Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

SANEF automated toll in an Audi

Poster: A snowHead
Read all the bumph about putting it behind the mirror in the blacked off area . . . but there isn't a blacked off area, the whole screen is the same colour in my Audi. There must be someone on here with a (modern) Audi using this system. Queston for you: just stick it in the area behind the rear view mirror and it works fine ??

I don't want to be the git holding a pile of frustrated Frenchmen up.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Quote:

just stick it in the area behind the rear view mirror and it works fine ??

works for me. I don't have a blacked off area either.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
If your car has a heated front windscreen then this can stop the sensor in the doofer working and being picked up by the barrier sensor. Due to the heating elements in the glass.

On MOST cars with heated FRONT windscreens, there is an area around where the rearview mirror is mounted too the screen that has NO heating element. On our Ford Mondeo it is shaded darker than the rest of the screen and this is where we stick our doofer.

If your car has NO heated front screen, then you can pretty much stick the peage tag anywhere, though higher up the screen and centralised seems to work better.

I am not an Audi owner so cannot tell you if they have heated screens or not, Your friendly audi dealer will tell you in a quick phone call.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Quote:

I don't want to be the git holding a pile of frustrated Frenchmen up.

What this sounds like the perfect start to any holiday Laughing
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Heated front windscreen is almost a non-existent option on Audis so I doubt if you have one but if you get there and it doesn't work just hold it out the window. Then stick it on the front of your sunroof instead. Mine works even in the glovebox unless you also turn it upside down.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Nickski, I've got an A6 (06, hope it's modern enough), my doofer is fitted just in front of the rear view mirror and works fine.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had trouble with my 'doofer' when I first got it. I stuck it in the clear area behind the rear view mirror of my Peugeot 307 and it failed to work at the first peage that I approached. I pulled it off the windscreen and held it in my hand outside the car, the barrier lifted as if by magic. The thing would not work from anywhere within the car. I think the windscreen has some reflective properties that stopped the signal from the device.
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Audis have to queue up in the normal lanes as punishment for tailgating everyone else, as doofers do not work in them. Maybe that`s just Belgian Audis. Toofy Grin Timbobaggins, Doofer king, Only Fords have heated front screens.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
VAG are missing a trick.

The only (and I mean only) good thing about my Focus is the heated front screen. I'll miss that bit when I go hop-skippping and jumping back to German engineering when it gets replaced.

WTF builds a car which requires you to get outside and wipe the condensation off the outside of the driver and passenger mirrors. Or did the factory just run out of fluffy strip the day mine was built. Oh and makes Isofix an optional extra on a family car. FFS.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Nickski, Check the cars handbook my German cars book has a whole page on which bit of the screen to use. But don't forget the first barrier at Calais takes a couple of extra seconds to lift, just to make you panic (I assume it's registering you onto the system Toofy Grin )
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Boredsurfing, good tip thanks. I may or may not share that info with OH just to see his face Toofy Grin . Our first ever doofer arrived in the post today Very Happy
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
cstreat wrote:
Audis have to queue up in the normal lanes as punishment for tailgating everyone else, as doofers do not work in them. Maybe that`s just Belgian Audis. Toofy Grin Timbobaggins, Doofer king, Only Fords have heated front screens.

Not so, My Skoda superb estate has one - but licenced from Ford who are the patent holder I believe
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
marmotte16 wrote:
Boredsurfing, good tip thanks. I may or may not share that info with OH just to see his face Toofy Grin . Our first ever doofer arrived in the post today Very Happy

Laughing Laughing I have got use to the delay over the years but it still causes a 'pause' Toofy Grin
Its a bit like still ducking as you approach the 1.85m bar across the lanes for the Channel Tunnel even though you know you will easily go under snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
mishmash wrote:
cstreat wrote:

Not so, My Skoda superb estate has one - but licenced from Ford who are the patent holder I believe

I believe the patent has expired. In the UK at least, it's 20 years on a patent, and the QuickClear windscreens first appeared in the mid-80s on Ford Granadas.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
cstreat wrote:
Only Fords have heated front screens.
Not true. Ford patented the technology (fine filaments within a laminated screen) and licensed it to other Ford group cars such as Land Rover, Jaguar, Aston Martin, Volvo and Mazda. That patent has now expired and they are becoming more widely available - it's an option on a VW Passat for instance.
snow conditions
Have a 2008 vintage A6 estate, and I usually jam the doofer between the windscreen and the dashboard. Works fine as long as you get it the right way up (and that is not intuitive - looks at the bracket and what side is sticky). The reason we don't use the bracket? Left it in the previous car when we sold it. Dohh!!!
snow conditions
Audi A3 S Line 2009 Works perfectly just to the left of the mirror. Still not dared to do 30 kph thru the non stop lanes....
ski holidays
Quote:

Still not dared to do 30 kph thru the non stop lanes....

Why on earth not, you must be holding others up?
snow report
Boredsurfing, but you need to remember that 30 on the speedo is a lot faster than 30 kph
latest report
Raceplate, It`s been longer than I thought since I had a Ford, then. Still a superb feature on a car.
snow conditions
BergenBergen wrote:
Boredsurfing, but you need to remember that 30 on the speedo is a lot faster than 30 kph

I convert my digital speedo to kph Very Happy
ski holidays
Boredsurfing, They don't seem that popular - working up thru 21kph - the barrier seems to loom up quickly whilst you wait for the beep!
snow report
Boredsurfing, They don't seem that popular - working up thru 21kph - the barrier seems to loom up quickly whilst you wait for the beep!
ski holidays
chocksaway, Quite a few have been removed, apparently there is an issue with the staff crossing through the lanes.
latest report
feef wrote:
mishmash wrote:
cstreat wrote:

I believe the patent has expired. In the UK at least, it's 20 years on a patent, and the QuickClear windscreens first appeared in the mid-80s on Ford Granadas.

If that's the case, then I cannot understand why the heated screen is an option on luxury German marques, surely it should be standard kit. My wife has had Fiesta's for years and I think it must be 15 years since she had one without the heated screen, but still an option on an A6 Puzzled
latest report
Boredsurfing, Presumably to slow things down as they are putting them out of a job!
ski holidays
Thanks all, especially for the usual thread drift. Basil, mines 09 so I'll just try it and wave it out the window if it doesn't. Perhaps if I get really bored I'll read the manual.

I have a heated front windscreen and a voice command system I had to switch off because it doesn't understand northern accents.
ski holidays
Nickski wrote:
Thanks all, especially for the usual thread drift. Basil, mines 09 so I'll just try it and wave it out the window if it doesn't. Perhaps if I get really bored I'll read the manual.

I have a heated front windscreen and a voice command system I had to switch off because it doesn't understand northern accents.

Its worth looking in the manual - i did for the skoda's heated windscreen and it becomes more obvious where it needs to go. I use a blob of blu tak so I can take it on and off as required ( i think i read somewhere that left in vehicle or even mount left in vehicle is attractive for thieves).\\
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've got an Audi A6 and yes no porblems with it being behind the rear view mirror, works everytime.

(for those with comments about heated windscreens I also use the doofer there in the Focus with one and no issues either)
snow report
I have stuck mine in the dark area behind the rear view mirror on my old Volvo, but it does not have a heated screen, hope it works going to look a proper Charlie at the first toll on Thursday if it don't Shocked
snow report
Quote:

Its a bit like still ducking as you approach the 1.85m bar across the lanes for the Channel Tunnel even though you know you will easily go under snowHead

I drive through there as quick as possible to scare Mrs B - once I've checked we're not travelling with roofbox Embarassed
ski holidays
Boris, Your new car won't go under Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Worked like a dream and my car doesn't have a heated windscreen, just wing mirrors. I was wrong. There, I've said it).
snow conditions
Bumped as I need advice for a Volvo heated screen, anyone got a V90 and tag?
There is no “blacked out”area and You are not supposed to put a Dashcam near the mirror because it interferes with the safety stuff so I assume that the tag would do the same. Emailed both Emovis and Volvo both are non comically bad, asking me to ask the others.
Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
@harrim51 you may need to create a new post to get attention. I can't help as my car has the blacked out area. SImple google search led me here https://www.volvoforums.org.uk/showthread.php?t=284891 and https://www.volvocars.com/uk/support/topics/use-your-car/good-to-know/positioning-toll-tags-on-windscreens-with-heat-reflective-film
latest report
Surely there's a Volvo geek website that covers this. FWIW, I have one of these, in a Macan. It differs from earlier types in that there is a layer of silver in the window doing the work rather than wires. So yes, if this is the type used by Volvo, you must find a place for it (the toll transponder, the radar detector, etc) to be able to see through, and that's where the frits (black dots) are.

FWIW #2: It was a $475 option on my car and I have found its performance to be underwhelming. I'd only recommend it to someone who parks outside in freezing weather with some regularity.
snow report
Thanks for your reply’s I have searched but found nothing 100%, just wondering if anyone has a definite answer. I think it’s going to be a hold and hope on the first barrier…
snow conditions
@harrim51, if needs be just wave the doofer out of the window
snow report
when I first started using one it surprised me how close you have to get to the barrier ( non 30 kph lane ) before it bleeps. You have to go well beyond the ticket machine
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy