Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Alpe d’Huez Grand Domaine Ski 23/24

Poster: A snowHead
So what will this winter bring to Alpe d’uez, Oz, Vaujany, Villard Reculas and Auris.

Oz & Vaujany are now under the management of SATA.

A relatively quiet winter in terms of new ski lifts(maybe because of the work in L2A).

The main ski pass office has had a refurbishment.

Tomorrowland in March again next year.

Let the snow level descend!
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Looking forward to it... when it finally happens. First trip with the kids, had several cancelled trips through COVID so this is well overdue.

Scratching the itch until March by looking at the webcams (and seeing rain), never visited Oz before but appears to fit the bill nicely for our family's needs.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Thank you Alpinebear for revving up the expectation. Any news of anything new? I heard the mythical link to L2A is finally kaput
which is good news, although others may disagree
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I think the L2A link is a long term project. There is more interest in the lift up from Bourg d’Oisans.

Snow level down to about 1200m after yesterday’s weather. Can’t remember seeing the snow chains/tyres warning sign this early!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Looks like Moose Bar are opening a place in resort. Experienced it at Tomorrowland and will be great to have the party bar all winter.

snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.

snow canons are working
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
davidof wrote:
snow canons are working

Oz starting to look a bit more ski resorty thanks to the cannons

latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yes with the cold they should be able to lay down a good base
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Something great about a big snow dump.

Usual work vans stranded on road up.

Let it snow let it snow let it snow
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
The calm before the next snow (though rain/snow limit is forecast around 2000m).

Opening on Saturday looking good.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
As forecast the snow level has dropped and blizzard conditions as I left work.

Lower slopes were still intact and new snow should help.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Some lovely conditions at the moment.

Snow forecast tomorrow.

Whole domain opening on Saturday.

Then we are all doomed as it will rain on Sunday/Monday.

By a miracle if we survive the rain on Monday back to cold and snow later on.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
On the topic of SATA passes for this area..
After a frustrating afternoon, I have learned the following: If you order a ski pass online, pay for delivery and it doesn't turn up, customer service for SATA is: 00 33 476 80 30 30 (not the number on the website). They close in the middle of the day 12-2, or quite a bit longer. They can give you a Royal Mail tracking number. The website says to allow 10 days for delivery, but mine weren't even put in the post for over 2 weeks, so I wouldn't risk it again. If they still don't turn up, they will replace them in resort. Another time, I'd just collect in resort. Live and learn....
Hopefully this will save someone else the hassle and stress.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I’ll check the phone number on the website tomorrow for you. The one you called sounds like the main reception which has no one there between 12 and 2.

If you already have any ski passes(except Chamrousse)with 01- you can load them online and not have to worry about collection or delivery.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Quote:
I’ll check the phone number on the website tomorrow for you. The one you called sounds like the main reception which has no one there between 12 and 2.
If you already have any ski passes(except Chamrousse)with 01- you can load them online and not have to worry about collection or delivery.

That's very kind of you. The previous was very much the short version. I tried the number on the website - it is customer services, but they don't deal with purchases made online. They gave me 2 email addresses (no result) and the 80 30 30 number. That one just had a recorded message saying no one was available, and that they were closed 12-2, however, there was still no one there until 3.15 (local time). There is an online form to customer services, but this generated a message saying they'd reply in 15 days (!) - hence why I kept trying with the 80 30 30 number.
Sadly, I do not have any previous ski passes (we're new to this game).
ski holidays
After the last couple of days a welcome return of the white stuff. Even snow down to 700m last night.

snow report
Alpinebear wrote:
After the last couple of days a welcome return of the white stuff. Even snow down to 700m last night.

Thanks for the update. That's great to hear (and see - where is that image by the way?). It's still two weeks until I'm coming out there, but every webcam view and other update is making me more and more excited!
snow report
That’s the tapis and the Sures lift in Auris.
snow conditions
Of course. I was thrown by the different angle to the webcam view. Thanks!
snow report
I think maybe there was more snow last night than forecast. We got a light covering in Vaujany at 1200m
The top of the Sarenne was un-groomed chest deep powder albeit mixed visibility.
snow conditions
Here's to a good base that sticks around until we arrive in the Spring - fingers crossed there's a January full of snow.

Likelihood of skiing down to Oz en Oisans mid-March? For me it's not the deal breaker but I know may kids would love to be able to play in the snow outside the chalet.
snow report
Specialman wrote:

Likelihood of skiing down to Oz en Oisans mid-March?

Very close to 100%.

Last edited by Then you can post your own questions or snow reports... on Sat 16-12-23 18:41; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
We fly out on the 23rd December. Looks like the conditions should be great for Christmas week.
ski holidays
How's the piste conditions currently in Alpe d'huez? Hoping for a little freshen up of snow before we arrive on Saturday.
ski holidays
Second week of school hols and busy.

Snowing this afternoon then again later on in week(not sure of FL).

Managed I cheeky night out in Moosebar which was very good and a welcome après ski bar for Alpe Dhuez.
ski holidays
Day off ski with kids after their ski school. Snowing most of the day so far with snow/rain level just about resort height.
latest report
A little reading if you are tucked away in your chalet this afternoon, 60 years since the Pic Blanc and the Tunnel were opened

https://pistehors.com/LHwgxIwB1g7SdbHcIun4/pic-blanc-and-the-tunnel-of-legend
snow conditions
Thanks @davidof, fascinating!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Heading to Alpe D'Heuz this morning from Dublin for the week. Any reports on the ground on how the slopes are? Saw a good fall of snow during the last week so hopes are high!
Also, any recommendations for that well earned aprés?
ski holidays
Conditions should be great after the recent snowfall and light snow continues for a few more days(snowing outside at 700m as I type)!
Slopes a lot quieter although some big groups of Slovenia, Slovakia and Hungary.
Après ski I would recommend the Moosebar.

Have a great time.
ski holidays
@hullabulloo, just back from a week in ADH. We were a mixed ability group of “once a year” skiers and we found the conditions to be pretty good in general. Lots of snow higher up, though icy / artificial in places below the main resort area ie down to Oz, Vaujany etc.

Can’t comment on apres as I’m an old fogey and like to spend my evenings celebrating another day without serious injury with a few cold ones from the apartment fridge.

Enjoy!
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
A little reading if you are tucked away in your chalet this afternoon, 60 years since the Pic Blanc and the Tunnel were opened

https://pistehors.com/LHwgxIwB1g7SdbHcIun4/pic-blanc-and-the-tunnel-of-legend

Great write-up, as always. Many thanks!
ski holidays
The Flying Snowplough wrote:
@hullabulloo, just back from a week in ADH. We were a mixed ability group of “once a year” skiers and we found the conditions to be pretty good in general. Lots of snow higher up, though icy / artificial in places below the main resort area ie down to Oz, Vaujany etc.

Can’t comment on apres as I’m an old fogey and like to spend my evenings celebrating another day without serious injury with a few cold ones from the apartment fridge.

Enjoy!

Same here! snowHead Conditions will be excellent right now. Had a hotel booking in Annemasse for last night, so option to ski yesterday. But we decided to cancel and head home early as meteo was bad. What should I say? Webcam showed us clouds lowered to about 2000m and above that must have been absolutely fantastic. That was very hard to swallow.
Was only my second visit in about two decades. Stunningly, lift system seemed worse than last time. Main installations all the same - exhausting and over-crowded just like last time; should be better this week, though), but Glacier chair gone. Did Pic Blanc only once, because it took an hour to get up there (you can basically skin up there in about the same amount of time, if you only count the last section, which is ridiculous). Mountain scenery and possible descents are great, but won't come back any time soon.
ski holidays
Last week was very busy here, too busy at times. @Tristero, yes, bad luck there. Many of last week visitors also left on Friday, which was horrid weather-wise, and the usual influx of day trippers for the fab discount on Saturday didn’t turn up either. Result - the weather was nice, mainly, the snow was superb, the lift queues were non-existent and we had a superb day’s skiing. Today the visibility was poor, but the snow more than made up for it. I agree that the absence of the Glacier chair makes Pic Blanc a fleeting experience that isn’t worth an hour in a cold queue, but tbh I only go there if I happen to coincide with a quiet period. Does @AlpineBear have inside knowledge about the replacement of that facility?
ski holidays
Yes it will be getting replaced. Cant remember if it is for next winter or winter after.

They will also upgrade the chairlift up from Villard Reculas along with the main DMC lift.

Last week was very busy as a lot of people around Grenoble came here as their local resorts are a lot lower and are struggling with snow.
ski holidays
Oooh, that's interesting @Alpinebear, thanks. Particularly the DMC info, as that's looking a bit dated now. It stopped with people on it for a non-trivial time when we were there (fortunately just before we got on, so we switched to Les Jeux after about 15 minutes of waiting for it to restart!).

I'd also heard that the Poutran and Alpette bubbles out of Oz will be upgraded as part of the takeover of the Oz/Vaujany system. I read somewhere (https://www.nationalgeographic.com/travel/article/why-oz-in-the-french-alps-is-the-perfect-family-ski-destination) that will be by 2026, but no reference to back that up.
snow report
Long, long time since I went to ADH last - was there a chair up to the top? Can only remember queuing for ages to get into the crammed big cable car.
I'm thinking Pic Blanc will be a one-time visit during our week... kids in tow, only so much time to ski so probably going to stay where it's easiest to get around from Oz and ensure we're not getting cold.
Snow looks good right down to low resorts at the moment, hoping it stays that way
latest report
Last of the snow today before a few days of sunny weather.

Day off ski in flat light but loads of snow.

What will next week bring????
latest report
Oh to be skiing today. What a lovely day.

A couple of links for the piste map and cross country/pedestrian maps.

https://www.alpedhuez.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/12/alpedhuez-plan-pistes-hiver-2023-2024-V2.pdf

https://assets.alpedhuez.com/wordpress/2024/01/Plan-fond-et-balades-H23-24-1.pdf
ski holidays
It is in fact perfect. Perfect snow, lovely weather no queues. An absolute privilege
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy