Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

The view from............ Val d'Isere and the Espace Killy

Poster: A snowHead
Really sorry to hear that Steve - thinking of you and the family.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Steve Angus, Deepest condolences to you and you family.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Steve Angus, condolences to you and your family
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
sad to hear,
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Steve,

Sorry to hear the news, stay strong.

Hope to see you in Val D.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
RIP. Condolences to you and your family Steve
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sorry for your loss Steve.

All the best.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Deepest sympathies Steve .
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Radio Val d'Isere twitter an hour ago. Apparently extended the other end to 8th May to compensate (currently unconfirmed).

Au regard des conditions météorologiques et de l’automne particulièrement doux, l’ouverture du domaine skiable de Tignes – Val d’Isère initialement prévue le 26 novembre est reportée au 3 décembre 2022.
+ d'infos demain matin dans les infos avalines

In view of the weather conditions and the particularly mild autumn, the opening of the Tignes – Val d’Isère ski area, initially scheduled for November 26, has been postponed to December 3, 2022.
more info tomorrow morning in avalines news
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'm so sorry for your loss Steve. Sincere condolences to you and all your family.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Condolences to you and your family Steve. All the best.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Sorry to hear that Steve, thoughts are with you.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
The resort ski lift opening has been put back by a week and the end of the season has also been extended by a week.

The ski lifts will therefore be open from the 3rd of December 2022 until the 6th of May 2023.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
welshflyer wrote:
The resort ski lift opening has been put back by a week and the end of the season has also been extended by a week.

The ski lifts will therefore be open from the 3rd of December 2022 until the 6th of May 2023.

Not much of a compensation for the VDI businesses as most close before the end of April anyway.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I just saw your post from last week Steve - condolences to you and your family.
snow report
Condolences to you and your family Steve
ski holidays
Kenzie wrote:
Little Britain

Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin
snow report
Kenzie wrote:

Not much of a compensation for the VDI businesses as most close before the end of April anyway.

That's entirely their choice. Perhaps it will persuade them to stay open until the lifts shut instead of packing up early and raising two fingers to the seasonnaires who have been supporting them all season. It also does Val no favours reputation-wise to have punters arrive for the last couple of weeks only to find most bars, restaurants and shops closed down. If you want to boast about having the latest lift opening date then you also need a functioning town to support it.
snow report
Dr John wrote:
Kenzie wrote:

That's entirely their choice. Perhaps it will persuade them to stay open until the lifts shut instead of packing up early and raising two fingers to the seasonnaires who have been supporting them all season. It also does Val no favours reputation-wise to have punters arrive for the last couple of weeks only to find most bars, restaurants and shops closed down. If you want to boast about having the latest lift opening date then you also need a functioning town to support it.

They close due to economics - it just doesn't make financial sense to remain open. Ditto for UK tour operators. Ditto for the lift company. No 'two fingers' to the seasonnaires - most of them will have gone home by then, too.
ski holidays
@Kenzie, not sure which seasonnaires you're referring to, certainly not the ones I know.
latest report
Dr John wrote:
@Kenzie, not sure which seasonnaires you're referring to, certainly not the ones I know.

Those working for UK TOs who have finished taking guests for the season.
snow report
Like I said, not the seasonnaires I know
latest report
@Steve Angus, Sorry to hear about your Mum, hope your OK as can be at this time
latest report
Been away last week and just seen your post Steve. My thoughts are with you all.
snow report
So sorry to hear your sad news, Steve. Thinking of you and your family. X
snow report
Has the La Daille webcam from the official Val d'isere website been stolen?

Personally I thought it was one of the most useful webcams because it showed the snow conditons at resort height. There are webcams which are in very remote locations which I don't find as informative.

Where is this :-

https://www.valdisere.com/webcam/vallon-du-prariond/
ski holidays
I've just seen your post too Steve, many condolences to you all.
ski holidays
@welshflyer, I was looking for that, perhaps they don't want us to see it. I suspect it's a bit scratchy down there.

I think your link shows the webcam on the Prariond Refuge, the Gorges du Malpasset is down that cleft. 99% of Val visitors will never see that view!
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Definitely not scratchy down in La Daille
This is from Friday and a lot more artificial snow has been made since along with what fell yesterday about 10cm on our balcony before we left yesterday.
Lots of touring from La Daille on Saturday and Sunday when the piste bashers weren’t working.

latest report
@muppet, Thanks Muppet. Some of the beginner pistes in Lavachet are showing as thin on the website so I assumed 200m lower wouldn't be great.
snow report
@muppet, @chocksaway, I was one of those tourers on Saturday. Correct it's not scratchy, but by heavens it was an unpleasant ski below FD. Big rock hard ridges, piles of stiff artificial snow to negotiate and crusty powder down low. We declined to repeat the experience on Sunday.
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
@welshflyer, I was looking for that, perhaps they don't want us to see it. I suspect it's a bit scratchy down there.

I think your link shows the webcam on the Prariond Refuge, the Gorges du Malpasset is down that cleft. 99% of Val visitors will never see that view!

And most of those who do see the view regret it. wink
latest report
Quote:
And most of those who do see the view regret it.
Lovely walk in summer though - even if slightly exposed in a couple of places.
ski holidays
@Kenzie, Or an expensive ride in a chopper!
latest report
chocksaway wrote:
@Kenzie, Or an expensive ride in a chopper!

Aye, some people just don't think of their carbon footprint. Or just don't think.
ski holidays
https://www.ledauphine.com/savoie/2019/01/30/39-skieurs-evacues-par-helicoptere

...for any who are confused by the references!
snow report
@Kenzie,

What a useful webcam. It is enticing skiers down the Gorges du Malpasset simply to be trapped because the only way out is when the river has been covered by an avalanche. I remember when that large number of skiers had to be helicoptered out. I've only skied down there two or three times with qualified local guides who knew we could get out. I'd rather see the view at the bottom of La Daille.

The ski run I would like to ski is over the back of the Col D'Iseran to Bonneval which necessitates a heli ride back to Val d'isere.
snow report
Quote:
The ski run I would like to ski is over the back of the Col D'Iseran to Bonneval which necessitates a heli ride back to Val d'isere
The taxi option (inc Frejus Tunnel cost) might not be much cheaper! Laughing

Skinning back up could always be an option wink

ski holidays
@mountainaddict,

As you say a taxi from Bonneval to Val d'isere is probably not much cheaper than the helicopter cost if split between 4 people. The taxi driver according to your road route would have to drive 430 km driving for 6 hr 20 min (for his return journey).

I would make sure I skied it when the weather forecast was for blue skies & sunshine and the heli flight would be spectacular! It would be more spectacular than my flight over Snowdon earlier this year. I need to find 3 others to share the cost of a mountain guide & helicopter.
ski holidays
welshflyer wrote:
@Kenzie,

What a useful webcam. It is enticing skiers down the Gorges du Malpasset simply to be trapped because the only way out is when the river has been covered by an avalanche. I remember when that large number of skiers had to be helicoptered out. I've only skied down there two or three times with qualified local guides who knew we could get out. I'd rather see the view at the bottom of La Daille.

The ski run I would like to ski is over the back of the Col D'Iseran to Bonneval which necessitates a heli ride back to Val d'isere.

A certain Steve Angus has run this trip in the past.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy