Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gressoney La Trinite - honest reviews

Poster: A snowHead
pam w wrote:
@t44tomo, I'm grateful for the effort you've made to ensure I'm informed, and for your enthusiasm, but also for @Hurtle's warning. We have skied together since my heart-failure diagnosis and she does know what I'm capable of. There are people who would definitely tell me I shouldn't be going skiing, and I do have to keep the amount of cardio-vascular effort to a minimum. 200 - 300 yards uphill walking with skis is definitely something I'd prefer to avoid. We'll be in Aosta for the week and will probably drive around a bit, and ski a bit, and the Monterosa area certainly sounds beautiful. I think we'll both find plenty to enjoy in Pila too - we are not easily bored; I spent 15 seasons skiing in the Espace Diamant without ever getting bored!!

I hope you enjoy the trip.

Defo drive from Aosta town to the gondola up to Pila, car park is huge and certainly was free in 2020. Whilst its compact in terms of a bit of bowl layout, there is a good variety of high open stuff and "down through the trees" runs.

If you decide on going to Monterosa, Frachey (car park right by gondola) is better access than Champoluc (where the carpark is a fair walk from the gondola) and the walk at Staffal can be completely avoided with a download on the Staffal-gabiet gondola, the lower half / 40% of that valley descent (one of our group did that, not to avoid the walk but wasn't sure of doing a black run which we hadn't scoped out in advance, better safe than sorry).
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've just come back from Champoluc, I love the place. Millionaire Skiing during the week, busier at Weekends.
There wasn't masses of snow when we went over last week but it was very cold and we had a few inches over night on Tuesday so i'd say Off Pisteing is very limited at the moment.
Theres 3 valleys it's very high , subject to winds, some great piste tree skiing. You could do all the runs in 3 days if you wanted to. The Piste skiing is excellent though some of the runs are over classified, Most of the Blacks bar one on the way down to Gressoney would be French reds.
The food is great, cheap too, People lovely and even better its not France ! The Monterosa area is lovely skiing.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Just to add the download on the gondola from Gabiet to Stafal would indeed avoid the walk at Stafal. And would be quite a good option as tbh the “black” run is not that exciting so you would not really be missing much! It’s not steep and at least half of it is a cat track. The other option is to ski to Gressoney and take the ski bus to Stafal.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
We're thinking of booking a trip for next season to Gressonay so many thanks for all the information provided above.

Does anyone have any views/opinions about the Antagnod and Brusson/Estoul areas as they look like fairly shortish pistes so are they worth the effort to visit which I presume is by bus ?

Piste only for us guys unless we visited on a snowheads bash and then we might be tempted to try something new and different conditions permitting.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We went to Gressoney 5/6 years ago now.

* Village is very small. We were towards the start of the valley so had to get the bus to the main area or wait for the lift near our hotel to open (the bus was problematic because when the lift was not running which happened a good few times, the bus was the only way for all the kids to get to lessons so we ended up waiting longer so all the kids could get on and not miss out.
* Runs were very very quiet for a March trip
* Our conditions were not great, off-piste wasn't really an option although it did snow at the end of the week but the resort took so long to open didn't get a chance to try it.
* Restraunts were all really nice and really cheap compared with France
* Personally felt the number of runs was a bit small - by the 2nd day we had done everything and ended up doing the same runs too often (some like this others don't)
* Transfer nice and short from the airport which was nice
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Adding to what isn now quite an old thread:
1. There is no longer any need to walk between lifts at Stafal. There is now a small chairlift that takes you across the valley. It's till worth considering downloading from Gabiet anyway, have a breather and the run you skip is mostly a road anyway.
2. I don't at all get why people are complaining about the walk in Alagna, as I don't really understand why you would want to ski the final section from Pianlaunga unless you were skiing home to Alagna. By far the best of that sector is above Pianalunga, the piste from there down to Alagna is not worth the bother (unless you have lunch booked there maybe!).
3. It is definitely not the right area for anyone obsessed with huge numbers of pistes so they can avoid doing the same runs, the options are fairly limited in that regard. But you can rack up very high milage if you are competent, as most of the lifts are quick and the runs from them are very long.
4. We prefer to stay in Champoluc as it is more lively and more choice of decent restaurants.
5. We often drive to Frachey as you can get parked right next to the lift, it avoids the morning rush in Champoluc, and makes for a quick entry into the main system. But the Champoluc sector itself is worth spending some time in, the run to the village is excellent and there are a couple of very good eating options there.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Main thing is the toilets
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Thanks to everyone who’s added additional information as it’s much appreciated.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
8611 wrote:

No it is not. And besides there are plenty of proper toilets scattered around the domain. I actually posted a list and directions a couple of years ago. I don't get why you would post the above, there are a few "hole in the floor" type facilities but they are easily avoided by making even a minimal effort to explore the area properly.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
8611 wrote:

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
BobinCH wrote:
8611 wrote:

Have to say its a cryptic remark to me are they a thing of beauty in the Monte Rosa?
We have some that are a tourist attraction locally.

https://www.visitbute.com/victorian-toilets/
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
T Bar wrote:
BobinCH wrote:
8611 wrote:

Have to say its a cryptic remark to me are they a thing of beauty in the Monte Rosa?
We have some that are a tourist attraction locally.

https://www.visitbute.com/victorian-toilets/

As I recall it there was another thread where @8611 moaned about the horrendous Italian toilets and @Zikomo got his knickers in a twist
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
In fairness I was a bit of a crank in the thread. Two mates went the week after me and loved it so much they've booked it again for next year.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Just about to book some cheap flights to Milan Malpensa and apparently on a Saturday there is a bus transfer to Gressoney so don't suppose anyone knows the departure time as booking system for next season is not active yet ?

Think we would arrive at 12-20 so don't want to miss the lunchtime transfer if possible.
snow report
Also we have the option of the Hotel Dufour (as used by the Gnarly bash) or The Nordend up in Staffal if anyone has any comments or insight please ?

Both would be on a HB basis with dinner taken in the restaurant next to the Nordend. However it is quite a bit cheaper than the Dufour so I'm guessing you get what you pay for ?
ski holidays
@Jammy 07, two different things to take into consideration:
Location as related to the ski map (GLT vs Staffal) and catering level.
I have only been to Dufour (at the Gnarly), breakfast was very good.
Dinners were decent but the flavour, portions size and service were less than what we enjoyed all the years in Arabba at the BB.
Regarding the different locations, please read my rather detailed response towards the end of last page.
https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=164778&start=400
snow report
@drporat, Many thanks for responding again as it's much appreciated.

The food is a big thing to us, as well as the surroundings and service that comes with it. We can save 300 euros pp by staying at the Nordend up in Staffal but they don't have a bar or their own restaurant. Don't mind paying the extra if it's going to be worth it at the Dufour but it seems as though that might not be the case.

We'd also welcome a nice bar to go for a few pre dinner drinks so the fact you've mentioned a place near the Dufour is definitely a plus.

Decisions decisions.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy