Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Scotland -- Snow Reports -- 2023-24

Poster: A snowHead
Cairngorm to open up the M1 poma today giving access to The White Lady and M1 pistes.

https://www.snow-forecast.com/whiteroom/cairngorm-to-open-upper-runs-to-experienced-skiers/

https://www.winterhighland.info/snowreports/index.php?resort=cg
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Excellent visibility, light winds and cool temperatures today. Should be good if limited skiing, available today at Glenshee. I suspect the snow will be quick!
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:
Cairngorm to open up the M1 poma today giving access to The White Lady and M1 pistes.
Just a shame there's no access for beginners/novices to the relatively snow-sure, Ptarmigan Bowl on the upper mountain Confused

I wonder if they've ever considered something like a funicular to get people up there? It could really transform the place... rolling eyes

I'm fearing the absolute worst on that subject Shocked Do we assume it's closed for good now?
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@mountainaddict, I dont think its dead, they need it to sell coffee and cake to summer day trippers...........

I dont know any regular Scottish skiers who seriously consider Cairngorm for lift served skiing now - I dont believe the management really care any more, sadly.

I prefer Glenshee and Glencoe anyway, both are simpler for a day trip for me.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@mountainaddict, couldn’t agree more ref the Ptarmigan. Such a great area for beginners. Memories of teaching my son there.

The Cairngorm funicular situation is dire. How could they have got it so wrong? rolling eyes

I’m up in Moray about an hour from Aviemore. Glenshee do-able and I’ve enjoyed some good days there. Glencoe too far, for a day trip anyway. Never been.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
Glencoe too far, for a day trip anyway. Never been
It's a great set up with some fantastic skiing amidst great scenery. Management committed to improving the facilities and experience too. Well worth a visit. You know it makes sense @Boofont Very Happy

What about Nevis Range? You been there? Also great on its day (despite going a bit to rack and ruin...). The Back Corries can be like the Vallee Blanche!
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Quote:
I dont think its dead, they need it to sell coffee and cake to summer day trippers....
Sad but true Confused

Quote:
I dont know any regular Scottish skiers who seriously consider Cairngorm for lift served skiing now - I dont believe the management really care any more, sadly
Correct. We generally get up to the Scottish ski areas at least 6 times each season but have yet to buy a Cairngorm lift ticket since the funicular debacle. We've ski toured there a few times though - and even tried to support the ski area by buying hot drinks etc and stuff in the gift shop rolling eyes It's all such a shame, as we really enjoy the ski area. We've had some fantastic days there over the years.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Only been Nevis Range once, over 20 years ago. It was so windy. If I recall we only did a few runs then came back and got out money back. Again, it’s a 2.5 to 3 hour drive.

Sadly I think the reality is that Scottish skiing is on its last legs. A bit off-topic but it’s also sad that the indoor place at Braehead (forget the name) has closed.

Here’s a pic from 2016 from the top of Cairngorm to remind us! My son, now 16.

ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I think the funicular is dead. They need 2 to 3 chairs on the main uplift and one from the Ciste car park. The plateau is the most snow sure area in Scotland but no way to get there. Just spend the money on traditional uplift and not a white elephant.

At Glenshee the council need to allow cars with all season tyres and chains through and not just shut the road because someone in their 4x4 with summer tyres gets stuck.

Just now, at Glencoe the hill is filling in but not enough snow for lift accesses skiing just now.

At least at Glencoe they are investing. There is a new ski school head and a new annex to reduce queues. They have now installed a new ticket system where you just rock up and scan your booking.
Last year they installed a new chair.

Contrast that with Nevis. Only ski hire at the weekend. No ski school anymore.

Just my personal opinion. I only go to Glencoe and Glenshee these days.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads

This was over the back at Glenshee today. The summit is Cairn O Claise and the best skiing we found today was descending from the sunlit ridge to the left of the pic. Nice granular snow (but a bit thin) on a very hard base gave some nice turns Very Happy

Looking back towards Banana Gully at the top of Glen Isla. The gully is filled in but would probably need a brave soul to ski it just now Shocked
No wind today made for a memorable Scottish day on the hill Toofy Grin
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
It's another disaster season for Scotland.

Little snow, cr*p lifts, hostile / inept govt.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Whitegold wrote:
It's another disaster season for Scotland.

Little snow, cr*p lifts, hostile / inept govt.

When you have less than no idea why post your s#it€?

Through the history of Glencoe as the oldest commercial ski area, the AVERAGE opening date is 16th January. the very first season in 1956 didn’t start until 20th February. There have been seasons that have begun later in the year than other seasons have finished.

On CairnGorm there is a less than 50% chance of skiable snow on Christmas Day, while much more likely on New Year’s day. But for the funicular crap show the season would have actually got underway weeks ago. It’s a legitimate argument that money has been vastly misdirected because of the self protectionism of HIE, a hostile government to snowsports is a pretty absurd claim given the £££ spent.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Right about the lifts though, they are crap. Lol. Laughing
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Whitegold, posting p1sh again.

Pic from the top of the main basin lift at Glencoe .

snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@GlasgowCyclops, Nice. Just been on winterhighland, no snowsport as yet by the looks of it. I really should try and get over there sometime. Only time I've been near there was on a trials bike doing the Scottish Six Day Trial! That would have been at the bottom of the chair that takes you up to what I presume is the start of the ski area? I notice you've got Moray down as one of your locations, I'm there too.

Obviously really cold right now with this high sitting over Scotland. Lets hope the temp stays low but we get some snow coming in. Hopefully temps won't rise and kill the base layer. Ever the optimist I suppose... rolling eyes
ski holidays
Was at Glenshee today and glorious in the sun but extremely limited skiing.
Small dusting of new snow overnight freshened up what pistes there were and afternoon on Sunnyside the pistes softened up a little.
Basically apart from the beginners slopes there was one piste off Claybokie and three off Sunnyside - so 3 greens and an easy blue.
It was a little disappointing that they were charging full price day tickets for the experience - pretty sure they will get more punters if they reduced it with such limited area available but for me today I needed a day concentrating entirely upon drills so was always going to be a bit tedious Confused even with more to go at.
ski holidays
@Boofont, I live in Glasgow but my mother in law is in Burghead and I go there for weeks at a time. It used to be Asia for 10 days every month for years Happy

@dode is in Elgin so another local. Where are you?
ski holidays
@GlasgowCyclops, Elgin also.

Some change from Asia to Burghead!
ski holidays
snowheid wrote:
It was a little disappointing that they were charging full price day tickets for the experience - pretty sure they will get more punters if they reduced it

That's a bit off really. Of course they have overreads and operating costs but to expect people to pay full price with limited snowsport available is pretty crap. It looks like Cairngorm are doing the same.

Regarding the funicular at Cairngorm, grabbed this from yesterdays report on Winterhighland. Reads as if there may be some good news soon?

"We are still waiting on information from the contractors and our parent company on when the Mountain Railway may be handed back to us. As soon as we do, we will let you all know."
snow report
Quote:
We are still waiting on information from the contractors and our parent company on when the Mountain Railway may be handed back to us
Handed back and handed back in full working order are two rather different things. Or the fully working handover date might be...2028 Confused

Meanwhile, the upper lift tracks appear to have been pisted at Glencoe Smile If the two people visible in the main basin are ski touring, they could be in for a good day.

snow report
▶️ Watch this reel https://www.facebook.com/share/r/U2oKymRvdrdDSZGX/?mibextid=UalRPS

Some amazing tour reports being posted on the British Backcountry FB page. Some perfect weather this week in the highlands.
snow conditions
Turning very cold next week across the UK. The cold dry north westerly airstream may favour heavy showers at Glencoe which won’t need a lot more to get their season started. Hopefully Glenshee will get the little bit more it needs to open out to the Caenlochan. Westerly showers should also help fill the Cairnwell runs. Glenshee could be the most sheltered ski area at the start of next week.

Winterhighland is a great source for Scottish ski related information https://www.winterhighland.info/general/
latest report
@Peter S, Fingers crossed - for one reason and another I am not getting to the Alps this season so hoping for a good Scottish season.

I am lucky as I am self emp so am looking forward to some quiet quiet, bluebird midweek days !
snow report
Quote:
I am lucky as I am self emp so am looking forward to some quiet quiet, bluebird midweek days !
Yes, when it's good, you've just got to drop everything and make the most @GreenDay! This was when we did so last season - Cairngorm in Dec '22 and Glencoe in Jan '23 Very Happy

snow report
@mountainaddict, I love that pic on Glencoe, you feel like you are on top of the world on days like that !
snow conditions
Great pics guys.

I think we would all agree, get Scotland on a good day and it's as good as anywhere! Yes, lifts are pump, but then there's something quite exciting about getting launched four foot in the air as the poma gets picked up by the wire! Laughing
snow report
Boofont wrote:
Yes, lifts are pump....

Being an old fogey I'm not familiar with that adjectival use of the word 'pump', presumably it means cr@p or something similar? Toofy Grin
snow report
It'll probably be the 2024 Word of The Year @Alastair Pink! We heard it here first! Laughing

I'm assuming (given that I'd never heard it either) that the Cairngorm funicular could be described as worse than pump, or sub-pump? Laughing

Quote:
there's something quite exciting about getting launched four foot in the air as the poma gets picked up by the wire!
For those of us down south, we only have to go as far as Yad Moss in the North Pennines to experience that thrill! Very Happy
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Sums it up nicely Toofy Grin

http://youtube.com/v/JO3CkZDT9iw
latest report
Lesley McKenna is an inspiration, for sure.
snow report
Still not enough snow at Glencoe, a little more at Glenshee, but light snow forecast later today.

Getting a lot colder and snow forecast over the next week which is really positive.
snow report
Quite a few snow showers throughout the day on and around Ben Lawers today. Not a huge accumulation but very welcome. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Cairngorm and the lecht will pick up more snow overnight from the northerly but Glenshee already has 4 Pomas and a chairlift running and doesn’t need much more snow to get Tom Dearg and Caenlochan going. Fingers crossed.

https://www.ski-glenshee.co.uk/Snowroad-webcams
snow conditions
Trend towards cool if not cold Westerlies by end of the week into next week. If we get into cold zonality then it’s jackpot time for the West Coast mountains. Little snow has made it down to Nevis or Glencoe so far today, but already can see on the Coe webcams things drifting in from the NW, which is exactly what is needed to fill the gaps from the SEly snowfalls earlier this month.
latest report
Currently minus ten at the summit on Cairngorm. I think the record low there is only -12c, so quite a rare event.
snow conditions
@Peter S, -12? Surely it’s been colder than that? Can’t recall exactly but I think it was 2010 when there was a frost for about a month over Moray. Granted, it was my car, but I was seeing -12 and that was about 6 miles inland from the Firth. I may be wrong of course. Often the case. rolling eyes
snow report
"The coldest temperature is −26.9 °C (−16.4 °F) on 6 March 2007. Daytime temperatures staying below 0 °C (32 °F) all day occur most frequently between October and May but have been observed during every month of the year."

I remember several times -18 mornings in Braemar when I was doing the munros
snow report
Yes I’m out of date. It looks like the minimum temperature recorded at the summit AWS was minus 14c on the 28th February 2018:

https://rmets.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/wea.3390#:~:text=At%200100%20gmt%20on%201,for%20at%20least%2025%20years.

The lower temperatures referred to above are wind chill equivalents and valley station temperatures during periods of exceptional frost inversions.

The lowest recorded temperature on the summit of Ben Nevis was minus 17c.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Tue 16-01-24 23:36; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
Well, a quick perusal of the Cairngorm webcams reveals actual workers on the funicular track!

https://www.cairngormmountain.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/webcams/whitelady-full.jpg
snow report
Cairnwell t bar now open at Glenshee giving a reasonable selection of runs
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy