Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
Mürren First snow of the season this Friday. Snow Cannons in place, chairs attached and the snow that has been stored has now been bashed out onto the piste.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Is that the curtain raiser to the new season. Skiing up at Schilthorn Birg.
In addition beautiful snowy views on two of my favourite webcams, Koncordia and Gleckstienhütte!
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Skiing at Birg today https://www.instagram.com/stories/kandaharskiclub/2964762561458761122/
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Can anyone tell me if piste 36 from Allmend down to the lift in Wengen will mostly like be open 1st - 8th April?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Glosterwolf, it was last season, though the bit that goes over the road can get a bit sketchy!

This was April 11th.

ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
@telford_mike, thanks again Mike. Think I'll try and find something more central than what I had in mind, just in case.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Skiing at Eigergletscher starting this weekend.

https://www.bernerzeitung.ch/einige-pisten-bereits-offen-758383144316
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've hesitated booking a week in December thinking it might be too early in order to fully enjoy the whole ski area.
From your experience in previous years, how is early March in Wengen or Grindelwald? My partner doesn't ski so we would prefer a spot that will still have snow at resort's level, for general atmosphere and hiking.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
drporat wrote:
I've hesitated booking a week in December thinking it might be too early in order to fully enjoy the whole ski area.
From your experience in previous years, how is early March in Wengen or Grindelwald? My partner doesn't ski so we would prefer a spot that will still have snow at resort's level, for general atmosphere and hiking.

Then i would suggest heading to the highest village in the region, car-free Mürren
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
drporat wrote:

Early March is fine in any of the villages, and probably the best time to visit. Wengen has snow to village level until mid-April, and lots of winter hiking trails. Mürren has snow later still, but only has about 45km of pistes so very limited if you stay there (though the best bits are absolutely epic). Grindelwald lower still, but with access to the Eiger Express to Eigergletscher, great access to skiing if you are confident (no easy ways down from Eigergletscher). Easy answer - early March - you can’t go wrong.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Skiing at Eigergletscher and Kleine Scheidegg today, Arven and Eigernordwand lifts open, as well as the trains and the Eiger Express gondola.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@telford_mike, @Chris Brookes, many thanks.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I'm booked to fly into Geneva on Monday 12th December, out on Friday 16th and it looks like all the accessible ski areas will be fully open by then... please correct me if I'm wrong?

I already know the advice generally is NOT to stay in Interlaken to access these areas, but as a solo male snowboarder who doesn't mind a bit of a travel at the start / end of each day, is it really that bad an idea? I have previously stayed in Täsch rather than Zermatt and didn't mind making exactly the same journey three times in a row there, so at least I'd be mixing it up a bit here.

One of the reasons I'm tempted is because of the Winterlaken Card which appears to include the ski passes and necessary local travel / shuttle.

Only thing I can't work out is whether I can get this for just 3 nights instead of the 4 I'm actually staying (because Monday and Friday will purely be Geneva travel days using SBB tickets) and whether I would therefore want it for the three nights (but really for the days) of Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday.

Does anybody have any actual practical experience of the Winterlaken Card, please? Did a quick site search and couldn't find anything Puzzled
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@jebroni3_16, no personal experience of the Winterlaken card, but according to this….

https://winterlakencard.ch/en/ ....it's minimum 2 nights, so you should be fine to book 3. Bargain price too. Staying in Interlaken in winter has become much more practical since the new station at Terminal opened. Direct trains every half hour, journey takes 30 minutes or so, but I'm sure you already knew all of that. Please report back with your experience of the Winterlaken pass - at CHF40 per day I've got a feeling it might prove to be a popular offer.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@jebroni3_16, looks amazing value for a short break, thanks for sharing.
snow conditions
You're welcome, @BertieG

I had the feeling someone on here had suggested it to me before, but having searched the forum, it appears as though I might be the only one to have mentioned it thus far.

There are only a few accomodations that appear to offer it though, and yes @telford_mike, it does appear as though I'll be able to get it for less days than the number of nights I'd be staying.

Guess I should probably just get on and actually book something!
snow report
So, was just about to book transport and accommodation, but thought I should check season opening dates and finally found them: LINK

Quote:
Kleine Scheidegg: Continuous operation from 26.11.22 (Chairlift Eigernordwand continuous operation | Chairlift Arven weekend operation) - 16.04.23
Männlichen: 10.12.22 - 10.04.23
Grindelwald-First: 17.12.22 - 26.03.23
Mürren-Schilthorn: Weekend operation from 05.11.22 (Chairlift Riggli) | Continuous operation from 10.12.22 - 10.04.23
(Operating hours subject to change)

How likely is it that Männlichen / Mürren-Schilthorn opening dates might get pushed back?

And how unlikely is it that Grindelwald-First might get brought forward so I could explore there too, please?
snow conditions
I would after telling us about it Laughing , I just had a quick look through as my free cancellation ends 17:00 today. I could have stayed at a 2 star hotel near Interlaken west station and I would have saved £1100 if I take into account buying passes for the family every day. Decent saving but decided against it for a few reasons there isn't much point going in to. I will be checking it for half term and Easter though. Probably more likely to do it if we ever leave kids behind.
snow conditions
jebroni3_16 wrote:
So, was just about to book transport and accommodation, but thought I should check season opening dates and finally found them: LINK

How likely is it that Männlichen / Mürren-Schilthorn opening dates might get pushed back?

And how unlikely is it that Grindelwald-First might get brought forward so I could explore there too, please?

Mürren could get pushed back, but they do have good snowmaking in the sector between Allmendhubel and Winteregg, so with cold (albeit dry) weather forecast this week I think they'll be ok. Männlichen is 100% covered by snowmaking, so there's unlikely to be a problem.

Grindelwald First won't open early - not enough guests until later in December.
ski holidays
Thanks @telford_mike

Think I might save Interlaken for later in the season then

Back to the drawing board...
ski holidays
We had a useful snowfall yesterday morning. Last night the skies cleared and we enjoyed beautiful moonlit views.

Männlichen has yet to open, but there are a few pistes and the Eigernordwand lift open at Scheidegg. No hotels open in Wengen yet, but all the shops and bars are operating. Dragged the snow shoes up from the cellar this morning and did a few laps.

The village is very quiet, though this will change at the weekend when Männlichen opens.
ski holidays
One more lift opened today - Lauberhorn.
latest report
This Saturday the following are open in Murren:
▪️ Cablecar
▪️SB Riggli
▪️SB Muttleren
▪️SB Kandahar
▪️SB Winteregg
▪️SB Maulerhubel
▪️SB Almiboden
▪️SL Allmendhube
The Allmendhubel funicular will not be able to operate until Friday 16.12.
The ski slope down Schilthorn cannot be opened yet, the snow layer of 40 cm of natural snow is not yet sufficient on this steep slope.
ski holidays
Took the train to Grindelwald this morning from Basel. The snow’s fantastic but the visibility at the top is horrendous…
snow report
Much better day at Männlichen, blue skies and fresh snow everywhere.

At the moment you can ski from Männlichen to Scheidegg, but not vice versa. Nursery lifts at Männlichen are not operating yet.
snow report
@telford_mike, yep we had a great day today. Beautiful weather. Glad I made the decision to stay over Very Happy
ski holidays
Gloomy at Scheidegg today, but very good snow, and very few people.

New building where the tipi used to be. Apparently it will be a bar, though it doesn’t look likely to open in any great hurry.

Just a few lifts open, no valley runs open yet, but the snow looks fine all the way back to Wengen.
snow report
That looks like a reclaimed building Mike, blends in quite well.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
It could be a welcome cosy refuge for a warming drink when it's a bit windy at Kleine Scheidegg...... Very Happy
ski holidays
Good skiing at Scheidegg this morning. Pistes are a mixture of artificial and natural snow. Very mild temperatures, +4C at 2000 metres, despite this the snow is firm and grippy.

There are still very few people around. Valley runs to Wengen and Grindelwald are open.
snow conditions
I have been looking at the mannlichen webcam after seeing the forecasts. It was reading 11 C mid afternoon Shocked
snow conditions
@Glosterwolf, me too. Flying out on Saturday. Snow in the village has been washed away. Hoping it’s all snow further up.

@telford_mike, raise my spirits please.
snow conditions
dode wrote:

[b]@telford_mike
, raise my spirits please.

Alas, I cannot. Having coffee at 6.30am and it’s +6C and pouring with rain in Wengen. It’s dark, so cannot see a snow line, but doubt it’s lower than 2500 metres. I guess the only consolation is that it would be the same regardless of where you had booked in the northern Alps. It’s due to turn much colder from Tuesday, so fingers crossed.

On the plus side, the beer is cold, and the spare ribs in the Eiger restaurant are spectacularly good!

[edit] Update, 9.00am. No skiing at Männlichen today owing to the weather. +7C, still raining. There is a snow line, looks like (a largely irrelevant) 2600 metres.
snow report
@telford_mike, Argh.
ski holidays
Looks like you’re in the eye of the storm. There will be a ton of snow up high when it finishes!
ski holidays
question for the : having booked for 31.Dec in Flaine, i am thinking to make a stoppover at 30.Dec in Interlaken.
Suprisingly i found an accommodation for one night (30.Dec).
So if we suppose that we will arrive in the area somewhere around 10.00 am (at 30.Dec) i have the option to ski for a few hours (or more) somewhere in Jungfrau. Which is the most easily accesible with car? i mean parking - Lifts - skiing? i am thinking parking in Lauterbrunnen and either to Winteregg - Mürren or choose the option for kleine Scheidegg?
I think that Mürren is more easily accesible? or i missed something?

or because of the weather condition better to avoid complete this extra day?
snow conditions
turms2 wrote:
question for the : having booked for 31.Dec in Flaine, i am thinking to make a stoppover at 30.Dec in Interlaken.
Suprisingly i found an accommodation for one night (30.Dec).
So if we suppose that we will arrive in the area somewhere around 10.00 am (at 30.Dec) i have the option to ski for a few hours (or more) somewhere in Jungfrau. Which is the most easily accesible with car? i mean parking - Lifts - skiing? i am thinking parking in Lauterbrunnen and either to Winteregg - Mürren or choose the option for kleine Scheidegg?
I think that Mürren is more easily accesible? or i missed something?

or because of the weather condition better to avoid complete this extra day?

Park at Terminal (Grindelwald), take gondola to Männlichen. Parking in Lauterbrunnen is difficult.
ski holidays
the parking at Terminal is near the gondola? or i have to take bus, train etc?
when i see the ski map i think it is not near the lifts
latest report
turms2 wrote:
the parking at Terminal is near the gondola? or i have to take bus, train etc?
when i see the ski map i think it is not near the lifts

It’s about 3 minutes walk.
latest report
ok thanks. Will do so probably
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy