Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Banff Snow

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Banff Snow
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I take it thats good news Shawn, look after it for me and save me some powder snowHead snowHead
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Shawn Walmsley, is that a busted link ??
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Sorry guys, I,ve just got home and realised the mistake... rolling eyes

A friend in Banff signed me onto the internet and it timed out before I had chance to finish the post. I am too tired now but will let you know what the conditions were like probably tomorrow
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Shawn Walmsley, Cant wait, How long before you go back out there.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Russell, The conditions were very good being so early in the season.

There had been a huge dump of snow just before we arrived which had covered most obstacles. The snow in Sunshine was excellent with no man made snow at all and they were farming snow on goats eye mountain to cover some of the steeper Blacks which still had some rocks showing. Their farming techniques are improving constantly and the drifts that they caught between the snow fences just grew each day. The only icy patches in Sunshine were at the bottom of the ski out and was only for about the last 400 yards down to the car park. Loads of powder at the beginning and as it got skied out they groomed the runs and it was like skiing on soft carpet. Toofy Grin Toofy Grin Toofy Grin

Lake Louise also had good coverage but a lot of man made snow on the front side. The snow tends to blow of the front side over to the back bowls/ptarmigan and Larch area so conditions over the back were much better. So conditions on the front were hard packed,(ocasional patches of ice, but not too bad) at the top, nicenatural snow mid mountain and man made(which can get a little slushy) at the bottom. Puzzled

I didnt go to Norquay so I cant comment, although I spoke to some people who had and their comment was very steep and difficult and mostly man made snow!!!! Sad

It only snowed once in the two weeks that we were there which happend to be on the middle Sunday, we had taken the day off to go to Banff Springs Hotel and in the morning it rained in Banff and by 2pm the temperature had dropped and it was a blizzard.

The Blizzard had caused problems in Sunshine causing them to close early. I was told by a snow host that 100kph winds had dammaged the TeePee chair communication Cable so they stopped the chair and it was then derailled by the wind. Sad Fortunately no one was on it. Then a few days later the Strawberry chair broke down. This chair is a rediculously slow fixed three man chair which is due for replacement. Because it is to be replaced I was told the they are considering not repairing it, but I am not sure if this is rummour or truth. rolling eyes
Hence you will have noticed from the web site that 10/12 chairs are open when previously they had all lifts open.

Lake Louise has also had some changes with their lift system. The Olympic chair was not running but I was not able to find out why Puzzled Friendly Giant Chair is no longer there even though it is still on the maps. It started in the same area as Glacier Express and ended in a similar area but slightly lower and a lot slower so even though it was running last year it was quite unpopular and rarely used.

They have however installed a new lift from the base area to the top of eagle chair. Wheonly snowed once in the two weeks that we were there which happend to be on the middle Sunday, we had taken the day off to go to Banff Springs Hotel and in the morning it rained in Banff and by 2pm the temperature had dropped and it was a blizzard.

The Blizzard had caused problems in Sunshine causing them to close early. I was told by a snow host that 100kph winds had dammaged the TeePee chair communication Cable so they stopped the chair and it was then derailled by the wind. Sad Fortunately no one was on it. Then a few days later the Strawberry chair broke down. This chair is a rediculously slow fixed three man chair which is due for replacement. Because it is to be replaced I was told the they are considering not repairing it, but I am not sure if this is rummour or truth. rolling eyes
Hence you will have noticed from the web site that 10/12 chairs are open when previously they had all lifts open.

Lake Louise has also had some changes with their lift system. The Olympic chair was not running but I was not able to find out why Puzzled Friendly Giant Chair is no longer there even though it is still on the maps. It started in the same area as Glacier Express and ended in a similar area but slightly lower and a lot slower so even though it was running last year it was quite unpopular and rarely used.

They have however installed a new lift from the base area to the top of eagle chair. When we arrived it was just a bit of framework but when we left the housings at the top and bottom were almost finished and the cable was on. the last day I saw the electricians sorting out the wiring and was told that they plan to open the chair in January but couldnt give me an exact date.

Well all in all I had a great time skiing good snow mostly in Sun and people were saying it was almost like spring conditions and cant wait to get back. I have now got all my tickets and fly back out there on Jan 6.

Also Russell I bought a Sunshine Card which are no longer on sale and I have a season pass for Lake Louise, both of which came with discount vouchers for friends/family for things like ski school/lift passes etc, so when I see you some of the vouchers may be useful to you..

So it looks like the snow is there for the season and if they get the big dumps that are usual in Jan/Feb, conditions will be excellent by the time you get there in March
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Oh it sounds very good! I am heading out for a fortnight on the 20th of Jan and will be in LL the 2nd week..... maybe that new lift will be up and running to make things even better Very Happy
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
buns, I hope so too, and judging by the speed things were happening whilst I was there I dont see any reason why it is not finished by mid Jan. If you like we could meet up to ski a few runs or have a drink while you are there. Smile
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Shawn Walmsley, thanks for the info, sounds like conditions should improve and be just about perfect for March snowHead

Keep the snow white and the beers cold and I'll see you in early March for that drink. Very Happy
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hi Guys,

Back in Banff again and just an update on whats happening.

Skiied Lake Louise yesterday and it was a bit nippy. Summit was -25 in the morning and it got colder......They closed the summit button lift at lunch time when it reached -32 and by late afternoon it was -36 Shocked . Snow conditions were good and have improved since december and its still snowing so it can only get better. Skullie

Sunshine today was great with 3cm overnight and 11cm in last three days. Goats Eye had loads of untouched powder cos no local was stupid enough to venture up there rolling eyes We only managed one run on Goats eye and had to get inside to warm up. The rest of the area was great but again we could only get about three or four runs before warming up inside.. There were a bunch of celebs at Sunshine today, including Robin Williams, Michael Douglas, Katherine Zeta Jones, Meg Ryan to name a few but unfortunately we missed them Sad but were standing behind McGuyver(Ithink thats how you spell it) from Stargate whilst he was being interviewed so we may end up on Canadian TV Blush ...Also saw and got on video the Hawiian Tropic girls so that made up for the ones we missed. We couldnt get an accurate temp check in Sunshine but people guessed at between -18 and -35 The only agreement we got from everyone was its EFIN FREEZING Cool

Banff is also flipin cold.. I may need reminding what tarmac and road markings are when I return as I havnt seen either of these since Ive been here. Shocked

Russell, The snow will definately be white. Very Happy .. no chance of anyone trying to make yellow snow through fear of getting frost bite on important parts of the body Madeye-Smiley

Cant remeber who brought up the conversation about smoking but my advice is quit. Sad Places wher you can smoke inside are the Tap and Pump (Loud locals bar), The Aurora (Night club), Banff Springs, Rimrock (bothout of town) Chateau Lake Louise and Mad Trappers at Sunshine. Other than that you have to stand outside in freezing conditions with no outdoor heaters. First you need to defrost the lighter to make it work then your hand starts to go numb, You loose all feeling in your face and by the time youve had half the cig your hand has ceased to work and is stuck in a cigarette holding position.

Going to meet the instructors at Lake Louise tomorow and then the course starts on Monday Smile ..... 44 people om the course and only one broken collar bone so far so i'll let you know what happens

Any way off for a cigarette now and praying I dont get frost bite. Skullie

Speak to you soon
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy