Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Guided Haute Route or something similar

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
There is a chance that I might have 2 weeks off before starting a new job and I want to do something exciting.
I was thinking of cycling on Kilimanjaro but April-May seems to be the very wet season so that's out. Got a bit of a sore elbow so the default option of 2 weeks climbing is also not great. I may cycle the West Highland way for a few days but am really keen to do some ski touring.
Predictably enough I fancy the Haute Route but it may well be beyond me. There also seem to be various other options further into Austria which may well have better snow this year.
So, can anyone recommend any guides or companies that have any thrilling ski escapades running round about the end of April?

More detail on me:
Went up up Barre Des Ecrins years ago but not much decent alpine climbing experience.
Climb rock up to F7a.
Occasionaly manage road cycles of 100miles a day, up to 3.5km ascent.
Mountain bike rides up to 80km a day.
Prefer skiing off piste, not that good. Happy on Flypaper and stuff like that. Not happy when it's too icy (partly cos the skis are knackered from thin conditions off piste). Really like red run moguls; quite like black run moguls. Skied off a few cornices and small jumps.

Inspire me
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
http://eagleskiclub.org.uk/club-tours

depending on the dates, the introductory touring week followed by the Gran Paradiso introductory tour might fit your bill nicely. 1 place left on both according to the website!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
TheGeneralist,

If you are looking to try something different and get some touring in, Lyngen is supposed to be brilliant. I know Piste to Powder run a tour there: http://www.pistetopowder.com/ski-touring-course-norway-lyngen.html but there are others as well. I haven't done it myself but have only heard great stuff and definitely have it on my to do list.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Re: skiing ability, it all rather depends on your route (obvs) but in terms of time spent doing it I'd say the ratio of touring/climbing to skiing is 5:1. So most of your tme will be spent skinning, climbing etc. Not sure if that affects your decision.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have you done any ski touring? If not then I'd recommend a ski touring skills course to get familiar with the basic skills and techniques for touring - skinning, uphill turns, using crampons, glacier travel, emergency procedures - before joining up for a multi-day tour.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Quote:
Lyngen is supposed to be brilliant.
Lyngen Lodge is about £2500 a week (plus flights). Does look incredible though.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
For intro tours Austria is good - multi-day touts in the Silvretta, Stubai or Oetztal.

If you want a guided tip then I recommend Mountain Tracks
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Piste to Powder also do the Silvrettas
http://www.pistetopowder.com/ski-touring-course-silvretta-austria.html

The Austrian Alpenverein are also doing numerous ski tours in Austria during April & May ....

http://www.alpenverein-edelweiss.at/OEAV-EVENTS/alpin-programm/getVeranstaltungListe.php?zv=104&von=1&what=1&back=0&webcode=&art=Alle&aktiv=Skitouren&ziel=-&gebiet=Alle&beginnt=1&monat1=4&jahr1=2012&monat2=5&jahr2=2012&leitung=Alle&sektion=Edelweiss&max_search=50&details=Suche+starten

I've also used these guides and had a very good experience.
http://www.glocknerprofi.at/skitouren.php
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Something a bit different: http://www.responsibletravel.com/holiday/3162/finnmark-ski-touring-holiday-in-norway

Not ideal if you like haute cuisine and flushing toilets though...
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ive just come back from an attempt at the 4 day Verbier to Zermatt section of the Haute Route with my family and another family. Whilst we didnt make the full trip due to weather amongst other things it was epic and id fully recommend it .
We will all be back ski-touring and probably most of us will have another go at the Haute route. This was our first hut to hut trip and whilst most suggest others as a start I think this was within our capabilities. You sound like you would be fit enough and it is mostly ascent-the ski-ing we saw was pretty mild.
We used mountain tracks www.mountaintracks.co.uk and they were excellent.

Very jealous snowHead
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy