Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

40th Birthday resort

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
This is a tough one. I've drunk a lot of wine sitting at the kitchen table looking over snow reports and brochures trying to work it out. Only Snowheads can save me now.

It's my wife's 40th birthday (yet she looks so young...) and we are organising a big trip for about 45 people for a weeks skiing. The criteria are:
- we're all in one place (chalet/chalet hotel/hotel)
- childcare for kids aged 2-8
- we want to go at Easter (so high I guess)
- we want some sort of night life so parties can escape for beers
- good varied skiing, but no beginners in the group (other than kids)

We've looked at les Arcs (Hotrel Cachette under advice from DG), C 1850 (too much fur?), St Anton (bit low?) and Chamonix. RTotally undecided and getting that glazed look now.

So, where should we go?
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
michael stocking, what was the Eldorador Hotel in Belle Plagne met all the criteria except for much nightlife but there are a few bars in the village. Ski In Ski Out. ESF assembly points very close to the hotel.
However, it has now become a Mercure hotel and I'm not sure if it will still do the kiddy club, which was pretty much French speaking anyway.
Beware that some T.O. web sites and brochures have not caught up with the change of ownership and probably name. And the single rooms with no supplements have gone.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Michael, are you thinking of this season? Might be a bit late to get 45 in one location. You could try Ski Olympic, they have a number of large chalets/hotels around the most popular Alpine resorts. I would recommend La Rosiere 1850, fits all the criteria you outlined, very snow-sure and usually sunny at Easter. The only hotel in La Rosiere large enough to accomodate your group is the Ruitor, you can fnd details via www.larosiere.net and click through hotels.

Last edited by Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see? on Mon 20-09-04 12:04; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
David@traxvax, no amazingly we're planning for 2006. Normally next week is my planning horizon. Thanks for recommendations.
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
michael stocking, I had one of those this year! snowHead I wanted to go somewhere special and 'away from it all' so we went to Banff - first time to N America. I had a really great time as there's so much to do apart from skiing. But I realise getting 45 people over there might be a bit much. It's not that expensive though as winter is their low season. We had a good hotel, 4 star-ish, for about £650 for the fortnight (of course that doesn't include food though...). And a long way to go for say 10 days....
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
It's a "mixed income" group so we want to keep the price sensible, and, with kids, the journey time down. Banff sounds excellent value though. Plus a couple of families have 4 kids Shocked so any per person price rapidly escalates. It's their own fault mind you. Coming round to Tignes, Belle Plagne, maybe Rosiere or even C1650. So that's narrowed it down then...
snow conditions
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
michael stocking, another possibility for BP is Les Balcons which confusingly is both a hotel and a 'chalet residence' in adjacent blocks. Their own web site is not working in English but here's some info on the hotel from igluski
It has a small pool and a sauna which some of your party might like.
Transfers from Geneva about 3 hours (using a Tour Op) and 2 if you are lucky from Chambery. Or 1/2 hour from Aime (by snowtrain).
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've stayed in the "chalet residence" bit of Les Balcons last March. Each bedroom has a whirlpool bath en-suite which was great. Except there was no hot water by 5.30pm! Latecomers had to wait till after dinner but it was great to bubble away the aches and pains Laughing The chalets were Neilson and were very good, excellent food last year but cooks might have changed. Ski in, ski out too. I'd recommend the chalets. The hotel looked OK too. And La Plagne has some lovely intermediate skiing.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
maggi, thanks for the 1st hand info. Inghams also use them, or at least did last year. Michael - the igluski link I posted said it had space for 15 but that's only for their TO. It's a much bigger place than that shared by several ops. Maitre Kanter in the hotel side is one of the better pubs in BP so you're on the spot of an evening. Don't know about child care facilities there though.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I'll send off some emails - looks promising. Hot water is normally good though. Mind you, if I don't tell anyone else, and sneak back early...
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ski Olympic have a newly built chalet (olivier) in La Rosiere thats sleeps 42. It is supposed to be very nice. Im sure they can shoehorn some extra kids in. We went through them this your to Courchevel 1650 and felt we got superb value. Not sure on night life or chilcare though.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Olivier is a super chalet and there's a new piano bar (Barclays) downstairs, great location too, right in the village centre. I've a feeling it might be booked up already but worth a try. There are a couple of new mega-chalets being built for next season that Olympic have leased and they could have available space. Childcare not too much of a problem, there's a kindergarten in the village and until you experienced a Karaoke night in Arpins Bar you haven't lived.
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I emailed Ski Olympic re childcare and chalet sizes yesterday but no reply yet. Good value is always, umm, good. La Rosiere might be edging it then. Just as I'd started to look at Zermatt (as I recall DG's favourite resort).
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
michael stocking, Give them a ring, I dont their e mail is looked at as often as it should be. I dealt with a lady called Shelagh (i think thats as the staff excellent, and the food was the best winter fodder in my living memory
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy