Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

FITNESS,

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all, has anybody got anygood tips for excercises to target ski muscle groups that can be done at home with minimal equipment. Thanks.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Well not exactly at home but cycling is very effective, at home maybe squats and perhaps some sort of exercise that twists the body, oh and running up and down the stairs probably helps wink
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Work on that "core". Plenty of situps and all the variations that go with them.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I second the cycling suggestion. I started doing about 100 miles/week in September, and the difference was very noticeable when skiing in Feb.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
cards on the table.... my 1st sport is cycling, road and MTB..... from late April to December I ride at least 4 or 5 times a week and cover a couple of hundred miles..

However, early in the season I have comparatively little strength in my legs when compared to the end of the season.

Therefore in my oppinion whilst cycling is great and overall will improve your fitness and put you ahead of those who do nothing for 51 weeks of the year I remain unconvinced that it actually helps massively to target the skiing muscles.

What I do see a lot of Pisteurs and ski instructors do during the summer is roller-blading up the mountain with poles... very much like cross country skiing.......
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
That sounds a wee bit camp for me, I have pictures of 80's neon lycra in my head! I'm gonna hit the streets running and cycling and try to work the core as much as poss. My general fitness is pretty good just want to up it a tad to give myself a little extra when I'm out there.
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
On a point related to fitness, I am currently laid up with a broken femur (no pot on it but plenty of metal inside) and am already a bit daunted by the slow return to mobility and fitness - not that I was spectacularly fit in the first place! Any top tips re the approach to take to getting mobile again and what to focus on? The aim is (obviously) to hit the start of next winter with reasonable fitness and strength to get out on the slopes.

If you want to read the rather pathetic story behind the break you'll find it here!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
ctskifam, Broken femur, that's serious, you should get professional help from a physiotherapist.
For me the only way to keep motivated, is doing things I enjoy anyway, hillwalking and cycling.
One aspect of skiing fitness often overlooked is acclimatisation to altitude, which you can't train for in the uk.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
jbob, I am seeing a local NHS physio but the guidance is pretty limited. Maybe I need to accept that I ought to put my hand in my pocket and do some work with a private physio.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
ctskifam, I've just read your blog............ I know I shouldn't but I cried with laughter.... great blog!!

I'd suggest a sports physio...they're more used to helping in this type of situation than bog standard physios.

A friend had a hip replacement... he was in his 60s but still a good club cylclist... the hospital physio was saying "no riding for 6 months".... the sports physion had him on a turbo within weeks and back on the road within 6 weeks......... 3 months later the b*****d beat me in a 25mile TT!!!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
marcellus, thanks - I think that's what I need; bit of a push from someone used to dealing with more active injured folk. I'll get on the case. Glad you enjoyed the blog!
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Another friend broke his shin (not sure of real name) for it mid Jan last season..... pins/plates etc etc etc... he was back riding his MTB by the summer and skiing this season...
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
MJS wrote:
Hi all, has anybody got anygood tips for excercises to target ski muscle groups that can be done at home with minimal equipment. Thanks.

I am a fan of balance board. It improves your balance and coordination and (I am told) also does something technical for ski muscles. Mine cost me £1. You take the deck off an old skateboard and you balance it on a 2L bottle of coke on a carpeted floor. (Disclaimer: Balance board is only effective if part of a balanced exercise program. Consult your personal physician before participating in strenuous activity).
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
ctskifam wrote:
On a point related to fitness, I am currently laid up with a broken femur (no pot on it but plenty of metal inside) and am already a bit daunted by the slow return to mobility and fitness - not that I was spectacularly fit in the first place! Any top tips re the approach to take to getting mobile again and what to focus on? The aim is (obviously) to hit the start of next winter with reasonable fitness and strength to get out on the slopes.

If you want to read the rather pathetic story behind the break you'll find it here!

I broke my femur skiing many years ago

I did about 3 months of physio, bending the leg, pulling myself around a polished floor sat on a towel, leg raises etc etc

Basically get a physio and do what they say!

regards,

Greg
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski, ooooohhh, nice displacement! Makes me feel like I got off lightly...
ski holidays
ctskifam wrote:
kitenski, ooooohhh, nice displacement! Makes me feel like I got off lightly...

well if it makes you feel any better I went skiing a year later Smile
snow conditions
penster, That balance board sounds good, think I might make me one of those. Bit more interesting than just sit ups etc. The risk of wipeout greatly ups the enjoyment of any activity Madeye-Smiley
snow report
MJS wrote:
penster, That balance board sounds good, think I might make me one of those. Bit more interesting than just sit ups etc. The risk of wipeout greatly ups the enjoyment of any activity Madeye-Smiley

The hard bit is getting it initially balanced. Start on a carpeted floor where you can rest your hands easily on something about waist height for balance. I also find that, if you concentrate on flexing your ankles (rather than your knees and hips), it moves you into the right position.
Mick
ski holidays
I skied for 6 days in January and felt tired every day but no particularly sore bits, yet on Monday I did about 4 hours of skiing at MK, including 2 race runs and I've been struggling with really sore calves. I didn't have any instruction so it wasn't as if I was skiing differently, just perhaps faster turns.
I'll def be doing some heel raises off a step to try to combat future stiffness.
snow report
Oh well after my efforts to step up the fitness I'm ogg to the docs in half an hour to get my back looked at! Just keeps seizing up every time I go running. The lovely girlfriend had a look at me last night and apparantley my right shoulder has dropped about 2 iches compares to the left one and the rhs of my back at the bottom looks like it's pulling everything round with it! 2 weeks til I ski Confused
latest report
My husband swears by step ups (stepping onto an ordinary kitchen chair and down again), he does them for about 30 minutes continously...bores the living snot our of me though!! I swear by Tae-bo's lower body workout, which involves many squats.

Either way, we both skiied top to bottom on the black runs at Whistler without any stops....and no thigh burn!! Yey!!
snow report
get wii fit!
snow report
MJS, Hope you got a physio referral! Shocked
latest report
them balance boards are lethal, mine's tucked away in the shed rolling eyes Laughing
snow conditions
MJS, Sounds like you need a Chiropracter
ski holidays
ctskifam wrote:
marcellus, thanks - I think that's what I need; bit of a push from someone used to dealing with more active injured folk. I'll get on the case. Glad you enjoyed the blog!

ctskifam, sorry to hear about the injury. I knackered my knee and broke my lower leg three and half years ago.

After my knee op, I was referred to the same hospital's physio department where I encountered the lardiest physio you're ever likely to encounter. I have no truck with anyone who doesn't want to exercise. Except when they start giving me exercise advice. According to him, the two sports I enjoy most - skiing and running - in his eyes are both "stupid" and way too risky on the body. "I'm not sure if you'll ever really be able to run on that knee again."

A few phone calls found my a physio of skied and ran. "If you do what I tell you, to the letter, you'll be running inside of four months and skiing by the start of the season". She was as good as her word.

It makes a huge difference dealing with someone who loves the sports you love and understands why and that you want to do them again.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy