Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Short transfers from Geneva for weekend skiing

Poster: A snowHead
Never done weekend skiing before but as work dictates a whole week is not looking good, I now have the opportunity to tack on a few days after business in Geneva, perhaps end of next week.

Where should I be looking to head? I know Chamonix and Megeve are close, but Chamonix I thought was more for expert skiers (I am only intermediate) and I see Megeve is a bit low and the snow might not be up to much.

Who goes where?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Verbier, 2.5 hours by train. Crans montana about the same. Given conditions at the moment, some of the small resorts in the Jura only half an hour from GVA may be worth looking at.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Conditions round Megeve look pretty good right now.

There's Flaine as well, Portes du Soleil of course. In Switzerland, the small stations are skiing pretty well right now, Leysin etc. It's been snowing today actually and there's more forecast later in the week.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Morzine 1 hour from GVA airport. Lovely town and easy access to snow, including Avoriaz in James Bond cable carthat holds 70ish people. I'll be there in 12 sleeps.
www.skimorzine.com will book rooms for you, they are based in Esher, very helpful. Rep in resort too.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ian, I am trying to bring up your web link, but it keeps saying page not found. Tried the normal search way as well and still no joy! I have to shoot off now, but will keep trying, maybe it's just a blip. I've found the Morzine website though and will look through that in detail.

Looked into trains for Verbier as well. That's another good option.

Thanks for this. She shall go to the snow! snowHead
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Beverly, snow in Megeve should be good at the moment, Chamonix is not just for experts, there's good skiing at Le Tour at the head of the valley and Les Houches at the other end. Even Argentiere is not all break your neck territory. St Gervais should be on your list, it links into Megeve and it's a pleasant old village. For links go to www.gva.ch and click through to public transportation, it lists the bus routes through to all the French ski stations. Portes de Soleil resorts in France and Switzerland are well placed from Geneva as well.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Beverley - how intermediate are you? TBH, Chamonix is probably only really a no-no for beginners. If you're happy on greens and occasional venturing onto blues, you'll be fine. There is loads of advanced terrain, but as with most resorts, a large percentage of slopes are still blue.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Beverley, it works now.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Beverley, I agree with Ian Bloomfield: Morzine is close to Geneva, better skiing than altitude would imply, and a lively town. Linked to lots of other resorts.
But Geneva is not the only airport to consider: Turin gives access to Courmayeur, La Thuile and Montegenevre in 1 to 1.5 hours.. First 2 I know and recommend; Montegenevre has good snow record and friends rave about it.
This site http://www.chaletsdirect.com/weekends.htm has links to a number of companies that organise weekend trips.
Also try http://www.momentum.uk.com/weekends.html. They looked after us very well in Courmayeur last weekend. (That's a beer you owe me, Ben)
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I second Portes de soleil and I prefer Morzine to Avoriaz to stay in.

Also consider austrian resorts from Munich. I travelled to Fieberbrunn for a long weekend (Stanstead - Gatwick with easyjet) flight times were excellent 18.30 out 21.30 back. ABout 1.5 hours from resort. I travelled with snowscape who picked us up from the airport very smooth. Just check the snow first as it is a little low but that said they seem to have had loads so far this year. Gareth at snowscape was very helpful.
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thanks for all this. I will be stuck with Geneva (or possibly Zurich as business dictates this). I like the look of Morzine (Ian thanks, I have been looking at skimorzine site and also the official website). The trains to Verbier are good as well. Let's hope something can be squeezed in. Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Jonpim - can you tell me more about your weekend in Courmayeur? What days and times were your flights, and from which airport? I'm considering doing a weekend with Momentum, so would appriciate your comments. Many thanks.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Champery (Portes de Soleil) is handy for Geneva.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
only 11 more sleeps for me.......yeeeehaaaaaa NehNeh
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Beverley, rent a car for flexability and speed.

Geneva; Les Gets, Morzine, Megeve, Morzine, Avoriaz, Chamonix, Villars & Verbier.

Zurich; Flims, Klosters, Wengen, Davos, Lenzerheide, St Anton am Alberg & St Moritz.

Book everything yourelf on t'internet, it's cheaper.
ski holidays
xyzpaul, 12 of us flew out with Ben (Momentum chappie) on Thursday from Heathrow Air Italia 17.50 to Milan (not the nearest airport, but what Momentum uses). 2 hour transfer, arriving about 23.20. Dumped bags at Hotel Bouton d'Or and dashed round to pizza place Ben had organised by phone during transfer. Excellent pizza and wine. Hotel lovely. Courmayeur lovely too: very chique but friendly. Great bars and restaurants. Tempting shops. Lots of gorgeous elegant women. Skied Courmayeur on-piste Friday, La thuile Saturday and Courmyeur off-piste Sunday. Back in hotel by 1500 for shower and change, bus for airport at 1600. Tickets for 20.30 flight, but got on flight an hour earlier. Back home by 23.00, tired but happy. We all had a great time, and considering we had hoped to do the Vallee Blanche, but couldn't due to bad weather (low cloud), then that is a result. We plan to return next year to try for the Vallee Blanche again, with Momentum and Ben. Note: food on Air Italia is crap. Eat before you get on the plane.
snow conditions
Nick wrote:

Is it ? It's certainly not entirely unreasonable but it's not that handy for Geneva, it's not even the closet station in the Portes du Soleil, Morzine or Les Gets would be half that distance. Maybe Champery has something else to recommend it ?
snow report
Ah, Champéry. Had everything to recommend it some 30 years ago! Hitch-hiking through France, picked up by a lady on her way to her ski apartment. Never been skiing, never seen so much as a mountain higher than Ben Nevis. Offered accommodation for a few days. Didn't go skiing once, but oh, the memories. Wink
ski holidays
Cheers Jonpim.
latest report
Couple of additions to marc's list:

Geneva: Flaine, La Clusaz and Les Contamines are all within an hour (ish)

Zurich: Grindlewald, Engelberg and Andermatt (though Andermatt is more suited to advanced/off-piste skiing) are within a couple of hours
snow conditions
ise wrote:
Nick wrote:

Is it ? It's certainly not entirely unreasonable but it's not that handy for Geneva, it's not even the closet station in the Portes du Soleil, Morzine or Les Gets would be half that distance. Maybe Champery has something else to recommend it ?

So, thanks to PG we now know what the something else is, women of easy virtue Very Happy
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy