Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

La Grave

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
I'm off to La Grave 26th Feb for a long weekend, using Snowlegend guiding service. Any hints or tips.
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Steve, I've only just seen your post so it's a bit late now! I'd be intereted to hear your report as I live in Grenoble so can access La Grave easily for a w/e. I haven't made it up there yet but intend to before the end of the season.

My skiing work colleagues rave about it for the quality of skiing and beautiful surroundings. I hope you get / had good snow and weather...
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Steve - I hope you're having a great time right now on the slopes. When you get back, can you give us some details including price? I'm really interested.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Dave and Cedric,

I'm back! Waaaaahay. I have just had the best skiing experience of my life!

Fantastic terrain, really demanding skiing, couloirs, steeps, glaciers, (when was the last time you put a climbing harness on to go skiing?) icy bump runs through trees, fresh powder yesterday one week after the last snow (if you know where to go) . Stunning, stunning mountain enviroment. Tiny village, hard core, no night life after 10 - if you're still awake you're not skiing hard enough.

Physically it's massively demanding, there's 2,150M of vertical and to ski it all in one go leaves you absolutely drained. You need to be a strong advanced skier with a fair bit of off piste experience and you must be physically fit.

GET A GUIDE. GET A GUIDE. GET A GUIDE.

It is easy to get confused, there are no pistes, negligble markings, no safety ropes, no ski patrol, it is a pure mountain environment. But they take safety very seriously, everyone carrys avalanche packs and transceivers even when risk is as low as 2. They pride themselves on knowing their limits and abilities and adjusting their routes and skiing to that. If the visibility went while you were up there and you were unguided you would be in real trouble.

We put our own travel and accomodation together and were guuided by Didi and his mates (www.snowlegend.com) and they were fantastic. 70€ per day gives you guiding in groups of 5-6, skis (B2,B3 Scratch BCs in great condition) ava pack, transceiver, harness, helmet. Days pass 30€.

This really is the true essence of skiing. You, the mountain and your ability. Forget the flash bars, nightclubs, fancy ski gear shops get back to how it's really meant to be.

A final word of warning, it will spoil you forever, every where else will feel like a compromise.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Ah but when you live in Grenoble who cares?

Great report Steve and glad you had an awesome time - I was thinking about you as I was skiing in powder above the Sarenne gorge in Alpe d'Huez under clear blue skies on Saturday.

I'll defintely have to get a guide and give it a go. Sounds like you'll be back... Thanks!
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks a lot Steve...gives me something to look forward to, if not this season, then maybe next! (I need a couple of these before I put together enough money for heliskiing).

Well done!
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
One reason to be in La Grave in a month's time is the Derby de la Meije. 2150 of freeriding, performed by 1,000 competitors.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
All I skied last time was powder, couloirs, and trees; overrated place, you can see why I'm not going back there again! Do try Jean-Yves Hubaud, UIAGM guide, 260 euros/day the last time I checked his website. Top guide- checked the fall of one our party down Freaux couloir last year.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
David I heard about that from a couple of colleagues at work and was planning to go, as it sounds awesome. However I'll be in Flaine over the period repping for the Ski Club - doh!
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Pleased you had such a good time, La Grave, is on my must do list, although sounds like I'd better do it sooner rather than later or spend some time in the gym.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy