell hits. Wondering whether even packing the light/shell bits. Heading to the coldest part of Hokkaido and previously never even unpacked the light stuff. Will be doing a week or guided tour with some touring but still think going in full/warmer gear.
Temps swing from -5 to -20 at town level and will be lower on a mountain I would imagine.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@mooney058, Quite a personal choice really. Personally I always get hot when I exercise. Out of 5-6 trips with ski touring in west and central Hokkaido (always mid January to mid February), I'm usually wearing either just a base layer, or a base layer + fleece, or base layer + shell jacket on the climbs. Usually with thin gloves and a buff around the ears to keep the wind off. Then put on all three layers for the descent.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@musehead, thanks, will chuck the light shell jacket too. Still new to touring but never did it in -15/-20 conditions. But as it will be mixed group on boards and skis I do not expect long stretches, mostly easy access from what I understood. Will chuck the light stuff in skibag then, should still be under 23 kg
ski holidays
After a fairly dry few days and a mild afternoon today (up to 4.7C in Sapporo, 2.9C in Furano), forecast seems good for Hokkaido for the next 10 days. This is for Niseko Hirafu at base level:

Winds generally from W to NW and staying cold, should cause daily increasing snowfall totals. Should expect (much) more than the mm suggested above.
latest report
Sorry for thread drift but any decent restaurant recommendations for Niseko? We’re in Niseko village but have a car. Thanks in advance
latest report
If you like Ramen try the place in the Setsu hotel, it's called Afumi or Afuri or something like that. They did a nut based bowl, that was spectacular. Also lots of weird cocktails.......
ski holidays
https://www.winedineniseko.com/niseko-restaurants/el-asador This looks good. Lots of other options on the website
snow report
Quite impressive accumulations west of Sapporo over the last day or so. These stations are all more or less at sea level:

Yoichi

00:00 7th Jan: 35cm
18:00 7th Jan: 96cm (+61cm in 18hr)

Otaru

00:00 7th Jan: 18cm
20:00 7th Jan: 86cm (+68cm in 20hr)

Rankoshi (near Niseko)

18:00 7th Jan: 61cm
06:00 8th Jan: 119cm (+58cm in 12hr)

Not sure what the resorts will report, but the Kiroro live snow ruler camera was cleared around 5pm and fully buried again (+35cm ish) before 9pm.
latest report
yeah. camerea on niseko united & rhythm look likes it is puking.
Looks busy as well!!! long weekend national holiday across Japan.
latest report
Any boots on the ground reports?
snow conditions
@Gored, I’ll be in Furano Sunday will update when I’m there snowHead
snow report
Has anyone got any physio/massage recommendations for Furano? Thanks
snow conditions
From the man on the ground in Okushiga Madeye-Smiley Not me!

ski holidays
Aymar seems to be enjoying himself at Asahidake
https://www.instagram.com/reel/C186D9syBIW/?igsh=bG16aGtpN2QzeWNm
snow conditions
Snowed almost the whole day in Asahikawa/Kamui
latest report
One day it is snowing the whole day, next is a bluebird

2.5 snowheads at Kamui Ski Links
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Have started to adjust my body clock. +5 GMT at the moment.
Aiming for +7 before flying. Would be difficult with work otherwise.
Very weird getting up at 2am. Monday will be a big test as I am in the office that is an hour commute.
ski holidays
Decent first day at Tanigawadake Tenjindaira

http://youtube.com/v/1vCaSKQp0Q8

Tomorrow looks promising too…
ski holidays
Just arrived in a very snowy Furano after going large in Tokyo last night - we finished up at 4.30am, what an amazing place will definitely be back. Flight on ANA from London was brilliant would definitely recommend them.

We’re staying at the Nozo hotel which only opened in December, very nice too.

First day skiing tomorrow with Phil Howell from Hokkaido Vibe who is with us for the week snowHead
ski holidays
Think my next trip will be in the Japan alps + Osaka/Kyoto
Fly to Tokyo next week & head to niseko a week later.
snow conditions
Guernseyfreerider wrote:
Just arrived in a very snowy Furano after going large in Tokyo last night - we finished up at 4.30am, what an amazing place will definitely be back. Flight on ANA from London was brilliant would definitely recommend them.

First day skiing tomorrow with Phil Howell from Hokkaido Vibe who is with us for the week snowHead

Enjoy. You’ll need to ski hard to work off all that food you’ve been feasting on snowHead
latest report
@BobinCH, it’s the only reason I’m here tbh wink

First day in Furano done. A nice chilled morning skiing a couple of groomers to warm up and then we played in the trees off the kintanome romance lift (gotta love that name) followed. Still untracked snow to been found.
Leo Slemett is in town so I’m expecting a call later to discuss where we are going to ski together tomorrow.

Storm starting tonight and going into tomorrow, looks like the amount of dumpage has been downgraded but we shall
see snowHead
ski holidays
Guernseyfreerider wrote:

Did you book this some time in advance, and was it expensive?

I was planning on doing some fairly last-minute organising for my upcoming trip depending on snow conditions etc. But looking at Furano for the next few weeks, a lot of places are either fully booked or super expensive compared to my last few trips there!

Last season I stayed at Alpine Guest House in Furano for around £30 per night, last week of January. Also Petit Hotel MELON for around £45 per night, first week of February. Both single rooms.
snow report
Guernseyfreerider wrote:

You are SO lucky to be skiing with Phil.
He is an absolute top bloke and a close friend of my son...and dare I say it me.

Give him our very best wishes from Stefan and his dad!
snow report
@musehead, think we booked it a few months ago, £120 per night single room b&b
latest report
@rungsp, he’s a top man will do. We’ve also got Adam Tudgay doing tail guide duties this week to pick up all the bodies Laughing
latest report
Furano delivered the goods today! Storm was bigger than expected last night, we got on the first lift (gondola was closed) and then it was a sprint for first tracks on the piste off the Kintanomine 2 chair which had 15cm of on it - great fun and gone in 60 seconds!

With the top lifts closed all day we went looking for other options. Did a couple of laps directly under the romance 2 chair, great laugh and thankful for Phil our guide for pointing out in advance we needed to duck half way to avoid hitting the chair.

The rest of the day was spent in the trees and it was deeeep, absolutely amazing when I wasn’t sitting down wink https://www.instagram.com/reel/C2HAMufLRq7/?igsh=MWNwYW00dGdsempybA==

Some of the best skiing I’ve had in a long time and it’s been hosing it down all afternoon so tomorrow could be even better snowHead
snow conditions
It's a nice warm up under that chair, short laps and can be nice. A few years back:
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy