Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Morillon to Flaine

Poster: A snowHead
So, I have bought a full Grand Massif pass in advance because it wasn't much difference to the local area one for Morillon where we are staying and because when I've skied from Samoens and Les Carroz in the past I have really enjoyed the skiing over in Flaine, in fact I was really looking to returning the wide open blues that are there, however while trying to arrange tuition a local ski instructor from Flaine has said:

Quote:
Unfortunately you will not be able to ski from Morillon to Flaine, especially since you have a confidence issue. To get here you have to ski down Dolomie and Tourmaline, two very difficult blue runs which have moguls/bumps, are hard-packed/icy and tend to be busy with skiers going to Flaine or skiing back to the lower ski areas (Morillon, Les Carroz, Samoens).

I can't remember it being an issue getting to Flaine before, but I am not as confident as I used to be

So I have some questions:

1. Is it possible to get to Flaine by chair?
2. Does this mean the beginners in our group (will have had a few Snozone lessons but its their first week on real snow), who haven't yet bought their lift passes, shouldn't bother with the area pass as we are unlikely to get them to Flaine?
3. Is it easier to get from Samoens to Flaine? probably the same runs I'm guessing into Flaine, but less skiing to get to them so tackling them with fresher legs.
4. What is the easiest route back?
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
1. No.
2. Maybe yes maybe no, depends on the person, how confident they are and how quickly they learn, these are blue runs & other than tormaline sometimes getting busy with choppy snow it’s not outside that colour classification (though busy and nervous skiers does not always make for a fun time).
3. You can get more direct lifts from Samoens so less skiing to get into Flaine but same skiing afterwards into Flaine. Obviously you’d then have to get to Samoens which seems a bit of a faff too versus just enjoying what skiing they can do & easily get to & any apres/restaurant time.
4.After some short blues from the top of the access in/out of flaine you can get onto a very easy green run - marvel. This is definitely the easiest route back.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Rh2205 wrote:
1. No.
2. Maybe yes maybe no, depends on the person, how confident they are and how quickly they learn, these are blue runs & other than tormaline sometimes getting busy with choppy snow it’s not outside that colour classification (though busy and nervous skiers does not always make for a fun time).
3. You can get more direct lifts from Samoens so less skiing to get into Flaine but same skiing afterwards into Flaine. Obviously you’d then have to get to Samoens which seems a bit of a faff too versus just enjoying what skiing they can do & easily get to & any apres/restaurant time.
4.After some short blues from the top of the access in/out of flaine you can get onto a very easy green run - marvel. This is definitely the easiest route back.

Thanks - Samoens might be an option as the chalet provides transport to the lifts and their website says Samoens is only 5 mins away so I suspect its just as easy for them to drop us there, sounds like getting back is a lot easier - maybe we can bribe the chalet hosts to drop us in Flaine one morning lol! Guess we'll be guided by the hosts when we arrive which pass to buy for the others. Hubby and son have area passes too so no doubt they will take advantage - hubby wants to do the long run down to Sixt.

Love Marvel, if the snow is OK I suspect we will do it a lot!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
When are you going? I’m not sure Sixt has been open this season yet, way too mild still! Hopefully you’ll have fun whatever you do & good luck bribing the hosts to drive you to Flaine as it’s a long way by road! If there are children beginners then I’d say they probably aren’t going to make it to flaine as they’ll still be building up runs, teens & adults you have more chance as they can brute force their way down into flaine if conditions aren’t great and there technique still bad!
latest report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It is a bit of a mission to get over there - and there will be some very busy, bumpy piste descents to catch the essential 'commuter' lift up to Tete des Saix before descending Dolomie to catch the Vernant lift up and then descending into Flaine - Where you will have access to some lovely wide and tree lined pistes

In good piste conditions its managemable for beginners but....

Set out early - take it at your own pace on the busier bumpier pistes - enjoy the open pistes and allow yourself a couple of hours or more to get back.

Bear in mind though that current icy and hard packed conditions may make it more difficult - So make a sensible judgment
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Edit: I failed to see the "It's their first week on real snow" part, so ignore previous comments. Yes, I'd agree with the instructor, there would be no point in getting them the GM pass, there will be plenty and more to do in the Morillon-Samoens-LesC areas.

Last edited by You'll need to Register first of course. on Tue 30-01-24 16:07; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Flaine is a 45 minute drive from Morillon, if you get taken there by your chalet hosts I'll be amazed. We did have to drive round to FLaine for a few days in Jan 2023 though when the local aera was closed. Where are you staying?

From Morillon though I'd advise starting on the Vercland gondola if you want to get to Flaine, it's much easier to get that and then the Chariande Express to get up to Tete des Saix - from Morillon you have the Gondola to Les Esserts, then Sairon, then ski down to Coulouvrier to get to the same point. From there, Silice can be busy, and Dolomie can be both busy and bumpy, but you should be fine to just take your time and get there

I'm not entirely sure why you were asking "a local ski instructor from Flaine" about whether you can ski over - were you hoping to book lessons with an instructor in Flaine? There are ski schools in Samoens and Morillon!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@skimummk, if it's the first time on snow for the beginners then some of them might make it to Flaine by the end of the week, depending on ability and snow conditions. Very variable conditions at the moment (I'm not there but have been reading the Snow Reports thread for the Grand Massif area). The Tourmaline blue run takes you down to Flaine. It is mostly wide but has a couple of awkward places which tend to get cut up, where beginners would struggle. I've skied it dozens of times and this is my experience of it. Also, to return towards Morillon (or Samoens or Les Carroz) you need to take the Dolomie piste. Yes, it's blue, but has some steepish bits which would challenge beginners (it is wide though). These two runs form the only two way link to and from Flaine.

However, if anyone can get to Flaine there are some decent cruising blues in the Flaine bowl (top to bottom). Hope you have a good trip snowHead
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
If they are beginners, having their first week on snow (and presumably having lessons) I wouldn't have thought "not getting to Flaine" was a disaster if there's comfortable skiing for them nearer to home.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@skimummk, there's really good piste in that Morillon/Les Carroz area without going out of it at all.

Flaine,,obviously as you describe it in regard to piste type for early skills and confidence building. I too think exemplary, but can see the point being made about travel over there given the skills you've described and from that professional responsibility standpoint.

Initially I'd suggest as group to explore from Morillon by going up Sairon chair, take right bias route to Les Carroz and Gron chair. This brings you to the ridge above Les Carroz where much of the early teaching takes place with very good facilities. A little further by going down the ridge route to Les Carroz village, this hugely wide and gentle getting steeper at the last pitch. Its very very wide here to allow for extremely gentle traverse and just taking time. Return to ridge with gondola from LC.

Route back to Morillion is via Molliet lift, again a gentle route with a steeper bit right at the bottom, same consideration applies as previous in being hugely wide to allow gentle mitigation for traverse route. This chair is a direct and one shot route straight back to Morillon ski area that leads directly onto Marvel etc.

If you and others can manage those two route, then a trip to Flaine would be more likely. worthwhile as a practice loop to help you see how all get on.

Samoèns is generally steeper than the sector just described. Wherever you enter from LC, M or S you will have to route through Tète d Saix regardless, that bit is probably more of a mental challenge for you based on your own description posted previously.

I feel there's a fair bit to get familiar with firstly in LC & M ski ares to at least let you judge for yourself without getting stuck from confidence point of view.

We've quite extensive experience with family, kids, other family etc and stayed in all of the villages of GM with Morillon being a favourite location for us. Son skied to fFlaine from there at 5 and daughter at 6 with gentle exploratory approach, so quite possible with careful outlook.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
I'm with @siangrant regarding "In good piste conditions its manageable for beginners but....". Dolomie and Tourmaline can be problematic for beginners if busy and / or chopped up, given that they're about the only blues to get over to Flaine and "it's their first week on real snow". I'd suggest getting there as early as you can if you still intend to get the beginners to Flaine. The better option would be to sweetalk your host to make the long trip if you're set on getting to Flaine. That said, there are some lovely blues in Morillon, Samoens and Les Carroz to enjoy (don't know about the greens).

A lot more snow is needed in the area before Cascades is open to get to Sixt.
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
nbt wrote:
Flaine is a 45 minute drive from Morillon, if you get taken there by your chalet hosts I'll be amazed. We did have to drive round to FLaine for a few days in Jan 2023 though when the local aera was closed. Where are you staying?

From Morillon though I'd advise starting on the Vercland gondola if you want to get to Flaine, it's much easier to get that and then the Chariande Express to get up to Tete des Saix - from Morillon you have the Gondola to Les Esserts, then Sairon, then ski down to Coulouvrier to get to the same point. From there, Silice can be busy, and Dolomie can be both busy and bumpy, but you should be fine to just take your time and get there

I'm not entirely sure why you were asking "a local ski instructor from Flaine" about whether you can ski over - were you hoping to book lessons with an instructor in Flaine? There are ski schools in Samoens and Morillon!

We are staying in Morillon village, but I think its about a 15 minute walk to the lifts, as they provide transport I didn't pay a lot of attention. Driving to Flaine sounds like a no, unless the snow is really bad, but really useful to know about the Vercland route.

I asked the Flaine instructor because he was recommended for teaching people where the issue is confidence and he's from USA so a guarantee I'd be able to explain my problem, and it would definitely be him doing the teaching whereaas its a bit hit and miss with ski schools. There is ESF in Morillon, but I had one with ESF in Valmeneir a couple of years ago and it was very much "follow me" and didn't really address the fears, and although I was told the instructor spoke English, his English was about as good as my French. If I have a lesson I really would prefer it to be like the one I had with Charlotte last year in L2A - we talked as much about the psychology as we did the skiing so I'm really still not sure a generic lesson is the answer - probably I just need to try and psyche myself up and get on with it, putting into practice what Charlotte showed me.

I thought I might go to the ladies coaching session at the Snozone and practice my hockey stops, kick turns and side slipping - so that if I do panic I have tools in the bag to get me out of the predicament.

The beginners are adults (29/52) both pretty fit, one at least is fairly gungho (went to Snozone a couple of years ago, lied about being able to ski and still managed to get down) - I guess we'll know in a couple of weeks after they've had their Snozone lessons what level they are at.
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Thanks for all the advice - we skied Samoens when the kids were much younger - and I had no problems apart from top of Saix - but life has moved on - broken shoulder, two new hips and anxiety issues have all knocked my confidence for 6.

Went to Les Carroz in 2020 - and skied mostly Carroz/Flaine with no issues, but I think there is more than enough in the Villages area - so whilst I prefer Flaine its probably not worth the effort - I'll just try and stay there next time we do Grand Massif (assuming I don't decide after this year to hang up the ski boots)
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@skimummk, we've stayed a couple of time in Chalet Brio, sounds like yo may be there? it's lovely. I guess the instructor in Flaine is Lynne Stainbrook, I have his page in my list and have considered him in the past. As you say, booking with a school like ESF or Zigzag can be a bit hit and miss. Worth asking at your chalet though, whichever it is, as they hosts being resident will have a much better idea of whether they can recommend anyone
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
nbt wrote:
@skimummk, we've stayed a couple of time in Chalet Brio, sounds like yo may be there? it's lovely. I guess the instructor in Flaine is Lynne Stainbrook, I have his page in my list and have considered him in the past. As you say, booking with a school like ESF or Zigzag can be a bit hit and miss. Worth asking at your chalet though, whichever it is, as they hosts being resident will have a much better idea of whether they can recommend anyone

Yes, it was Lynne - he sent me a very comprehensive reply to my query but basically said it wasn't practical for us to meet up and that by the time i'd skied over (even if I could) I wouldn't be in a fit state to get the most out of a lesson anyway.
latest report
@skimummk, @nbt, Lynne's reputation is well deserved, I would thoroughly recommend him.
snow report
@skimummk, if you're unable to get to Flaine for that instructor to be viable, it could be worthwhile an enquiry to ESF in Morillon 1100 Les Esserts, based in the top side of gondola arrival building.

We've had, both family and friends, good teaching from there although not visited recently. Specifically taking adhoc afternoon tuition (after their morning classes) for individuals in improvement of certain skills areas.
Very approachable and productive, could be worth your time to go in and discuss what you'd need at least. Empathetic, professional and pragmatic id describe their approach, also being obviously very familiar with local terrain and conditions.

I like the general feel of people I've met working in the Morillon locale, being usually friendly helpful and professional. Thats for pass office, restaurants, pistuers, lifties etc. One of our friend's children was taught by a relative of Antoine Dénériaz, a French Olympic gold medalist of 2006 (the family are proprietor of a few business in that valley) it just seems quite a caring attitude in that sector of GM and one of quiet confidence too.
ski holidays
I think that’s the answer - wait till we get there and just book something ad hoc
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy