Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Sestriere in Jan

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Can anyone give me some info on the above? Is it relatively snowsure in Jan? Do you know any good apartments, (we want to do our own thing so contacts would be great). Is it really only 2 hours from Turin? Do you know of the best way to get from Turin to the resort, (best not necessarily cheapest)?
All help and info will be appreciated.
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Michael B, not sure about Sestiere but Sauze is only 1 hour for Turin and very simple. As it's in the same area it could be 1 hour or 3 hours..........sorry.

It's quite a quiet area to stay in. Great sliding to be had over there and we headed over there from Sauze most days. I think this year the beginning of the month was not too great, but i think that was the same Europe over?? Try ski club or iglu for historical snow reports.....here you go...... or CLICK HERE
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
AA Route Planner says that Sestriere is 1hr 11mins from Turin....they're usually pretty much on the mark....looks like a pretty straight forward drive from the directions.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
That area has had quite serious snow droughts in a couple of recent winters, so I'd be cautious. Since you're looking at Jan, I'd book late - you'll probably get a better deal anyway.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
David Goldsmith, I was there at the beginning of December and there was tons of snow..........infact they reckoned too much.

The "Milky Way" (Vialetta) region does have these "droughts" in snow. When dumping the rest of the alps it tends to miss these italian resorts, but visa versa as well although i hear that they tend to have fewer dumps but the dumps are bigger. As long as there is a couple of cm's isn't that enough to slide on, maybe not enough to do off piste though Wink If everyone ends up being so cautious then they'll only ever go to the very high resorts. At any rate you can buy the flights now to turin (BA & Ryan Air - good times & prices) and hten decide later if the snow is good enough or go somewhere else from Turin to the north for example.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Dan, I did precisely that three winters ago. Bought 3 Ryanair flights to Turin, waited for Jan snow (to ski the Monterosa area, which is higher than the Milky Way but affected by similar weather) and the snow didn't come. We sacrificed the tickets. We didn't really regret it in the end, because we did exactly the same thing the following winter and enjoyed great skiing.

I think, on balance, that area is less lucky than other parts of the Alps. As you say, last winter was fine.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
I had the misfortune of having booked a week in Passo Tonale in Jan 02.

Not one cm of natural snow, just ice that they had mede themselves. I could have cried, but instead numbed the pain with quite a few pints of the local brew!!!!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Now that worries me. No snow = suicide!!
I am quite happy with La Plagne. I've been there 5-6 weeks, always snow but can be cold in Jan.
We are only looking elsewhere this year cos it was so cold in '04 & '03 in Jan. (-20/30 with wind chill)
BUT I NEED GUARANTEED SNOW!
The wimps I'm going with (inc kids) don't understand that cold + powder is what we are paying for. This year at Belle Plagne in Jan was 20cms powder every day. What more could anyone ask for?
Anyway keep the info coming. What about the contacts for transfers and apartments?
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Michael B, well i'll be in Sestriere over New Years. Totally confident. You don't want to end up going to La Plagne, Val D'Isere every year do you??? NehNeh Wink

There are also plenty of snow cannons covering most, if not all the runs in Sestriere.
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
oh and i think www.flexiblebreaks.com now have some places in Sestriere - i've used them once in Sauze and they are great, so much so we are going back over new year.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
johnboy,

Quote:

I had the misfortune of having booked a week in Passo Tonale in Jan 02.

I had the same experience in Madonna di Campiglio. Bare mountains with some white snakes runnig down them. Also, temperatures were pretty low, they had snow guns but WEREN'T USING THEM!!!!!!!!!

Worst thing was that from some vantage points you could see all the way up to the Austrian mountains, where they had huge amounts of snow, early season.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy