Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Zermatt 28/6/04 - 3/7/04

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just thought I'd let you all know that I've just recently returned from a wee break in Zermatt. It was my first time in Zermatt, my first time in the Alps in summer & I think I'm hooked, on both. Zermatt is so dinky, it reminded me of Toytown, & the Matterhorn is stunning. The train journey alone was worth the trip - breath taking.

And yes, most importantly, I did get to ski - YIPPEE!!! I'm a complete new-comer to this summer skiing lark & didn't know what to expect, maybe a wee crappy nursery-like slope open that you could endlessly trudge up & down....Was I in for a shock! Very plesantly surprised by the size of ski area open. For anyone who knows the area, it was possible to ski right down from the top of the Klein Matterhorn to the Trockener Steg station, with a short walk through a building site at the very bottom! There were also two drag lifts open on the glacier as well.

The weather was perfect apart from Thurs 1/7/04 when there was a force 50 million blowing at the top station! Enough to put off even some National Ski Teams (& me!!). My consolation prize for even trying to go skiing was sharing the ride down with Tobias Gruenenfelder of the Swiss Ski Team - what a honey!!! Apart from that day it was sun, sun, sun, ski clubs (lots of kids in training), National Ski Teams (Swiss, Russians?!! & some Swedes - REALLY works wonders for the old confidence but great to watch) & loads of British snowboarders. The snow held up well in the face of some really hot temperatures. On our last day my sister & I started our last run down just as the runs were about to close & we had the whole mountain to ourselves - sheer bliss....

I would definitely go back in summer - skiing can be combined with other activities (we did a lot of hiking as well) for a great holiday. Mind you, I've never been so knackered after a holiday in my life! Highly recommended.

It's just dawned on me that this is probably in the wrong forum but sure one of you moderators can kindly move it for me. Blush
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
TC, sounds like a good time. What time do you finish on the slopes in the afternoon, does this give you enough time to do some cycling, tennis or other sports etc??

Note to self: Must try summer sliding SOON!!!! snowHead
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Loads of time Dan. They closed the pistes at 13:25, last ride up for skiers 13:20, but by then the slopes were practically deserted. Quick ride down to the village, back to hotel, shower, change & away again.

The lifts & mountain railways run until around 17:00, so loads of time to go somewhere else for mountain biking etc. Zermatt is quite compact too which helped & we stayed slap-bang in the center.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
TC, cool thanks! seems like an ideal "summer holiday" get to do everything! How did you get to Zermatt?
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Sleazyjet to Geneva and then the train right up to resort. All very painless & straightforward. The train journey took just under 4 hrs including 1 change, but the scenery was absolutely stunning. We even got onto The Glacier Express for the last leg of the journey which had the proper sightseeing carriages - had to pay a supplement though, about £11 I think, well worth it for the running commentary up the Valley.

Absolutely loved the place. I guess I'll try to do something similar every summer now, either there or somewhere else close to a glacier.
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy