Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Snow-sure in Europe, in April ? Suggestions please...

Poster: A snowHead
Looking for somewhere snow-sure, preferably within Europe, for around early-mid April.

Not too bothered where it is, but want somewhere with a fair length and variety of terrain/piste - covered all of the Davos area, several times over, in 6 days, so smaller resorts are going to be of limited attraction. If possible, somewhere that doesn't have too many of those tracks with steep drops off the side ! No limits re. blacks, reds moguls etc.

On-piste more important than off-piste !

Suggestions ?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
We're going to Val Thorens April 10th, not tried it before, but figured if there wasn't snow at VT then there wouldn't be snow anywhere!
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Tignes a pretty safe bet for late season as well. I've only been in April once (around 12th I think) and it was pretty good. The locals reckoned it was their worst year in 15 years as well. But then, they always seem to think that!!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Alan, Just about all of the Tarentaise, I've skied in Val d'Isere in May and last year we could ski back to the village of La Rosiere with about 60 cms of snow at village level, 1850 metres on the 27th April. Courcheval is also usually good I've skied there very late, provided you go high you shouldn't have a problem. Check out the historical snow records on the SCGB site, that should give you some pointers.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
There might be a 13' dump in Chatel!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
austin7, great you are still skiing at 81 years old. I have been skiing Easters since 1992. I 've tried Nendaz (4x), Verbier (1x), Belle Plagne (5x), Val Thorens (1x). Belle Plagne never let us down, even in the dodgey year of 2002. We went to VT last Easter and enjoyed the change. Going again this year. Big ski area - VT enough for a week, but also opportunity to ski Meribel and Courchevel. Few narrow tracks with cliffs on one side (all can be avoided). Lots of lovely red runs, black runs and bumps.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Snow sure in Europe? I know of 3 places within driving distance:
Milton Keynes
Tamworth
Castleford
snowHead
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Cervinia's pretty high, and there's late season glacier skiing in Swiss, at the top. Don't know how sure it is, but it's worth a look.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Kaprun in Austria has a glacier and excellent late season snow. Obertauren in Austria is very high altitude and challanging runs..... its great and you wont get bored.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Val d'Isere (village) is at 1850m. We had good snow last April (third week). And you'll feel at home because half of England will be there. Not that that was a problem, mind you.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Cheers- some great suggestions, all good food for thought.

Was considering Tux, but really wanted somewhere I'd not been before.
VT sounds good, as does Belle Plagne.

Going to hve to check some of these out - sounds like a few of us are considering VT - you never know, might be an opportunity for a meetup & beer or 3. Madeye-Smiley

jonpim, funny, but I made it 82 ! good to find a fellow wheels and skis man ! Mine are 75 and 76 this year Smile
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Yes Austin7, come to Val-T. I've already got a large beer set up for Ian Hopkinson; I think I can afford another one. But I'm afraid I'm not really a wheels man. I consulted the oracle (Google) to find when you were born (I got 1922 from http://www.drivingtoday.com/carstuff/greatest_cars/austin7/, but then forgot we were in 2004 not 2003 - I'll wake up one day). I wouldn't dare tell you what I drive (only 10 yeas old and Japanese - sorry). My other silly passion is vinyl.
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I've been having a look at possibilities for Easter and having seen what is going I think the situation is probably this (Comments welcome/appreciated)
1. Val T snow sure but v popular. Long transfer.
2, Val D ever reliable, plenty of availability
3. Zermatt pricey but nice. Scattered skiing.
4. Les Gets (might be too low)
5. Austrian Glaciers. Austria is nice, but dull if there is only glacier skiing available.
6 Les Arcs or Alp d'Huez - I know nothing about these places, but they seem to be available.

I'd welcome any advice or comments.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
I've mentioned Cervinia before, but it's cheaper than Zermatt and gives (limited by time/distance) access to Zermatt. The town's above 2000m, so the rest *should* be fine. Check the snow reports though.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Thanks skanky, but I've been there and, though I liked the place, I fancy somewhere new if I do get away with Easter.
latest report
Obertauren
Obergurgl
High villages pretty snow secure.
See where the snow is and book last minute.
snow report
would rule out les gets, far too low for easter, and nowhere high nearby to escape to either,great place for earlier in the season though.
snow conditions
Chris Bish wrote:
Thanks skanky, but I've been there and, though I liked the place, I fancy somewhere new if I do get away with Easter.

Fair enough. Smile I did see that Yakutsk has a very long season. Shocked Only three lifts though. Sad
latest report
I think there is some pretty good heli-skiing there, Mostly in Mi-8 gunships.
snow report
Planning to go there one summer. I'll look out for any fliers (pardon the pun).
snow report
Chris B: Val T (and Val D) only have long transfers if you plane it. Train it instead: 1 hour transfer, and get 2 extra days skiing.

Les Arcs/La Plagne (now Paradiski) fine. (Take the train).
Alp d'Huez largely south facing, so could be dodgey come Easter. (only been there at Christmas).
snow conditions
Jonpim, train's only a n option really if you live in London. the travel to London for most of the country negates and advantage of the snowtrain
snow conditions
Good point NBT. Chris Bish is in Staffordshire (and possible snowed in just now). So it's the plane. Worth noting though that the transfer to most of CB's shortlisted resorts are more or less the same: Les Arcs, La Plagne, Val Thorens, Zermat. Any one would do.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Fri 27-02-04 15:51; edited 1 time in total
snow report
Someone suggested Kaprun. It's too small and easy for someone who wants varied "fair length and variety of terrain/piste". The only interesting bits are off-piste, e.g. skiing between the anti-avalanche fences.
snow report
Thanks Cedric, but that's not my idea of a good time! I frequently scare myself on reds and off piste is not my cup of vin chaud. I'm still at the Km-hungry intermediate plateau stage (I flatter myself, maybe). Not a flake left here by the way. Sun all the way.

Snowtrain and self drive both have the disadvantage Jonpim, mentioned. I suppose tour operator is my best bet.... if I can get the scheme past the management.
snow report
Was at Arcs/Plagne at xmas - (arc 1600). Really easy transfer - 5minutes walk and a furnicular !

Like the idea of VT/D, have happy advantage of being south of Brum and on an easy link to LDN and the snow-train Smile .....

....which is great if you manage to get a seat - availabilty can be limited as it fills up fast. Time to get the skiguide out Smile

jonpim - pride of my vinyl goes to both an original, mint, complete Glastonbury Faire - the one released to fund the first festival, and a Hawkind 'Warrior' on the fold-out shield cover Exclamation
snow conditions
message to chris bish..... then I highly recommend Kaprun to you. Thats my level too and the reds didnt scare me at all. The red from the main piste back to the gondola level is fantastic if challenging - my hubby insists its a tricky blue. Its not miles and miles of piste, but a wide resort with various runs ranging from black and moguls to easy blues. The final red/blue at the end of the day is fun with a pint waiting for you at the bottom.
ski holidays
Austin, don't bother with the snowtrain, get the eurosatr to paris and then the service de nuit. You can do it for £99.00. And while you're checking those prices check out La Rosiere. Great snow in April usually it's high at 1850 metres and sunny plus the linkto Italy gives it a different dimension. Have alook at our website www.tracksvactions.com or email me for full details.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Does anybody know how low the snowline is on average in early april in les Arcs while we're on the subject of easter skiing.
We're staying in Arc2000 so i realise the skiing up there will be okay. It would just be nice to get some tree runs in lower down. The cable car over to la Plagne is really low. Wondering if that might shut later in the year?
snow report
David -thanks for that; you might want to edit the link so it works - vacAtions mis-spelt !
snow report
When we were in Les ARcs 2 years ago in early April, the snow line was about 1400 meters, could ski to everywhere except Villaroger, and the snow wasn't too deep then either, as it had been a bad season. The lower slopes were very slushy after lunch though, and upper slopes very icy first thing.
snow conditions
Thanks Helen, I'm convinced! Just booked Les Arcs.

What is this going to cost me with the management??

Move over dog!
ski holidays
That about sums it up Helen, same for us last Easter. There was late snow though and when they shut the resort early May they could easily have stayed open for a while longer. True though, the slushy runs back to resort aren't everyone's cup of tea. One of the worst accidents I've seen was a really nasty fracture caused by inattention on a fast run back down to resort (Les Orres S. France) from high up. It was late season, an ESF club trainer too, taking the club racers back down. The change in conditions from ice/crust high up to slush at resort level is really something to watch out for, and dangerous if you're not concentrating. It cost her a couple of seasons and she was never the same skier again.
snow conditions
Thanks for the info Helen, I'm looking forward to skiing early morning.
Love it when the pistes are hard and fast like that. I always have a nightmare in slush though. Can't ski that stuff well at all... Sad
ski holidays
Slightly off-topic - but have found the only effective way to deal with slush is to transfer weight onto the back of the skis and 'surf' through it.

Iglu.com has some fair deals for April10 departure at V'D and V'T.
latest report
MarkP: snowline should be fine. I have been in La Plagne at Easter for the last 6 years. Every year we could get down to Les Coches (below Vanois Express), even in 2002. Most years can get down Montchavin (1250m).

David@traxvax: agree about snowtrain. This is just a charter train full of package poeple. Very lively. Fine if you go in a group (as I did in January), but not fun for the lone traveller. I doubt the ordinary punter can get on.
latest report
Jonpim, in Montalbert the other week someone from the village mentioned they had no problem getting back down right to the end of the season last year. And that's around 1300m I think.
snow report
I'm sure you are right PG. (and Montalbert is at 1300). I just don't know that end of La Plagne so well.
Both Montalbert and Motchavin have webcams. They are very useful for monitoring snow conditions. The Montchavin camera http://www.montchavin-lescoches.com/Image/panoramique/webcam.htm looks right across the valley to show the snow level.
snow report
Thanks Jonpim, hadn't seen that webcam before. Les Arcs could learn a thing to two from Montchavin - their webcams, especially the ones at altitude, are very average in comparison. What's more they've been out of action all season until a week or so back. Apparently, without naming names, it was a national French telecoms company that was responsible. Not surprised, they'd had a monopoly for ages until recently. They've been absolutely useless whenever I've needed them...
ski holidays
Good to know telecoms are the same the world over...
The runs down to Montchavin and Montalbert are very pretty indeed. Its good to know they'll be open caus then i can take the ladies in the group I'm going with.
They like nothing better than a pretty wooded run with a hot chocolate at the end of it.
And i can leave them there while me and the boys go play properly.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy