Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

What age to start boarding??

Poster: A snowHead
My (nearly) 10 year old son, having recently become addicted to SSX on his playstation, has decided that he wants to learn to board rather than ski with us on our next snow holiday.

Could anyone advise me as to what age you can learn to snowboard? When I enquired at our local dry slope they said he was too young as the boards/boots were too big for him. Is this is a general problem or just down to limited resources at the dry slope?

Also, could anyone tell me whether it would be better for him to board or continue with the skiing? At present he is fairly competent on skis (in the way that kids are) He zooms around over the bumps and is rarely freaked out unless he falls and loses all his equipment. I thought that maybe boarding would be more appealing as you have to carry less and you have more mobility in your boots to walk around, but as for the technical differences I have no idea!
Also, anyone any thoughts on safety issues?? Is boarding safer than skiing??
Thanks!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I read an article, although I can't think where now, which reckoned that it was difficult for kids under 8 to learn as they hadn't developed the necessary balance which boarding required. After that I don't think there is any problem.

When I was in the States in April my niece came snowboarding with us. She is 8 years old and there was no problem hiring stuff to fit her. So your son won't have any problems.

I don't think boarding is any more dangerous than skiing really. A good investment though would be a set of wrist guards* and I'd get a helmet, especially when learning. He'll catch an edge while learning and while it'll probably only happen once or twice you can fall quite badly. I gave myself a nasty bruise on my forehead when I caught an edge, though I was going too fast at the time as well. A helmet will remove that worry though.

* Wrist guards are only necessary if he sticks his arms out to break a fall. Some people do it, some don't. I believe that wrist injuries are just about the most common snowboarding injury though so probably better safe than sorry.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Lager's advice is good, i'll second wrist gaurds and a helmet (can hire) for a young un. I'd also invest in a bum pad for them (a bit of camping mat is also a good idea to protect the coccyx).

Also make sure the boots fit well before going out, try on a few pairs as listen to the fitters. Kids wont want to sit around doing this but it is crucial! Make sure there isn't loads of heel lift, if there is he will really struggle to learn and wont know why.

The biggest safety issue compared to sk=ng is that the board wont come off when he falls, so it takes a while to learn to art of falling "safely".

He will spend time on his back bottom or face in the snow falling over, which will hurt. As long as he has some patience, confidence, balance and a desire to keep going then he'll be fine.............he wont be appearing on his SSX game any time soon............put him in lessons though, don't let him try himself or get a friend to teach. Lot of encouragement will help!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Oh, thought of something else.

When I learned I had lessons, but also tried to get on the slopes to practice what I had been taught for the rest of the time.

We had somebody on our trip last year who had his lessons in the morning and then rested up in the afternoon. To be honest he learned just as quickly as I did and probably made it a lot easier on his body. Once you get your son on the board he might not want to get off it again, but it'd be a good idea for him to have lessons for 1/2 a day then let him relax for the rest of the day if he wants to.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Thanks everyone- this is great advice! My fear is that he expects to pick up boarding really quickly and be out on the runs with us adults in the afternoon showing off his 'tricks'! However, his dad is a lightweight who only skis half a day anyway so perhaps they could go and chill somewhere!!
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Helena, All kids show the adults up every time, don't worry about it, in 10 or so years he will calm down and everyone will be able to keep up snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Helena, I'd echo the comments on wrist guards and bum pad, he should probably be quite a lot lighter than me though - so maybe it won't be quite so painful.

The key problem with making the transition from SSX to real life is over-confidence!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Hi Helena,
I'll be teaching kids this year in Whistler and they take them in group lessons from age 7 onwards in Canada (although they'll teach them privately from age 6).

I had a similar situation last year with my 6 yr old nephew. He had the MXP snowboarding dvd (chimp that can snowboard) and became hooked on the idea of snowboarding himself, despite the fact that he had never skied before. We went out for half a day and my heart was bursting to see how hard he was trying and how desperately he wanted to learn. It was tiring for him but in just that afternoon, we managed all the orientation exercises and then rode a chairlift to the top of the nursery slope. By the time we met his super-proud father at the bottom he was sideslipping confidently and in control. I have since been elevated to Mega-Cool Auntie status and am (apparently) responsible for him being a champion snowboarder when he grows up. Not much pressure then!

It's true that kids do learn snowboarding later because they develop core-body control earlier (allowing them to ski) and extremeties required for snowboarding much later (foot flex control especially) but age 10 is more than old enough. The only real advice I'd give is to make sure you put him in suitable lessons that have an emphasis on fun so that he doesn't get discouraged from having to go back to beginner status again.

Good luck.
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
We just took our whole Cub Scout den to a snow ski lesson place and they did great. it was fun to see the grins when they got the trick of putting the weight on the inside of the outside foot in the skis.

On the snowboard they really do very well once they are big enough to jump and turn half way around so they can switch edges while on the run.

Some of the cub scouts (second grade) (ie. 7 and 8 years) did have carving and edge down in just two 12 minutes turns on the simulators at virtual snow. It was cool to see it.

I personally ski and don't like seeing all those snowboarders on their butts clogging up the ski line entrances. So I really like seeing the training and best efforts to clear a path etc.

To see the kids see http://www.virtualsnowla.com/cub_scouts.htm
They have a photo up.

Good luck and keep your bum dry.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Welcome to snowheads, KeithMDR snowHead

My first experience of snowboarding was painful, but I'd like to do it again (I started aged 34 1/6 years)!
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ian Hopkinson........any news on the 2nd trip yet?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
noooo....moved a bit further away from Castleford and it's term time at the moment so Mrs H is badly tied up Sad
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
what are doing on a discussion board if.....
Quote:

Mrs H is badly tied up
.......to the rescue Wink
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
oh....I was supposed to untie her? rolling eyes
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I assumed it was you who tied her up badly? Wink snowHead Wink
snow report
I think KeithMDR might be able to help you with some worth while knots Wink
snow report
Shocked
ski holidays
.......managed to escape then sharon Wink
snow report
My many knots are all well and good for the fishing and boating uses. Seems you have other needs/desires. Other than tieing up skis to the trailor hitch rack for the trip to Utah last year I really do not get that creative.

We were talking about kids and skiing. not pain and pleasure.
snow conditions
KeithMDR wrote:
We were talking about kids and skiing. not pain and pleasure.
Er, same thing - innit? (Welcome to the Funny Farm KeithMDR)
ski holidays
I'm not too sure how big ten year olds are these days but my one caveat to sticking with skis rather than switching to a board for young people is weight/size related.

I've noticed quite a few children on boards not being able to navigate "schusses" successfully as being light and on small boards they don't get enough speed up and lose speed quickly. This can be a real fag if it then involves along scoot/walk.

Unless Mum or Dad skis and can pull them along.

Otherwise I endorse all the comments above
snow conditions
I would best describe my son's physique as 'Flimsy'- He's like a piece of string so your point about the weight of the board is a good one. On flatter stretches we have a problem with him as I won't let him have poles because I know it will be another piece of equipment I have to carry for him. In the past we have used a 'shunt' technique to get him going again but this might not be so easy with a board!
snow conditions
Helena, take your poles and string them together to give a double length. He grabs one end, you grab the other and skate (double length gives you plenty of room to avoid quantum entanglement).

There is a charge for this service of course Razz

If your skating technique is not up to that come along to the slope and we'll work on it wink
snow report
In France last year I noticed a huge increase in the number of quite small kids (definitely 10 and under) both in organised lessons and learning with family. They seemed fine, and the latter, in particular, having loads of fun. One little chap who looked about 6, with his dad, was even squealing with delight when he fell, and rolling around like a little polar bear. It all seemed more "natural" in a way than the snowplough potty-crouch of the little ones in ski school. I wondered what they'd still have left to learn by the time they were 10. Maybe after mastering boarding by 8 years old they'll decide to ski. As I was a 57 year old beginner my own pace of progress, and my enjoyment of falling over, did not bear comparison. If I was a 10 year old, or a 6 year old, at the moment I would definitely want to board, not ski, especially if my elders and betters were good skiers who couldn't snowboard. Kids who ride skateboards seem to pick it up extremely quickly. But I go with the wristguard and helmet advice - for any rider, not just kids. To go back to the title of this thread. The best age to learn is definitely not 57.
snow report
Hello all. My youngest son is 10 and he started boarding on his birthday May 04. Our local dry slope, Bromley Ski Centre, dont give boarding lessons to kids younger than 13. S o we wnt to Chatham where he has been happily having lessons since then. He has also had a lesson at Milton Keynes.
snow conditions
Helena 10 is not too young to start boarding, younger is actually better (maybe not younger than 8 ) because they have less far to fall, and you fall alot when starting to board. Also, it truly is easier to learn when you are young.
As for safety, snowboarding is slightly more dangerous than skiing, but not hugely so. The main thing is that you can hit your head more easily on snowboard wipeouts. Helmet and wrist guards can be used, but are not necesary.
And with regards to the getting stuck partway on hills thing, that can happen to all boarders if the hill has flat areas that are a bit too long, especially i there is heavy powder. If your son is with a skier (you?), then you can just hold out a pole to him a drag him along behind you (Alan suggests two poles strung together, but I have always found 1 pole to work fine).

Edit: didn't read all of the posts before posting, basically everything I said and much more was already covered. Pretty much all of the advice here is bang on from my point of view.

Edit 2: thanks Cool

Last edited by snowHeads are a friendly bunch. on Sun 5-12-04 7:51; edited 1 time in total
latest report
ponder, you've been hit with the site's mini glitch. Numeral Eight followed by a bracket generates that smiley. If you edit to put a space between 8 and ) it'll be OK. See 8 )
snow report
We (one skier, one boarder) want to take the kids (very athletic 10 and 12) skiing for the first time. They want to learn boarding and so we are trying to decide where to go. I used to teach skiing and agree with most that the likes of St Anton, Chamonix, Verbier, Val D'Isere, Meribel (which would all be my personal choices) are not ideal for beginner kid boarders. We are also trying to go somewhere not too exy. If we go somewhere more kid friendly, ie, not the most exciting skiing for us parents, I'd like it to at least be pretty, with an old village, where you can ski to/from the door or nearby, so if I'm not so excited by the skiing, at least the surroundings will be beautiful. We're thinking Feb but it may end up being Easter. We have been looking at Mayrhofen, Obertauern, Zell Am Zee, Saalbach, maybe Kitzbhuel. So Austria, but would also consider Italy, say, Monterosa, I skied there years ago and can't remember if it is kid friendly? or France if not too ex-y? Anyone care to comment???
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Hired a board for my yougest girl when she was 5, she had side slipping wired in 20 minutes! Shock She's just turned 7 and got a board, boots and bindings last Christmas (but we didn't get to use them last year), we go on Firday night to Valfrejus and I am having to teach her because she is too young for lessons. I think it is all down to the child, even at 5 Ana had very good balance and was able to turn instructions in to actions whereas some 5yo just wouldn't 'get it'.

I am buzzing almost as much about her boarding as about going boarding myself. I think this year we will hire her some skis and boots for anytime we do any serious mileage (unless she continues to progress at the rate she did last time, in which case we'll be watching her do switch 720's in the park Very Happy )

Agree about wrist guards, lid and crash pants, the first 2 being essential.
latest report
My son started skiing at 3 1/2 but first went on a board at 7, then completely rejected skis at 8 and spent all last year (our first year living here) on a board. Now 9 he was really pleased that this year he is not 'forced' to do the 4 ski lessons with his school that he 'had' to do last year!
latest report
Ours, 10 and 12, just really want to board so I think we'll start with that and see how they go, we can always go back to skiing, or maybe Bigfoot, you know, the little skis, no poles, a bit like skating, would be a fun compromise.
snow conditions
Interesting reading.
We're going away next Saturday to AdH (my first ski holiday, the little ones first proper winter hol, but my OH used to go a few times every winter). The little one is 7, when we were booking the holiday I decided that I would have morning ski lessons, and Jnr would go into the kids club lessons - when asked if he wanted to ski or snowboard, he immediately answered snowboard.

Thinking about it now it may not have been the best option, I'll be a new skier wanting to practise when we get together in the afternoons. The OH is an experienced skier, with one day experience of snowboarding! And Jnr will only have his snowboard with two parents unable to help or give him tips if he's struggling.

Now reading this some people are saying that younger kids can struggle snowboarding. He's a big 7 yo (at his school xmas play other parents were asking if he was stood on a bench!), fairly strong and sporty..... but like most kids his age he can get a bit moody/stroppy if things aren't going right.

Any advice on what we should do? either a) to get him going and progress with the snowboard (and help him to keep moving if needed) or b) over the next week try talk him round to the idea of skiing?

Puzzled Very Happy
snow conditions
hammerite, the answer is glaringly obvious. It's your first time - so start snowboarding, so you can practise together. Evil or Very Mad Your son will almost certainly get on faster than you will and it's so cool to be better than your dad/mum. If he's adamant he wants to board I wouldn't try to dissuade him or any little setbacks he has on skis will most definitely be Your Fault.
latest report
Mmmmmmm maybe it is obvious Pam. I dunno though, never really seen myself as a snowboarder (perhaps I just flick through to the extreme sports channel too often and get put off!). The other thing is I've already had a few ski lessons at MK now, got on ok and was put off snowboarding by the amount of time those having lessons spent on their bottoms!

The other thing I need to avoid is damaging my ankles, I've got very weak ankles, broken my ankles and torn my ligaments quite a few times playing football and running, in fact they're only just right (finally able to do my first cross country running race in two years this coming weekend). Plus I have London Marathon to train for in the next few months. Everyone tells me there's more chance of injuring your ankles snowboarding than skiing.
ski holidays
hammerite, yeah, maybe you're not born to it. However, my totally unqualified opinion is that running the London Marathon will do far more damage to your ankles than beginner snowboarding is likely to. And snowboarding is definitely less likely to damage your knees. wink
snow report
Your unqualified opinion about running is right and something beginners need to be careful with, but my ankles, shins and knees are used to the pounding - it's side ways movement they don't like!

It'll be my last marathon anyway - got the triathlon bug now so a bit less pounding, more floating and pedalling!
ski holidays
I strongly agree on letting them board and not forcing them to ski. As a skier non boarder (I kused to teach skiers) I can still teach them mountain safety/ etiquette (stop on side not the middle, look uphill before you ski, remember uphill skier/boarder has right of way, ski in one corridor of fall line rather than traverse from side to side and hog the whole run, turn up the hill to stop, etc), set the pace and the route, but all that is much harder I guess if you are a beginner skier yourself. Maybe just do laps of the same easy run, but not absolutely together but so you all know where each other is. Kids don't seem to mind doing the same run over and over. They can always find/build jumps, find fun ways through the trees. But all that won't be happening for the first couple of days until you are all mobile, can stop, links turns and catch lifts....
snow report
Quote:

stop on side not the middle

not been doing too well on that one then, have you? wink
ski holidays
hammerite, is your lad a skateboarder. They seem to take to boarding in a trice.
latest report
Thanks Sophia, I'm not a skier, but the OH is very experienced so she will be able to guide him through those types of things. She has also done one day of snowboarding, so knows a tiny amount.

Pam - no he's not really a skateboarder, he's into his bike and scooter instead.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy