Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Training & Fitness?

Poster: A snowHead
Ok so normally i do nothing before the season im starting to get pretty unfit due to the lack of exercise and to much Beer drinking Very Happy

What does everyone do to get themselves in shape for the season ?

Im seriously considering a treadmill, rowing machine or an exercise bike at the moment Little Angel

Cant Wait.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
There's lots of free treadmill-like surfaces outside. Use those.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Go to the gym - use all three. Cool
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Mountain Biking, gives me a buzz on the desents...gives me a wake up call (of how unfit I am) on the climbs!

Decent entry level bike £150-£200, quite technical bike (hydrolic disc brakes, upgraded gears, etc) £300-£450!

Otherwise you've got the classic push ups, sit-ups, squat thrusts, run up and down the stairs type circiut training. Would'nt spend the money on a gym myself but it suits some people!
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Work on aerobic stuff first build a good base fitness and burn off the beer and chip retention. All the stuff you mentioned works for this but it takes up loads of space in your house and is boring as hell. Go for a run outside buy a real bike (and use it), swim its more fun so you'll be more likely to stick with it. If not join a gym at least when you get pissed off with it you house wont be full of shoite exercise machienes. You will also have the use of strength training equipment and access to personal trainers. Strength training is to be recommended especially closer to the season and you could start changing your aerobic exercise for more intense interval training. Gyms also have classes which can push you harder on the less motivated days and make sure you do stuff right. Spin classes are a superb way of doing interval training. There is plenty of eye candy in Gyms too just dont fly off the treadmill whilst ogling Embarassed

Many you can pay monthly so if your not using it you wont make a big dent in the beer fund.

Dont forget stretching yes its boring but Warren Smith found faults in my skiing as a result of crap flexibility I'm 32 and had the same range of motion as guys twice my age GRRRRR Embarassed Twisted Evil (I exercise hard and didn't stretch which makes flexibility worse).

Now turn off the computer and go out and play Toofy Grin
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
real snowboarders don't get in shape for the season - they just increase the food/beer ratio Twisted Evil
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
DebbiDoesSnow wrote:
real snowboarders don't get in shape for the season - they just increase the food/beer ratio Twisted Evil

and buy bigger boards to maintain the float factor Very Happy
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
RPF, you got it Laughing
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
+1 for 'do nothing'.

As long as the gut isn't so enormous that you can't see your back binding when doing it up after getting off a lift, that's all that matters.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
manicpb wrote:
Mountain Biking, gives me a buzz on the desents...gives me a wake up call (of how unfit I am) on the climbs!

Decent entry level bike £150-£200, quite technical bike (hydrolic disc brakes, upgraded gears, etc) £300-£450!

I started mountain biking to keep fit during the summer, now it's my main hobby. It does make skiing/snowboarding look cheap though.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Kramer, Just fell in to that trap too. Money is better when its spent you cant bring it with you when you die. Great for the fitness though so unless I hit a tree that day should be further away Shocked .
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
5000 miles on the bike 450 miles running and 110K metera in the pool should see me quite fit for skiing hopefully
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
heliphil, And all before breakfast? Toofy Grin
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I have started jogging to keep fit from summer and I’m hoping to continue it.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
The only extra thing I do (other than hockey twice a week, run and climb) is squats to improve my leg strength which is by far my weakest link when skiing. I get really naffed off when I go out with my mates who are about as fit as Del Boy but I just can't keep up because my legs are on fire! rolling eyes

Kersh
ski holidays
I have to do the exercise best for my body language and eat the best foods for my health and fitness keeping in my mind.... Have some fun with my friends going to picnic and enjoy a lot of with my good and nice community,........
snow conditions
Triathlon....excellent aerobic workout plus good for core and leg strength. The stretch afterwards....(and after skiing too!)
snow report
manicpb wrote:

More like £400 for a decent entry level hardtail bike (one that can actually take a daily beating off-road) and anything up to around £4K for a top level full susser. But worth every penny regardless Smile
snow report
uktrailmonster wrote:
manicpb wrote:

More like £400 for a decent entry level hardtail bike (one that can actually take a daily beating off-road) and anything up to around £4K for a top level full susser. But worth every penny regardless Smile

Firstly thats almost a two year old post your quoting me on! wink

And your right...ish, just had search to challange you and the lowest budget bike I'd actually recommend is prob:

GT Aggressor 3.0@£299

or

GT Agressor 2.0@329 (prob nock him down to £300!)

Surprises me a little 'cause 5 years ago I bought a GT Avalanche 2.0 for £360 (marked up at £399) which has hydrolic brakes as standard. Neither of the above bikes have them and the current version of the GT Avalanche 3.0 (lower model but better specced, due to age of mine) is £499! I thought as tech aged the prices would come down, obviously wrong!

Still your round about the right money but I belive a good bike can be got for under £400 just depends how good your haggling skills are!
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy