Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Jungfrau Ski region pt. 2

Poster: A snowHead
@Glosterwolf, welcome to snowHeads! snowHead

You didn't say where you are staying - Grindelwald, Wengen or Mürren (or even possibly Lauterbrunnen)?

Will your wife be having any lessons during the week?

As it happens I'll be arriving in Wengen on 26th Dec, so if you want to we could meet up for a ski one day either in Wengen or elsewhere if you're not staying in Wengen. snowHead
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Glosterwolf wrote:
Hi all, been lurking on SH for a short while but thought I'd make my first post after reading back through most of this thread to get an idea what to expect regarding conditions and how busy it will be when we will be visiting 26th Dec - 2nd Jan

We are a family of 4 who all started skiing in 2018. It consists of me, a 39 yo advanced intermediate skier who tends to ski on the limit of my ability. My wife who is a steady beginner intermediate. My 10 yo daughter who is a solid intermediate who will do small jumps, headstrong, can see her being keen to go off-piste. My 7 yo daughter, fearless, aspiring amateur racer, Gloucester ski club member. Me and my daughters are regulars at the Gloucester artificial slope.

This will be our third ski holiday and first since COVID. Hoping it will be a bit more successful than the first where my wife slipped and broke her coccyx before getting skis on and the second where my youngest got suspected COVID on the third day! Laughing

We will want to explore the area as a family on the first couple of days but any suggestions for the rest of the week would be very welcome.

Which village are you staying at?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
The weather’s getting much cooler now, and the cows have all come down from the pastures above the village.

Wengen is still reasonably busy, but we're definitely winding down towards low season.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@Alastair Pink, @Chris Brookes, Hi,

Not getting alerts for some reason, better check settings.

We are staying in Wengen opposite Residence Brunner.

Would be nice to meet up one day later in the week.

So far I have only emailed Bob Eastwood at DHO about the younger daughter joining in with the coggins but there are question marks over it being a bit early for her.

In my mind this trip is a taster to see if we want to make Wengen our regular resort. If so next season we would be looking at joining DHO, getting season passes and driving down a few times each season.

We are booked to go to Les Diableretes in February this year due to having flights to Geneva I need to use up which is why I can't make the commitment this season even if we fall in love with it, probably a good idea to try somewhere else first anyway.

If I could book all the girls on 3 half days that would be ideal really but I am aware that might not be possible.

Last edited by You need to Login to know who's really who. on Thu 22-09-22 12:22; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@Glosterwolf, Hi
Good idea about contacting Bob Eastwood at the DHO re Coggins for your daughter. You probably know that anyone can have a taster day skiing with the DHO led group for free, normal morning meeting place is just outside the DHO office by the Eiger steps.

The Jungfrau region skipass of course covers you for Mürren and Grindelwald as well as Wengen, so if you wanted to meet with me on one of the days after you've found your way round the Wengen slopes I could show you one of the other slopes, probably Mürren as you'll want to visit the Schilthorn with its James Bond connections. Madeye-Smiley

I'll PM you my mobile phone number. snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Fascinating article about the snow farming at Birg. 95,000 cubic metres of snow was collected at the end of last season. Of this, about 15% has melted, but this still leaves enough to create a piste and a snow park. Target opening date is 5th November.

https://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch/artikel/203419/

ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@Glosterwolf. If you need any info on Mürren (the better village by far...lol) then fire away.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Chris Brookes, I was quite close to booking a place belonging to Beat Von Allmen in Murren actually, so I did do a fair bit of research on it. S/The impression I got was that it is slightly more charming than Wengen but more remote and that is what put me off when considering the rediculous amount of luggage the girls usually conjure up Laughing . I haven't booked anything for Easter yet, still worth a visit then?
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Glosterwolf wrote:
@Chris Brookes, I was quite close to booking a place belonging to Beat Von Allmen in Murren actually, so I did do a fair bit of research on it. S/The impression I got was that it is slightly more charming than Wengen but more remote and that is what put me off when considering the rediculous amount of luggage the girls usually conjure up Laughing . I haven't booked anything for Easter yet, still worth a visit then?

Yes, Nancy and Beat own SnowBird chalet though quiet expensive (imo) and can be a trek when you have young children. Plenty of other apartments available in Mürren and more central to the lifts. Mürren is car-free, higher elevation, snow sure, superb on/off piste skiing (though small) plus amazing views.
'Remote' to me is heaven but totally understand. I would say though having large amounts of luggage isn't an issue when visiting. Load it underneath the cablecar in Lauterbrunnen and then collect it at the Mürren station. You can then arrange for it to be delivered to your accommodation!
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Where is the best place to look for appartments, I have only been checking booking and airbnb. Haven't seen much availability on there, girls are a bit young still for 2 hotel rooms.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Glosterwolf wrote:
Where is the best place to look for appartments, I have only been checking booking and airbnb. Haven't seen much availability on there, girls are a bit young still for 2 hotel rooms.

https://chalet.myswitzerland.com/holiday-rentals/muerren/

https://muerren.swiss/en/winter/eat-and-stay/apartments/

https://www.topapartments.ch/en/muerren.html
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Glosterwolf, A few agencies:

https://www.wengenapartments.com/
https://www.interhome.ch/
https://www.alpineholidayservices.ch/
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’ve tentatively made a booking for Grindelwald in late January. Wengen seems to get the tick from many on here for being the smaller / more charming option but accommodation options there were more expensive than Grindelwald.

This will my first time skiing or visiting the area.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Raven, for future reference for the last few years I've always stayed at the hotel Edelweiss in Wengen. Very good value for Switzerland. If you want to eat there in the evening they do an excellent 4 course meal for CHF35.
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Have no fears about your location in Grindelwald @Raven, Grindy is lovely and you are in the correct place for access to the new state of art lifts.
The First (stands alone) area is a small sunny delightful area above Grindelwald.
ski holidays
Beautiful in the Oberland at the moment. Lunch at Männlichen with incredible views from the Berghaus restaurant.

Temperatures are still mild, but the reservoirs are all full, so fingers crossed.
ski holidays
lovely Mike
latest report
Top4 ski passes on sale from 1st November. CHF850 for adults if you get the early purchase deal (until 15th December).

https://top4.ski/
ski holidays
@telford_mike, interesting, when you first posted the link to the Jungfrau ski pass 2022/23 prices back in August it was showing the Top4 season pass as still CHF777. Sadly it's been raised to CHF850, which is a 9.4% increase.
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, indeed, disappointing. The Jungfraubahn seem to have jumped the gun. The explanation in the local paper says it’s owing to increased diesel and electricity prices.

https://www.jungfrauzeitung.ch/artikel/203864/
ski holidays
@telford_mike, thanks for that link. At least the normal ski pass prices haven't increased since when I looked in August. I won't be having a Top4 season pass this season, just one trip to Wengen immediately after Xmas with a 9 day senior ski pass costing me CHF446.
snow conditions
I think I'll be buying ours daily given our form and the fact there is no significant saving. Top4 next year maybe depending on how many days we manage this year in total.
ski holidays
@Glosterwolf, the link to the skipass prices is here: https://cdn.jungfrau.ch/Prospekte_und_Broschueren/Price_list_Jungfrau_Ski_Region.pdf

See the Note 1 comment. i.e if you intend to visit the Schilthorn over in Mürren and don't intend to ski down the black run from the top but download to Birg in the cable car then officially the 1 and 2 day ski pass doesn't cover you for the downward journey, skipasses of 3 days or longer do cover you for this.
snow report
@Alastair Pink, In that case I will buy myself a week pass as we planned to hear over that way when we meet up and I can't be sure I'd up for it. Can always get a 3 day for the others midweek if they are lapping it up.
ski holidays
Raven wrote:
I’ve tentatively made a booking for Grindelwald in late January. Wengen seems to get the tick from many on here for being the smaller / more charming option but accommodation options there were more expensive than Grindelwald.

This will my first time skiing or visiting the area.

Not sure what accommodation you are looking for but can highly recommend The Derby Hotel in Grindelwald. Perfectly placed for the train or buses up or down town. Great staff, good food & south facing rooms are a decent size & nicely done out. Bar also cheaper than many others in town.
snow report
I read in the October edition of Fall Line magazine that "there's a new direct train between Zurich airport and Interlaken, giving quicker access to the Jungfrau region". If so then that has the advantage of not having to change platforms at Bern. Madeye-Smiley

I'm flying out to Zurich on 26th Dec with Swiss Airlines, and looking at the SBB website for that date most of the connections still involve at least one change (in Bern), but it does show a direct connection leaving Zurich airport at 12:45 (arriving Interlaken Ost 14:58 ), and with my flight due to arrive at 11:35 hopefully I should be able to make that! Very Happy

On my return day there's a direct train to Zurich airport from Interlaken Ost departing at 11:00 arriving at the airport at 13:14 which is a couple of hours before my flight, so I can make that connection leaving Wengen at 10:12. All very convenient. Very Happy
snow conditions
The concept of "integrated" transport that actually suits the customer is a phenomenon us Brits are not too familiar with @Alastair Pink,
That does sound really good.
snow report
We had a direct service from ZRH to Interlaken all through the 1990s, until someone at SBB decided to stop it. Nice to see it’s back again.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@telford_mike, I'm not sure what route the direct service takes? Did the old direct route go via Bern (without having to change of course)?
ski holidays
@Alastair Pink, Yes the old service used to stop at Bern. There's a new tunnel in Bern that would mean that the train could turn south towards Thun without needing to stop at Bern, but I'm not sure whether the Interlaken service will use it.
snow report
@Alastair Pink, Looks to be one at 14:45 which we should be able to get on. It will save me hauling luggage. We are also flying with Swiss on classic ticket. Still not sure about luggage and if we should bring our own skis or hire. Are there trolleys at all changes or am I looking at dealing with stairs.
ski holidays
@Glosterwolf, if you get the direct train from Zurich airport to Interlaken Ost then the only changes are at Interlaken Ost and Lauterbrunnen. At Interlaken Ost there are both stairs and a ramp and a lift that take you down from the platform you arrive on to an underpass that leads you to a ramp up to the platform for Lauterbrunnen. I have a wheeled hold bag and a wheeled ski bag so I generally just use the ramps at Interlaken Ost, but I believe there are also trolleys available there. At Lauterbrunnen you just walk across to the adjacent platform for Wengen which is at the same level. Madeye-Smiley
snow report
Fear not @Glosterwolf, the Swiss engineer their stations to "help" the passenger.
Most stations will have, at worst a ramp. Many will have lifts.
Lauterbrunnen was re-engineered some years ago, something of a backwater. There are 2 lifts on that station.
Thinking about it, there is a lift at Winteregg........
snow report
Incidentally the new direct service between Zurich airport and Interlaken Ost comes in after the timetable change on 11th December 2022. The train known as IC 81 usually leaves every 2 hours.
snow conditions
telford_mike wrote:
@Alastair Pink, Yes the old service used to stop at Bern. There's a new tunnel in Bern that would mean that the train could turn south towards Thun without needing to stop at Bern, but I'm not sure whether the Interlaken service will use it.

Looking at the details on the SBB website it looks like the new service does have a stop at Bern, with 6 minutes between arriving and departing.
ski holidays
Also possible to book flight and rail ticket in one package.

https://swiss.newsmarket.com/english/press-releases/swiss-and-sbb-add-tourist-destinations-lucerne-and-interlaken-to-their-swiss-air-rail-network/s/d8de175a-2898-4e92-9fcc-339daf52d9ec
ski holidays
@telford_mike, interesting, thanks. snowHead
snow report
Am I correct in thinking that I don't need day saver tickets for the kids and instead you can just buy a 1 month junior travelcard for 30 CHF at the station?
snow conditions
@Glosterwolf, yes. We did this for a 15 year old who stayed with us over the summer.

https://www.sbb.ch/en/help-and-contact/produkte-services/travelcards/other-travelcards/travelcards-for-children.html#anchor2
snow report
@telford_mike, Thanks for confirming that.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy