Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Strava for skiing - anyone done this ?

Poster: A snowHead
Mrs sev112 bought me a Garmin200 gps unit for for birthday in October and I have been using it to track my cycle rides since then - it is really good and simple

Does anyone have any experience of using strava or similar for tracking their skiing exploits or runs ?
Presumably the gap will just track co-ordinates and strava or harming connect will just plot those points on the map, irrespective of whether there is a road underneath the plots or not ?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
sev112, I've a Garmin Edge 205 which I use mainly for cycling but take skiing too. I upload to Garmin Connect, example here http://connect.garmin.com/activity/163718356 I'm sure Strava will be similar
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Claude B, did you really get to 126mph? wow ! why did you log so many splits? Also, did you keep on when on the lift as the ave speed is pretty low?

i have a garmin 800 and will def take it when i next go (next season sadly)
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Libertine, No, not sure, yes! That is actually the worst example I could have posted. I usually hit about 45 mph and there are 1 or 2 splits only. I just stick it in my pocket in the morning and don't touch until the end of the day.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
One of the limitations with Strava is that it will try and snap your tracks to roads or tracks. I had a discussion with one of their staff about this as I was tracking off-road routes when cycling and found that the route displayed when uploaded didn't match exactly what I'd done.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ski tracks does a fairly similar thing to Strava, but is designed specifically for skiing.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I just stick everything in Endomondo usually, and ignore the fact that it can't distinguish uplift. Strava is more aimed at beating times and racing in places where racing often ought not to take place. Fine for running, cycling uphill, and dedicated closed MTB courses etc. Not so fine for road cycling, MTBing on public paths or skiing on open piste (imho).

Ski Tracks is presumably one that can suss out what is lifts and what is skiing? Might try that.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Yep ski tracks can tell when your on a lift.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Oooh this isnlooking ingesting ...

Couple of Qs please
1 how do you attach the garmin so that it can see the satellites ? I was thinking of trying to attach it to my goggle strap somehow
2 does skitracks and endomondo read the garmin - presumably they all speak a similar language

Off to have a look at those sites
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I have a Garmin eTrex Vista HCx. It mostly works inside my ski jacket pocket. With that model, it records direct to microSD card, 1 file per day. I just copy that off to PC, and upload to Endomondo (Strava is same).

Was thinking about getting one that would fit to bike though. Edge something, but can't decide what yet. I just stick the eTrex in back pocket of jersey when on the bike (and camera in the other side to balance the weight).

Yep - most things speak GPX (or TCX), and most online services understand that (or both).
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I believe ski tracks is just an app for the iPhone, not sure it's available on any other platform/phone. Just loaded it up on my phone and this is the website address of the developers...

http://www.corecoders.com/

I've used it the last couple of years and it works well, just start it up and leave it in my jacket pocket! The battery lasts the day although their isn't much left by the end!
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
andy,
Yes I have the Edge200 which is the most basic but does what I need which is tracking my routes and distances
It doesn't track heart rate or provide directions, but those 2 higher spec models (500 and 800) are much more expensive
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I thought Strava was for sports people to log their activities not for lardie blokes to see which mountain restaurants they've had a beer at.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sev112, I've the same model. I just put it in my pocket once it's picked the satellites up. Doesn't seem to lose them at all.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
davidof, you could set up a segment to see who is fastest from one side to the other of the beer terrace at the Folie Douce
ski holidays
Find it useful for tracking those lost hours...
ski holidays
RunKeeper anyone?

I use it for running and cycling, skiing will be added this season
ski holidays
Arno wrote:
davidof, you could set up a segment to see who is fastest from one side to the other of the beer terrace at the Folie Douce

f'example
snow conditions
Actually, a friend of mine and I are working on this. He worked at Strava previously. There are a lot of ski trackers out there but we don't think any of them have quite got it right yet.

If you are interested, we are teeing up the beta for this November/December.

http://beaconsnow.launchrock.com/
snow report
In total agreement with davidof
Use Strava all the time in the mountains, be it cycling, hiking etc.
For skiing, only use it for ski touring as great to have records of routes and share with others.
For piste blasting / cruising etc there are plenty of drongo apps out there for that audience Very Happy
Below is an example
http://www.strava.com/activities/264725491
snow conditions
Icey Morning wrote:
I believe ski tracks is just an app for the iPhone, not sure it's available on any other platform/phone. Just loaded it up on my phone and this is the website address of the developers...

I've used it the last couple of years and it works well, just start it up and leave it in my jacket pocket! The battery lasts the day although their isn't much left by the end!

Ski Tracks works on android too.
latest report
I use both Strava & Ski Tracks for logging bike rides / Ski tracking...

However one of the best mapping/tracking apps out there (Android only) is AlpineQuest
It's a free app, but worth every penny of the £5 upgrade for the more functional paid version

It allows you to download a choice of Maps > Bing(5 types - roads;aerial etc)/Google(9 types, including bike/ski overlay)/OpenStreet etc, and if you do have MemoryMap 2004 QCT maps, you can have the whole of the OS mapping on your phone too!

I mainly use AlpineQuest to record rides over my OS maps these days, then save the gpx file and upload to Strava...
latest report
Ski Tracks is brilliant, and not only that but when I clocked some ridiculous speed in Andorra last year and thought to myself "this isn't right', I emailed them, and the same day they came back to me (not an auto email either - an actual person) with a downloadable bug fix which retrospectively amended my speed records to correct them. Apparently - they had an issue with tracking higher speeds which they have resolved.

Brilliant app, brilliant service.
ski holidays
I've used strava just to see what happened, seems to work well, eg

https://www.strava.com/activities/283227269
ski holidays
I've put ski days on Strava and Garmin Connect. Problem from my perspective is that it doesn't really separate out lifts from skiing just lumping it all together. I've used Ski Tracks the last 2 years but due to a phone problem requiring a factory reset have lost all my data. I had tried unsuccessfully to transfer the tracks. Not a huge problem but irritating.
latest report
@Claude B, my Fenix 3 separates outs lifts from skiing

http://www.dcrainmaker.com/2013/02/garmin-fenix-skiing.html
snow report
@kitenski, that looks pretty clever. Not sure Strava is best set up to make use of it though. Ski tracks may not be the most accurate but it does list each separate uplift and run with elevations, speeds, etc well.
snow conditions
Hi! Quick one- can / does anyone use Ski tracks _and_ Strava at the same time? On iPhone. I’d like to log the speed, distance etc on ST but also log the route on Strava. I wonder how my battery would like having them both running Eh oh!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Batesy, if you use slopes instead of ski tracks (v similar functionality), it can be set to automatically upload the activity to Strava, so you don't need to run both at once.
latest report
@Batesy, You can sync from skitracks to strava, using apps like RunGapp (which I use) or Healthfit. Or I've just started using workoutdoors as I can get maps and syncs to Strava. http://workoutdoors.net/
snow report
@Batesy, you can via a third party app called "strat upload". In ski tracks, you select "export GPX" and then select the strat upload icon from your iphone menu, and then you can change some key infomation (activity name, activity type but not all) it uploads to strava and you get a link to take you there. Then I go and edit the post properly directly in strava.
snow conditions
For Strava users I'd probably say go for Fatmap...who became part of the Strava family last week.
ski holidays
Icey Morning wrote:

Ski tracks is available for Android, as I've used it a few times over the years.
latest report
@Mjit, has fatmap been integrated into Strava?

@Bergmeister, You’re correcting a 10 year old post
snow report
Arno wrote:
......has fatmap been integrated into Strava?....

Press Release below.

Since this thread was first started there has been a lot of developments in gadget tech, not least the amount of apps you can now use on your Garmin watch along with the myriad of data screens, which then upload to Strava, hence you only see movement time down and number of runs, not the whole day as an activity.

I'm now using Carv which is just in another league in terms of data and how it can help you ski better, my piste skiing has come on loads in the last month since I've been using it, and I was not too shabby before.

OH's take on it https://stylealtitude.com/learn-to-carve-skiing-carv-review.html

FatMap Strava Press Release

I wanted to be the first to share some exciting news with you: FATMAP is now part of Strava, the leading social platform for movement!

We started FATMAP with a mission to make outdoor experiences more accessible to more people around the world. Joining forces with Strava will accelerate that mission and open up exciting possibilities to build new maps and experiences that have never been possible before.

As an existing FATMAP Explore member, your subscription and access to FATMAP will continue in exactly the same way and will not change as a result of this announcement.

By becoming part of the Strava family, we bring together the world’s largest active community and FATMAP’s 3D outdoor mapping, enabling new and exciting possibilities to help people discover and explore the world.

What’s more, in the coming months we'll be working on ways to take our mapping to another level with the help of the insights and activities from the Strava community and continue to bring you the best experiences to plan, navigate and share adventures.

Thank you for being a valued part of the FATMAP community. I am personally really excited about this next chapter and the potential it opens up to help people discover and explore the world’s wild places, safely and sustainably and hope you are too.
snow conditions
Or my mental translation when I go the email:

Quote:
FatMap Strava Press Release

[i]I wanted to be the first to share some exciting news with you: FATMAP is now part of Strava, and I just wanted you all to know I've made a huge amount of money!

So far the extent of the integration seems to have been replacing the app loading screen from the one saying "FATMAP" to one saying "FATMAP by Strava" - but longer term I'd expect to see FATMAP's 3D mapping coming to Strava and either integration between the 2 apps or FATMAP being folded into Strava. I just hope we keep the free version of FATMAP...
latest report
I was hoping that my paid subscription to Strava might get me some premium access to FatMap but nothing so far. Sad
snow report
Quote:
@Bergmeister, You’re correcting a 10 year old post
Better late than never wink
ski holidays
I've used Strava loads via a Garmin Forerunner 735XT. The only issue I have is that I have to change the type of activity on the site later as I can't select 'Alpine Ski' off the watch.

Just mentioned my Inferno run on another thread - this transferred to Strava perfectly https://www.strava.com/activities/838998885
snow report
Thanks everyone for the info and details - I’ve just got home from a week of shredding so I’ll have a play with one of the various options to bring my Ski tracks data into Strava.
Sadly I didn’t manage to beat my current record of 36 miles of skiing in a day, done on the last day of the Jan/ Feb 22 Snowheads trip in Arabba (I forget the name / acronym)
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy