Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Verbier 4 Vallées 2023/2024

Poster: A snowHead
Temperatures have plummeted and the forecast is looking snowHead snowHead snowHead

Will we see an October opening…

Last years thread here: https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=161194

PlanetSKI do a good summary of what’s new. https://planetski.eu/2023/10/02/whats-new-in-verbier-for-next-winter-2/

Alas nothing to rival last years fab new Bruson lift. It’s opened up some amazing MTB this Summer.
Let’s hope we get to enjoy some early season cold smoke in the Bruson Forest…

Have a great season. Hope we get lots more days like this snowHead
https://www.instagram.com/reel/CcOOgMSIdWL/?igshid=MzRlODBiNWFlZA==
snow report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
OI!

@BobinCH, you cheeky scene-stealer!

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=165550

I already had a "thread" (OK, it's just 1 post) going
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
rungsp wrote:
OI!

@BobinCH, you cheeky scene-stealer!

https://snowheads.com/ski-forum/viewtopic.php?t=165550

I already had a "thread" (OK, it's just 1 post) going

Sorry didn’t see your post!
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
It's OK @BobinCH...yours has photos...much sexier
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
rungsp wrote:
It's OK @BobinCH...yours has photos...much sexier

Here’s a sexy photo. Mont Gelé already white in October

And lots more on the way
latest report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
The Ruinettes webcam is active again

https://www.teleport.io/view?feedId=zrrxhkayanlbdg8zudsm&view=full

With 25cm forecast on Thurs and similar over the weekend fingers crossed for a season opening in Lac des Vaux this weekend
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
That’s a very good forecast for early season base and November weekends skiing. Don’t forget to put your winter tyres on!!!
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Looks quite decent already in Lac des Vaux
snow conditions
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
30cm at Ruinettes in last 24hours, more higher.

They could open this weekend...will they?
No emails yet at my end (in UK!)
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
rungsp wrote:

They could open this weekend...will they?
No emails yet at my end (in UK!)

Nope
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@rungsp, could they really open? All required staff available? All kit tested and certified? Likelihood of it being a sensible move?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
under a new name wrote:
@rungsp, could they really open? All required staff available? All kit tested and certified? Likelihood of it being a sensible move?

They’ve opened in October before… And they should have opened today. It was all time for start Nov

http://youtube.com/v/jSyheubF4aU
latest report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
@BobinCH, nice! did you hit any rocks/sharks?
snow report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Nice one.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
kitenski wrote:
@BobinCH, nice! did you hit any rocks/sharks?

Hardly any. Snow is deeep for early Nov and another 50cm on the way this weekend. Best start for years
snow conditions
Another one from up at Attelas. Not bad for the first 10 turns of the season snowHead Although missus not impressed with the soundtrack Shocked

http://youtube.com/v/kN9vBwSJSy8
snow conditions
Mama mia another 50cm Shocked
ski holidays
@BobinCH, when you tour up to Attelas where do you set off from, Medran or somewhere around that sort of area, or can you drive up to somewhere like Carrefour and then head up?
snow report
swskier wrote:
@BobinCH, when you tour up to Attelas where do you set off from, Medran or somewhere around that sort of area, or can you drive up to somewhere like Carrefour and then head up?

That was from Carrefour as you can park there before the lofts open. During the season usually go from home via the Les Moulins beginner piste and Le Rouge
ski holidays
@BobinCH, nice, good fun. c.1000m of up?
latest report
swskier wrote:
@BobinCH, nice, good fun. c.1000m of up?

950m. Carrefour is 1750m to Attelas at 2700m. Add another 300 to go up to Mont Gelé
snow report
Dear Verbier experts Smile

Planning a short early season trip (3 days skiing) and considering Verbier ... for some reason I have it in my heads it's a more suitable resort for expert skiers, I wonder if someone could have a look at my requirements and let me know whether you think Verbier is a good option. 2 female skiers, early intermediate but we started late (both 50, learned in our 40s) and really want to improve. What the books describe as "true blue" skiers and a bit cautious of steeps and nasty-looking edges. Looking for brilliant and patient instructor and not too much faff getting to the slopes or getting around. Apres ski not very important although nice restaurants are always a bonus, budget is comfortable so don't need to look at the cheapest options.
snow report
@Soozm, Verbier is very good for good, off piste skiers, but it's also excellent for cruising reds and blues. It's easy to navigate and I'm sure someone can recommend a nice teacher or two.
snow report
@under a new name,
Quote:

It's easy to navigate

Unless they've drastically improved their signage since last I was there - admittedly quite a long time ago - no it isn't! I kept missing routes to important restaurants wink even though I'd previously worked a season there. Mind you, I do have a very poor sense of direction.
ski holidays
@Hurtle,
+1 I never have the first idea where I am in Verbier.

And St Gervais for that matter.
latest report
@HammondR, oh good, I'm glad it's not just me.
ski holidays
@Soozm, disclaimer, I haven't been, but the reason that I haven't been is that I always conclude that the blue run skiers in my usual group would have more fun elsewhere, that and the cost, and I can't see how it would be a good choice for you. The La Choux gondola, based on a very quick Google (happy to be corrected) doesn't allow you to download. This would mean that the La Choux blues were off limits to you unless you committed to the red back again. Apart from those, there don't appear to be many blues which aren't roads which are never that fun to ski. If I were I'd go elsewhere
latest report
@Soozm, great resort, superb lifts, town is very nice, however, imo its an off piste resort. I suspect there are better places for cruisy pistes (Cervinia for instance which will also be good early season), Dolomites, 3vs, maybe Obergurgl / Solden
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Thanks all.. I think I'll cross it off my shortlist (It's more a medium-long list at the moment!)
snow report
Soozm wrote:
Dear Verbier experts Smile

Planning a short early season trip (3 days skiing) and considering Verbier ... for some reason I have it in my heads it's a more suitable resort for expert skiers, I wonder if someone could have a look at my requirements and let me know whether you think Verbier is a good option. 2 female skiers, early intermediate but we started late (both 50, learned in our 40s) and really want to improve. What the books describe as "true blue" skiers and a bit cautious of steeps and nasty-looking edges. Looking for brilliant and patient instructor and not too much faff getting to the slopes or getting around. Apres ski not very important although nice restaurants are always a bonus, budget is comfortable so don't need to look at the cheapest options.

How early season? One of the big benefits of Verbier is that it opens earlier than most other resorts and opens more broadly with excellent piste preparation. Verbier typically attracts advanced skiers that want to ski the world class itineraries and off piste terrain and it’s fantastic for this. But we’ve also had many beginner / intermediate guests who’ve had a great time. The access up to the main easy slopes at Attelas / La Chaux is quick and easy and you can choose between North facing slopes at 2700m with guaranteed good quality snow in Lac des Vaux or sunny slopes down from 2450m into La Chaux (comment above about not being able to download from there is wrong). In addition there are some nice sunny slopes over on the Savoleyres side, especially Le Nord, and several easy North facing blue runs on the Le Tzoumaz side. For a sense of travel, get the Chassoure bubble down to Tortin and ski the lovely Tortin blue run and the wonderful (and easy) red back down from Plan de Fou. I wouldn’t bother going the other way towards the 4 Valleys unless you have a drag lift fetish. There is also the long and mainly easy Jumbo red run down from Col des Gentianes (avoid the first steep part by using the path that zigzags the piste). It is a big area so is probably not the easiest to navigate but the piste map is pretty clear and there are several big maps in key places and pretty much everyone speaks English if you get lost and need help. It has excellent mountain restaurants as well as plenty of good options in town. There are several reputable ski schools with lots of high quality English instructors. Verbier is an attractive, alpine village with an upmarket vibe and lots of wealthy Brits and Swedes. This seems to upset some people but I find it a pretty friendly place. Switzerland is expensive but Verbier is a high quality experience. Hope that helps
snow report
Other good reliable early season options are Tignes and Val Thorens (probably have more blue run skiing than Verbier) but longer, more complex transfers if it’s a short trip. I love the Courchevel pistes but not sure how quickly it opens up depending on your dates. Zermatt is wonderful and reliable snow being high but it’s longer journey by train and can be a bit brutal if it’s cold. Cervinia opens early and good piste cruising and Italian food but a soulless place compared with Zermatt.
ski holidays
@Soozm, if these dates work these Warren Smith has a very good reputation and this one accepts all levels
snow report
@Soozm, in terms of instructors, two I could recommend are both Warren Smith Ski Acadamey Instructors.

Rob Stanford is a great, I spent a week training with him.
Meg Sutherland is also great, particularly if you'd like a female instructor.

If you went for either of them, let me know and I'll message you, and get you to pass on my regards!
snow report
Heading to Verbier in early Feb - any recommendations for instructors who’d do a half day private off piste instruction/guiding for a snowboarder (or mixed ski/board group)? Looking for the Steve Angus of Verbier!
snow report
michebiche wrote:
Heading to Verbier in early Feb - any recommendations for instructors who’d do a half day private off piste instruction/guiding for a snowboarder (or mixed ski/board group)? Looking for the Steve Angus of Verbier!

Contact Andre and Roland @
https://www.independentsnowboarding.com/

They are nice guys and the fact that Xavier de le Rue sent his kids to them to learn snowboarding should tell you all you need to know wink
snow report
@BobinCH, thanks, I’ll check them out
snow report
I used a chap called Quentin Oyon from the Swiss Ski School for a day guiding/instruction off-piste a couple of years ago. He was very good.
latest report
Officially open from Friday snowHead
snow conditions
@BobinCH, Thank you so much! This is all so helpful and very tempting! My son went to La Tsoumaz with school and tells me it's not particularly difficult, but he is 13, very gung-ho, takes little notice of things that would scare me and has been skiing since he was tiny so I needed another opinion. Verbier as a resort sounds lovely. Will be weighing up the following - snow (obviously), transfer times, flight availability and instructors and will book when the forecasts come into view. Hoping to travel on 10th December. Our current long list is: Tignes, Obergurgl, Lech, Courchevel, Verbier. I really like the PdS but it won't be open in time.
snow report
@swskier, Thank you, they sound great!
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy