Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Maurienne Valley 2023/24 - Valloire/Valmeiner, Valmorel Grand Domaine, Val Cenis etc

Poster: A snowHead
Looking much whiter on the webcams...

Fingers crossed it lasts a bit longer this time, @davidof!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We went up to La Setaz with a snowboard and a sledge yesterday for a wonderful sunny winter day out. A number of people were skinning up/ skiing down / enjoying the wonderful conditions in the skiing area as well as in the Crêt rond area.
They have used the cold window to get the snow cannons to produce important heaps of snow on different slopes on La Setaz the past few days.
It has been snowing again since a little after lunch time in Les Verneys.
I drove up here on wednesday and on saturday evening with my new winter tires, part of the road was white but no real difficulties getting here.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
We are of to Valloire in Jan. We are flying into Grenoble, is there a better route / transfer than the bus-train-train-bus that seems to be suggested by the various public service travel sites?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
hire a car? although Grenoble seems to be particularly expensive for car hire
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
How’s the snow at St Francois de longchamps / Valmorel? we’ve committed to Geneva for 6th March and fancy going there or Valmeiner/Valloire
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
skimummk wrote:
How’s the snow at St Francois de longchamps / Valmorel? we’ve committed to Geneva for 6th March and fancy going there or Valmeiner/Valloire

The webcams for Valmorel look pretty white - although not sure how it'll be after another week or so of warmer temps. Most resorts should be pretty snow sure for the early March I would have thought... (normal caveats apply..)
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
ah - got it wrong - we are going to Morillion in March.... we are committed to Geneva on 6th Jan but still to pick a resort!!! arghhh getting the trips confused rolling eyes

Going to choose between St Francois de Longchamps and Valmeiner for January I think.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
That's a no-brainier. Valmeinier 1000%.

I've been virtually all major resorts in the Alps and Pyrenees (Serre-Chevalier to Schladming).
It surpassed my expectations by a mile. Lots of variation over 3 different mountain ridges, very snow sure, no traffic jams like to the Tarentaise, much better value for money, nice and friendly locals. And although Valmeinier 1800 is a drawing-board resort, it is of human size, max 5 levels, certainly no eyesore.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We've booked Valmeiner! The persuading factor was a 35% discount on the lift pass for that week - 184 euros for 7 days!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Anyone got an update on snow conditions in the Maurienne Valley? Thanks
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
capability wrote:

Above 1600m slopes are ok.

Les Karellis seems to have ok opening. North facing so not too affected by the sunny weather this week.
Valloire / Valmeinier looking good, for the time of year. We may head up there over the vacation.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
capability wrote:

Webcams are here.

Good uptop.

Conditions are better than Xmas 2022, when it rained for days.

https://www.le-corbier.com/en/webcams/
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
We'll be in Val Cenis in a couple of weeks, and will head to Bonneval at least twice. I'll update on arrival
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
capability wrote:

Friends have arrived at our apartment in the valley today and we arrive Saturday so can update by the weekend if needed.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
andmelffion wrote:
capability wrote:

Friends have arrived at our apartment in the valley today and we arrive Saturday so can update by the weekend if needed.

After or before new years day big dump?
latest report
Is there any forecasting on when one of these Retour d'Est is likely to sweep through from the Italian side?

There's some snow in the forecast over the next few days, but not a lot.

The Val Cenis snow pack at the bottom is reportedly 20cm to 30cm and 85cm at the top. Which is lower than previous season averages Sad
snow report
Gored wrote:
andmelffion wrote:
capability wrote:

After or before new years day big dump?

Friends have had a cracking couple of days, snow is ok in Val Cenis but better in Valmeinier and Valloire. Snow in the forecast for this afternoon and several days throughout the week so fingers crossed for some fresh powder (though will be staying on piste) to play in.
latest report
Hate to be ungrateful but a bit miffed that we might get snow on half our days next week - hope it all falls overnight Laughing
latest report
@skimummk, there on Saturday, can't wait Very Happy will take any snow at any time!
snow report
@Goof757 are you going to Valmeiner?

I’ll be the one making 10 times as many turns as necessary being “encouraged” by hubby to “just point down ffs”
ski holidays
@skimummk, Val Cenis (Lanslevillard) for us. Hope you have a great trip!
latest report
skimummk wrote:
Hate to be ungrateful but a bit miffed that we might get snow on half our days next week - hope it all falls overnight Laughing

It is hard not to get a soft spot for the place once you have been once. Then question why you have been wasting so much money visiting tourist trap large resorts snowHead
snow report
We’ll be in France for a week for skiing at the end of January. We’re open to everywhere but would like to avoid the mega resorts where English is spoken a lot. After something a bit more French.
We’ll have a car and are fine with driving to the ski resorts each day. Is there a nice little town in the Maurienne valley that would be a good base?
ski holidays
Any of the towns in the valley give you easy access to resorts…St Michel de Maurienne to Valmeinier, Valloire or Orelle for Vat Thorens and the wider 3 Valleys…St Jean de Maurienne for Les Sybelles, St Francois Longchamp…Modane for Valfrejus, La Norma, Aussois, Val Cenis, Bonneval sur Arc.

All very French with little English spoken.

Nice dump of snow here last night so can here them blasting up in Valmeinier this morning.
ski holidays
@skimummk, @Goof757, have a great trip!! Keep us updated on your trip and snow conditions! The webcams are looking great, but it also feels like a lot of rain has fallen below 1600m, so hopefully the lower slopes are okay.
latest report
I would go to Modane. It is a very nice town, centrally located between all the ski areas.
Valmeinier and Val Cenis are the nicest, but do not forget Bonneval.

And if you are lucky, and a retour d'est comes along, you can go to Bardonecchia via the Frejus tunnel. Bardonecchia is normally the epicenter of retour d'est.

Retour d'est explainer
https://wepowder.com/en/weblog/2023/01/21/what-is-a-retour-dest

Info on Modane
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Tourism-g661682-Modane_Savoie_Auvergne_Rhone_Alpes-Vacations.html
snow report
@Onnem, thanks. Great info
ski holidays
Handy Turnip wrote:
@skimummk, @Goof757, have a great trip!! Keep us updated on your trip and snow conditions! The webcams are looking great, but it also feels like a lot of rain has fallen below 1600m, so hopefully the lower slopes are okay.

Can report loads of snow on Saturday - we arrived very late as we were trying to sort out being given the keys to the wrong car (have given up trying to sort it out Laughing)

The pistes are in great condition, we’d light snow yesterday we went low and it was fine, but zero visibility due to cloud higher up in afternoon - today was very foggy in resort, but clear till about 2pm further up. Came back in complete cloud - couldn’t even see the next pole on piste - not fun!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skimummk, great news about the snow, less good news about the visibility. Looks like the sun will come out later this week.
Do you plan to go over to the Valloire side?

Last edited by You know it makes sense. on Mon 8-01-24 21:10; edited 1 time in total
latest report
skimummk wrote:
Handy Turnip wrote:

Can report loads of snow on Saturday - we arrived very late as we were trying to sort out being given the keys to the wrong car (have given up trying to sort it out Laughing)

The pistes are in great condition, we’d light snow yesterday we went low and it was fine, but zero visibility due to cloud higher up in afternoon - today was very foggy in resort, but clear till about 2pm further up. Came back in complete cloud - couldn’t even see the next pole on piste - not fun!

Is that all velmeinir side? Or have you been over to the shared mountain as well? The blue back to Valmeinir (armeira) is a nice run.. hope you like heights on a chair over gorge
latest report
We went to shared mountain yesterday but stayed on Valmeinier side - today we stayed in Valmeinier all day and I just did Lauzes over and over to get my confidence back - might head to Valloire tomorrow depending on weather.
ski holidays
skimummk wrote:
We went to shared mountain yesterday but stayed on Valmeinier side - today we stayed in Valmeinier all day and I just did Lauzes over and over to get my confidence back - might head to Valloire tomorrow depending on weather.

If you want to build confidence then the green and blue runs off the Setaz lift are lovely to cruise about on, with some tree cover if the weather is still a bit cloudy
snow conditions
andmelffion wrote:
skimummk wrote:

If you want to build confidence then the green and blue runs off the Setaz lift are lovely to cruise about on, with some tree cover if the weather is still a bit cloudy

Thanks - will tell my “route planner” and report back
ski holidays
we didn’t get to Setaz today - the problem is getting back - as a less than confident skier I was nervous of having a long run back especially on blues rather than green. For some reason the short run from top of grand drozes to bottom of moneul has become my nemesis and I’m snow ploughing it!
ski holidays
skimummk wrote:
we didn’t get to Setaz today - the problem is getting back - as a less than confident skier I was nervous of having a long run back especially on blues rather than green. For some reason the short run from top of grand drozes to bottom of moneul has become my nemesis and I’m snow ploughing it!

Yes I've had a few of those in my time - they get inside your head! Looks like a sun will be out tomorrow and friday, so hopefully you can conquer it before the week is out!!
latest report
Thought I'd post some snow depths, as always a useful reference for anyone looking back.

Val Cenis
Base: 50cm
Summit: 110cm

Valmorel
Base: 30cm
Summit: 150cm

Valloire
Base: 30cm
Summit: 165cm

Valmeinier
Base: 75cm
Summit: 165cm
ski holidays
@Handy Turnip, I’m considering staying somewhere in the valley from January 26. I’m curious why the snow depths (base) at Valloire and Valmeinier would be so different. They are nearby and approximately same elevation?
snow report
sbooker wrote:
@Handy Turnip, I’m considering staying somewhere in the valley from January 26. I’m curious why the snow depths (base) at Valloire and Valmeinier would be so different. They are nearby and approximately same elevation?

There might be a number of factors in play - but the main resort of Valmeinier is at 1800m, and Valloire is at 1400m, so I'm guessing that's the main reason. There's plenty of snow out there this year, and as much as the FL seems to be jumping around at the moment, 1400m should be high enough for late Jan.
ski holidays
Thanks. If coming from the valley which side would be easiest to drive to? As in shortest time to drive?
snow report
sbooker wrote:
Thanks. If coming from the valley which side would be easiest to drive to? As in shortest time to drive?

They are much of a muchness, from the valley to Valloire is approx 18 kms and to Valmeinier 1800 is about 17kms..though the nearest lift in Valmeinier (girodiere) to St Michel de Maurienne (where you start the climb up) is only about 15 minutes - there is a small car park within a couple of minutes walk to the lift, from here you can take the Armera across to the Valmeinier side or the Grandes Drozes and Moneul chairs to head over towards Valloire.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy