Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Bonneval sur Arc -- Info please?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi,

Does anyone have any info on this resort please? I'm tempted to book for the 2nd week of April (and of course pray to snow gods). The trip is potentially for our family 2x Intermediate adults, a 3 year old, and a 5 year old who are complete beginners. Primary purpose is to get them going so don't want to waste a big resort on this trip and looking for obvious reasons trying to get as snow sure as possible. Slight complication is two friends might tag along 1x beginner/intermediate and 1x intermediate/advanced.

The adults won't mind relaxed runs and lapping the same runs if they're good - cruisey blues and reds interspersed by refreshment stops will do nicely. However, its a little bit difficult to tell just how limited the terrain is. Second key question is ESF likely to properly cater for english speaking children or is it very much (understandbly if it is) french focused?
The attraction for me is everything is in very easy striking distance to minimise the inevitable faffing about e.g. ski school, lifts, piste, ski hire shop etc

Any other pointers or pearls of wisdom welcome.

Cheers
snow conditions
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I see the angle you're approaching this, albeit an unconventional one from typical recommended places, but cautiously would say it's OK for what you need.

Decent sized beginner and nursery area, chair access from village centre, then chair served on that plateau for the absolute beginner focused learning.

Further up to peak its drag lifts, with reasonable runs down for intermediate use, generally OK for improvement in piste confidence. It's not huge, but you know that, good variety for the cost of pass, very friendly, beautiful end of valley, great feeling being up there. Good food at decent cost too, very easy for families to spend day up and out on piste, I've not used ski school there to offer view.

I think all in, and with the outlook you've given, it would be genuinely good to go. That 1800 mtrs altitude for base is attractive too, we've visited late March usually. You get face to face (well quite close) to a big blue glacier trail out too Very Happy
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I like the drive up there too, seems to accumulate altitude very gently. Apart from a zig-zag at Termignon, its generally very easy with great views of the mountains and various features as you travel.

Nice experience in all.
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks for the feedback, very helpful!

Do you know when the season normally ends / starts running out of snow? (I realise this is anything but a normal year)

I initially found it coming from a snow suriety point of view, before today I knew the valley was there but this specific place had never come up on my radar. My thinking now is that the money saved on compromises in other areas on somewhere like VT / Tignes etc could be spent on a private instructor for the kids. I thought all my dreams had come true for convience of ski school drop off and collection but have since realised the beginner beginner area is Pre du vars not Pierre Fendue. In my head Les Gets is the best resort I've seen for family logisitics but don't want to risk the snow for the 2nd week of April there.

P.s. I'm secretly hoping for a late dump and then I can take my board and explore the off piste which sounds interesting. However, that's the cherry on the top I'll be very happy pootling about on skis for the week.

Thanks
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have never been there during the ski season but the resort is at the head of the valley on the main Alpine ridge , it will be as about sure snow as you can get in this part of the world . To get a good comparison compare it to Le Fornet area at Vdi
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
Also considering for the same reasons as you, OP. I've been once before, at Easter, and it's lovely, very picturesque, and you can have a day down in Val Cenis too, which is great in the late season as almost all dead north facing.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Obviously unsure of snowfall at any point, and particularly this season @All the gear...no idea!, but if there's anywhere that the possibility is high, then this location is right up there.

Walked between the buildings in old village late March at aggregated 1st floor levels Very Happy it has enviable record. Also when there, the slopes up on plateau hadn't been affect by melt, freeze, melt, just squeaky snow piste or off piste. This year certainly hard to read snow wise, but reasonable bet to take board in prep of getting some good conditions.

The lower two infant slopes, we didn't use as our two were 9 &12 first visited. My comments on teaching up the hill based on seeing ski school groups up there as its all centred round the cafè etc with green Pedrix run etc. So can't offer direct experience of lower two sites in use. I will say they are literally right there in village though and so easy to get to. Perhaps saw the graduation groups up the mountain mid week when there, and using green return run to village, that's a very gentle meander back down though, so fairly realistic for early skills too.

In comparison to Les Gets reference, I'd not say it's worse as that depends on where you stay in LG for getting minis to the snow.

I wouldn't say it should swing the decision either way in going to BsA.

Presume driving to get there, it's the easiest 1800 mtrs you'll get to and hardly notice the climb really, after VC you pass through a whole cross country village on the alluvial plateau in high valley, its a broad and sunny aspect right across there and coming up from Modane past mountain monastery, the route that Hannibal took with elephants etc, it's like travelling through a history and geography class Very Happy

About 30mins drive back to VC if you want a day out there.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Oh, and blue piste right from 3000 mtr too, high, wide and beautiful Very Happy

Did I mention cake? There's good cakes too and general Patisserie range.
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I am now really keen to go back there Smile
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ha you're all selling it me. Thanks for the info Rob, Robert and Ski3.

Flights not yet booked but will get them to either Geneva, Grenoble or Chamberry. Can't seem to find decent flights to Turin. Hire car/van from there to resort. We drive to France semi regularly so that's not totally off the cards but flying is the preference this time. Most likely is LBA:GVA.

Any more wisdom welcome.

Thanks
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Yes, I'd definitely opt for flying. Might be better off looking at eg BA from major hubs, rather than the budget airlines. I found BA cheaper for that week, at least from London. If you can get to Stansted, you might have better, cheaper options from there?
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
If flying into Italy (might be same in France, not sure).... you will need chains in your boot of your hire car till 15 April. This can push the price of a hire car up a lot, cos not all operators include them/ offer them as an option, mysteriously....Plus, if driving from IT to FR you have to pay the really expensive toll for the Frejus tunnel. It looks to be about 65 eur return
snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Cheers.

Car hire is including winter tyres. My understanding it's winter tyres and/or chains, is that right?

Will double check BA from London hubs and Swiss Air (they've been good for me in the past and from memory include ski carriage) but preference is a northern airport for overall travel time.
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
For completeness and in case it's useful for anyone else...

We had a great week in Bonneval and pretty much did exactly what we needed. The ski area is very small but we had great conditions and by the time we'd finished ski school logistics didn't have much time for anything more than a quick blast anyway.

Ski school was good

Thanks for all the pointers.
ski holidays
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
There is some extremely good off piste, especially for advanced off piste skiers. When we spend a week in the valley we always spend a day there. Nice old village too.
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy