Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Chrismas skiing in Italian Dolomites?

Poster: A snowHead
Hi everyone!

I'm planning a skiing trip to Val Gardena and considering dates right before Christmas, December 20th to 25th. My main concern is the snow consistency during this time. Has anyone skied in Val Gardena or the general Dolomites area around these dates in previous years? Would appreciate any insights regarding snow quality and coverage.

Thanks in advance!
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The snow making means the area will be open and the SR will be open. whether the hills will be white all over is another matter.
snow in the Alps is variable and unpredictable these dYlays.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Welcome to Snowheads, @interskidient. Do you have specific accommodation in mind? It's not long till Christmas and the choice will be getting smaller. The Dolomites is probably one of the safer bets, so early in the season, because of the extensive snow-making.
snow conditions
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Not sure what you mean by consistency, but extensive snowmaking will mean many kms of trails are open. They aim to open the Sella Ronda some time in early December. If you want steep and deep, fluffy champagne powder off-piste, that is very unlikely, but you may get lucky.

Looking at the webcams at the moment, it looks like winter has arrived with over 2 feet of natural snow on the Sella Pass. Excluding a really mild spell in the coming weeks, that bodes well for things looking pretty for an early season trip.

They hold the FIS World Cup races in Val Gardena the weekend before Xmas, so as Pam says you will need to get accommodation booked soon if not already done so.
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
It will be 90+% open with 100% certainty. It is high and dry so the snow should be good, it might be a bit hard in the shadowy bits.
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
interskidient wrote:
Hi everyone!

I'm planning a skiing trip to Val Gardena and considering dates right before Christmas, December 20th to 25th. My main concern is the snow consistency during this time. Has anyone skied in Val Gardena or the general Dolomites area around these dates in previous years? Would appreciate any insights regarding snow quality and coverage.

Thanks in advance!

One of the very best areas for snowmaking

Have a look at satellite photo on Googlemaps - shows runs open, with no snow anywhere else...

However, it's been snowing, and they've had cannon firing all over, including on the nursery slopes at the north side of the Selva village
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
@interskidient, you’ll have a great time. I’ve skied there at Christmas.

I’ve also skied another time when all around the ground was bare (like the view on Google maps) and the pistes were still perfect for cruising and carving due to best snowmaking, as others have said. None of that horrible granulated sugar.

It was weird taking skis off and walking 10m across grass to the restaurants at lunch! Worst that will happen is no off piste.

Where in Val G are you looking to stay? (Selva gets my vote.)
latest report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
You only have to look at the webcams to see it is going to be a good start to the season Smile

https://www.valgardena.it/en/webcams/seceda-live/

As I type it is -4.2C on the Seceda with Canons blowing....

latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Was working in Arabba 5 winters ago (seems like yesterday so just scared myself a little). Had one of my top 10 powder days on boxing day, you know the type of thing where by the time you're back at the top of the lift you tracks are gone?

But yes, as others have all said, the snow and piste making is the best I've ever experienced, so the skiing will be average at worst! That time is actually also pretty quiet compared to pretty much the rest of the season, zero people waiting at lifts and not uncommon to be the only group in sight too.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
we did a few years skiing the week before christmas and they made every effort to get the piste open and make the Sella Ronda skiable

Our trips were around the time of the ski world cup being in the area so it was an important time for the ski area to be fully open.

I dont know if they still do it, but we enjoyed the Gourmet SKi Safari available pre christmas, where you bought a ticket and went to different mountain huts for a small plate and glass of matched wine from the local Michelin starred chefs
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Thank you so much for your detailed and helpful responses! Your insights have made me even more excited about my upcoming trip to Val Gardena. I've never skied in Italy before.

I'm considering a skiing plan and would love your thoughts on it. My idea is to spend 3 days skiing in Val Gardena, focusing on specific areas: Skiing the Sellaronda, exploring Seceda, taking on the Lagazuoi run, and trying out La Longia.
1. Do you think this is a manageable for a 3-day trip? I'm an intermediate skier and can ski blacks but no offpiste and slow on moguls.
2. Are there any other runs or areas in Val Gardena that you would highly recommend for someone with my skill level?
3. How are the après-ski options in these areas? Any particular spots you would recommend for a good evening after a day on the slopes?
ski holidays
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
interskidient wrote:
Thank you so much for your detailed and helpful responses! Your insights have made me even more excited about my upcoming trip to Val Gardena. I've never skied in Italy before.

I'm considering a skiing plan and would love your thoughts on it. My idea is to spend 3 days skiing in Val Gardena, focusing on specific areas: Skiing the Sellaronda, exploring Seceda, taking on the Lagazuoi run, and trying out La Longia.
1. Do you think this is a manageable for a 3-day trip? I'm an intermediate skier and can ski blacks but no offpiste and slow on moguls.
2. Are there any other runs or areas in Val Gardena that you would highly recommend for someone with my skill level?
3. How are the après-ski options in these areas? Any particular spots you would recommend for a good evening after a day on the slopes?

La Longia is in Seceda area so you can do all that together and still have time to explore the other side of the Val Gardena valley, Sasslong is popular. To put it into perspective we are not fast skiers but can ski the SR and also take a detour through Seceda to ski La Longia once or (maybe) twice all in the same day. It's our favourite run, I prefer it to the hidden valley.

You can also ski the SR and Lagazoui/hidden valley in the same day but you probably want to set off as soon as the lifts open just in case there are delays. (Rather than ski the direct route from Arabba to Corvara, or visa versa, you detour over to the Alta Badia area to access the Taxi at Armentarola).

Save a day for exploring Val Gardena, it's a beautiful area and you don't need to rush everywhere. Alternatively you might see an area you like the look of when doing the SR so you can return there. the SR is effectively a ski route that just joins other areas together. Arabba is the opposite corner of the SR but is probably the best for black runs. If you're feeling adventurous you can do the Marmalada glacier from Val Gardena (via Arabba).
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
interskidient wrote:

1. There's way more in the linked Sella Ronda area than you can cover in 3 days. All those trips are doable if you're a fit intermediate, you don't get lost and the lift lines aren't crazy. Before Xmas should be OK for crowds. After Xmas and New Year is when it goes crazy busy.

As others have said you can do Seceda and La Longia at the same time, you get to the top of Seceda and drop off the shoulder down La Longia towards Ortisei. If the line at the lift back up isn't huge, you can repeat. Then you can play on the front face at Seceda. Lots of nice huts in the sunny bowl, Baita Daniel has a spectacular terrace if it's sunny.

Lagazuoi 'Hidden Valley' is definitely worth doing on a clear day. It takes a bit of commitment and good navigation skills to get there and back from Selva. The bit above Corvara is where you can get lost, so be sure of your route.

If it's your first time, the Sella Ronda box needs to be ticked. It can feel like you're on a racetrack with hudreds of others, but the scenery is spectacular. There are 2 choices clockwise or anti-clockwise. I know someone who managed both in a day, but that would be pushing it. There is potential to do some side trips off it, the Edelweiss Valley, up Vallon, over to La Villa for the Gran Risa, linger around Arabba, up to Sass Pordoi for the views...or even a trip up the Marmolada for the views and thigh burning run down, though that would be pushing it from Selva.

Staying in Selva puts you in the best position for the above. If you are further down the valley at S Cristina or Ortisei, that will slow you down as you'll need a bus or more skiing to get up to Selva and back again.

2. You will cover a lot in Val Gardena on the above trips. From Dantercepies back to Selva, make sure you take the black Cir, it's barely steeper than the red, but has amazing views across to the Sassolungo. The mens downhill Saslong is a good thigh burner, you will likely do that on the way over to Seceda.

3. The Tyrolean style Apres in Val Gardena tends to be late afternoon as people end their ski day, if you fancy dancing in ski boots to cheesy Europop. On mountain at Piz Seteur, they have the gogo dancers on Tues and Thurs which attracts a crowd in season. La Stua is usually lively at the end of the ski day. In the evening, Luislkeller gets busy.

4. A rider on all the above is you need sunny clear weather to appreciate the views on the longer trips. If the weather's bad/snowing you will need to stay local on the tree runs around Selva & Plan de Gralba. There may be enforced closure of the Sella Ronda if the winds are high, in which case you will need to rethink. Lagazuoi/Hidden Valley, Marmolada or any other high point will be a complete waste of time if you find yourself in the cloud.

Let us know how you get on! Cool

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Fri 24-11-23 11:53; edited 1 time in total
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Keep an eye on the info boards at the bigger lifts.
They show that the circuits are open or not due to wind etc.
If they start going from green to amber it's a good idea to be heading back to area you started. rolling eyes
We have got stuck in Selva in the past trying to get back to Arabba.
It was morning so we went for lunch and by the time we came out things had reopened in one direction. No taxi needed. Very Happy
I don't think it happens often but just keep an eye on things.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
A few YouTube vids to whet your appetite...

This local hotelier has a great channel, he did the Lagazuoi 'Hidden Valley'. His start point is in the Badia Valley, so the middle part is relevant, but the start and end would be a bit different from Val Gardena...

http://youtube.com/v/Wpf8xXeItNA

He did the clockwise (Orange) Sella Ronda and Marmolada, a long day! It looks like he started and finished in Corvara...

http://youtube.com/v/3nLhW8XXtmg

His ski content is mostly around the Dolomites, worth watching!

Another YouTuber doing the Orange Sella Ronda starting/finishing in Selva with a side trip to the Gran Risa above La Villa...

http://youtube.com/v/gFDPz4NMGQs

This German does the anti-clockwise (Green) Sella Ronda from Selva...

http://youtube.com/v/Qc3yl_hY81Y

Last edited by Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name: on Fri 24-11-23 19:20; edited 1 time in total
snow conditions
@luigi, Clockwise/anticlockwise in a day from Selva is not a problem. Did it last March, even with a detour around Corvara (the blue fest) and Colfosco on the return. I get on the 8:30 Nives drag as it opens (stayed right next to it in the Acadia) to beat any queues at Dantercepies

Even had a 40min lunch with OH at top of Ciampinoi. The run down from there to start the aniticlockwise is probably the trickiest part of the circuit either way when mogulled up, though I missed the alternative. I think there's been some work on pistes in that area - widening/another route - (piste 5 and 6 are mentioned) as it can be quite messy

There are few queues - I skied alone so no hanging about...

Didn't do hidden valley last year - seemed a bit far to go and a hassle. Also La Longia is great nonstop, but the top cable car back had a 30 min queue
ski holidays
@buchanan101, early start...March...no queues...no hanging about...would be the key points there Cool

Funny that, the Hidden Valley and back would be less distance than the Sella Ronda twice! Laughing

You were lucky, I've waited 50 mins at the Seceda cable car in Feb HT! Shocked
latest report
luigi wrote:
@buchanan101, early start...March...no queues...no hanging about...would be the key points there Cool

Funny that, the Hidden Valley and back would be less distance than the Sella Ronda twice! Laughing

You were lucky, I've waited 50 mins at the Seceda cable car in Feb HT! Shocked

Very doable though given favourable circumstances...also it was on a day with mogulled pistes by 10am as it had been warm overnight and they hadn't frozen.

Hidden valley - isn't there lots of queuing and waiting for horses (plus the gondola back up from San Cassiano). I was on the way also to the glacier one day, but when I saw that cranky old 2 man chair...weather permitting will do both this year. Are the other lifts over that way slow ones (there are a couple of new lifts somewhere over there this year I think)?

That Seceda cable car is a bit of a bummer - there's not much else they could do there given the geography but you are a bit stuck. Do buses link with the bottom of the run?

Sella Ronda really is great though - quite unlike any other area anyway; the slightly daft pathways and lifts to make it a circuit
snow report
buchanan101 wrote:

That Seceda cable car is a bit of a bummer - there's not much else they could do there given the geography but you are a bit stuck. Do buses link with the bottom of the run?

Once you reach the end of the La Longia run from the top of Seceda down to the gondola station in Ortisei/St. Ulrich rather than go back up and possibly hit a long queue at the cable car at the top of the gondola you can instead take the set of escalators from the gondola building down to the centre of Ortisei town and there's a bus service (line no. 350) goes from the market square back through St.Christina to Selva.
ski holidays
@interskidient, if you like to explore, then for a 3-day trip I would recommend:

Day 1: Val Gardena Ronda anti-clockwise (Sasslong to St Cristina, Col Raiser, Seceda, La Longia, across Ortisei, Alpe di Siusi, bus to Monte Pana, Mont de Seura, Selva
Tour map here:
https://www.valgardena.it/dl/stchristina/pdf/val-gardena-ski-ronda.pdf

Day 2: Sella Ronda (whichever direction you prefer)

Day 3: Depending on what takes your fancy, either:
- Super8, Cinque Torri, Lagazuoi, Hidden Valley and back; or
- Marmolada via Arabba; or
- just ski more of the Val Gardena area, which is superb and would be my recommendation
(the first of these two alternatives require an early start!)

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Wed 29-11-23 3:28; edited 1 time in total
snow report
@interskidient, more info in this thread about the Val Gardena Ronda tour and how to navigate across Ortisei.

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=162766&highlight=

snow report
@scrunch77 is the Val Gardena Ronda that good? I didn't do it last March as there's 3 areas of faffing about not skiing - the funicular, the escalators/walk and the bus. Meant I didn't do SeiserAlm (though did La Longia)

Actually it may be just as quick as waiting 30mins for the cable car bag up from La Longia, plus the funicular a second time...

I'm sold!
latest report
@buchanan101, I guess it depends on one’s likes/dislikes. For me, any faff is outweighed by:
- I like a tour, particularly a circular one
- Ortisei is a nice town and the walk is mitigated by a travelator and escalator (after which turn right at St Antonio church up the pedestrianised street and over the footbridge) and I’ve always walked straight onto the Mont Sëuc gongola
- Alpe di Siusi/Seiser Alm ski area is quieter
- lunch at Gostner Schwaïge is always a pleasure (Ladin culture)
- snow park at Laurin if you have time
- speed trap at Goldknopf
- bus ride on snowy track through forest from Saltria to Monte Pana is novel (cash only)
- if you start and finish at Selva you take in fabulous runs: Sasslong, La Longia, Goldknopf and Florian at Alpe di Siusi (which have good side piste in fresh snow), Alpha (at Monte Pana, no-one on it), and Ciampinoi
snow report
interskidient wrote:

I've been twice in your dates in December and both times it has been excellent. This year is looking promising too, plenty of snow making so far, some natural snow fallen and some more on the way, cold forecast for the next week too.

You'll have a great time. If you haven't skied the area before, you'll be amazed by the slope preparation. Everything gets bashed every night. If you discover a mogul in the Dolomites pre-Christmas, you should capture it and call the Royal Society.

The runs in Val Gardena are excellent and under utilised in my opinion. People staying in Val Gardena, tend to head off round the ronda, those coming from other valleys tend shoot through from one side to the other. The runs on the Ciampinoi / Sasslong side are a bit steeper. The Dantercepies are more gentle but are my favorites. Particularly towards the end of the day.

Seceda is decent but for me, in three days, you should spend some time in Alta Badia, Arabba and Selva. Arabba has some excellent reds and blacks. You could tie in a clockwise ronda with a Seceda afternoon, sunset is nice up there.

For drinking, I like to finish the day with the last lift up from Dantercepies and have a scoop or two at Panorama bar until closing. They do a special schnapps, Bauern (Farmers') Tequilla, served with a slice of speck and some horseradish. You can then ski down a brilliant empty piste right into Selva. After that, where to continue depends on you taste. For a Germanic vibe and traditional austro-pop ski-schlager music Krone Stube (gentle) and LuisKeller (louder). La Stua is decent too. Saltos for a more Italian vibe, pose with the Ski Instructors, quaffing Franciacorta and prosciutto behind your Carrera sunglasses. There's also the 'Irish Pub' called Greens. This used to be excellent, great music and even a segregated smoking section but the renovations have ruined the character. Though it's the only place to go if you want to get your snout round a few stout.
ski holidays
"....They do a special schnapps, Bauern (Farmers') Tequilla..."

If you buy a couples of rounds and tip the servers, you might just get offered a Free tot !! Wink
latest report
@sean1967, agree about the runs in Arraba. Quite quiet. North facing in large part. Diametrically opposite Selva - probably quicker there clockwise? .
snow report
buchanan101 wrote:
@sean1967, agree about the runs in Arraba. Quite quiet. North facing in large part. Diametrically opposite Selva - probably quicker there clockwise? .

I'd say so. Early start at Dantercepies, hose down to Corvara, up Boe and you're almost there.
snow report
@interskidient, where will you be staying?
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
sean1967 wrote:
buchanan101 wrote:

I'd say so. Early start at Dantercepies, hose down to Corvara, up Boe and you're almost there.

The "hose" down to Corvara is a great start to the day - over 5kms
ski holidays
Thank you all again for the fantastic details. I'll be staying in Selva, and the forecast seems to be cloudy skies but mild winds for all three days. The plan is:

Day 1: Sella Ronda (SR) + Lagazuoi/Hidden Valley
Day 2: Val Gardena Ronda (I really want to visit Seceda and Alpi di Siusi)
Day 3: Revisit the preferred area from the previous days

A few (a lot Smile ) additional questions:
1. Weather Suitability: Is this plan feasible with cloudy weather conditions?
2. Ski Pass: Is the Dolomiti Super ski pass sufficient for all these areas?
3. Bus Schedule: Where can I find the bus timetable from Monte Pana to Saltria?
4. Navigation Tips: Which are the most challenging parts of these routes where I need to be extra cautious to avoid getting lost? I got lost once and it wasn't fun Toofy Grin
5. Accommodation: Are there any hostels in the area where I can meet other skiers?
6. Additional Ski Resorts: For a first-timer with two extra days in the week of Christmas (busy period, but seems to be sunnier weather), what other ski resorts in the area would you recommend? I'd love to visit 3 Cime di Lavaredo but Cortina might be expensive with chritmas week
snow report
@interskidient, you could do SR in both directions as it’s completely different.

Detours to the blue paradise above Corvara, the small area above Colfesco, and the reds and blacks above Arraba. Your day 3 does not need to be revisiting anywhere.
latest report
@interskidient, in answer:

1) I’ve not done Lagazuoi/Hidden Valley on a Sella Ronda day. From Selva, I’ve preferred to combine it with Cinque Torri/Super8 (doing CT/S8 first, then Lagazuoi) which can make it tight if fitting in a decent lunch (I recommend Rifugio Scoiattoli). Others will no doubt confirm if it’s feasible.
Cloud may spoil some of the majestic views, but provided it’s not a white-out it shouldn’t hamper you too much.

2) Yes. Indeed it’s essential for Sella Ronda/Lagazuoi/Alta Badia.

3) Saltria > Monte Pana (Bus Route 12)
https://www.seiseralm.it/media/0fe0349b-e9c0-4532-aa5a-950a0558db5c/aush-12-vs-w23-web.pdf
One-way trip: 5,00€, return ticket: 9,00€. All other tickets and ski passes are not valid! You can purchase the tickets directly on the buses and at the Automatic Ticket Distribution in Saltria.
More bus info for Alpe di Siusi/Seiser Alm:
https://www.seiseralm.it/en/info/getting-around/bus-service-taxi.html

4) Lagazuoi day: finding your way across Alta Badia to Armenterola and back.

5) Can’t comment.

6) From Selva, you can get to Cortina and back in a day via the new gondola link from the Super8 area!
ski holidays
Re: Val Gardena Ronda, it was discussed extensively in this thread:
https://www.snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=162766

I prefer to ski it anti-clockwise as I feel the runs are better in that direction, however that means you tackle the Monte Pana bus later in the day and as the buses aren’t frequent it can be a bit stressful if you start worrying whether you’ll make it round in time. For those of a more nervous disposition, the clockwise route might be better as you get the bus out of the way early and if you begin to have doubts about completing the circuit in time, then when you reach Ortisei you can jump on a bus to Selva instead of walking to the Seceda gondola and riding the gondola and cable car to Seceda and skiing via Santa Cristina.

EDIT: Sadly, don’t expect others to respect the queue for the Monte Pana bus. Park any tendency for politeness and get your elbows out.
snow conditions
This video may whet your appetite. Notice how relatively quiet the pistes are in the Super8 area. (Not sure if it’s got busier since the gondola link from Cortina opened). Also, the person doesn’t go all the way to Cortina despite the title of the video, but then he does start from Santa Christina.

http://youtube.com/v/84zROCFRbuM?feature=shared
snow conditions
@interskidient, This video is worth a watch too. The couple are based in Selva for the week. Day 3 they do Hidden Valley and Cortina. Day 4 they do Val Gardena Ronda anti-clockwise.

http://youtube.com/v/2D0nakv1fPY?feature=shared
latest report
@interskidient, I might be able to expand a bit on the answers you already have...

1. You will not be looking at an accurate forecast for the 20th-25th this early, it's 3 weeks away! Sunny & clear or broken cloud is obviously best for visibility, high cloud is OK, but low cloud and bad weather would hamper you, no point going high, you won't see anything, could get into a whiteout situation. Look for tree lined runs in bad weather. See point 4 of my earlier post

2. Yes, already answered, Dolomiti Superski covers everything you can get to. (see map below)

3. Already answered.

4. Already answered. If you're heading to the Hidden Valley, the section from Corvara across to Armentarola and back is a bit tricky. There are signposts, but easily missed.

5. Sorry, I don't know anything about hostels either. Have you not found somewhere to stay in Val Gardena yet?

6. There are lots of other resorts to ski in the region that are included on the Dolomiti Superski pass. It depends on your transport options. Would you need public transport or do you have a car? Cortina is stunning, but hotels aren't cheap. esp during holidays. It gets really busy after Xmas and over New Year, a lot of Italians take a ski holiday at this time.

There's no actual lift-served skiing at the Tre Cime di Lavaredo, they're tricky to access in winter and would need a guide and a long trek in snowshoes, though you can see them in clear weather from the frozen Lake Misurina and from a viewpoint on the road between Cortina and Dobbiaco.

The Tre Cime (Drei Zinnen in German, 3 Peaks in English) ski area is north of there. Again, it has a distant view of its namesake. It is a worthwhile area to visit if you can get there. Trains do run to Versciaco (Vierschach in German) at the northern end, if that helps!

https://www.bergfex.com/drei-zinnen-dolomiten/
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy