Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Europe / Canada

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Never been to Canada skiing I am tempted to save for next year. For those of you who have experienced both how does it compare to France/Andorra would I need extra warm clothing? Is it worth the extra cost and travel? Puzzled
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Snowbird, yes, definitely, although I will say that it is a different experience. If you plan carefully, it needn't be more expensive, but you might want to stay longer to justify the longer journey. You will need extra layers, it can be seriously cold. We went to Banff in February 2003, it was warmer than usual, but still really cold, and definitely no outside lunches. The downside-if you like a long leisurely lunch, go to Europe. The upside-everyone is so friendly and helpful, the food in the evenings was wonderful, the rooms much more spacious, and there were no lift queues.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
It's definitely worth a trip Snowbird. I would say go in March when the weather's warmer, avoid January when you can get really arctic conditions. We went for the first time in March last year to Banff and just loved it, it was no colder than you would get in Europe. It is a different experience to Europe, not being ski-in ski-out, but the ski bus system is very efficient. Inghams hols to Banff are actually pretty reasonable - 2 weeks in a nice 3-4 star hotel for about £650, but of course you've got food on top. Banff is quite cheap as winter is their low season, Whistler a bit more expensive.

We've now decided on a European ski hols and a Canadidan ski hols each year - suits us fine snowHead snowHead
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Snowbird,
I haven't been to Banff but not all the above comments apply to Whistler. Being near the coast I don't think it is as cold as Banff it certainly wasn't particularly cold either time I have been. The Queueing in Whistler is worse than I have generaly experienced in France.
Great skiing both occasions though with good snow and fantastic terrrain, mountain restaurants unmemorable (at best). Worth going to even if you decide you prefer Europe it is still great skiing. Jet lag is not usually a problem on the way over you will be tired in the evenings but don't underestimete how knackered you will feel for the first few days back.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
T Bar, as you said in another thread Serre CHevalier is your favourite resort, mine too, so much so, that we're buying an apartment in Monetier-les-Bains. Although I enjoyed my trip to Canada, and we are goiing back this seson (Whistler this time though), I definitely thought something was lacking., that certain 'je ne sais quoi', atmospheric restaurants, and even the friendly locals (rare I know in France). We were greeted like long-lost family when we went for ous Summer holiday this year!!! I would also agree with your thoughts on jet-lag, the kids slept till 4 in the afternoon after we got home.!!!! We weren't so lucky, as the dog needed walked!!!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Helen Beaumont,
Sounds great appt buying in Serre Che and skiing in Whistler. I stay at the other end of Serre Che down in Briancon. But like you say I reckon Serre Che is skiing with a human face which is why I go back every year. Very Happy

Have a great time in Whistler it has some wonderful skiing terrain. If you are keen on restaurants the decent ones book out in advance and it can be difficult getting tables but some of them are very good. Toofy Grin
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Helen Beaumont, Can't agree with your comment "definitely no outside lunches", depends on time of year. Spent three easters in Banff/Whistler and always had an outside BBQ burger with a can of beer from a snow-tub. Having said that the last time I was in Banff was over New Year and even then had my outside BBQ most days.
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've skied in Banff 6 times , Panorama and Jasper once. Obviously I really like it. It's cheap, less crowded than Europe, friendlier without being in your face. Banff is a pleasant town in a beautiful situation. The hotels are generally of significantly better quality than European (unless you spend a fortune).

The skiing is different; relatively few lifts (almost all chair) each serving a number of runs (above the tree line, alomos tthe whole mountainside is skiable, usually), which makes it easier to keep mixed ability groups together. There's a bit of Alpine charm defecit, and the food is fairly 'one size fits all', with only a very few exceptions. Ski schools seem to be very good.

Having said all that, last Feb I had my first week long ski hol in Europe for 10 years February, in Val Claret, and it was fantastic. The lift system was much better than anything I'd previously experienced in Europe and the range of skiing is huge, bigger than anywhere I've skied in Canada.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy