Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

First ski trip?

Poster: A snowHead
Hello Everyone, new to Snowheads, and this is my first post.

I'm a mature beginner skier - 67 male single with no commitments and am now retired, so I need a hobby.

I've been taking lessons at Chill Factore outside of Manchester once a week and as I've now go through the lesson rota I am doing 2 hrs practice once a week. And I can now snow plough turn down the main slope without falling over.

I have my own boots, and will shortly begetting my first skis either Rossignol 76 or 78c.

I'm planning to go on my first ski holiday next season after a year of practice at CF.

I'm thinking of going to Alpe D'Huez as it has lots of green and gentle blue runs, and is apparently aimed at improving beginners like me, and was wondering if any of you have been there and if it is any good, if it isn't that good for improving beginners, I was thinking of going to Arinsal?

Any help would be appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Me&MySkis, welcome to SH's.

And amazing to hear of a 67yo beginner skier.

ADH certainly has some excellent beginner terrain. We went there quite a lot when the children were young.

Will you be going solo? Will you be taking lessons?

There are smaller ski areas that would be a bit cheaper lift pass wise. As a beginner you don't need a massive ski area.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AdH will be fine but as above you don't need a massive area and having a good group ski school (I'd suggest groups because you probably benefit from finding others at your level to ski with) is probably the most important thing. Also bear in mind that real mountain runs are a hell of a lot longer than CF so a degree of stamina is very important.

Sounds like you have the right attitude and commitment though which is a lot of the equation.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd agree that being part of a (small) ski group for lessons is very important.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Me&MySkis, I would suggest that you look at a smaller resort, possibly in Austria, as you won't be requiring miles of terrain on your first week. Generally there is a more sociable atmosphere in Austria than France. IMHO. Enrol at the ski school and enjoy!
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@Me&MySkis, welcome to snowHeads and to the world of skiing snowHead

Having skied both, albeit quite a few years ago now, I’d probably go for Arinsal over Alpe d’Heuz. For one main reason. The beginner, green area in ADH is extremely good and very accessible but, it also a thoroughfare at the end of the day for many skiers heading back to resort….some of whom are a liability to the less experienced. I also think that the leap from beginner/improvers to the wider ADH area represents quite a step up in terms skiing. Heading over to Auris would be my recommendation once moving on from the main resort beginner area - it’s quieter and the pistes are fab.

Arinsal is a smaller area, great for beginner/improvers with the link to Pal for exploring further afield. The town has a nice vibe (or it did 13 years ago Laughing ), and I preferred the food/bars etc. Certainly then, there were a lot of very good English speaking instructors (if that’s a factor).

I doubt you’d go far wrong in either places, really.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Of course, once you’ve really gotten the bug after your first ski trip, don’t forget to book your second on the sH’s EoSB - (End of Season Bash)….great way to hook up with other sliders, have some fun and perfect for solo skiers snowHead
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Me&MySkis, welcome to SnowHeads to a "mature 67 year old" (as you put it) from myself, an immature 67 year old. You will get lots of suggestions and you won't be disappointed. If you intend going on your first trip after a year or so of practice at CF then you will probably find that you are a better skier than you think. have faith and believe.
Rather than choose a resort aimed at what you believe your skiing level to be, might I suggest that you make a list of what you hope to get out of your trip, and a list of priorities.
For myself, whilst the skiing is of course very important, I would choose a pretty village with attractive scenery and good food as well. Are you going alone? Nowt wrong with that if you are, but it can be sociable if you choose.
As @Jäger says, consider a "bash" which can be as sociable (or quiet but friendly) as you wish.
What time of year are you considering? January can be better snow but colder and the days are shorter. March can be warmer and sunny and more relaxed but can have softer snow.
You will get lots of personal views and prejudices, so here are a couple of my own very personal prejudices.
Firstly, no need to pay a fortune for a lift pass that covers a huge area if you are likely to only use a small part of it. Of course, if the rest of the resort / area is what suits you then do go for it.
I find in general that in France the skiing is probably better overall since the French seem to have looked at where the snow stays longest and built a resort there. Those resorts can be soulless. Having said that there are a lot of smaller French pretty traditional resorts.
I find that in Austria the skiing seems on the whole to have developed more organically in that a village might have had a couple of pistes and expanded and then linked up with a neighbouring village and so on. In general prettier to my eyes, but sometimes not as well laid out as the French resorts planned from the start. That shouldn't be an issue for you in your first major trip though.
Don't forget Italy or Switzerland.
For me, a combination of skiing, sunshine, Italian food, Bavarian beer and German efficiency means the Northern part of the Dolomites in late February or very early March is the best combination.
But you will find what suits you.
Wherever you go, enjoy it.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hello...again, and thank you for the replies.

In answer to your questions from Layne - she had the honour of being the first respondent - and the others here are my plans.

In answer to Layne it isn't so 'amazing' at 67 as at CF I've noticed some people at round my age taking lessons, especially yesterday there was a couple and they looked to be in there 60's.

As I said I have no commitments, and have no-one to leave my savings to after my time is up, so I'm going to spend some of it on me via ski lessons, ski gear now the sales are on as the 2024 season is over - not decided on a Kjus jacket and pants or the same for Schoffel yet ; Toni Sailer has some silly prices like £1,500 for a jacket Shocked - and skiing holidays, probably 2 a season, or maybe 3, finances dependent of course.

Yes, I am going alone/solo. No-one else that I know ski's except my great niece and nephew - Emilia is 10, and Benjamin is 12.

No, I wasn't planning on taking lessons, after a years practice I should have the basics learnt at CF by the time I go somewhere, as in if I'm...comfortable on the main CF slope, a 15 degrees 180 meter run with a 10 degrees bit at the bottom, and can comfortably parallel it, I will just want a weeks practice at a resort on my own skiing at my own pace, as I don't want to go over old ground again at a resort, and it would be snake skiing, and I doubt I'd learn anything new. And I can then start to refine my technique with more practice at CF like carving ect, as CF do level 7 lessons, and by then of course at a resort I can always hire an instructor for a hour one to one tuition once I'm a blue and maybe red ski skill skier.

Till then I have the SKNG Ski school beginner and intermediate apps on my iPhone, and have been using the videos in tandem with lessons at CF, and refence them on a regular basis. Plus I subscribe to the You Tube channel "Chasing Snow" as he is a British guy who goes all over Europe, and videos runs via go pro, so any one who's not skied it will know what the run looks like and there will be no nasty surprises if they do ski it themselves. i.e. fore wared is fore armed.

As for stamina, I live on my own so have to do all the work in the flat I live in, plus I used to be a full time carer for Mum [and Dad] till they...went ahead Sad - Mum on 14 Nov 2011 - 93yo, and then re-registered to care for Dad till he joined Mum on 12 July 2017 - 97yo, and then I managed to get a job at Amazons new FC here in Warrington for the last 5 and a bit years till I retired, plus I do a lot of walking as if something around here is within walking distance, I walk instead of taking the car, so stamina on long ski runs won't really be an issue.

In regards holidays, as I said I was only thinking about Alpe D'Huez. At the CF centre there is a Crystal Ski outlet, and they have a 19 resort list that is "Brilliant for Beginners". On the 30th April after my practice 2 hrs - 10 - 12 noon - on my way out I call in and enquired as to which resort would have the most green and be most favourable for me.

The guy put a * on Flaine, Alpe D'Huez, Niederau, Passo Tonale, and the fore mentioned Arinsal. I've also had a look at the pieste map of Ellmau, and Les Menuires. Haven't decided where I'll be going as yet, be booking some where on the 20th after my custom insole appointment for my boots - Salomon S/Pro Alpha 100 - at Snow + Rock next door to CF.

As for when, the first will be early January, probably the 11th before the French school holidays, and the second about the same time in Feb maybe after the French school holidays.

I started my ski journey on leap year day, and hopefully by yhr next one i will be able to ski as comfortably as I can now drive, even in a city centre. As for the social aspect of skiing, never been much of a social person, so on holiday all I'd want to do is ski, sleep and eat, and have the temporary acquaintance of fellow skiers in the resort. But we'll see.

If you have any other questions, just put them here.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Me&MySkis, Several things but one notably is your plan on not taking lessons.
I think this is a mistake for a couple of reasons .
One: is that skiing on your own can be more tiring and companionship is welcome

Two: an instructor can find the best slopes for you. In most resorts the number of runs and how to find them can be quite bewildering.

Three: If you have skied in a fridge you just won't be used to the variety of snow and how that changes what you do and strategies for avoiding awkward bits. The environment of a snowdome and a resort are very different.

Four: Its easy to get into bad habits particularly as a beginner that you may not notice but an instructor will.

There's probably more but that will do for now.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@Me&MySkis, your level is ideal for the snowheads preBB in Alleghe.

Gondola up and down the hill. The I ital part is good for getting your ski legs . Up on the second gondola and there are gentle slopes and some less gentle to help you improve.

You will be able to get the odd tip from people without them being pushy. You can meet other snowheads for lunch and dinner in the hotel so you are not on your Todd.

It is excellent value and the slope conditions are superb so you can progress without having to go down a slope that is beyond you at this moment in time.

The buttons are not up yet but the dates are known.
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Me&MySkis, Welcome. I would agree with others here and having worked at an indoor slope for 16 years I would strongly advise taking at least a week’s lessons in the mountains. I have some distant friends in a similar situation to you but 10 years younger. They took lots of lessons in their local fridge. Despite my advice and that of Mrs SL they insisted they would not need lessons on the mountain. Result, wished they had and ended up taking some less than ideal private lessons at the end of their week. Skiing on a mountain is so different to a fridge. As others have said the snow conditions can be very variable an the visibility can be limited, wind, snow/rain can be issues as well as interpreting the piste map and signage. Most folk think they do not need as much tuition as they really do.

But whatever you decide - enjoy.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Ski lots wrote:
@Me&MySkis, As others have said the snow conditions can be very variable an the visibility can be limited, wind, snow/rain can be issues as well as interpreting the piste map and signage. M
But whatever you decide - enjoy.

Yep One thing I should have mentioned is the variations in light.
If you have just skied in a fridge the experience of flat light and sometimes low visibility on snow can be very unnerving even for relatively experienced skiers particularly if you are above the tree line which is true for Alpe D'Huez.
Sometimes you can quite quickly not know which way is up or down or even spot the next marker and know where the piste is and be totally unable to identify the edge of the piste skiing off the side.
You may not experience such conditions in a week of skiing but you could have bad vis for most of the week . In Jan it would certainly not be uncommon to have flat light as the afternoon progresses.

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Wed 8-05-24 10:53; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Skiing on a proper mountain after a fridge is a bit like sailing on open tidal water when you've learned on a reservoir. You can be technically quite clever with your roll tacks and adjusting your rigging tension but be thrown by hectic tidal streams and choppy seas.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
GlasgowCyclops wrote:
@Me&MySkis, your level is ideal for the snowheads preBB in Alleghe.

Gondola up and down the hill. The I ital part is good for getting your ski legs . Up on the second gondola and there are gentle slopes and some less gentle to help you improve.

You will be able to get the odd tip from people without them being pushy. You can meet other snowheads for lunch and dinner in the hotel so you are not on your Todd.

It is excellent value and the slope conditions are superb so you can progress without having to go down a slope that is beyond you at this moment in time.

The buttons are not up yet but the dates are known.

^ I agree strongly with the recommendation for the preBBWUW in Alleghe. Just to clarify that when @GlasgowCyclops said "You can meet other snowHeads for lunch and dinner in the hotel" he meant that you can meet other snowHeads for lunch in one of the many eating places on the mountain, it's only the evening dinner (plus breakfast of course) that's taken in the hotel. The hotel also runs a continuous shuttle service from the hotel up to the gondola base station in the morning, and a return service in the afternoon. It would be ideal for you. snowHead
snow report
@Me&MySkis, Regarding lessons in resort -- remember, they also do lessons for the more advanced skiers : I took lessons for many many years, mainly because my companions were beginners/low intermediates ; advanced lessons in Kitzbuhel took me all over the mountain, including going down the first section of the Hahnenkamm race piste. In Sauze D'Oulx we some race/slalom training :: it is also very 'social'....
ski holidays
To be honest, at your stage I wouldn't go on any holiday (including the excellent Alleghe bash) without doing some research on lessons. Most of us who have skied for many years (which doesn't mean we're very good.....) still take lessons, as do Olympic champions. Being somebody who enjoys learning (not just skiing) if I were in your position I'd probably try to find a holiday with some intensive tuition built in. Like the holidays offered by Inside Out skiing (though the level might be a bit high - they will advise) or lots of other "coaching" companies. Small groups of similar-level skiers with a good instructor (and they are not all equal) would be the optimum for me. More effective than big groups, more sociable and a bit less intensive than privates.

But then I'm a bit of a nerd. And at 77 I've just about decided to give up skiing, having health problems which make it unwise. Still learning though - Italian, French and philosophy!

Have a wonderful time, whatever you decide. You have the whole of the rest of your life ahead of you. Madeye-Smiley
latest report
Me&MySkis wrote:
In answer to your questions from Layne - she had the honour of being the first respondent

I'm a bloke Very Happy but don't worry you are not the first to make the mistake.

Me&MySkis wrote:
In answer to Layne it isn't so 'amazing' at 67 as at CF I've noticed some people at round my age taking lessons, especially yesterday there was a couple and they looked to be in there 60's.

It's still amazing Laughing

Me&MySkis wrote:
As I said I have no commitments, and have no-one to leave my savings to after my time is up, so I'm going to spend some of it on me via ski lessons, ski gear now the sales are on as the 2024 season is over - not decided on a Kjus jacket and pants or the same for Schoffel yet ; Toni Sailer has some silly prices like £1,500 for a jacket Shocked - and skiing holidays, probably 2 a season, or maybe 3, finances dependent of course.

Cool, it's a great way to spend your hard-earned.

Me&MySkis wrote:
Yes, I am going alone/solo. No-one else that I know ski's except my great niece and nephew - Emilia is 10, and Benjamin is 12.

Nothing wrong with going solo particularly. Whenever I've done it (a couple of hours here and there) I've loved the freedom of not having to confer or dither. On the flip side there is a safety aspect and also even for those of us happy with their own company it's nice to have someone else's sometimes.

Me&MySkis wrote:
No, I wasn't planning on taking lessons

I can see why group lessons might not be for you. But it would also be good to ski with someone more experienced. Also consider a private lesson after the first couple of days - to give yourself a booster once you've found your mountain feet.

Me&MySkis wrote:
Haven't decided where I'll be going as yet, be booking some where on the 20th after my custom insole appointment for my boots - Salomon S/Pro Alpha 100 - at Snow + Rock next door to CF.

Ooooh, boot fitting is important and places like S&R are a bit hit and miss. I believe Rivington Sports and Glide and Slide in Otley are recommended up North. Might get lucky at S&R though.
snow report
Seems to be something of a consensus, but I'll add my two-penn'orth anyway.

60+yo learners are not that unusual - certain an outlier but my wife and I have taught a few people of that age, from scratch.

The artificial slopes will have given you a great platform to work from, but as others have said, however much indoor skiing you've had will not be enough to fully prepare you for the mountain. OTOH I would not suggest you just enroll in ski school group lessons - even if you were not put in with a bunch of kids in all likelihood a full week would be a lot more than you would benefit from. I'd suggest a couple of hours on the first morning, then another session later in the week.

Private lessons, IMO, work much better for older learners, and you'll also have a better chance of getting a more experienced instructor closer to your own age, who would be much more likely to be able to adapt to your learning style than some youngsters who are used to giving lessons to groups of kids.

And generally you can get equal or better value for money out of private lessons, two hours of one-to-one tuition, twice a week, would cost you less than a whole week of group lessons and you'll almost certainly get a lot more benefit from it.

Come out to Morgins and I can even find you an instructor close to your own age - me - or one just a few years younger - my wife. Very Happy
ski holidays
I totally get the desire to just consolidate things at one's own pace.

However if you've never been on a real mountain before people are well intended when they say some lessons would be best. It's not a cost thing it's an invest in good habits for many years of skiing thing. And anyone that would have groups skiing in snakes is the type of ski school you want to avoid.
snow report
I learned to ski on plastic and dumped lessons quickly. Switching to snow was very easy; I could already ski. Indoors is a bit different, but I learned to snowboard in Finland on small artificial snow slopes, which aren't dissimilar to indoors. I can think of nowhere better to learn, if learning's your aim. Like learning to surf in a wave-pool, you can learn really fast in a controlled environment, and there's nothing to distract from learning. But most people are less focused and get bored.

Each to their own, but I reckon that by these sorts of ages you ought to know what works for you.

Me&MySkis wrote:
I started my ski journey on leap year day, and hopefully by yhr next one i will be able to ski as comfortably as I can now drive, even in a city centre.
... But we'll see.
Getting "comfortable" should be easy enough; getting good... takes more than a a single season especially if you're limited to holidays.
ski holidays
Quote:

i will be able to ski as comfortably as I can now drive, even in a city centre.

After many years I can only do that on very easy slopes, in very easy weather conditions. I don't think you can really compare the skills and experience of driving and skiing. I've known people chuck ski (or snowboard) lessons very early on but the ones that went on to get good were natural athletes, brave and well-coordinated. And young.
snow report
phil_w wrote:
I learned to ski on plastic and dumped lessons quickly. Switching to snow was very easy; I could already ski. Indoors is a bit different, but I learned to snowboard in Finland on small artificial snow slopes, which aren't dissimilar to indoors. I can think of nowhere better to learn, if learning's your aim. Like learning to surf in a wave-pool, you can learn really fast in a controlled environment, and there's nothing to distract from learning. But most people are less focused and get bored.

Each to their own, but I reckon that by these sorts of ages you ought to know what works for you.

I learnt similarly particularly snowboarding where I graduated from dryslope straight to offpiste in the Canadian Rockies (real snow was sooo much easier than plastic). But I just feel the change in environment for a never ever is so much of a step up adding navigation, counterintuitive resort and lift layouts, ski traffic and weather that you have equal chance of having an offputting experience as a "I did it my way" adventure.

But equally I accept that some people have to find things out for themselves. The problem is that people have seen the OP asking not quite the right question and are keen to help with the benefit of their own considerable experiences.
snow conditions
67 is no age, I taught a gentleman of 81, who subsequently went on his first ski (and only) holiday. he gave up as all his peers kept telling him he was too old. Even though he only went up and down a gentle beginner slope he had a great time.

So go and enjoy yourself, it sounds like you deserve it after having to care for your parents (a very hard task). Take some lessons (it doesn't have to be all day or all week), it can be a big step from a "sterile" environment of a fridge to the snow. There is also then the opportunity to meet and ski with others.

Austria/Switzerland/Italy skiing is based around an established towns and lift access to the (main) ski areas. France is more ski accommodation built in the mountains so ski in/out
ski holidays
Me&MySkis wrote:
Hello Everyone, new to Snowheads, and this is my first post.

I'm a mature beginner skier - 67 male single with no commitments and am now retired, so I need a hobby.

I've been taking lessons at Chill Factore outside of Manchester once a week and as I've now go through the lesson rota I am doing 2 hrs practice once a week. And I can now snow plough turn down the main slope without falling over.

I have my own boots, and will shortly begetting my first skis either Rossignol 76 or 78c.

I'm planning to go on my first ski holiday next season after a year of practice at CF.

I'm thinking of going to Alpe D'Huez as it has lots of green and gentle blue runs, and is apparently aimed at improving beginners like me, and was wondering if any of you have been there and if it is any good, if it isn't that good for improving beginners, I was thinking of going to Arinsal?

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi @Me&MySkis and well done for getting of your backside and taking up a new pastime. Have been trying to convince my rather lonely 60 year old mate to do the same but unfortunately all my efforts just fall upon deaf ears.

Anyway back to you...

Definitely consider Passo Tonale as in my view it would be perfect for your first trip whether solo or not. If you do decide to go there then try and book a hotel as close to the main lift area as possible but you can always hire a locker that exits straight onto the snow if that's not possible.

There are some nice pistes that are not too long or two steep right in front of you (in the main area) where you'll be able to happily practice alone if that's your preference. At some point you'll need to learn how to use a chair lift but there are a couple of drags and and covered magic carpets to get you going.

Finally if you do decide to get some one-on-one lessons then I have number for great local instructor who has helped my son recently. At 75euro an hour the two hour lessons he had on two consecutive days was really worth the money in my opinion.

If you would like any more info on flight and transfers etc then please let me know as we arranged everything independently, however but you might prefer to let Crystal Ski Holidays take the strain with it being your first time skiing and the Crystal reps in resort are actually great at helping you get up and running and of course they are there to help if you need it.
snow report
Quote:

As for when, the first will be early January, probably the 11th before the French school holidays, and the second about the same time in Feb maybe after the French school holidays.

I assume you mean March, not Febuary. The school holidays do not finish until March 9th.
snow conditions
Nothing to add other than to say, what a wholesome post. Hope your first trip is amazing.
latest report
Thanks for all the replies, and the advice for getting lessons.

However, at my age I am somewhat wary of taking resort group lessons, as I don't want to be put in a group full of kids, or if adults at 67 I could be the oldest one in the group, or the group has skiers who have more ski resort holiday mileage experience then me, and if so I know I'd struggle to keep up with the group, and I'd then be simply Billy bottom of the class, and *an even more worrying concern for me is if the instructor takes the group up the hill to to a steeper run then I'm ready for*.

For example, the main 180 meter slope at CF is 15 degrees with a 10 degrees bit at the bottom, if my group is taken on to a run with say a 20 degree slope, then *immediately* it'd be steeper then any thing I've ever skied on, plus if it is just a follow me ski snake, as it is steeper then the CF slope I might lose control and in doing so I could injure myself if as a result I fell over and got injured.

Maybe I'd just twist my knee if I fell which I may/might, but if so that would knock my holiday on the head. As a knee swelling dislikes pressure i.e. you can't put much pressure on it to walk, let alone ski. I've injured a knee like that in the past, and the swelling takes a couple of weeks to go down till the knee gets back to normal, and I'd only be at the resort for a week, so any such injury and my holiday goes right out of the window, and I don't want to spend n days in my room nursing my knee, or a worse injury.

Hence, my sort of plan to give lessons a miss this first holiday, and just concentrate on easy green runs to get some resort experience and mountain mileage.

But as "Chaletbeauroc" suggested the suggestion of taking a one to one two hour lesson twice a week sounds more appealing then being in a group of maybe a dozen, as at CF the biggest group I was in was week 2 and it was 8, and for week 4 and 5 my group consisted of just me and 2 others, same for week 4 and for week 5 it was just me and another guy, same for week 6.

Plus at "Chaletbeauroc" thank you for the offer suggestion, but I don't think that Crystal or Nielson goes to Morgins.

But I'll see what my lesson options are when I book somewhere via Crystal Ski on the 20th.

As I have passed level 5 at CF, I can resit level 6 any time and just have to work on doing parallel, that is why I'm doing 2 hours a week practice, and have worked on committing to the bottom ski before dealing with doing work on a basic parallel. I'm planning to re-sit 6 in July after I feel as used to the main slope working on committing to the bottom ski via snow plough turns, as I feel at the bottom 10 degrees portion.

That is why I'm also getting my own skis. The only skis I been skiing on ftm are the CF rental Head 'Ambition' in orange skis, starting at 146cm, and now I'm using 150cm, but as all of you will know if you have your own skis you get used to them, and how they work skiing in them week in week out, and you don't have to use different ski every week, which is why I invested in my own boots, as the Head rentals thou comfortable the last was to big for my small narrow feet, plus n feet had been through different boots before they met mine for the 2 hours.

So, my plan is once I get my new skis either the Experience 76, or 78c, as they will be much more slippery with fresh wax, and sharp edges is to go back a step and get used to them at the bottom 10 degrees of the main slope, where I am in a sort of comfort zone, and then when I feel "comfortable" of slippery new skis, again got to the top of the main slope, and get used to the extra steepness, and after I'm used to it re-sit level 6, after I'm able to do a basic parallel, which I can sort of do at the bottom.

It is the sudden speed you pick up you get which sometimes frightens me at times, and it happens faster from the top of the main slope then it does at the bottom. Hence the reason I said when I am comfortable on the main slope I'll be getting sort of ready mentally to try skiing in a resort with green and easy blue runs.

In answer to "phil_w" and "Origen" in regards to being comfortable comparing driving to skiing, when I first passed my driving test I just didn't like driving on the motorway, or in heavy traffic, but now I just do it, the same with skiing, when I first start this journey on Feb 29, I didn't like the sensation of sliding on ski's, and it felt like I was out of control. Just as well I was on the nursery slope. But now I'm getting used to it, and now feel more comfortable on bottom part of the main slope, and starting last Tuesday am now working on my snow plough turns and bottom ski commitment from the top of the main slope.

One small step at a time.

In reply to "Jammy 07", there is a 4/5 * hotel at Passo Tonale right on the slope and in the resort centre, which Crystal uses, so IF I go there it'll be at that one.

In reply to "Layne" the dude wink Snow + Rock is next door to CF, so is handy for boots custom insole fitting as well as purchasing my skis and waxing, and edge sharping ect.

Regarding Alpine Sport, I know someone who bought some ski boots from Rivington Sports, and they were the wrong ones for his skill and they almost crippled him, so that boot fitter is off limits for me, and I went to Guild & Slide on the 16th April to find out about Stockli ski's as G&S are an official stockist for Stockli, as well as Kastle, which I also had an eye on i.e. their DX 72 as I'd got in touch with the Stockli rep and he recommended for me at my beginner level the CX at 149cm. They are with bindings i.e. MC 12 and poles £1,400, pricy, but then quality never comes cheap.

I could afford them, as at my age I'm not really that concerned that much about the price, as my oldest brother Colin - 11 years older them me - say, a Hearst doesn't tow a safe, but the senior ski guy a S+R - Lee - friendly told me for a first set of ski's I don't need to pay that much, which is why my first skis will be the Rossignol 76 or 78c, and then in 6 years when my boot liners are getting compressed and I'll be need to replace them, I'll be in the market for a new set of ski's as well, so finger crossed I should be "comfortable" on blue or some red runs by then, and I can maybe invest in some Stockli skis either Laser or even Montaros if I'm ok at off pieste skiing by then. We'll see.

In reply to "johnE", well when ever the French school holidays are, I don't want to be in a resort then, especially a French one, as I've seen on YT how crowded they are with masses of French children and their parents at the big gondola and chair que's.

Once again thanks for the advice all regarding lessons. So, before this thread has run its course, anything else you wish to ask or add, if so just add it here. Peace.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
"was in was week 2 and it was 8, and for week 4 and 5 my group consisted of just me and 2 others, same for week 4 and for week 5 it was just me and another guy, same for week 6."

Opps, week 4 consisted of just me and *4* others, and for week 5 was me and 2 others, and for week 6, just me and another guy. Madeye-Smiley
snow conditions
Ask about ski school options or for recommended instructors once you have chosen your resort. Stocklis or Kastles are indeed overkill for you at your level.

I stopped by Passo Tonale at Easter. Looks appropriately mellow (& there is a long flat run down to the midway gondola if visibility is compromised higher up). But it's the sort of place that seems likely to have lots of capable English speaking instructors based on the ones I saw with school groups.
ski holidays
Thanks for the heads up,and Passo Tonale looks promising, I'll see about it on the 20th.
latest report
@Me&MySkis, if you stick with your plan for Alp d’Huez check out Masterclass for lessons. 2 of the instructors can’t be much younger than you (and they generally don’t take kids) so you’re unlikely to be the only old man in the group wink
snow report
@Me&MySkis, I can tell you are a details guy wink snowHead

One thing I would say is that you need to be get comfortable with speed and with falling. Both are an inevitable part of skiing and trying to minimise either will stunt progression/enjoyment IMVHO.
snow report
Dare I say it - have you considered the bash in Alleghe? Skiing isn't just about getting down a slope it's all the camaraderie that goes with it. On a bash everyone will help you with stupid things like adjusting your boots etc, best pistes for you and will break you in. Lots of folk to meet up with for lunch & dinner. It's like a HUGE chalet party. And if you must take lessons I'm sure the ski school is excellent
snow report
@Me&MySkis,

Just a little bit of information -- There is a list of European School Holidays times in this thread

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=167136
latest report
@Me&MySkis, if you don't take lessons how will you find out which green slopes are within your ability and which are tricky? As you have identified, some are very easy and some are almost blue. And they vary along their length. At CF you can see the whole slope, but you often can't do that in resort because they are much longer. You will have to pick a lift, start on a green run, and just hope it doesn't get too steep for you part way down.
D
If you take lessons you will be split into groups based on ability. (Often there is a little practice test on the first morning). And then your instructor will take you to green runs that are suitable for your ability level. If there is a steeper bit they will know how to avoid it, or to choose a line that eases the gradient. If you have lessons in the morning you can then revisit those same runs for practice in the afternoon.
latest report
If you are uncomfortable picking up speed - like nearly every beginner except for teen boys - you need to work on stopping. Once you know how to stop quickly, which usually means a parallel/hockey stop, speed is less worrying. I taught my daughters by walking 10m up from the bottom of the slope, ski down and stop before the bottom; then 15m; then 20m. They then gained confidence to go further.

You will soon find out that snow plough stopping does not work above a certain (relatively low) speed and so gives a false sense of security. That’s why anyone above beginner level uses parallel stops. But what took me ages to work out is that snow plough allows you to turn, and if you turn back uphill then you slow and stop. Mountain pistes are usually wide enough to do that, not sure about CF.

Your taste/ability with different skis will change with your skiing level. You seem to be talking about passing your driving test and buying a powerful Mercedes. It’s your money but you might want to go into that a bit slower, and work out whether you would prefer the skiing equivalent of a little shopper, big cruiser, sports car or 4x4, before committing. Skis are that varied.

I hope I’m as proactive at 67 as you are!
ski holidays
@Orange200, seconded
snow conditions
In reply to "skitech" about the 81 year old gentleman and his peers, what a despicable bunch of think they know betters that had the temerity to think they know better then he did. Grrrr. Mad That would seriously rankle with me. Mum was independently minded, and I've inherited that mindset from Mum. Irrespective of my age I'll be skiing as long as I'm enjoying it, and if my time becomes up on the side of a mountain, then I'll have gone ahead in a nice setting doing something I enjoy. I'd be found, and retrieved, but it wouldn't matter to me as I'll be gone.

In reply to "Jammy 07" about you ski reluctant mate, use my example to get them to try skiing, say an introduction beginner lesson at you local snow dome. I got somewhat interested by watching You Tube videos of ski runs, and had a talk to a former workmate who had the problem with his ski boots from Alpine Sport mentioned earlier - i.e. blisters around the bottom of both legs, through the boots he was sold being a performance fit i.e. racing boots, and not a comfort fit i.e. recreational boots. Which is why that boot fitter seems inept, and I'll never go there for a fitting, for when I change my boots in 6 years.

In reply to "Arno" I'll indeed discuss that with the Crystal Ski rep on the 20th, if Alpe D'Huez isn't fully booked up when I want to go.

In reply to "Layne" Yeah, I like to be meticulous in things that need planning like learning to ski. As for speed like driving when I passed my test I didn't like driving fast on the motorway, or A roads, but now it doesn't faze me, and in time skiing will be that way, but for now I'm...cautious, as when you are starting skiing, you quickly find out you can get out of control very quickly, and as you would know leaning back in fear makes things worse. I've seen it happen on the nursery beginner slope next to the main slope at CF, so I always made a point to lean down the slope when I'm sliding as the instructor instructed us to. As for falling, at my age I don't want to break or dislocate something, dislocated my left shoulder once a long time ago, and I do NOT want to go through that again.

In reply to "fvlover" Yes, I have considered the bash at Alleghe, BUT NOT for my first skiing holiday, as I want some experience first of what a ski resort in Europe is like first, as I've never been to Europe, let alone a ski resort before. Besides, a long while ago, and I'm taking decades I went to an 'open evening' for the Warrington Ski Club, as I saw the invite notice in the Warrington Guardian, and it sounded interesting, as it was at the time something I'd never thought of as the image of skiing is a rich persons thing owing to the cost.

It was alright...ish, BUT, it was a very cliquey crowd, with all of them being like most of you lot well seasoned skiers, and all had good professional 'careers', and salary's and had gone skiing here and there at resorts I'd never heard of, and I'd recently been laid off with a load of other people so I was on the dole till I got another job note I said job, not career. Anyway, they were pleasant enough, but I felt so out of place among them, and like I just didn't belong, and didn't fit in with them, as they could all ski, and had all the gear, and I'd never seen a pair of skis in real life, so I didn't go back, as 1, I just couldn't afford it, and 2, many years late when I was looking after Mum and Dad for 8 years I couldn't do it anyway. And when Dad joined Mum, I had to get a job to tied me over till I retired, I now have the time and income to try skiing, and lucky for me Chill Factore had been built, and I started 'skiing' on Fed 29.

Anyway, I have a feeling this 'bash' with you lot would be something like what I experienced back then, and it is not something I'd want to repeat, which is why I will probably go, but not...just...yet, as I want to be able to 'comfortably; ski down at least blue runs first, in order to 'ski' with a group, besides I don't know *when* the SH crowd would be going or the arrangements ect. And it might clash with a solo holiday I'd be going on, so for now I'll take a 'rain check' on the Alleghe holiday.

In reply to "albob" I had a look at the list and 4 Jan to Feb 25 seems to be the French children free sweet spot before every third French skiing child and all their relatives decent en-mass on the French ski resorts.

In reply to "ecureuil" *IF* I didn't take any lessons, which is not a given from the advice I've received here, I'd do it in the good old fashioned way of trial and error, plus I'd use to sort of public service "Chasing Snow" and other seasoned skiers provide by recording the run(s) via gopros, so I would know what a particular run looks like from a skier perspective.

As for splitting us into groups, I refer to a earlier concern, in I don't want to be put in with a bunch of kids, or early adults, or even adults more to my age group who have ski holiday experience and resort mileage, as even traversing across the hill, I might be lagging behind unable to keep up with them, as in bottom of the class Billy.

But, I'll have to see what happens when I go to boot somewhere after I've got my boot custom insoles, and ordered my skis.

In reply to "Orange200", knowing how to do a hockey stop in on my to learn list, it wasn't taught at CF during the levels but when I have my own ski's I'll be able to work it both at CF proving CF slope isn't to crowded, and of course on a quiet green run at a resort, and for *guidance* on how to do it correctly I have this on my iPhone via the school beginner and intermediate apps
http://youtube.com/v/0e7-mNDgIXw .

As for snow plough turns turning you back up the hill, I am well aware of that, as IF I find I'm starting to loose control on the main CF slope doing a snow plough turn in practice, I have the presence of mind to NOT lean back in fright, but to maintain pressure on the downhill ski, as that turns up the slope/hill, and thus slows you down, and you then come to a stop, and you then compose yourself, and start off again. As the SKNG Ski school tutor says, " control your speed, turn ..."

"You seem to be talking about passing your driving test and buying a powerful Mercedes." NO, I AM NOT SAYING THAT. Mad

I had made a 13 makes list of beginner skis via the web, and had also looked at the manufactures site using the filters to see what ski's would be suitable for beginners, as in the case of Stockli I used this : https://www.stoeckli.ch/inten/ski/ski-finder/

And I added the Kastle DX 75 via the web page slurb from their site i.e. https://kaestle.com/en-us/products/dx72?_pos=2&_fid=37fe81d0a&_ss=c as it says, " is light, yet stable and powerful enough for bold turns. It combines energetic performance with ****forgiving handling**** like no other ski in the Kästle stable.

This is the perfect ski for skiers who like to keep things simple and easy-going — for effortless control and effortless carving."

And the recommended Stockli from the finder, and via communique with a Stockli customer rep as honourable mentions and as rank outsiders, but the senior ski guy at S+R - Lee - had never skied on Kastle, and said the Stockli Laser CX that was recommended was to expensive for a first set of skis. And I had also had a look at the Fishcher site, but the splurb and ski finder filter on it didn't give me much information in regard which of their ski's would be suitable, so I didn't put it on the initial list before I whittled the list down to a short list, and then to a final 2 i.e. either the Rossignol Experience 76 or the Rossignol Experience 78c, both of which are designed by Rossignol for beginners, and the guys at skis.com on You Tube also say so.

I hope in a few years I'm as comfortable at skiing as you are. wink
ski holidays
Quote:

In reply to "albob" I had a look at the list and 4 Jan to Feb 25 seems to be the French children free sweet spot before every third French skiing child and all their relatives decent en-mass on the French ski resorts.

The French School holidays are from Febuary 8th to March 9th. If you go on, say, Febuary 15th you will find the resorts full. It is one of the busiest weeks of the year. I suggest you go either before the 8th or preferably after March 9th.

Alpe d'Huez would be an excellent choice BTW. The is a massive area of very gently pistes just above the village.

Though I understand your reasons for not wanting to have ski lessons I think you are mistaken.

Skiing can be very tiring, especially as a beginner. May I suggest you embark on a general fitness campaign. I'm following one of the bodycoach programmes on the internet; five session of about 25 minutes each a week to improve my CV performance. ten months of that and you will easily keep up with a ski school class.

ps if you really haven't been to continental Europe before going with a tour operator such as Crystal would be a really good idea. A few French lessons using the free Duolingo app may also prove useful, though everywhere in Alpe d'Huez everyone will speak English.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy