Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Any one been to Gressoney?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Just received details of my daughters next year ski trip with school and wondered if any of you knew anything about the area as she's desperate to go and I'm viewing the price!!! They are staying at the hotel Monboso in Gressoney.
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Went there one January when the snow in that area was a bit poor so we ended up travelling to La Thuile and Cervinia for better conditions. That said I would go back. It is about an hour /hour and a half from Turin airport with an easy transfer-in good conditions- by motorway most of the way. You come off the motorway and go up a not too bad road to the end, more or less and that is Gressoney . Not a lot going on for the younger crowd, I would have thought, in terms of apres ski but our hotel- not the one you mention- had a decent restaurant and bar, which was good enough for me.The Monterosa region has a good reputation for off piste skiing, we hit it on a bad year, I believe. People were very friendly and I heard enough about the good points to make me think that we were just unlucky on timing. From what I saw though, you go for the skiing, not the night life etc. That may be just what you want
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Your daughter is very lucky and so are you if you go with her. Unlike a lot of school trip destinations, Gressoney has got some seriously good skiing. A big interlinked area - can't remember the total mileage but champoluc/gressoney/alagna together have a lot of mileage in three different valleys. Some great off-piste. An intermediate's paradise but with Alagna offering the Italian equivalent of La Grave for those seeking an advance challenge. I went there about eight years back when my skiing wasn't anywhere near as good as now and it's on my list of places I would like to return to.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
StanBowles, Welcome to snowHead SnowHeads snowHead

(You didn't play football a bit once, a few years back, by any chance?!)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
nicky, that hotel is right at the head of the valley at a place called Stafal. It's excellently placed for access to the skiing, but there's nothing there apart from the lift stations, the hotel, some houses. It's not a village, and it's some miles up the valley from the two Gressoney villages (Trinite and St Jean).

Therefore, there's not much to do in the evenings and no shopping. But for skiing it's great, and there's some great terrain up there for intermediates and beyond.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
StanBowles Welcome to snowHeads snowHead
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Sounds good about nothing to do in the evenings as she is only 11 and i'd rather she wasn't out on the town!! If you recon the skings good then I suppose I'd better start saving now!Thanks for your help Blush
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
nicky wrote:
Sounds good about nothing to do in the evenings as she is only 11 and i'd rather she wasn't out on the town!! If you recon the skings good then I suppose I'd better start saving now!Thanks for your help Blush
No. Just borrowed the name from my all time favourite football heroPG,
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Woops. That football bit was supposed to be a reply to PG. Sorry folks, just getting used to the reply tools.PG,
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
StanBowles, Some player, no doubt about it .....
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Went to Champoluc for a long weekend late this year. Gressony is the middle valley. Skiing should be great. Nothing very challenging on-piste, VERY pretty, good on mountain food. Lots of just off piste options (probably not so appropriate for 11 year old but great in general). There should be a major new lift up to complete the third valley link (it almost made it this year, towers in cable run etc but just didn't quite get completed in time - how Italian...).
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
Welcome to snowHead snowHeads snowHead AncientBriton!
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
AncientBriton, welcome to snowHeads snowHead

Any evidence for snowsports amongst the ancient Britons?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nicky, Gressony will be great, no drag lifts at all in the valley as far as I recall, gondola or cable car out from the hotels is no more than 100m from any hotel at Stafal. I think the scenery is absolutely amazing. any number of 4000m peaks, and the valley is pleasantly tree lined. They have a great woodcarving tradition and tree stumps are often carved into faces etc to add interest to some of the chairlift rides. I cannot think of a better destination for a school trip to gain maximum skiing with minimal teacher stress! - I would volunteer to go and help if I were you - its that good a SKIING resort, but take some good books for the evenings!
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Went for a long wekedns April 2-6 this year and although snow wasn't great quality, the ski area is great and an undiscovered gem. So easy to get to from Turin. I stayed in Champlouc which is the busiest resort but still really quiet. Had a fantastic day off-piste on teh Alagna side and then back into Gressoney. Perfect for a school trip Mum!!!

The ONLY downside I felt was the run to Stafal from Gressoney which is a road and needs good snow cover or else you may have to take your skis off once or twice!!!

The link into Alagna will be open this year! If I don't go for a full week this year I'll go back next year. The red run back down to Champoluc is one of the best kept end of day burns you can have!

I stayed in the Hotel California!!! Beat that for an old hippy! Anyone interested should try www.ski2.com (or is it .co.uk?). Very good operator, highly recommended. Did I mention that the slopes are almost deserted and there are no queues????? An intermediate's paradise and now a lure for advanced. I'll tell you about the 'Basket' ski lift another time............ Laughing
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy