Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

"Early" season

Poster: A snowHead
I'm dreaming at the moment, but a long weekend in late november / early december is tempting me

Given that we'd be flying from Manchester (unless there's a *really* good deal from somwehere like leeds/bradford or liverpool) becasue it;s only 10 miles from our house, what are our options?

BA offer flights to Geneva, Vienna, Zurich, Milan Malpensa, at around £100 to £150 each for a return.

Can you think of any resorts near(ish) to airports which will have opened around that time? What's the best aiport to use?

Bear in mind we're in Val Despair for a week from Jan 9th.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Last year we went away for a long weekend around the 8th December flying into Geneva.

We went to Val D. Conditions were pretty decent actually, even though it didn't look brilliant from the snow depths.

As I recall Espace Killy and Val Thorens were open as was Chamonix. Flaine was closed and opened the week after. Avoraiz was touch and go and don't remember whether it opened that weekend or not.

I think some of the closer Swiss resorts were also opened, but we didn't go there as all the higher lifts were drags and us boarders prefer to avoid them if at all possible.

If you go in November you'll probably have even less choice. As I recall Val D and Val T both opened on the 29th November.
snow conditions
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
That time of year you want to be looking at Austria - Hintertux or Stubai from Munich/Salzburg on various lo-cost airlines, but you may have to fly from Luton or Stansted.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Remember, in early season resorts often keep many runs closed regardless of how good conditions are... This being for the simple reason to preserve them for peak season. So wherever you may end up, don't be too surprised to find many runs closed.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nbt, if you're wanting good snow then, your best bet is Whistler, but that meets none of your criteria.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Kaprun?
I think some of the higher Swiss resorts open as soon as they can, so you could leave it until the snow conditions are a bit clearer.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Wear The Fow Hat, I'm off to Lake Louise on 29th November for 10 days. Have you any experience at that time of year?
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I wouldn't head for any ski resort at that time of year that has no good glacier skiing unless...

...the snow has fallen. The dawn of winter is just too unreliable

Maybe book a flight, but even there I'd prefer to choose the airport according to where the snow is lying. I agree with Plake that Hintertux or the Stubai would be the best destinations if you've really got to book the thing ahead. Hintertux is about the best glacier skiing around. Stubai is good and, just, gorgeous (stay in Neustift, and hopefully you'll find there's a postbus up the hill to the glacier base station - there used to be) unless you've got a rental car. Hintertux is a resort in itself.

There's also Kaprun (Kitzsteinhorn) and Solden (which has two glaciers). Both these are fine for a pre-season warm up.

Last edited by After all it is free Go on u know u want to! on Sun 15-08-04 11:44; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Actually, for Austria that time of year Obergurgl is about the best bet. They open mid November and that's a pretty complete opening. The glaciers are great at that time but limited terrain ie Pitztal, Solden etc.

Obergurgl is just up the road from Solden anyway.

Obergurgl on the opening weekend a couple of years ago. And Pitztal a couple of days later.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
ise, great shots - thanks a lot. I didn't leave a comment on the site. Wanted to say it on here. No shortage of snow that early season.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
nbt, went for 5 days to Sauze D'Oux last year on the 5th Decemeber. Conditions were fantastic and the resort very quiet. If we saw 5 people on the same run it was busy!!! We got a great deal when we were at the Daily Mail exhibition at Olympia last year, cheap ryan air flights as well.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Quote:

Given that we'd be flying from Manchester (unless there's a *really* good deal from somwehere like leeds/bradford or liverpool) becasue it;s only 10 miles from our house, what are our options?

Jet 2 fly to Geneva from Leeds-Bradford, and SleazyJet fly from Liverpool to Geneva.

As an example, right now Sleazy Jet are offering L'pool to Geneva on 10 Dec @ £33, returning on 17th @ £9.

The best I can find for Jet 2 in December is Leeds to Geneva on 19 dec @ £39, returning 22nd @ £19
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Tignes was good last 11th December, and even better the year before on the 6th November, with skiing down to Val Claret. Why not try Randonee, and forget about the lifts!.
We fly to Geneva and then use Sixti.de, its only just over two hours to BSM
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
There is a Ski Race in Austria at the end of October, I saw it last year on Eurosport, does anyone know are any runs open for recreational skiers then?
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Some of the French and Swiss resorts with glaciers seem to be opening for the weekend of 23/24 October. At that time of year, all that's likely to be open are the runs on the glaciers - even if there's snow lower down they won't have the staff in place to man the lifts, bash the pistes etc.

Unfortunately, I'm flying off to Australia on the 24th (back in mid-November for the season) so won't be able to get any runs in.
ski holidays
Hi

I was in Cervinia for a weekend last year on 29 Nov and the previous year spent a week there 5 Dec+. Both times the snow was amazing but as they say it's a lottery at that time of year, Cervinia is high so it's a good bet but not guaranteed.

Check out a few pics from Nov 29 here: http://diarmuid.no-ip.info/my_pics/2003%2011%2030%20Cervinia/index.html

Where I live it's only 4 hours drive so it makes going there a decision that can be made Friday afternoon Very Happy

D
snow conditions
Johnboy - LL had the biggest dump of the season in November last year - the locals were still raving about it in February! Very Happy
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy