Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Recommendations for Lift Pass Options - Staying in Montchavin

Poster: A snowHead
I've had many recommendations from the forum for ski resorts similar to the US for a late season trip - in the end I've opted for practical traveling reasons (wanting a 7 day trip starting on 28th March) with direct flights, reasonably short drive (self drive hire car from Lyon) to book an apartment in Montchavin. There is also the potential attraction of some tree lined runs. My wife and I are on the borders of intermediate / advanced - so want access to a good range of runs and will probably ski 5 days out of 6. We will have a car and would be prepared if necessary to use it to go to another base (other than Montchavin). I am now faced with the task of booking lift passes and skis (we have our own boots).

I'd be really grateful for advice on places for ski - hie (on line booking preferred) and which options for lift passes from those available forum members would recommend.

Many Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
parallelgorilla, I now Montchavin well! For a good up to date to compliment your intermediate/advanced level I would have a look in EVOLUTION 2 ski hire shop adjacent the yellow bubble!

Because you are based in Montchavin each day you have the option of going the Montchavin chair and choosing left to Les Arcs or right to La Plagne OR simply stay in the Montchavin sector and hoon around the trees. There is a Discovery pass where you pay for a week and one day you can go across the Vanoise to Les Arcs.

Depending on your budget you can opt for Paradiski (includes Arcs & Plagne), so in the morning over to Les Arcs then afternoon to La Plagne (or vice versa).

Incidentally where are you staying in Montchavin?

Drop me a line if you want any more info.

Cheers
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I spent 2 consecutive years as a "blue basher" in Les Coches and only ventured over to La Plagne on the second year.
More recentely as a "Red Racer" (d'ya see what I did there?) accompanied by other "Blue Bashers" based in Plagne 1800 we made use of the Discovery pass and spent a day in Les Arcs but no more than that (due to the time taken for "Blue Bashers" to get from Plagne 1800 to the Vanoise Express.

If you are both "Red Racers" or even "Black Bandits" then I think you'd make just as much use of the Vanoise Express as you will going over the top of L'Arpette and down to the Plagne Centre/Belle/1800 area... I know I would have if I wasn't held "back" by the "Bashers".
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
I'd second the recommendation for Evolution 2 - I've found them to be excellent.

Given your level and that you like tree lined runs, I'd go for the full paradiski pass personally. There are some tree-lined runs in Montchavin but more over the other side of the Vanoise in Peisey-Vallandry. There is a lift-pass discount available at the moment on the Les Arcs website of up to 30% (first come first served).
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks for all for your help. We're staying in the Prestige les 3 glaciers - I think maybe either the discovery or the full paradiski on the basis of the advice. I'm very comfortable with European reds and US black diamonds but my wife (who is a better skier than I) will probably prefer mostly blues may be some reds proved they're not too narrow or preciptous either side (not the steepness of the slope but the absence of trees if the slope at the side of the piste is steep down) - not that she isn't comfortable in the steeps just likes to put the hammer down!
There's a video on you-tube taken by someone skiing the Le Creux at Courchevel and in part 1 you can see the first (and incredibly boring part) which is a road with a precipitous drop on the lh side which illustrates what I mean. It would be good to know if any of the runs in the paradiski are like that!

http://youtube.com/v/ttBKBBd91jk
Thanks again
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
The 'Discovery' Pass for either La Plagne or Les Arcs gives you not only a day in the other part of the Paradiski area, but also if a 'hidden' voucher for a day either in L'Espace Killy or the 3V. If you don't ask when you collect your passes they proboably won't mention it! They'll give you a paper receipt which you then trade in at either of the other areas for a day pass. So three resorts on one lift pass.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
parallelgorilla, I have stayed in Les Coches just up the road from Montchavin a couple of times and going back 30th March. I've also stayed in La Plagne and Les Arcs. It's a great ski area and I am sure you will enjoy it. I would get a full area lift pass. The differential isn't massive and given your standard I am sure you will use it. There is tree lined skiing on both sides. I don't recall any sheer drops off the side of the pistes. If there is you'd usually expect fences.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks both - that is most helpful - and re-assuring. Nice to see someone going back late in the season too! Hope we bump into each other (not literally) You'll recognise me not because of my gorilla turns (drilled out of me by a great instructor in Breck in January) but probably by a combination of orange jacket, black ski pants, red gloves and (new) Lange RX 120 boots which I am itching to try.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
parallelgorilla, and I will be knocking around the slopes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Definitely worth getting a Paradiski pass, Les Arcs is fantastic. Hoping to spend a day there when we're in Sainte Foy in a couple of weeks.

But missing a day's skiing out of six? No excuse for that unless you're injured or ill wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
annaski wrote:

Given your level and that you like tree lined runs, I'd go for the full paradiski pass personally. There are some tree-lined runs in Montchavin but more over the other side of the Vanoise in Peisey-Vallandry. There is a lift-pass discount available at the moment on the Les Arcs website of up to 30% (first come first served).

+1

I've stayed in Montchavin that week, with excellent snow (a bit soft towards the bottom at the end of the day but thats the "delights" of spring), this year I don't expect it to be any different. I would definitely say get the paradiski, you're excellently located for going either way, a chair and you're at the vanoise and into Arcs, another couple and your into the rest of la plagne.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Thanks to both - I will probably ski 6 out of 6 but Ms Gorilla may be a slacker - she did ski 8 days out of 9 in Breck - day off when I had a lesson at 12,000 ft!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
parallelgorilla wrote:
Thanks to both - I will probably ski 6 out of 6 but Ms Gorilla may be a slacker - she did ski 8 days out of 9 in Breck - day off when I had a lesson at 12,000 ft!

In the name of value for money from a season pass, my brother in law snowboarded 115 out of 121 days in Whistler a couple of years back - mentalist. When we went out to visit him we skied 27 out of 28 - kept meaning to (reluctantly) take a day off, but new ski companions kept arriving and we couldn't say no.

We're due out in Ste Foy next week and are planning at least one day trip over to the Paradiski. Looking forward to playing in the trees.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Reading this thread with interest, as we are also thinking of Montchavin from 30th March for two weeks, we were only concerned that the links into Montchavin could be closed with it being low. I know there is a lot of snow at the moment, but if it changed....do they usually try and keep them open?

Is there a lot of skiing around the Montchavin area? Taking our just turning 6 year old, and just incase he has some lessons, we'd need to hang around the area. We were in La Plagne last New Year, but only ventured over to Les Coches once due to having to get back for end of ski school, so didn't ski much around there.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Gilly28, As per this previous trip report of mine http://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=76141 they do a great job keeping all the links open and you will have no problems. There is some nice skiing in the Les Coches sector. We are also going out 30th March, for a week. This is our third time staying there so that must say something!
ski holidays
Layne, Thanks for that - I knew I had read that before (on your trip report) but just couldn't find it again! We have booked Montchavin after all, really looking forward to it!
ski holidays
Just come back from our week in Montchavin - we had a great time and definitely the best skiing we've had in Europe. Mrs Gorilla will even go back than which here is no higher acollade The only comment I'd make is that the gradng of the runsin the area is just a little inconsistent - the two long blues down into Montchavin (Pierres Blanches and Mont Blanc) are probably the two most challenging European Blues I have come across - narrow in places and steep in others with some tight-ish bends. This - for us - actually made them very very enjoyable - but there is no other (easier) way down into Montchavin. The challenge is simply that at busy times there is a vast range of abilities on these slopes.

This wasn't a problem for us because being tree lined for most of the way down (one of the things we looked for in a resort) there were different ways of enjoying them and a few reds which could be used to cut out the Mont Blanc roads lower down - and at our age (early 60s) we didn't want to wreck our legs with every run. The red (Montchavin) giving acces to the village got very slushy and hard work later in the day. The blues over the mountain towards Belle Plagne were on the whole quite dull by comparison but good fun for a bit of variety. Montchavin itself was a lovely friendy and small resort - appearing very homely compared with the rather larger places like Belle Plagne.
Definitely will go again - and a possible place to take grand children a some point. Very Happy
snow conditions
We're still here on our second week. Loving it!!! It has been snowing heavy all day, so getting some powder skiing! The ski school Evolution 2 is brill, they have cured our sons phobia of ski school. So much that he went back for a second week!! Got same instructor as well so he's totally loving it!!

Thinking of coming back here for the next few years so he can go thru the levels with them.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy