Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Exercise advice/encouragment needed

Poster: A snowHead
I joined a new gym at the start of the year (well transferred membership from one near work to one near home so i stood more chance of going) and i had a health assessment there 4 weeks ago. Now i know they are not doctors but i figure they know more than me. I was told that i was obese Sad i knew i was overweight but not to that extent. So i set about doing something about it. I put in place all their dietry tips so have cut down on red meat increased grains, fruit and veg (food has always been my downfall and i did eat rubbish and too much before this wake up call) and am eating much more healthily. I have reduced my calorie intake to between 1000 and 1500 a day and i am exercising more . . . so how long shoud it be before i see and effect?

After 2 weeks of the regime i hadnt lost any weight but i was only exercising 4 time a week (2 sessions of 45 mins during the week and 2 sessions of 2 hours at the weekend) so for the last 2 weeks i have kept the same diet and increased the exercise to 1hour on tuesdays, 2 hours on both sat and sun plus a long walk (8miles or so) and 45mins minimum everyday. And i still havent lost any weight whatsoever!!!! What am i doing wrong, i'm eating massively less and exercising more than ever, am i expecting to see the effects too soon? I have noticed my jeans are a little easier to fasten and my hair and nails are in much better condition but thats it.

When i go to the gym i use the treadmill for about 30mins alternating between walking and running on a 5%incline, then 10 mins on the cross trainer (at level 5) and the rest of the time i do stretching/pilates on the matts. Am i not pushing myself enough? I get a little stiffness the next day but nothing major, should i expect to be painfully stiff after a session for it to be doing me any good?
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well done for taking some action, now you need to commit, in your head, to making this part of your life for ever - you know that already I guess

As you start exercise you are probably gaining (heavy) muscle and losing (lighter) fat, and so while you will be getting healthier, you're not getting lighter in absolute terms. A couple of tips for what they're worth...

1. The watched pot never boils. Don't be sweating your weight on a daily basis - have a weigh in every 3 months
2. Take every third or fourth day off - recovery plays a vital role... I suggest 4 time a week is plenty and will help you a) make each session count and b) have a social life too!
3. As you get more confident and feel at home in the gym try adding in some resistance machines. Girls are scared that will get muscley - you won't, it'll just use your bodies joints and muscles as they were meant to be used and in ways that our modern lives not provide.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
red 27, thanx for that. . . i think the commitment has been made, being a size 12 i never imagined i was obese i just thought i was rounder than i wanted to be, the shock of being told it straight has certainly made me make changes in my lifestyle. I think the healthier eating thing is sustainable too, i've found some fantastic recipe books that have helped with portion control and healthier versions of the stuff i already like/can fit in around my life etc so although i have cut back drastically i'm not feeling deprived or starving myself. I get obsessive/competitve about things so finding the right balance is important to me, if i'm not careful and sensible about how i approach this i could easily go over the top with it.

I've weighed myself every 2 weeks so far, i'll leave off this for a while now then. To be honest weight doenst mean much to me, its wriggling into clothes that will be the best measure i suppose. I have done some resistance machines, mainly on the legs as i'm off skiing again in a couple of weeks, and i have a meeting with my well being advisor next week to put in place a fitness program on the machines so that'll help. Thanks for the support though . . .

One thing i know from all this though is the answer to the thread "can fat people ski" that was running on here a little while back . . . yes we can Smile (but i suspect i'll be better for this new regime Smile )
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
snobunni, I agree with red 27. You're probably already changing shape (which you probably want, irrespective of weight loss). Your metabolic rate takes a while to spin up after you start an exercise regime - if you keep it up, weight will probably start to come off soon.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
snobunni,
Quote:

being a size 12 i never imagined i was obese

what....how can a size 12 be obese? Are you very, very short or is your personal trainer some kind of skinny facist?

As the others have said...don't let the numbers take over....go on how your clothes fit and how you feel....in the meantime I'm going off for a mutter about the obsession for stick thin women.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
snobunni, I am a size 10/12 and I definitely wouldn't consider myself obese ! Shocked

Are you stretching off after exercising ? . . . as this is really important to stop all the aches and pains you seem to be getting.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Measure, don't weigh. If you're not losing weight and your calorific values are close to accurate you're probably turning into an athlete.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
snowlamb, I'm 5'2'' , bmi of 30 and weigh 74kg - according to their calculations . . . but sat here now in new size 12 trousers from monsoon and a size 12 fitted top from warehouse . . . apparently i carry the weight on my torso so i'm apple shaped and thats bad aspparently
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I don't think I'd trust someone who claimed size 12 was obese (unless you're about 4' 6" tall) Shocked

I opened this thread as I too need a kick up the backside. Last season for the first time I didn't lose weight over the ski season, even though we skied 50% more days than usual. I also put on about 5kg over the summer and even with the advent of this year's season I'm gaining weight not losing it. I made a special effort to eat more healthily over the summer, only had fruit in the house (as I find I need to eat little and often) yet I gained weight. I'm beginning to despair at the weight gain (even though I think I probably look solid rather than fat) and the only thing really left to me is to increase the physical activity - any bright ideas? Or is age just catching up with me?
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
snobunni, I share the reaction of IncogSkiSno and snowlamb. What's your BMI? I am size 12, average height, and my BMI is well within the normal sector (weight a little over 10 stone last time I looked, though I'd prefer it to be a bit less).

However, whatever your weight, if you have been eating as few calories as that for so long, and not losing weight, it does seem a bit odd. You are not actually doing much aerobic exercise (Pilates and stretching is all good stuff but not as significant for weight loss as bouncing round a bit - maybe you could do something like a Step class, or salsa?).

Are you really sure about that calorie count? No biscuits, cakes, fizzy drinks etc?. I have a genuinely obese sister in law - poor thing, she lives surrounded by diet mags and watches diet programmes till 2 am in the morning but her capacity to kid herself about what she's eating is endless. She's also a sucker for "low fat" yogurts and similar products, which are invariably full of sugar.

My own weakness is for French cheese, preferably with frightfully healthy crackers covered in butter. Embarassed In fact, I think I'll go and have some right now. With some salad, natch. wink
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snobunni, You are the same proportions and BMI as MrsS, though she is taller and heavier, and also officially "apple shaped". When exercising to avoid putting on weight she has to be very careful not to build muscle, where I would trim down, she bulks up. She has to ensure that she does mainly aerobic exercise - step aerobics etc, and also circuit training as long as it involves lots of running around. If she does resistance training with weights anything other than the smallest weight and she will build muscle bulk. If you can get into it running is also very good at burning lots of calories and will trim almost anyone down.
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
snobunni, I'm 5'10" and 76kg.

I think clothing sizes are changing. I recently bought clothes in "Small" from Fat Face, Berghaus, Next and Snow & Rock. They all fit me properly.
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
snobunni, sorry, hadn't seen that you'd put the BMI. I can't make these numbers add up. At my height (5'5") I would have to weigh 13 stone to have a BMI of 30 (which is where "obese" kicks in). And at 13 stone there is absolutely no prospect whatever that I'd get into fitting clothes in a size 12. Some of my size 12s are a trifle snug at the moment. Embarassed
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snobunni, well done to you for joining a gym and working so hard to reach your goals. I don't know much about this stuff but I would imagine if you are starting to feel better in yourself it's definitely having a positive effect...

I'm not a gym person but people may remember a thread a few months back when I wanted some advice on getting fitter for skiing. Technically I think I'm overweight (174cm, 76kg) but for me it was more about being a bit fitter and not losing weight. It's all a bit complicated due to health issues but I have been going swimming pretty much every weekend (can't wait for the new pool at Heanor, the old one is so scummy!) and doing pilates and/or dancing at home 3 or 4 times a week for about 30 mins or so. I've definitely not lost any weight but I have noticed a difference with my general flexibility and my fibro aches and pains seem to have been less severe. Whether this will translate into being able to keep up with a group of skiers or not remains to be seen, but I'm not going to push myself on that score anyway...

I bet you'll notice a significant difference when you hit the slopes in Jackson Hole chick... Very Happy
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
pam w, Shop sizes do vary and Monsoon stuff does come up pretty big, I'd be in size 10 for most of their stuff Confused

snobunni, yes the weight around the tum is bad, and that is where I carry mine. I think you really need to be very honest about your weight, dress size, exercise and eating habits if you really want to lose the weight. For example, you may well be in a size 12, but I've seen many ladies who are clearly wearing a size too small for them, and everything is hanging out - which is not attractive, and actually makes them look even bigger.

Diets don't work IMV, you really need to change your lifestyle and eat whole foods, no processed crap, meals in packets, no diet foods and no junk - keep active and be honest with yourself. Very Happy
latest report
Resistance is good if not better for weight loss. I find interval running really good for it too - something about metabolism blah blah
snow conditions
snobunni, you are not obese... just. Your BMI is 29.83 (>30 is obese).

For those who don't know how to calculate it, BMI = Weight (kg) divided by (height (metres) squared) - in snobunni's case this is 74/1.575x1.575.

From a cardiovascular risk point of view, central obesity (apple) is worse than if the fat is more spread (pear). Waist:hip ratio is also a good marker of risk.

snobunni, don't fret about the lack of weight loss, just sustain your changes (and keep gradually increasing the exercise intensity) and it will come.
snow conditions
snobunni, in a very similar position,similar height and weight, and having same difficulties.
latest report
Nick L, actually it's 74 / (1.575 * 1.575) ...
snow report
snobunni, When your motivation dips a bit, which is inevitable, be patient and accept the highs and lows.

Also bear in mind all the other benifits of being fit, regardless of shape, BMI and all that stuff. These things tend to work in a virtuous circle and I think are primarily influenced by the various hormones that your body produces during and after exercise

More Energy
More Confidence
Happier
More Chilled
Sleep Better
More energy.... etc
Very Happy
snow conditions
red 27, spot on ! For various reasons I've not been running for a month and went out today for the first time and it was so good. Very Happy

Excuses are easy, motivation is damned hard . . . harder than the actual exercise Confused
snow report
snobunni, firstly don't be over worried about your BMI it's only a guide, it's taken me almost 2 years to loose about 40Kg and yes I really was seriously (Morbidly?) Obese now I'm still classed as Obese but I'm a lot fitter.

A few things I've learnt in the meantime

Calories are less important than you think, they're a great guide but don't eat to little, if you are doing lots of exercise you need to feed the body otherwise you will start loosing muscle as well as fat make sure that whilst you watch the calories you also have a well balanced diet, the body does actually need some fat,carbs,protien etc.

Cardio is great for weight loss but only if it's gentle cardio, a 5kph walk up a steep treadmill will burn more calories than a 10kph jog on the flat and you will get a noticeable effect, good exercises for weight loss seem to include cycling, walking and rowing try doing 10 - 15 mins of each one after the other at the gym but keep the pace steady and even ideally a pulse rate of arround 120bpm seems to work well for weight loss

Swimming is also great so long as you swim for at least 20 mins continuously better 1/2 an hour or more if you can

Don't just do cardio, use light weights to tone the body otherwise as you loose the fat the skin won't tighten up you don't really want to build great big muscles but improving the tone of your muscles will help your overall fitness, increase your metabolism (supposedly) and make you feel better in yourself

I do on average 3-4 sessions each week for between 1 and 2 hours at a time, I also try to watch what I'm eating (though I do love chocolate Embarassed ) Plenty of protien lots of veg and a few carbs and some fibre works for me
snow report
Agreed. I really drag myself to the swimming pool on a Saturday morning. Not only that it's a mile uphill walk too. But once I'm there I really enjoy it and walk home (downhill!) afterwards doesn't feel like a chore at all...

I think it's just the going out and doing it, I don't have any problem with exercising at home. So clearly I need a swimming pool at home. Snigger...
snow conditions
Did 62 lengths yesterday. Toofy Grin
ski holidays
Are you drinking a lot more than before the diet? If so you might be losing fat but gaining a higher (and probably more healthy) body water content. There is also the possibility that you are simultaneously gaining muscle mass and burning away fat. Keep at it and you should see a longer term benefit along with a decrease in your weight and BMI.
latest report
laundryman wrote:
Did 62 lengths yesterday. Toofy Grin

What size is the pool ........

table? Wink Toofy Grin
snow conditions
20m. wink
snow report
Thanks everyone

I'm keeping a diary of eveything i eat/drink and have cut out all the rubbish (lunches are my major downfall, its just so easy to grab something processed and in the evening although i was eating fairly healthy food i was eating too much of it, my portion size is now much smaller). Since starting this a month ago i have had precisely 4 nights where i have had any alcohol, and not to excess there either, just drinking water the rest of the time, no snacks other than raw carrot, mange tout or apples, i'm cooking eveything exactly to recipe, weighing all the ingredients not just guessing so i think i'm pretty accurate on the food side of things.

Until an injury a while ago i was very active/muscular from cylcing and horseriding (long distance cycling and classical dressage not just pootling about) might this have some bearing on my weight relative to my size/shape? The guy at the gym was surprised by my weight compared to my appearance at the time.

I've never had to lose weight before so was just getting disheartened at all the work i was doing (not just in the gym but the meal planning, careful shopping, cooking when tired after a long day and just want something instant, making lunches to take to work etc) and not seeing a tangible result on the scales reading. . .

queen bodecia, doing pilates at home? Do you want to try one of Rachels classes down at the Bridge centre, its every tuesday 7.30 - 8.30?
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
snobunni,
Well done for making the change, getting started is half the battle. You are doing loads of exercise and doing the right thing with food so I'm also of the opinion that you probably are losing fat but replacing it with muscle. How your clothes feel are a fantastic guide. Try to keep your goals realistic and substainable, change for life...though make sure you do have treats. With all that exercise you might soon find yourself much hungrier as your metabolism speeds up. Make sure you have lots of healthy easy prepare snacks around (I used to always have a cold roast chicken in the fridge and rip some off to tide me over till my next meal, maybe have a pot of homemade low fat pasta salad made up or ryvitas and low fat soft cheese). Well done and good luck.
snow report
laundryman, is that your own? Pool, that is.
snow report
pam w, 'fraid not - it's at the local gym. We had the back garden remodelled several years ago. I've been in serious trouble with the kids ever since - for choosing a croquet lawn over a swimming pool. That's Oxbridge types for you. wink
ski holidays
snobunni wrote:

After 2 weeks of the regime i hadnt lost any weight but i was only exercising 4 time a week (2 sessions of 45 mins during the week and 2 sessions of 2 hours at the weekend) so for the last 2 weeks i have kept the same diet and increased the exercise to 1hour on tuesdays, 2 hours on both sat and sun plus a long walk (8miles or so) and 45mins minimum everyday. And i still havent lost any weight whatsoever!!!! What am i doing wrong, i'm eating massively less and exercising more than ever, am i expecting to see the effects too soon? I have noticed my jeans are a little easier to fasten and my hair and nails are in much better condition but thats it.

A pound of fat IS 3500 kilocalories or thereabouts. Say you're torching it at 700kcal/hr. That's 5 hours of moderate intensity workout (without eating) to burn one pound of fat. Madeye-Smiley If you had been noticing any significant weight loss after 2 weeks of the regime you posted I'd say it was ALL dehydration.

Quote:

When i go to the gym i use the treadmill for about 30mins alternating between walking and running on a 5%incline, then 10 mins on the cross trainer (at level 5) and the rest of the time i do stretching/pilates on the matts. Am i not pushing myself enough? I get a little stiffness the next day but nothing major, should i expect to be painfully stiff after a session for it to be doing me any good?

Do the -least- amount that is needed to provide training effect, i.e. better performance in the future.
ski holidays
Hi Snobunni,

If you are not losing weight (which you should be, as 4 weeks isn't really long enough to say it's because it's turning to muscle), are you sure that
you are actually eating enough food??

It might sound strange, but if you drop your calorie intake too much too quickly, your body starts to protect itself, and to do this it slows
your metabolism down because your feeding it less, meaning that you are burning calories slower than you were before. This is why so many people
who YO-YO diet, put on not only the weight they lost when dieting, but normally more.

It sounds like from your cycling and horseriding, that you must have had pretty good muscle definition before, and the more muscle you have the quicker
your metabolism is anyway, meaning you would have needed a decent amount of calories just to keep your weight stable (unless of course you were eating loads.
If for example you have dropped from 3,000 calories (not huge if you are getting loads of exercise) to just 1,000 calories, this could be why your not seeing
the weight loss you would expect.

You should try and combine weights with cardio, without worrying about getting too muscly. This is very unlikely to happen without having to lift quite heavy weights and do high reps, to look anything other than toned.

Bikergirl Cool
snow report
I would suggest going to a personal trainer. I used to go to the gym and spend 1-2hrs there and never really noticed any difference. I went to a trainer and he only ever gets me to do 30 mins of cardio, mostly some sort of interval training, then some sit-ups and some upper body weights so no more than 45-60 mins in total and I totally noticed the difference. Now the 30 mins of cardio I do are HARD, I am out of breath and sweaty and the benefit is I also go to the gym more often as I think "well its only 30 mins" and it seems really lazy to try and skive out of that. I would also say ignore the BMI, at my thinnest I am just in the healthy range and most health care people who have weighed me have done so, worked out my BMI then ignored it.
latest report
laundryman wrote:
pam w, 'fraid not - it's at the local gym. We had the back garden remodelled several years ago. I've been in serious trouble with the kids ever since - for choosing a croquet lawn over a swimming pool. That's Oxbridge types for you. wink

Mad
latest report
snobunni, I've spent half my life on a diet, I'm on one now funnily enough wink and I have found that after I hit forty the weight just seems to take ages to shift. I find running the best thing to speed my metabolism. Very Happy
latest report
Quote:

a croquet lawn over a swimming pool

good choice. What's the use of a garden pool in the UK? My OH is a dab hand at croquet. I played a few times, always lost ignominiously, one time after my ball sped unerringly to the cut glass of gin and tonic which another player (one of the "Wedgewoods of Wedgewood") had put down on the grass, thinking nobody could be so daft. Being terribly posh, he was very nice about the length of time it took us all to pick the shards out of the lawn, and no doubt put it down to my deprived grammar-school upbringing. Where I came from, croquet was something you became when you had a cold.
ski holidays
snobunni wrote:

queen bodecia, doing pilates at home? Do you want to try one of Rachels classes down at the Bridge centre, its every tuesday 7.30 - 8.30?

Hey, I'd give that a go. I didn't realise there was anywhere else around here other than Heanor leisure centre (where is the Bridge centre btw?). I warn you, I'm not very good at pilates. I attempt each move but some are more successful than others! Very Happy
snow report
My brother is 5'10" and over 17 stone. But he is also a keen mountain biker and road cyclist and can blast the Coed Y Brenin black trails for hours. Very good stamina and fitness but he is a typical rugby player build and he finds it difficult to lose weight. It is coming off gradually though as he has lost a stone and a half over the past couple of years.
snow conditions
Quote:

I attempt each move but some are more successful than others!

I found Pilates was something that really needs a good teacher - on your own you're unlikely to do it properly. I went to a very good one (who was also a fully qualified physio) for a while, but sometime later tried on at the local leisure centre. Nice girl, but absolutely clueless. She did it to music, and zipped through some quite advanced moves way too quickly. I was the only person who had done it before, and afterwards she apologised to me, and said she'd speed it up the following week. I didn't bother to go back.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy