Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Day trip to Oslo?

Poster: A snowHead
I also don’t care for all that handwringing about the carbon footprint.

If the whole trip is done on public transport, planes, trains and buses. The extra carbon footprint of an additional passenger on those public transport is minuscule.
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
boarder2020 wrote:
2 hours each way on a plane.
1 hour each way on the train.
For a couple of hours cross country skiing?
That's even if you don't include time sitting around at the airport, waiting for trains etc.

Nothing about this plan seems "reasonable", unless you enjoy the travel to and from skiing bit more than the skiing itself.

Seems very reasonable to me! Go for it, I say. You only live once, so make the most of it! Very Happy Very Happy
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Did a day trip to Chamonix from Gatwick about 20 years ago.

6am flight out of Gatwick, 5 hours skiing in Chamonix. Back to Geneva, flight home to Gatwick and back in my own bed by 11pm.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
mikeycharlton wrote:
Did a day trip to Chamonix from Gatwick about 20 years ago.

6am flight out of Gatwick, 5 hours skiing in Chamonix. Back to Geneva, flight home to Gatwick and back in my own bed by 11pm.

Very Happy Very Happy
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
I have a decision to make…

Killington, which is 4 hrs away (by car), still have lots of snow on one of its signature trails. And a few neighboring trails are also open. Report from people skiing last weekend hints it could be quite good this weekend. For a few hours each day, that is.

I can drive for 4 hrs, ski for 3-4, and drive back. All in a day’s work. Do I go? (Skiing both days is an option, but it requires I cancel a previous obligation, leaving others at a lurch)

Normally, I only travel if the skiing time is no less than the travel time. However, this is a kind of special circumstance. The condition “corn snow” is only available in late spring time. And it always only last for a few hours of the day. So even if I stay for both days, I could only ski the few hours when condition are good on both days. So it’s not like I can ski more hours by staying overnight.

If I don’t go, there’s no much to do at home. It’s still unpleasantly cold to bike/kayak.
ski holidays
 You'll need to Register first of course.
Go! Sometimes the math needs to be considered, then ignored, and this looks like one of 'em to me.

One caveat: sometimes there can be long lines in such situations, which can be a buzz kill. I don't know Killington but you do.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Scooter in Seattle wrote:
Go! Sometimes the math needs to be considered, then ignored, and this looks like one of 'em to me.

One caveat: sometimes there can be long lines in such situations, which can be a buzz kill. I don't know Killington but you do.

Lines are usually not much of a problem. It’s a high speed quad.

Besides, when it’s warm and sunny, there’s a party atmosphere in the line too. It just doesn’t feel long.
Moreover, the main attraction is a long bump run (the bumps get bigger as the day progress Laughing ). So legs need rest.
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
At one time the TO ski trains would have reps on them, usually students based in London. They would take the train on Friday and accompany guests to resort, ski four hours then come back in the evening. And get paid for it. A long Saturday but when you are young.
snow report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Quote:

Put another way, if you don’t fancy it, you could have just ignore it. But instead you commented, in a tone of total ignorant. So why are you upset that I counter your comment?

Maybe "unreasonable" comes across differently in USA. It's a fairly mild comment imo. I didn't say the idea was "stupid" or anything particularly strong. Meh, I thought the point of forums was expressing opinions. Mine still is the faff is not worth it, but I accept others may disagree.
snow conditions
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads

Buzz kill! That's something we don't have in the UK. It just doesn't exist and is almost meaningless here (though we can guess what it means) Very Happy Very Happy I think we would prefer the more traditional "downside" in your sentence wink .

On a separate note, do you use "faff" in the USA? Puzzled
latest report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
abc wrote:
I have a decision to make…

Killington, which is 4 hrs away (by car), still have lots of snow on one of its signature trails. And a few neighboring trails are also open. Report from people skiing last weekend hints it could be quite good this weekend. For a few hours each day, that is.

I can drive for 4 hrs, ski for 3-4, and drive back. All in a day’s work. Do I go? (Skiing both days is an option, but it requires I cancel a previous obligation, leaving others at a lurch)

Normally, I only travel if the skiing time is no less than the travel time. However, this is a kind of special circumstance. The condition “corn snow” is only available in late spring time. And it always only last for a few hours of the day. So even if I stay for both days, I could only ski the few hours when condition are good on both days. So it’s not like I can ski more hours by staying overnight.

If I don’t go, there’s no much to do at home. It’s still unpleasantly cold to bike/kayak.

Of course you should go! Very Happy But couldn't you stay the night up there and ski for 7 hours (if the lifts allow it - with early closing over there) rather than 3 hours? Puzzled
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Bergmeister, it means "bummer" or "downer". The "buzz" in this context is excitement or fun, neither of which standing in lift lines is at least for me. And no, we don't use "faff". I only know of it from this site.

Since we have the thesaurus out: I see a thread for "forthcoming" SH events. We'd say "upcoming". Forthcoming is not incorrect in this context, but over here it is typically used to describe whether a person is willing to speak without being compelled to.

...none of which has the slightest relation to a Day trip to Oslo! Very Happy
ski holidays
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Bergmeister wrote:

Of course you should go! Very Happy But couldn't you stay the night up there and ski for 7 hours (if the lifts allow it - with early closing over there) rather than 3 hours? Puzzled

The restriction isn’t the time the lift is running. It’s the condition is only good for a few hours this time of year. Particularly (because the snow is soft due to the temperature), the trail turn into field of giant bumps in the afternoon. On the one hand, giant soft bumps are great fun to ski. On the other hand, it’s quite demanding on the quads. So regardless of what time I start, at some point my legs will be dead from sliding over those giant bumps! And that typically happens after 3-4 hours at most.

The good news is, I’ve managed to discharge my obligation on Sunday (actually, situation changed that I’m no longer obligated). So I MAY just stay the night and have another 3-4 hours on the 2nd day.

That almost make it the even ski-time = travel time. (If I stay and ski the 2nd day).

Skis in the car, boots in the car. It’s a go! snowHead snowHead snowHead

Last edited by So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much on Sat 6-05-23 3:00; edited 2 times in total
ski holidays
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
Bergmeister wrote:

Buzz kill! That's something we don't have in the UK. It just doesn't exist and is almost meaningless here (though we can guess what it means) Very Happy Very Happy I think we would prefer the more traditional "downside" in your sentence wink .

On a separate note, do you use "faff" in the USA? Puzzled

“Buzz”: Excitement. So “Buzz kill” kills the excitement. Rather literally, if the lift lines are truly long, it does kill the rhythm.

We don’t use ‘faff’. It wouldn’t be understood here. We typically use ‘fuss’. But my impression of ‘faff’ is excessive fussing? Toofy Grin If so, there isn’t an equivalent word for it here in American English.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
abc wrote:
But my impression of ‘faff’ is excessive fussing?

it is something middle aged English men do. You get your skis on and Fred needs a piss and rather than just doing it on the edge of the piste has to find a toilet, which he does in a cafe. At that point Bill has ordered a pain o'chocolat and had to finish that before you leave. Then wozza discovered he's left his lift pass in the car. Then pongo finds his boots don't fit in his bindings and has to return to the ski hire shop. By the time that is sorted they all want to stop for a cup of tea.
snow conditions
davidof wrote:
abc wrote:

it is something middle aged English men do. You get your skis on and Fred needs a piss and rather than just doing it on the edge of the piste has to find a toilet, which he does in a cafe. At that point Bill has ordered a pain o'chocolat and had to finish that before you leave. Then wozza discovered he's left his lift pass in the car. Then pongo finds his boots don't fit in his bindings and has to return to the ski hire shop. By the time that is sorted they all want to stop for a cup of tea.

Ha, we have those too. I call 'em "people I don't ski with". Through painful experience I've found a pretty efficient way to identify them before they can do much damage: arrange to meet for the first chair in the morning. Those who show up generally have their act together, didn't get too hammered the night before, and have a "we came to ski" mentality. AKA "Adults" Very Happy
ski holidays
Quote:

By the time that is sorted they all want to stop for a cup of tea.

Laughing Not if they're in France they don't Laughing
snow conditions
Had a cracking 2 days bouncing up and down bumps! Laughing

Knowing I can ski no more than 4 hrs max each day, I drove up on Saturday morning, arriving a little after 12 and was on the snow by 1.

This season has been a string of powder days in the US. So I hadn’t done much bumps at all, and it shows. It took all of the 3 hours for me to finally found some rhythm. Then, although the lift were still turning for another 1/2 hr, my legs let me know it’s not such a good idea to go back up. I might still up there all night, or spend the night in the hospital.

Shower, dinner while watching the replay of the Coronation on tv. Then early to bed.

Today (Sunday) went much better. They knocked half of the bumps down overnight. So a little bit of smooth snow to cruise on, before they turned into bumps again. But I was ready to enjoy them today, even the big ones from yesterday they left standing. Snow was soft and forgiving. Skied 9-12:30. Though when my legs said it’s enough for the day, I left.

Beautiful sunny days, soft moguls big and small: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0yGrq0zw9RGCEg

7 hrs of skiing for 8 hrs of driving. A cracking weekend. Toofy Grin
snow report
@abc, sounds like you had a great time! Very Happy

Incidentally it's not surprising that when you asked on here the advice given was that you should go, it is snowHeads after all! Laughing snowHead
ski holidays
Alastair Pink wrote:
Incidentally it's not surprising that when you asked on here the advice given was that you should go, it is snowHeads after all! Laughing snowHead

True.

Though when I “asked”, I thought I should go too. Was soliciting confirmation. Toofy Grin

So shy of overwhelming negative consensus pointing out some factors I might have overlooked, I’d gone ahead as anticipated.

I’m a snowhead, after all. snowHead Laughing

Last edited by Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do. on Thu 11-05-23 22:28; edited 1 time in total
latest report
abc wrote:

Beautiful sunny days, soft moguls big and small: https://www.icloud.com/sharedalbum/#B0yGrq0zw9RGCEg

7 hrs of skiing for 8 hrs of driving. A cracking weekend. Toofy Grin

Well done, nice pics. For my part I didn't drive to Val Thorens this weekend for a last day's piste skiing due to a poor weather forecast on Sunday/Monday and I wasn't free Saturday.
ski holidays
@davidof, weather has everything to do with it!

The previous 2 weekends were cold and rainy. So even though I drove within an hour of it on my way home from Toronto 2 weeks prior, I didn’t bother making the detour to ski there. Skullie (ok, having skied several powder days the week before also drastically lower my motivation to ski in pouring rain Sad )

But, after 2 weeks of abnormally cold temperature that made cycling unpleasant, I got restless.

Then, the sun finally came out and the temperature rose. Perfect corn snow condition. I knew it’s really the most enjoyable thing to do for the weekend (vs cycling in chilly temperature). That really removed a lot of the hesitancy with regard to the long drive.

I’m glad I went for it. In fact, it was so enjoyable I’m contemplating going again in 2 weeks! Laughing Thought this time it will be for 3 days, a proper holiday. Probably with some mountain biking and/or white water mixed in.
ski holidays
davidof wrote:
abc wrote:

Ha, we have those too. I call 'em "people I don't ski with". Through painful experience I've found a pretty efficient way to identify them before they can do much damage: arrange to meet for the first chair in the morning. Those who show up generally have their act together, didn't get too hammered the night before, and have a "we came to ski" mentality. AKA "Adults" Very Happy

I call that “social skiing”, aka hanging out with mates, on snow instead of backyard bbq. I don’t mind doing that once or twice a winter.

In that case, it really doesn’t matter how late we actually start sliding. Because the objective of the day was just spending time together, whether it’s actually sliding on snow or sitting in a cafe doesn’t change it.

Mind you, it isn’t just English men that do that. In my younger days, I went on a date with a young guy (he’s not English). His binding got loose. He tried fixing it with the tools on the tool bench but none of the tools fit. It took ages to get it working. I should have known better. Because we met on a mountain bike park. His bike had some problem and he borrowed my tools to worked on it. It took ages! (It wasn’t so much his mechanical skill. He’s just got equipments that uses non-standard parts!) It didn’t help speeding the repair when he was too busy talking than figuring out how to fix the loose binding.
snow conditions

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy