Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Saalbach or Schladming in Summer ?

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi all
Looking to break with tradition and avoid the beach this year and go to Austria for a week in the summer.

Have narrowed our search down to saalbach or Schladming. Have 2 teens in tow. Will self cater/eat out so looking for a town with a bit of life/variety as well as lots of access to activities such as mountain bike, rafting, canyoning, hiking, zip wire, swimming etc etc.

Also have a car so can venture out for day trips.

Can anyone recommend one over the other for this ?

Have found accommodation but is one better value for eating out etc ?

Thanks
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
I've not been to Schladming, so can't comment on that, but I have stayed in Saalbach in summer and I think it would suit your requirements well. There is plenty to do there. Eating out was more expensive than I'm used to paying (a tourist tax of sorts, I suppose), but not so high that you would feel robbed.

A couple of tips – book any mountain bike hire in advance, as it does get busy and booked out. Take some cheap gardening gloves or similar for the high-wire park (loads of zip wires) – they sell them on site, but they're more expensive than they need to be, and any nice gloves will get destroyed. Go early because it's massive and will take all day and you still might not complete it!
snow report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Scarlet wrote:
I've not been to Schladming, so can't comment on that, but I have stayed in Saalbach in summer and I think it would suit your requirements well. There is plenty to do there. Eating out was more expensive than I'm used to paying (a tourist tax of sorts, I suppose), but not so high that you would feel robbed.

A couple of tips – book any mountain bike hire in advance, as it does get busy and booked out. Take some cheap gardening gloves or similar for the high-wire park (loads of zip wires) – they sell them on site, but they're more expensive than they need to be, and any nice gloves will get destroyed. Go early because it's massive and will take all day and you still might not complete it!

great info - thanks Scarlet
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
@melandnick, to add to @Scarlet, comment its a good MTB area in the summer there plenty of walking variety, there is a swimming pool or you can drive down to Zell and sit by the lake where there is a pool and access to the lake paddle boarding, water skiing is available at Strandbad Thumersbach, some summer skiing in Kaprun , in Legoang there is teh flying fox zip wire.

Look for accommodation that gives you the Joker Card https://www.saalbach.com/en/summer/joker-card

Eating out in Saalbach there should be a choice of restaurants Del Rossi and Pizza Napoli are reasonable, not sure if that latter will open this summer, there are some places in Hinterglemm to that won't blow the budget, for lunch there will be quite a few mountain restaurants open or you can get a decent sandwich from Mpreis.
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Never been to Schladming but have been to Zell and Kaprun a few times in summer, visiting S-H each time for a day or 2. Mountain biking looks great but never took part. Lovely place to visit. How old are the teenagers? I got the feeling it was pretty quiet, compared to Zell for example. One of the times we were at Zell had been a 2 week 2 centre holiday with one week in mayrhofen and one in Zell. Mayrhofen was great and had a real buzz about it. Might be worth adding that to the list? Regardless you'll have a great time in S-H if you do go. We loved our day trips there and summer tobogganing at Saalfelden just along the road. Loads to do in the area
latest report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy