Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Paradiski - North Face, Bellecote

Poster: A snowHead
So - how difficult IS it??

Some people last year said - when you are more confident . . .

Others say - go for it

I'm there for the season (Plagne 1800) and am guessing that its something I can do already. But would like to know from people who've done it (I think I've seen that a few have been to La Plagne/Paradiski!) what it's really like

I'm a pretty competent skier - I just lack confidence in myself. I have mainly skied on my own the last two seasons so haven't progressed as far/fast as I should have. But this season it looks like I will have a few people to go ski with, so as long as I can look after my knees, I should get much better Very Happy (I'm an adrenalin junkie - real life used to include motorbike trackdays as a highlight Very Happy )
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
depends which route. something like the Cairn or Canadian couloir is quite a serious route with one or two sections which are steep and feel like very bad places to fall if the snow is hard. The Petit Face Nord (think that's the name) isn't super steep (black run steepness I guess) but is a long backcountry route so you need to be prepared and know where you are going, but the skiing itself is very do-able
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
chaletgirl, I'd strongly recommend that you do your first trip, at least, with someone who is confident at route finding down the face. Difficult to back out of a descent if you get in to trouble.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanx guys.

If I do it, I'll probably ask Christophe from Reflex to take me there - he taught me to ski a couple of years ago and I have had lessons with him each season, so he knows how good I am!

At least I know not to 'just go' if the youngsters in the team say they are off to do that route!! Smile
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
chaletgirl, sounds like a good plan.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
rob@rar wrote:
chaletgirl, sounds like a good plan.

I can almost hear him now - non, non, non!!!!!!!! LOL

Although when I pointed out a black I wanted to do last year he shrugged his shoulders and said - BOR-ING, we will find Moguls instead Shocked

At least I trust him to say no if I can't but push me if I can. Very Happy
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Go with Mr Lagu, he'll take you if your at the right level.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
This should really be in the Off-piste section.

Basically 2 through to 10 (Cairn) have very steep top sections (around 45º) but 11 and 12 are much gentler, at most black piste steepness (never done 13 & 14, or 1-4 for that matter) - except it is all off piste of course, and subject to avalanches:
Edit: You can cut across to 10 after the first bit of 11 and miss the steep start.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Mon 19-11-12 15:38; edited 4 times in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I've always wanted to do the North Face of the Bellecote, ever since many childhood trips to La Plagne
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I would love to do it too but (aside from prob not competent enough, for steep sections at least) what has held me back is that I was told it is particularly avalanch prone because it is wind-loaded, and big avalanches can happen unexpectedly even when the official risk is low. Anyone have any info on this.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Just do it with a guide - I wouldn't do it without one.

pic taken by another group member - possibly Horizon (after the steep first bit.)
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
I have skied it, and it was quite wonderful. I would only ever do this with a local guide, or a local who knows the routes and conditions extremely well. Ideally ski with a guided group for a week, and ask the guide if you can do it. I skied it with a guide from Oxygene Ski School in La Plagne.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
patricksh, every north-face in the Alps is wind-loaded (prevailing wind is from the south-west).

This sort of vague generalisation is really unhelpful in avalanche prediction/safety training. You need to know the local conditions at the time (snowpack, recent weather, etc) and make a decision on the day. If you're not up to doing that, go with someone who is!
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I skied the Couloir Canadien some years ago and thought it was just about the most enjoyable couloir I have ever skied.

It is much wider than your average couloir and longer than most. Part way down it snakes to the right if I remember correctly and from above you are not sure what is coming. I don't think it is too difficult with good snow conditions which is what we had when I skied it. We dropped into it from skier's left which was quite steep, but once in the couloir it was fine. Icy conditions as always would be a different proposition.

Definitely take a guide because once you start there is no turning back.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Me, a few years back.

Guide booked: check
Snow fantastic: check
forecast good: check

High cloud on the north face, B*llocks!

still it wasn't too shabby lower down, the sun came out for 5 mins when we were at the top of a lovely pitch with very deep snow!

snow conditions
kitenski, Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool loverly
latest report
chaletgirl, if you want to do it in late January I'll go with you - never done it before but always wanted to. I'll be over in Les Arcs so I can scoot over and join you. I think you have to have a guide to go up there - or pass the 'nature awareness' course the park rangers run. As said, I think for the first few times a guide is a pre-requisite, partly because of the really jolly picture snowball posted with the remains of the large, hairy avalance shown in the only exit route .....

I think only certain instructors are allowed to be alpine guides so you need to check if they are autorised or not.

If you are up for it, pm me your details in La Plagne and I'll get in touch when I arrive. I'll see if I can rustle up some addtional bodies who might want to tag along and spread the cost a bit.
ski holidays
Peterjones3, Who is Mr Lagu? (or is this an in joke I don't know yet??)

snowball, Brilliant pics and info - thank you lots. Will only go with a guide.

kitenski, Fabulous pic! Thank you

RattytheSnowRat, by the end of January, I may have enough courage to do it!!! My friend that is working for the same company has said he'll do it too if I sort a guide etc So it could be quite good if we have a few people. Would probably have to be either a Weds or a Tues as that will be our day off (if we organise to have the same day!! LOL)

Will PM details, thanx

And thanx again all for the info/advice
ski holidays
Oh - will probably be asking the guy from Reflex - Christophe. Pretty sure he is qualified to guide that - if not, one of his guys will be (some of my guests two years ago went on guided off piste skis every day with Reflex, mainly involving skins too!! Eek!)
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy