Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Gluten free skiing in Austria

Poster: A snowHead
Hi,
we''re thinking of a a week in Austria next year. One potential issue is that I can't eat Gluten.

So as anyone been to Austria skiing with someone who has a gluten intolerance ? if so did it work out ok ? do most of the people working in the tourist industry speak good enough English to discuss this? are the menu's clearly labelled ?

thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@richb67, my friend took a printout to show if necessary but everyone understood the requirement
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Yes - I am & have been a few times
Yes - broadly there was always something except one hotel that didn’t offer any choices for dinner
Yes - they know and understand difference between allergy and intolerance in English but have it in google translate ymmv
No - you need to ask but generally chips and goulash are gf in Austria ime so you’d be unlucky if there’s nothing
Gf better in Italy ime but a small sample- even found gf beer in one hotel
In supermarkets looks for aisles labelled ‘bio’..
ski holidays
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
I don't have a gluten intolerance, but my partner has a different food intolerance, albeit one that's easier to identify, so I have some idea. Speaking English isn't a problem, especially in tourist areas. It helps that the German word for gluten is “Gluten” and gluten free is “Glutenfrei” (pronounced like “fry”). Allergen codes are usually on the front or back page of the menu, though I think they're standardised anyway, or just ask if not.

Bio is more like organic, and not necessarily gf, but may be more likely to have gf in the range. Larger supermarkets and bio retailers like Dennes are pretty accommodating these days.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
thanks everyone,
@Wildsmith, yes we normally got to Italy and it's generally excellent, we found France hit and miss so i wanted to check re Austria as we've only ever stopped en route

one more question, were their typically GF snacks available ? In Italy most places will have at least one GF cake to go with my morning cappuccino or afternoon hot chocolate Very Happy
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
All the hotels I've stayed in in the past 10 years or so accommodate food intolerances, all you need do is ask.

fav hotel...
https://www.goldener-adler.at/en/gluten-free/
snow report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Gf snacks - on mountain I have not found them but in town coffee houses the odd time (torte caprese should be gf) - I wouldn’t bank on it! Please share if u find somewhere!!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Bob wrote:
All the hotels I've stayed in in the past 10 years or so accommodate food intolerances, all you need do is ask.

fav hotel...
https://www.goldener-adler.at/en/gluten-free/
yum
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
I have been diagnosed with gluten intolerance 18 months ago. Since that I went skiing (in Austria) to St. Anton, Mayrhofen and Saalbach.
And I plan to return ito Austria every winter n spite of less than optimal GF options because the skiing and the apres are the main thing and they are awesome.
If food is that important, Italy is a better choice.
Almost everybody understands gluten frei and coeliac.
You can find gluten freed bread/muesli and some desert snacks in supermarkets and pharmacy chains. I always buy Sneakers and soft cereal bars for midday short breaks or late evening cravings.
Inform your hotel in advance and ask for bread and breakfast cereals.
No GF pastries/cakes, sometimes some packed dry biscuits/muffin if lucky.
No gluten free beer in restaurants/pubs (in France you can sometimes find Brasserie de Mont Blanc). I usually couldn't find it in supermarkets as well.
Burger joints and restaurants don't have GF buns, bring from home if it's important.
Many times the fries are made in the same chipser with onion rings and schnitzels.
Very few deserts other than ice cream or fruit salad.
Some places have GF pasta, ask the waiter to check the sauce has no flour and that the pasta is boiled in fresh water and in a clean pot. You'll be surprised. Confused
In Mayrhofen our 4 stars half board hotel served gnocchi that was supposed to be GF. Well it wasn't and they apologised the next day. So I learned to go for vegetables for side dish
Goulash soups and other soups frequently have flour inside for thickening, clear soups are fine but they usually serve them with shredded pancakes/dumplings which are sometimes boiled inside and they offer to take them out for you. Skullie
Most places don't have GF pizza and not all sausages are GF.
The half board hotels have decent buffet and meat options.
Again, the skiing is so good that everything else is insignificant.
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
You will get by, but not expect anything fancy or substitute gluten free schnitzel.
Other half has a gluten problem. She still insists on eating certain things knowing the pain that will follow!

Seems lots of people have Gluten intolerance. Probably not as highly recognised as it should be.
Probably more are effected than those who choose to be vegan or vegetarian.

She struggles with the alternatives. ie GF Bread does not taste like bread, etc.
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
@richb67, You wont have a problem, if anything i'd say the Austrians are more diet aware than UK hotels/ restaurants, all is well marked on menu's and hotels are very accommodating.
snow conditions
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
thanks everyone, sounds like I can work around it for a week

drporat wrote:
Again, the skiing is so good that everything else is insignificant.

that really depends upon on how it affects you ! I can ski if I get a very small amount as a one off but I'm not doing anything for a few days if I get a plate of pasta that isn't GF Sad
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
I’d echo @Markymark29’s comments. In the seven years that we’ve lived in Austria, there’s been quite a ‘boom’ in GF options. Most restaurants have reasonably decent options and the larger supermarkets now have a good range of products to chose from.

Small snack huts or Jausen type places tend not to have so many options.

Coeliac dietary requirements are, from what I’ve seen, a much harder issue to deal safely with, when eating out.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Cacciatore, my personal experience in the above mentioned resorts was somewhat different. Yes, there's always something to eat and you can always have the most expensive dish which is the steak etc. but sometimes you wish to choose something else for costs reasons or company.
And a cold beer is something you are usually left longing for. Or a decent sweet dessert
Italy is better in this aspect but still no GF Perroni in bars and restaurants, just in Marco Polo airport right at arrivals.
In Israel for example most places have GF buns for burgers and dedicated deep oil fryers, most Italian profile restaurants are serving GF pasta. But no real skiing conditions.
@richb67, it affects all coeliacs but more important is the permanent damage due to all the repeated exposure. So I try to avoid it unless we're talking about kaiserschmern. A man should draw his line after all Little Angel
snow report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
I stayed in the Hotel Schwarzer Adler in St Anton half-board in January and the gluten free options were fabulous, including the bread. A couple of times I asked were they sure the rolls were gluten free as they were so good. Anyone else eating the meals I was presented with would have had no idea they were gluten free.
latest report
@rdk, good to know.
OTH do you remember the costs? It's one of the most expensive and luxurious hotels in St. Anton.
GF bread for breakfast is usually not the problem, as I mentioned before.
I am usually aiming for B&B options and 3 stars hotels, having dinner in town
latest report
Quote:

having dinner in town

@drporat, that's not all that easy these days, lots of places in StA closed in lockdown and never reopened, pre-booking essential nowadays for evenings unless you want to eat really late......that said all the places we eat in town have clear menu's regards gluten etc, and i'm sure the 3 star Pensions will get GF bread rolls and cereals etc if requested. Never been in Schwarzer Adler but always looks a tad OTT for my liking, same as Hotel Post, Alte Post, Sport Hotel, Arlberg etc. Those big rambling places offer great service I'm sure but with a pricetag.
snow conditions
@Markymark29, exactly. You pay your money and you make your choices.
For 2 persons, the only place I made an early reservation was El Fuego, the others were reasonable.
ski holidays
@drporat, I paid about 200 euro a night for a single room when staying for a week. Looking at the menu board outside one night I think the same set menu that was provided for HB guests was about 80 euro if you walked in. But it was exquisite food, with three choices entree & main. I think whatever choice I took each night they provided it gluten free, which is highly, highly unusual. Anyway, fabulous hotel.
snow conditions
@rdk, many thanks. It is an exquisite place indeed.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy