Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sleeping in the car Val Thorens

Poster: A snowHead
OK this is going to sound crazy but hear me out.

About 10 years ago my brother and I took a ski trip to Val d'Isere in his transit van and stuck a mattress in the back. We slept in the back of that in one of the underground car parks for 4 nights.

It was perfectly fine: not exactly a luxury holiday but an adventure none-the-less, and since the underground car parks were around 5 degrees there was no risk of freezing to death.

Fast forward to the present day, I've got two kids - 3 and 5 - and I want to take them skiing for the first time.

Val Thorens has quite a few free magic carpet rides and I don't want to shell out a lot on lift passes in case they absolutely hate it. For similar reasons, I also don't want to shell out a lot on accommodation.

So here's the crazy plan: I have an electric car (Tesla), which handily has a "Camp Mode" keeping the car at a toasty 22 degrees even while you sleep. I've slept in the back of the car with the kids a couple of times on a sort of camping road trip and it's been perfectly fine.

So the plan would be to drive to val Thorens from London, park in one of the covered car parks in val thorens and sleep in the car for a few nights and teach them to ski on the magic carpet rides.

My wife of course thinks I've absolutely lost the plot and is close to vetoing the whole thing. My question is, can anyone see any obvious flaws in the plan? Remember I have done this once before successfully so don't tell me it can't be done.

The only thing I thought is that since we were in the back of a transit van none of the car park attendants would have any idea we were there where as in a car if someone comes walking around and sees a dad and two kids in the back of the car they might kick us out: presumably sleeping in the car isn't strictly speaking allowed.

The alternative is one of the camping car parks but these have a tiny capacity (10) and it'll be open-air, which thought it might not be a problem, may put the heating system of the car under duress and certainly drain the battery a lot quicker.

So any flaws or any alternative suggestions that broadly fit the bill would be much appreciated!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
What do you do for toilet facilities and ablutions, assuming you will want to wash, in a carpark? Or do I not want to know?
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@crazy_dad, there's a car camping group on Facebook, you'll probably get a more reasonable response there.

My question though would be how can you get all your stuff in the car and actually lie down.

I now also see 'teach them to ski'....gets popcorn...
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can't say for sure, if this is the most stupid idea I ever heard of. But must be pretty much up there.

Welcome to snowheads. snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Navigating the toilet issue isn't so bad: for young kids you can use a travel potty that gets emptied into a cafe toilet when you get your morning croissants.

For washing you can use the visit the pool every other day (sports centre) and go swimming and use the opportunity to clean them. Either way going a few days without washing isn't exactly the end of the world.

Packing all the stuff is difficult - the main issue is getting the car seats out of the way. You can pack relatively lightly (Tesla also has a front boot too) and since it'll be just me the passenger seat area gets packed out quite heavily. I haven't quite solved that problem with the car seats yet, that's stage 2 if I see if this is feasible at all.

Yes and "teach them to ski" will be the "fun" part lol. I'll also bring some sleds along so we can just go sledding if it is a total disaster (is that allowed?). The main thing is I like to have adventures with the kids whether they turn out 100% successfully or not...the joy is in having a go!

Thanks for the advice on the car camping group - will check that out. Don't use FB much these days so didn't cross my mind.
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Ah, its a pisstake. Literally with a travel potty Toofy Grin
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Tristero wrote:
Can't say for sure, if this is the most stupid idea I ever heard of. But must be pretty much up there.

Welcome to snowheads. snowHead

I'll be sure to remind you of that on completion of a successful trip Very Happy
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I was on a yacht anchored in Dartmouth Harbour a few days ago, when just as it was getting dark, a guy in a floppy inflatable dinghy hailed us and asked if we had a pump he could use, as his was broken. Our skipper produced one and helped him pump up his dinghy. They had a chat. The guy was a liveaboard on a very "together" looking boat anchored near us, and said he had a disabled 4 year old and wanted to give him the best possible experience and planned to take him to Svalbard next year to see the polar bears. Your plan is not nearly as daft as that.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Your wife is right, you have lost the plot.

If you’re driving there’s cheap accommodation within 15 miles of Val Thorens, check out airbnb and Vrbo.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Sounds mental to be honest. I've car camped the odd night on road trips between stopovers and while it's fine for a few hours kip it's not something I'd want to do for multiple days and especially not with little kids. They'll be knackered and it's a long time from 6pm to 8am to be in a car. Can you not book a room at the UCPA?

Save some money and spring for some kids lessons at Hemel instead?
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@crazy_dad,
Flaws:-
You are trying to do it on the cheap, but factor in the costs of:- being arrested & prosecuted for illegal parking/child abuse; car being impounded; flat battery - Val Thorens is somewhat higher than VdI.
Where are you going to store the ski kit?
What are the insurance implications?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
How long does the battery last in “camp mode” when the outside temperature is only 5 degree? (How long will it last if there’s a cold snap and the outside temperature goes below zero?)

Also, isn’t 3 a little too early to start skiing? Unless he’s relatively big for his age, I’m not sure if you can find hired boots to fit his feet.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Where are you going to dry the wet ski kit ?
You could maybe get a couple of hours skiing out of a three year old, what, where do you do,go for the rest of the day ?
One of the children becomes unwell, again where what ?
The weather is to bad to take children skiing, what, where ?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Why not just cross the channel to Netherlands & go SnowWorld indoor slope? In the evenings you could go back to smoking something.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@crazy_dad, my first reaction is that if you can afford a Tesla, you can afford to give your kids a slightly less minging experience. Rather than saving money “in case they don’t enjoy it”, splash out on a nice apartment with a pool, and ensure they will enjoy it. It’ll cost less than a months depreciation on your car.

But in the spirit of being practical, my observation would be that moisture management will be a big challenge. Winter camping, car camping, and skiing, all individually have this as a problem, combined it’ll be a big issue. If you go ahead with your plan, I’d take a jumbo box of chemical hand warmers, so you can drop one in each ski boot and each glove at night, to dry them out.

When we weren’t sure if my son would enjoy skiing, we went to Scotland for two days to start, via sleeper train, staying in the premier inn. Had a great time. It was cheaper than sleeping in the car boot in the alps.
ski holidays
Take them to a snow dome and see if they like it.
latest report
Drive to Courchevel, you will “save” more that way Laughing
snow report
Quote:

It’ll cost less than a months depreciation on your car.

Good point, well made, @snowdave.
snow conditions
snowdave wrote:
@crazy_dad, my first reaction is that if you can afford a Tesla, you can afford to give your kids a slightly less minging experience. Rather than saving money “in case they don’t enjoy it”, splash out on a nice apartment with a pool, and ensure they will enjoy it. It’ll cost less than a months depreciation on your car.

But in the spirit of being practical, my observation would be that moisture management will be a big challenge. Winter camping, car camping, and skiing, all individually have this as a problem, combined it’ll be a big issue. If you go ahead with your plan, I’d take a jumbo box of chemical hand warmers, so you can drop one in each ski boot and each glove at night, to dry them out.

When we weren’t sure if my son would enjoy skiing, we went to Scotland for two days to start, via sleeper train, staying in the premier inn. Had a great time. It was cheaper than sleeping in the car boot in the alps.

I just took them to Scotland over February half term and the snow was awful and the few slopes that were open were far too busy to teach young kids how to ski.

So far none of the objections are looking insurmountable so it's looking good!
ski holidays
How about the objection that teaching your own kids to ski is NOT a good idea and that even a professional ski instructor would struggle with two such tiny kids? I hope you're REALLY good at skiing backwards bending over.

And if you're thinking about half term again French slopes will also be very busy. And unless you book in advance, there won't be any instructors available even if you change your mind about DIY. When are you thinking of going?

What will you do between end of skiing and bed-time which won't cost a lot of money? Where will you go if you need to poo at 2 am?
snow report
@crazy_dad, why Val Thorens? It's an odd choice if you're trying to keep costs down. Even buying a hot chocolate to warm the kids back up will be comparatively expensive.

Most resorts have at least one free lift you could use. If you're driving you can wait until the last minute and choose somewhere with snow. You could slay stay in cheap digs outside resort and drive up to ski.

The leisure centre in Val Thorens isn't cheap. At summer prices you'd be paying €86 euros for access over the week.

Are you sure that the cost of parking in one of the Val Thorens covered carparks is that much cheaper than staying in a cheap apartment, particularly if you choose a cheaper resort or stay out of resort and drive up to ski.
snow conditions
Someone see/work out what you are doing would probably report you to the french plod for child neglect.
ski holidays
You will of course be showing this thread to your wife to show that the issues are not insurmountable?

Adventure and self deprivation as a consenting adult are fine - for tiny kids it's a whole new ballgame of pain. What if one gets the shites for instance?

Plus I'm not sure that despite the free travelators VT is the best place for absolute beginners. The flattest slope alongside is also the main thoroughfare for speedier skiers and the others get plenty of traffic and cut up good.
latest report
Crazy idea for all sorts of reasons.and I think it would end up being a miserable experience for you all. Val Thorens can be a bleak place in bad weather. You may spend 3 days sitting in the car. Book a studio apartment and some ski lessons for the kids.
snow report
Dave of the Marmottes wrote:

Adventure and self deprivation as a consenting adult are fine - for tiny kids it's a whole new ballgame of pain. What if one gets the shites for instance?

Are you forgetting the travel potty?
snow conditions
That's perfectly possible. And if that happened you would need to be armed with documentation showing that the children's mother had agreed to your taking them. Otherwise they might be suspicious that you'd abducted them. (Actually, having such documentation with you would be a good idea even if you were renting an apartment).
snow conditions
I think your kids deserve more....
Particularly if you hope to ensure they enjoy it and want to go skiing again.
Make an investment in them and their enjoyment.
ski holidays
You bought a Tesla but then are too tight to pay for somewhere warm, dry and with a working loo?
If this is a genuine post and not just trolling then why not stay somewhere 'off mountain' in an apartment or whatever where it's cheaper, there are more activities etc and just drive up to a ski resort on a couple of the days? I'm sure somewhere like Geneva or Lyon has things to keep young children occupied and they get a bit of exposure to french culture then it's not a totally wasted trip.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
crazy_dad wrote:

Val Thorens has quite a few free magic carpet rides and I don't want to shell out a lot on lift passes in case they absolutely hate it.

Most resorts give free ski passes to young children.

crazy_dad wrote:

For similar reasons, I also don't want to shell out a lot on accommodation.

Then don't. Stay somewhere cheap lower down in the valley.

crazy_dad wrote:
...teach them to ski on the magic carpet rides.

You'd be crazy to try and teach your own kids to ski... I've heard that professional ski instructors don't even do this!
snow report
@Bob, +1

£50k car, won’t spend £500 on an apartment.

At 2300m in winter, unless you’re active, or it’s great weather and the middle of the day, it’s COLD. That means spending 4pm-9am (17hrs/day) in the car trying to stay warm.
snow conditions
snowdave wrote:

Yes, doing it this way seems like a cast iron guarantee that they won't enjoy it Laughing

Maybe save some cash by going at a cheaper time and to a less expensive resort

If you really want to test their resilience in the face of a s41tty ski experience, maybe take them dry skiing in the UK on a rainy windy day. If they like that, they'll love anything resembling snow
ski holidays
An interesting article here on teaching kids to ski:
https://www.neilson.co.uk/ski/family-ski-holidays/articles/how-to-teach-your-children-to-ski
I know it's part of the Snowheads mantra to say that it's crazy to teach your own kids to ski and that it will end in disaster but is it really true? There seem to be plenty of people who do teach their own kids. And it's fairly normal to introduce your kids to some other sports e.g. sailing and swimming.
latest report
I presume this is wee wee take
snow report
@sugarmoma666, I sure 1 on 1 it's possible but if you're skiing with a 3 year old between your legs then who is helping the 5 year old?

I've seen parents doing it but they spend far longer in the lodge/ restaurant than they do on a slope. My niece had a few lessons at Hemel at 3. They only do an hour at a time. She did great but probably wouldn't have coped with any longer.
snow conditions
My son in law, a PE teacher and good skier, gave their just 4 year old her first hour on skis - he pulled her up the slope, her holding on to a pole (this is quite a good balance exercise, actually) and then skied backwards in front of her, holding her skis in snowplough, then gradually letting go as she did ever longer slides, "hands on knees". This was to find out if they should book lessons - she loved it, and they did, but he was completely knackered and he's an athlete. No way could he have dealt with two little ones.

Loads of people teach their kids to ski. Sometimes successfully, if they are really good skiers themselves, but often rather badly! You do see some dire sights, especially in resorts favoured by the English.

In my experience not many parents teach kids to sail. I belong to two local sailing clubs which major on junior training - many of the parents are skilled helms themselves but the kids are out with instructors - often solo in their own little Optimists. That's in dinghies. In cruisers kids can more easily "pick up" the knowledge and gradually be given heavier jobs to do but again, in my experience many of the most competent skippers have started in dinghies. You do see some cruisers being sailed by people who clearly have very little clue.

French people, who in the whole are infinitely more competent skiers than Brits, generally put kids in ski school for years. If only so they can go and do their own thing.

The OP asked about sledging, and whether it's allowed. The answer is no, it's not allowed on pistes, for obvious reasons, but most resorts will have a suitable area set aside (the fact that he's asked that question makes me wonder how much experience he has).
ski holidays
DaveyGTi wrote:
You bought a Tesla.

It could be a company car or salary sacrifice where most companies only allow EV’s these days.
Makes sense to sacrifice if it reduces a tax band & possibly getting under the earning limits before children benefit payments taper.
latest report
Gored wrote:
DaveyGTi wrote:
You bought a Tesla.

It could be a company car or salary sacrifice where most companies only allow EV’s these days.
Makes sense to sacrifice if it reduces a tax band & possibly getting under the earning limits before children benefit payments taper.

Still though, working in a job that affords you a Tesla as a company car would presumably imply that a few hundred quid for a sofa bed + bunk beds type is not going to cause financial hardship, and if it does one should probably revisit some life choices.
snow report
The Val Thorens carparks have CCTV.
snow conditions
@crazy_dad, Yes, your username checks out.
ski holidays
DaveyGTi wrote:
Gored wrote:
DaveyGTi wrote:
You bought a Tesla.

Still though, working in a job that affords you a Tesla as a company car would presumably imply that a few hundred quid for a sofa bed + bunk beds type is not going to cause financial hardship, and if it does one should probably revisit some life choices.

Disagree. If a company is providing the car, then a tesla BIK is a few hundred £ per year. Compare that to say an Audi A4 diesel, then you are looking at nearly £3000 per year in BIK.
Company could be getting all sorts of deals which makes a Tesla comparable to lower grade of car. Also some companies like to portray an image - and putting their staff in high end luxury cars is part of the marketing.
I have worked at places who had staff with Mercs, but the staff members were earning under £25k. However it done wonders for the brand image as everyone thought the staff were well paid & must be good at their job.
The clever staff members took the £6k car allowance & drove around in nearly new VW's or Skodas Laughing
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy