Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Val Thorens

Poster: A snowHead
At last some fresh snow to refresh the open pistes and at least make the place look like a ski resort Very Happy . Light snow last night and continuous light snow this afternoon. More is forecast….
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
More snow today - pistes much improved this afternoon.

Something wrong with my new skis (Dynastar SkiCross 10 170's, if you're interested). The ones I tried made a scaping noise all the time - these ones make a light squeaking noise. Shome mistake, shurely?
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I noticed looking at their site that many of the runs were 'closed', is this normal at this resort? is this normal for all resorts? and what exactly does 'closed' mean?
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mbwest, Most resorts are not yet fully open due to a lack of snow closed runs are usually because they have no snow on them in some cases when there has been heavy snow in may be due to avalanche risk or as today in Val d'Isere because of high winds.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Alastair, they just need some oil.
That, or you've got mice. snowHead
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Still snowing... mbwest, most of the runs are indeed still closed - but I expect they'll start opening them pretty soon now. The ones that are open are those they could create with artificial snow.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Trois Vallees links opened yesterday - more seems to be opening each day.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
VT OK, needing snow. Meribel icy. Courchevel good - nice cruising over at 1650.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Can anyone tell me if anywhere in Val Thorens has a WiFi access point or any other way I can use my laptop there?
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
arcticfox, Yes there's definitely Wi-fi access point at the internet cafe in the main Tourist Information office. It was down due to technical problems when I was there in March but it must be working by now! I plugged my laptop straight in with a LAN cable - take one with you it you have it just in case.

There are several other internet cafes around town but on those I think you can only connect using their PC's
snow conditions
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnnyrotten, Thanks very much.

Can't even get away from work on a New Year break unfortunately.
Mad
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Looks like it is getting better. What percentage of runs are usually open at Thorens? Just booked a holiday there for the 15th, can i see a forecast anywhere?
Also, when they are closed are you totally not allowed down them or just advised not too?
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Any forecasts?
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
This just in from Alastair.

Conditions in the 3V are so-so at the moment, with more snow badly needed - many of the VT and Meribel pistes are quite rocky at the moment, with some spectacular ice in Meribel yesterday. Courchevel was a bit better last week but I haven't been over there recently.

It's snowing at the moment, but the forecast is for more sun.....
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Will be going out to valthorens 8th jan hope there will be some good snow out there by then Very Happy was out in valdisere befor christmas had great time ..
snow conditions
pistenbully, Welcome to snowHeads snowHead

We went to VT Easter 2004, fantastic conditions, and we're going back this Easter (2005).
snow conditions
Heading out to Val T next week, and have become paranoid/neurotic/obsessesed with the snow situation. Regular updates here will be very much appreciated, and will certainly save my sanity(what little remains!). Many thanks for any posts!
Puzzled
ski holidays
Hi Mark2010, welcome to snowHead snowHeads! snowHead

No sign of any change over the coming days I'm afraid, predominently sunny weather forecast for the next seven days as well ... Confused
snow conditions
HI Mark may be i will see you on the piste valthorens .looks like we will need our sunnys and plenty or sun cream if what p g says is right . Let us no if you see any flakes PG Laughing
IAN thankyou for the welcome snowHead .
latest report
Hey PG, thanks for the update. Keeping fingers crossed that snow will arrive in large quantities soon!
ski holidays
CAN ANY ONE TELL ME THE BEST APREIS SKI WITH A BITTA MUSIC IN VALTHORENS OUT THERE 9TH . TA. snowHead
snow conditions
Frog and Roastbeef, highest pub in Europe.
latest report
Thanks dave will deffinately check that 1 out ..
ski holidays
Still sunny today. Some good snow around, but many pistes rather rocky. I didn't pick a good time to buy new skis...... Sad
snow report
May see you out there alister ..setting off 1 30 am sat .eta about 6 30 pm valthorens ..
snow report
Sorry spelt that wrong ALASTAIR snowHead
snow conditions
Still sunny - but still some good snow to be found in places.
ski holidays
I see snow is forecast from Wednesday night, hopefully that will 'pep' things up a bit!
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I found Val Thoren condition quite nice relative to the rest of the Tarentaise. The Orelle side was a bit stony but the pistes were not crowded at all in the first week of January. Therefore the snow condition was better than the rest because there were less skiers to wear down the runs.
snow conditions
There's reasonable sking to be found in Val T as ever but it's not up to its usual standard.
The Cime de Caron, a favourite of mine, has both its black runs closed and the red run diverts half way, down long traverse across the front of the mountain to the lower part of the Combe de Caron piste.

Again, it's the higher altitude runs that are in the worst condition. Runs to St. Martin are all open though have a lot of loose stones on them.

Best skiing on the lower slopes.
ski holidays
admin,

I have never managed to get the fact right. Does St Martin form part of Val Thoren?

The ski pass seems to divide Les Menuires (which includes St Martin) from Val Thoren or is 3 Vallees operating 4 areas individually this year? The 2005 ski map of Val Thoren does not include Les Menuires, let alone St Martin. It hasn't got any part of the rest of 3 Vallees.

I am also interested to know how feasible for an average skier to cover the 3 Vallees and what would be the strategic place to base on. My current guess is Meribel Mottaret.

I parked my car in Le Praz to cover the whole of Courchevel and Meribel to cover the linked area between Courchevel with Meribel and Les Menuires. For Val Thoren I had to drive to first chairlift station inside Val Thoren. To me it is day run to ski from St Martin to Orelle and back.

I am sure one can start esarly from Courchevel 1650 and go to the end of Orelle and back in a day but that would beyond the ability of an average skier, would it not?
ski holidays
saikee, it is possible to buy separate lift passes for each of Courchevel / Meribel / Les M / Val T areas if you wanted to, they are separate lift companies. The St Martin lifts are part of the Les Menuires area. On the St Martin side of the map (the Belleville valley) you have options for a LesM only pass, a VT-only pass, a 3V pass, or a 'Belleville valley' pass that covers VT and LesM (attractive for LesM skiers who want access to VT).

Meribel Mottaret would be the best strategic base to strike out anywhere quickly in the 3V.

Going from Courchevel to VT and back in the day could be done very comfortably by an intermediate skier without pushing too hard. The limiting factor is the time on lifts and queues at Meribel and Motarret links, more than the skiing distance.
latest report
I only paid the 41 Euro for a 3 Vallees ski pass if I intend to ski more than one area. Any of the four areas will last me a whole day. Thus I drove to a point where I can comfortably cover the runs I want and pay only the cheapest pass possible.

I agree the lifts and the queues (especially at Motarret) would severely limiting the distance travelled as I lost the wife there once in the crowd. Now she wouldn't go anywhere without a super-strong (5 miles range) walkie talkie.
snow report
Well i have just got back from v thorens skied nearly everything that was open from oreele to courchevel 1650 .some runs a bit dodgy ,though the 3 / 4 ins snow we had wendsday night did help.but they realy need lots more especialy with that srong sunshine. not much forcast so i was told yesterday ... snowHead
snow report
Shocked pistenbully, looked more like somewhere between 1 and 2 centimetres to me in Menuires on Friday! There's some hope for next week though, Wednesdayish...
ski holidays
P G
There was 2" on the balcony of the hotel i was staying in (on thurs morning ) and more than that at the top of the col chair lift .whatever the amount you sure need a lot more out there Cool , hopefully coming befor my next skitrip. snowHead
ski holidays
Off to VT on the 29th, i dont suppose someone could give me an idea as to what the prices are like for things such as Food, Drink or a meal out???

Also is it worthwhile getting walkie talkies? Do they work ok in VT?
latest report
Hi icecubez, and a very warm welcome to SnowHeads. I think you will find us a well informed and helpful community!

Val T is at the more expensive end of things and you can expect to pay up to €8 for a beer in some places. There is a nice little hut at the top of the Col chair where you could get a sausage in a bun for around €5 last year. Its quite a bit cheaper down the hill at Les Menuires. People that know it better than me can give you some hints. Jonpim recommends the Frog and Roastbeef for beers, but cheap it aint.
snow report
Cheers Chris, il make sure i take enough euros.

Is there any places people could recommend for abit of fun in the evening or any nightlife?
snow report
HI icecubez.
Was in the frog roast beef last week amstel bier 5 euros .happy hour 4 . the old guy behind the bar was a bit misserable though.i did see a cheap place to eat by the skidoos (skifood ) 5 euros burger chips and a drink . there are also plenty of fast food places in the main complex.loads of bars to visit . i took walki talki .they work ok if in same valley. hope this helps..
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy