Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Your St Anton/Arlberg Recommendations

Poster: A snowHead
Hi all,

Last year, I asked the SnowHeads community for its Dolomiti Superski recommendations, and you guys did not disappoint. I’m hoping for the same this season but for our first trip to the Arlberg region. If this should be posted elsewhere or there’s already a thread of this nature, please let me know.

6 adults, intermediate/advanced, arriving in to Innsbruck in late February and skiing for 6 days. We will likely take the train from the airport to St Anton as we’re coming in on multiple flights at different times, so private transfer isn’t an option. Staying in Haus Sattelblick, on the west side of town.

I’m after all of your best suggestions for the region. We’re competent on piste skiers who are starting to venture off piste. Advice on must ski areas and good off piste guides would be appreciated. Your restaurant recommendations would be great too, for lunch and dinner in any of the Arlberg towns, at all price ranges.

Also, any general region tips are welcome.

Thanks guys and here’s to an incredible upcoming season!
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Plenty of threads on the Arlberg already…

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=164688&start=240

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=166514

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=166289

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=166355

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=166468

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=5043974&highlight=arlberg#5043974

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?p=4921267&highlight=arlberg#4921267

If you cannot find the info you seeking in those threads, then ask away. One of us St Anton regulars here are sure to be able to answer those questions.
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@fox15, there’s plenty on this as @ulmerhutte, says above, 2 things I’d suggest as a frequent visitor to St Anton.

1. Pre book a guide and be wary of entering offpiste areas without local knowledge and all the av kit, and knowing how to use it.

2. Where you are staying is a very steep walk up/ down to town, consider skis and boot storage in town. We’ve stayed up there once and it’s not as convenient as it looks imv. The ski bus comes down the hill after a big loop up Moos and is frequently very full at peak times. Steep walk down in ski boots, you can’t ski the street it’s stoned up every morning early. Plus it’s illegal I believe, local police hot on it and you don’t need that! Also at end of day it’s a chew walking back up. Also noisy until 19.00 with Mooserwirt directly over the ravene. So long as your cool with those things fine, just mentioning it so you can be aware in advance. Pre book a taxi for station pickup when you arrive, I’d not want to haul my kit up the street to there.

Great pizzas nearby Floriani. Used to be fab, went awful service and we stopped going, now good again- owned now by Kertess family.
latest report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
@fox15, Innsbruck airport doesn’t have a train station. Jump on bus F which takes you to the main station in the city centre. It’s a 20 minute ride. Then it’s about an hour on the train to resort.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@fox15, ignore my comment about noise, it's not the street I was thinking (that the one behind which backs onto Mooserwirt), however its steep and ski bus can be full before it gets to you at peak times in morning. Great view and rooms/ breakfast and wellness looks good on website, a fair hike up though in ski boots or when you've had a few sherbets!..... wink
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Thanks for your replies-

I had already read through the linked threads but not seen much info on skiing the region. What are your favourite areas, and where can we find easy access to some relatively mellow off piste action?

I do want to book a guide for a day, more as an off piste lesson where we can learn about Av safety too, who can you recommend? I’m sure the info is here, but there’s only so much trawling of the forums that I can do!

@Markymark thanks for your advice. The hotel offers free gear storage at the Galzigbahn base, so we’ll make the most of that, definitely won’t be skiing down the street in the mornings! Hotel location isn’t perfect but the price was right and it is at least within walking distance to multiple lifts.
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It's been a while since we went, but the best fun we had was the toboggan run at night. Book the Rodel Alm, I think it is called Thony's now, halfway down. The food is great and it's great barreling down with mates. Just make sure you don't miss the turn for the restaurant halfway down.
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Thanks for your replies-

I had already read through the linked threads but not seen much info on skiing the region. What are your favourite areas, and where can we find easy access to some relatively mellow off piste action?

I do want to book a guide for a day, more as an off piste lesson where we can learn about Av safety too, who can you recommend? I’m sure the info is here, but there’s only so much trawling of the forums that I can do!

@Markymark thanks for your advice. The hotel offers free gear storage at the Galzigbahn base, so we’ll make the most of that, definitely won’t be skiing down the street in the mornings! Hotel location isn’t perfect but the price was right and it is at least within walking distance to multiple lifts.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
@fox15, there's so much off-piste to go at, difficult to know where to start suggesting but as a suggestion try the Itinery routes shown dotted on the piste map and go from there. Make sure you have the av gear when going off the pistes. My best advice is not to follow people off piste, take a guide when you are heading out for the first times, people could go wrong and you don't want to be following them into dangerous situations. Guides aren't cheap but between a group its do-able and you'll have such fun. Enjoy.

Galzigbahn storage perfect btw.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@fox15, you really do need a guide to find “mellow” offpiste. There is plenty of offpiste, side piste really, where the whole line, or most of it, can be scoped from a lift or an adjacent run, that could be done without a guide, assuming you have the equipment and experience. Examples include: Schindlerkar, Mattun, skier’s right of Riffel 2, Geißleger, and others. Since they are easy to access, they will be thrashed within an hour of lift open!

Some suggestions here, but for some you absolutely must have a guide, if for nothing else but to assess the safety of the line: https://alloffpiste.com/geisleger-stuben/ For example, Mainvasen is very prone to wet slides on warm days. The Törli is a death trap. People die there regularly. I know of at least 2 there last year.

Apart from safety, a guide will help you find the best snow. The offpiste is so vast, almost limitless, so without local knowledge, it would be a crapshoot to find that best snow.

I am happy to recommend Andy Thurner as a guide: https://www.explore-share.com/mountain-guide/andy-thurner/ He wrote 2 books on Arlberg offpiste and is a friend of a friend. I met him once or twice - a true gentleman.

There is also https://pistetopowder.com/ - don’t know enough about them to recommend or otherwise.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@fox15, To be really honest Foxy, St Anton is pants. Especially in a season with outstanding snow start like this one! Way too much snow in the Arlberg beginning of December is not a good sign really. The Sattelblick is in a pretty pants position too, just opposite the ski bus No 3 stop into town that drops you a few feet from Galzig. Or a quick trek via the path/Schulerweg to the Ski Bus to Lech which cost lots of beer vouchers to get ahead of the ST A crowds heading there for quieter pistes and better snow (especially at Zurs). Sadly Lech is the best place to get the Auenfedldjet to Warth (the snowiest place in the Alps) where the some of the nicest skiing there is to be found. Onyour way back stop of at the Krone von Lech ski-bar for a Champagne spritz and live musik before splashing the plastic at Strolz shop for new ski kit.

TBH ...... when you get to Geneva/Zurich turn left and go to France. Toofy Grin
latest report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
skimastaaah wrote:
Sadly Lech is the best place to get the Auenfedldjet to Warth -

Say what?!? Lech is the ONLY place to get on the Auenfeldjet, apart from (of course) Warth. Been enjoying a Xmas tipple? Toofy Grin
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@ulmerhutte, Meaning you can't take a ski bus from St Anton to Warth, so the "Run of Fame" destination has to be skied to. snowHead
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@ulmerhutte and @markymark thank you for your suggestions. We’d be hiring the guide to learn about Av safety and find some untouched pockets of powder we wouldn’t find on our own. I will reach out to Andy.

@skimastaaah your suggestions are pants and we’ll be doing the exact opposite!

Is the bus to Lech a big time saver even for those that can cover ground on piste pretty quickly? Just watched this very informative video where it takes the guy 2.5 hours to get from St Anton to Warth on piste.
http://youtube.com/v/HhmbzayCd0Q?si=c3xwO72fG22oLhBW
snow conditions
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@fox15, If you get out on first Galzigbahn then down to Rauz and up over Trittkopf and the up over Madloch to Lech and then over Auenfeldjet and you are really moving with no queues you will be in Warth in 1.5-2 hours. I'd say if you wanted to ski a full day over in Warth worth catching the Post Bus around to Zurs and ski bus to Lech to get the maximum time around there otherwise you'll potentially be chasing back as soon as you get there. It's a small charge but worth it to get a full day in Warth. Make sure you don't get stuck in Warth if the weather closes in and its very windy they can shut the lift at short notice, its an expensive taxi ride home, via Bregenzerwald and Dornbirn. Shocked the journey over is great and worth doing another day around to Lech via skis when less under time pressure ime.
snow report
@fox15,
1. you should ignore the info in that video. Lots of nonsense and misinformation. (there is no '"C" shape tour between St.Anton and Warth, it only looks like it in the skimap (for those making YouTube videos, appearantly...))
2. Warth is -quite- nice. But yes, the tour from St.Anton can indeed take long, especially for a novice in the area, bound to take wrong turns. And then you can become a bit nervous to get back in time. Which puts unpleasant pressure on you skiing day. In short: if you are staying in St.Anton, your focus should not be on Warth....
There is much more beauty in-between Very Happy
(oh and please do not pronounce Warth like this crazy YouTube New Yorker)

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 5-12-23 22:30; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
@Langerzug, You put that much better than me, but I agree - worth a trip over though, but its a compromise missing all the good stuff between!
snow conditions
St. Anton with Zürs, and St. Cristoph - Stuben are enough for a week i think. There is no need to go till Warth.
snow conditions
@fox15, The place you are staying is fine though you might want to jump in a taxi on arrival as it is a bit of a pain dragging kit there from the station. No issue walking to and from drinking spots.

If you want to hire skis or other kit go to Jennewein, they have the best kit though the best stuff (mostly Stökli skis) does cost. The have a nice depot directly opposite the Galzigbahn (also hire from there rather one of their other places), though you might find your accommodation has a deal with Alber or Intersport (both also next to Galzigbahn).

In terms of skiing, if heading towards Zürs / Lech / Warth, I would strongly recommend the Postbus either 08:40 from the station or a minute or so later from the stop not far from your accommodation on the Arlbergstrasse. It might seem counterintuitive to be getting a bus rather than skiing but the bus will get you to Zürs a good deal quicker than even racers can manage and it avoids the pushing and shoving in the queue for Galzig, basically you actually get more quality ski time.

Others better qualified to advise on the off piste, only comment I would make is any fresh snow gets skied out very quickly you need to be up early.

The ski routes are some of the best runs. Some such as Madloch, Schindlerkar even Langerzug (despite it being steep) are basically pistes with centre markers rather than side ones. If you like moguls then the Mattun bowl should keep you amused for a good while, Osthang under the Galzig lift is short but often interesting. The "black" ones are usually steep and you need you keep a good eye out for hazards such as exposed rocks, the "red" ones are generally not so difficult if you can cope with variable snow

There is a thought that Zürs has the best snow (another reason to get there early the runs on the west side get the morning sun), the Muggengrat / Zürsertäli run almost always has the best of the snow and great views, lots of options off to the side but be careful.

I dont think the piste skiing is so good at Lech (though nothing wrong with it) St Anton & Warth are better. It is a nice place, worth taking the path route down to Zug from the bottom of Steinmähder easy but lovely views in the Zug valley (again lots of off piste but again accidents are not unknown infamous one when a Dutch royal died). I like the Lech variant of Madloch in good conditions you can hop around various hotel forecourts all the way back to the bus stop.

Dont stress about getting stuck in Lech (though agree more than enough in St Anton) the Postbuses run until around 19:00.

If the clouds come down around Galzig and Schindler (not uncommon) Rendl is often still clear & sunny.

Dont expect a dense network of interconnected lifts this is not 3V (or wherever the American in you video has been) do expect a good chance of the best snow and lots of challenge at whatever level you are looking for.

Make sure you have at least one visit to the Mooserwirt or Krazy Kangeruh though watch your skis & poles plus skiing down after lots of beer is best left for others making Youtube videos there are taxis.
latest report
fox15 wrote:

@skimastaaah your suggestions are pants and we’ll be doing the exact opposite!

Foxy, if you have a hire car drive round to Alpe Rauz, missing the queues at Galzig (usually busy) take the Flexenbahn up to Zurs and ski Trittkopf and Mugengrat first thing. (Best snow in the Arlberg) Then an easy ski to Zug from Madloch, and head across to Auenfeldjet and straight into Warth and Schrocken. Play around there a couple of hours (252/253 are nice) and head back to Lech stopping for a late lunch at Rud Alpe restaurant just above Lech town. Head back to Alpe Rauz by ski bus and flexenbahn, then home in the car (if you have one).

Naaah, don't do that, it's really a pants day out. Toofy Grin

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Tue 5-12-23 21:48; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
My view on getting to Warth is: depends on your objective. If it is to spend the maximum time there, then obviously the bus, or taxi, to Lech is the answer. If you would like to see the area, enjoy some cruisey piste skiing, ie the skiing equivalent of a road trip vs flying, then ski over. I absolutely enjoy doing the latter occasionally, but then I am in StA for a long time.

If you are going to ski over, get to the Galzigbahn for first lifts. You will usually get some lovely, all-but-deserted skiing on Valfagehr and Trittkopf, and often also on Madloch. You should arrive at the Sonnenjet in Warth around 10:30. Avoid doing it later, as those 3 runs become mayhem. Having arrived in Warth, follow your nose towards Warth itself, enjoying relaxed piste skiing - not every day do you have to audition for Red Bull FWT! Very Happy For lunch, head over to the bottom of the Saloberjet and the S1 restaurant: delicious food and great atmosphere. At that point, decide whether you want to ski out the day there, getting the last Auenfeldjet (don’t miss it!!!), and a bus or taxi from Lech, or whether you will retrace your steps and ski back, via Ruffikopf (you cannot return via Madloch).
latest report
@skimastaaah, From St.Anton I'd say drive on to Zürs instead of parking at Alpe Rauz...To avoid the skibus ór the Flexenbahn-downloading....) Puzzled
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy