Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Obertauern for Christmas

Poster: A snowHead
Having done lots of research I am nearly decided on going to Obertauern in Austria for Xmas. It's high, allegedly snowsure, and somewhere different.

Also Ryanair fly to Salzburg, so I'm considering putting a holiday together independently. There will be 8 of us, 4 teenagers, 2 couples, all quite competent skiers.

Do any of the Snowhead mines of information have any knowledge of Obertauern?
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
RachelQ, not on their specifically but if you are looking at arranging for X-mas i would get a move on in booking a hotel etc as its going to be a busy one with all the "extra" days holidays because of the bank holidays falling on saturdays etc. I think you can end up taking 9 days sliding for 3 days works holiday.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Went to Obertauern in April. It's about 1 hour from Salzburg airport by car. Alternatively, catch a train to Radstadt and get a taxi to Obertauern. You can also get a taxi transfer at a reasonable rate - check this out with your hotel.

The place has loads and loads of snow. The snow in April was almost perfect. I think Obertauern is very underated by the Brits, the skiers seemed to be mostly Germans, who can travel there easily by car. It is an intermediates paradise and there are several nice beginner's runs. Apparently (although I am not one myself) advance skiers do find the Tauern valley limited.

Try and stay on the east side of the main road as this gives easiest access to most lifts. One of the main meeting points was the Red Bull umbrella bar at the Luezer Alms - which has a webcam located nearby so that you can keep an eye on snow conditions and also stand near to wave at the folks back home!

My only question mark regarding going to Obertauern at Christmas, is the weather - I'm pretty sure it could get very bleak and dark there in the shor winter months - have a look at any historical weather reports.

I'm sure I'll be returning there but more likely in March or April when the guaranteed snow is a huge draw.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Welcome to snowHeads, Hywel snowHead
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Welcome to snowHeads, Hywel

Is there something special about Obertauern that makes it dark ?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
i think i'm right in saying it's one of the highest resorts in austria (except for perhaps obergurgl) and all i remember from the place is lots and lots of flat light, with no trees to break it up as it's above the tree line. take the gamsleiten2 lift on the other side of the valley for some fun bumps/steeps!

not sure what the place is called but i had the best goulash experience in obertauern. which is interesting.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
tough crowd, Welcome to SnowHeads!!
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
thanks very much dan - still staggered that i never found out about this place sooner! i fear no work will be done for some time! tc.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
it gets like that sometimes, today being very much one of those days!! Wink Where you on the old ski club one? That's where the vast majority of us have come from........basically we "non-members" who just used the forum facility got booted out sometime in Feb, so U & a few others (i think) got together and set this up. It's impressive and only been going for a few months!
latest report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Hywel, a belated welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead - it's a lot busier here than in r.s.r.e. ! And to tough crowd....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Ian Hopkinson,

I don't think the place gets a load of sun somehow - it's a narrowish valley which just seems to attract cloud cover ( I'm no Michael Fish so I don't know why!)
On the flip side the frequent precipitation guarantees load and loads of snow. In April the snow depths were 3m TOP and 2m in the village!

And yes the goulash soup is lovely
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Hywel and tough crowd, thank you for your info and welcome! The reason I picked Obertauern is because it is so high, but the flat light and bleakness do worry me. The hotels look fabulous, which thermal spas and pools and amazing food.

The other places I'm looking at are Saalbach, Alpback and Hinterglemm, which all seem to be the right sort of height, with reasonably good early snow. According to SCGB anyway.

Dan, I realise I need to book quickly, and I've got 4 places shortlisted, but just hoped for some feedback before deciding. It's quite scary booking Christmas for another family. Getting it wrong is not really an option!
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
RachelQ, we booked for New Year in Sauze a while ago as we had a good experience with Flexible Breaks - the company hosting us, which at that time of year is possibly the most important factor??? well in my view anyway. Sauze (& the milky way) is not the most fantastic place (huge though) for sliding, but there will be snow (we are making sacrifices to the snow gods everyweekend at the moment but will step that up to everyday around November) and a load of our mates so there will be lots of banter, which is what matters at that time of year.
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Dan, thanks, but most definitely no thanks! In all our years of skiing, one of the most disappointing was a Xmas week in Sauze 3 or 4 years ago. Ice, ice and ice, but thin ice. Couldn't ski any of the circuit, the links were all closed. It snowed the morning we were leaving. I do hope you have better luck than we did.
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Shocked I hope so as well. Went to Sauze begining of December on a early bird special and had fantastic snow so just fingers crossed for hte same! otherwise............. Crying or Very sad
snow conditions
Dan, yeah i did look over the ski club board a fair bit but kinda forgot about it over time! i didn't realise that this place is the offspring though - a good job well done i think!

RachelQ, i've had some great fun in saalbach. skiing is good, if a little too intermediate orientated. nightlife very good, if you ever get there, particularly 'tanzhimmel', or 'dance heaven' literally translated. the music is as cheezy as it's name but after a bit too much apres it becomes less of an issue! Agree about Sauze - skiing hol turned into hiking holiday last time; there was more ice in the bars than on the slopes.
snow conditions
Well, I've booked, but not Obertauern. We're going to stay in Hinterglemm, up the road from Saalbach. We're staying in the Dorfschmeide, which seems to be a good start to apres ski. So here's wishing for a snowy Christmas.

Thank you all for your help and comments.
ski holidays
RachelQ, good choice. i did mislead you slightly about saalbach, but i doubt it'll change you're holiday plans! the 'tanzhimmel' disco is not in saalbach, but in hinterglemm. hinterglemm is the livelier of the two villages and i would say had the lion's share of the good skiing. good choice!!
latest report
Good choice RachelQ. We went to Saalbach this year and generally skied around Hinterglemm. I would make a visit to Saalbach though for a night out as it has a more village feel about it and is only 5 mins down the road by car. Zell am Zee and the legendary Crazy Daisies club is only 15 mins away in a taxi too. Enjoy.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy