Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

See / Kappl / Galtur or Val Cenis Easter with young family??

Poster: A snowHead
We're looking ahead to Easter 24 and considering the Paznaun valley resorts. Any comments or advice welcome, especially regarding snow quality, ski schools and family top tips.

Our kids will be 4 and 6yo, with 4yo needing a good ski school for first slide and 6yo needing a variety of blue runs (will be in ski school too). We want to minimise faff getting to ski school, so minimal walking in ski boots.

Kappl piste map looks like it would suit but south facing, so I'm guessing not the best best for first week in April?

Galtur looks more snow sure, but mostly red runs might be an issue for 6yo?

See looks like the best bet in terms of piste variety, but I can't find much info on this area, especially late season. Also, is the ski school good?

Last edited by Poster: A snowHead on Tue 11-04-23 9:45; edited 1 time in total
ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
The snow in Galtur was pretty sticky a couple of weeks ago, I think it is too low to be selected as an Easter destination. Definitely wouldn't go any lower. Also, most of the red runs at Galtur are more like blue, and easy.

Finally, the ski area at Galtur is a bus ride away from the village, although there are a few hotels at the bottom of the slopes.

All in I'd go elsewhere that's higher if I were you.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
I haven't been at Easter but I have to say the altitude and aspect of Galtur with a good snow record I reckon it should be OK. You can get sticky snow late season at virtually any altitude if the humidity rises. It was sticky at around 2600 M a couple of weeks ago where I was and then improved.

The point about it being a bus journey away is a good one though. If you don't stay up at the slopes at Wirl or have a car.
If you do have a car the car park is convenient and minimises the walking.
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Thanks both. We'd likely drive so will have access to a car, although I don't fancy driving to the slopes each day.

Any thoughts on See? It seems to be north facing with a good variety of runs for it's size, but I can't find much on here about it?
snow conditions
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
@carettam, any reason you'd go the that valley and ignore Ischgl?
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
I would recommend a different destination.
Kappl is 100% south facing, big slushfest at best, large probability of slope closures due to lack of snow.
Galtuer, you need a car or take the bus to get to the slopes. There are dozens of resorts where lifts start at walking distance.
Ischgl... I would never go there with smaller children, totally unsuitable.
See is the only resort in this valley, that is a tiny bit suitable for your needs. North facing, so decent snow at easter. But really small ski area, anyone above 5 years ski experience would get bore-out within a few days.

Luckily, there are dozens better options that Paznauntal.
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Here are 3 options much better suited than Paznauntal.
This is from personal experience with all resorts, focused on family with your children just learning to ski.
Especially Val Cenis is nice. Centuries-old villages, the antidote to your typical French resort, treelined skiing, not too busy even during school holidays, and multiple free skilifts for beginnners.

Sesto (IT) in Dolomites
https://www.powderhounds.com/europe/italy/3-peaks-dolomites.aspx

Valmeinier (FR)
https://www-wintersport-nl.translate.goog/forum/topic/528606?page=8&_x_tr_sl=nl&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=nl&_x_tr_pto=wapp&_x_tr_hist=true
Val Cenis (FR)

Val Cenis (FR)
https://www-wintersport-nl.translate.goog/skigebieden/valcenis/ervaringen?_x_tr_sl=nl&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=nl&_x_tr_pto=wapp&_x_tr_hist=true
https://www.tripadvisor.com/Attraction_Review-g499089-d528402-Reviews-Station_de_ski_de_Val_Cenis-Savoie_Auvergne_Rhone_Alpes.html
snow report
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
@Onnem, I went to Ischgl with my 7 and 9 year old last week. I stayed just outside of Ishcgl either settle bus from the hotel or drive and parked. I would say it's 100% good for kids the ski school was professional and well run, kids under 10 ski for free. The snow stays as good as anywhere in the Alps in April. Lift system amazing.
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
Hmm OK, not much positivity. See being the only passable option. Any recommendations? Looking for a small, quiet ski area for my children to learn to ski at Easter, drivable from the UK.
ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
I had been looking at Val Cenis, but nursery slope is at resort level 1400m, which is not exactly snow covered at the moment, and the easy green runs are all low down. Hence thinking nursery slopes at See would be better.

Dolomites a bit far to drive. Not thought about Valmeinier, will take a look.
ski holidays
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
IMO Ischgl is a nice resort for sportive, fast skiers who find apres-ski at least as important as the actual skiing itself.
Too rowdy and busy for younger children.

Val Cenis is north-facing, and excellent choice for end-of-season.
The beginner slopes and valley descent to village still properly snow-covered even mid April.
https://app.webcam-hd.com/valcenis/tk-pont-noir
snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
@Onnem Thanks for that. Good to know. Any recommendations on ski school in Val Cenis? ESF good or worth using ESI?
snow report
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
No preference for any of those 2.
Both are good, and both have instructors who speak english on a passable level.

Just one practical point: check where they start - "rassemblement".
Minimize the walking to-and-from early morning and lunch. I know ESF has 4 points, one in each village.
snow conditions
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@carettam, have been to Kappl a few times with the kids. Had a great time each visit (January). Our kids could ski but the set up looks really good for younger ones. The ski school is mid mountain and involves getting gondie up to it - therefore if staying in village you will need to ski a wee bit down to get up. There are a few hotels near bottom gondola station. We never had any issues with snow at all but it was January. We liked the fact that the runs all linked into mid station so you could choose blue red or black option and they all met up mid mountain. Ischgl just up the road too for a change of scene.
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Paznaun is my family's favourite Ski area.
Generally the snow lasts well until the end of the season, Galtur and Ischgl are the higher villages/towns, See and Kappl at the lower end of the valley do still hold snow well (even Kappl), Free ski bus (with lift pass) services the whole valley.
And by the way using the busses is brilliant…..

Assuming that you are looking at hotels. The majority of hotel accommodation in See is within walking distance of the lift and ski bus stops if you want to access other villages and their ski areas, making it a breeze with children.
I've not stayed in Kappl but looks a little more complicated with accommodation, Ideally, you would want to stay in the Valley rather than the village, as the lift is from the Valley.
Galtur; accommodation is either in the village or at Wirl where the lift starts, If staying in the village use the ski bus, it's not busy and really is no hassle even with children.
Ischgl; accommodation is realistically all in the village, although the walk to lift stations, and subsequent queuing at peak times would in my view rule it out with children. If you do stay in Ischgl, the quietest lift with least queues is Fimbabahn

We've Only really experienced the ski school in Galtur, which is excellent, full day for children, half day for adults.
See to me always seems like a great place to learn to ski with some really open nursery slopes, and really very little in the way of people, in fact, it can be quite empty.
Kappl likewise has a well-planned nursery area. Both Kappl and See skiing starts at the mid-mountain, this is also the case with Ischgl. Galtur skiing starts at the base lift station.
All of the areas are well served with on-mountain dining easily reachable via blue and red pistes.

As actual skiing is concerned, Easter across Europe is by its nature warmer than Jan or Feb, so there is always a degree of luck involved, the biggest problem though, particularly with children id Sun protection.
Ischgl obviously is by far the largest, and most popular consequently parts of the area can get a little busy, Galtur, Kappl. See being smaller do not as a rule attract the crowds that you see in a 'premier' glitzy resort.
Ischgl with a vast no of km to ski, there are plenty of options from quieter pistes to some great blacks. The Idalp area can get a little busy so a good option is Gampen, or even Alp Bella on the Swiss side. The home/valley runs can be a little chaotic at 'home time', but they are empty in the morning, and well worth skiing. new snow can get tracked out pretty quickly, simply because its a very busy resort. Ischgl also manages its snow well, and quality pretty good still at the end of season with the Idalp base starting at about 1850m.
We would normally spend about 3 days out of 7 ski days in this area.

Kappl is as mentioned south facing and can have 'soft' snow during warm weather, that said I skied in there at the end of March this year and really enjoyed the day. It has a good mix of blue and red pistes, blacks aren't really particularly challenging, and this is a strong family ski area. Realistically we spend 1 day out of a 7 ski day trip here.

See is predominantly north facing and holds snow quality very well for a relatively low village, with all the skiing (except the home run) starting at 1800m. A hidden gem this area, it is just fun, good mix of pistes, and easily accessible side/off-piste, fresh show stays untracked for days. In a 7 ski day holiday we spend at least 1 day here, more if there are ‘freshies’.
Galtur is as far up the valley as you can go in winter, with skiing starts at 1650m, temperatures which are generally a couple of degrees lower that Ischgl and See, snow quality is pretty good in part because it doesn't have a lot of skiers using it. Again, a small area with a good mix of pistes. They do also classify the mountain by Sektor, which offers distinct progression for beginners, and specific types of skiing. We would try to spend probably 2 days out of 7 ski days here.

Personally, I’ve skied the Paznaun valley since the early 90’s, Initially in Ischgl only with maybe only day in Galtur. However, when I started introducing the family to skiing we really opened up the other villages in the valley. In my view the best terrain and skiing is to be had in Galtur, See, Ischgl, Kappl in that order (places 3 & 4 are really close). Really it is worth skiing every area in the valley, the whole family will have fun.
Skied the Paznaun valley a various times, from Ischgl opening week, early Jan, Early Feb, Late feb, early and late March, as well as closing week, conditions have always been comparable or better than most of Europe.

Best Ski School; is probably in Galtur.
Best place to stay with family; Galtur/Wirl, ideally on of the hotels next to the piste in Wirl, Almhof.
Best Black run in valley; 13 black Ischgl.
Best Family ski back; Galtur.
Best scare your pants off-piste; Under Furglerblick lift See.
Best proper hutte, Ascherhutte in See (cash only)
Best for chalking up Kms; Ischgl / Samnaun
Run that you wish you hadn’t got onto; Black 7 Ischgl on the way home.

Ps. We also went to the valley in summer 2022 (despite easyjet’s best efforts), brilliant.
snow report
@Bob, If you were skiing this area on a day when it's snowing, which resort would you pick?

@carettam, apologies for the minor thread hijack and I hope you find somewhere great. My first family ski trip was to Obergurgl which is snow sure and easy to do with kid in tow. We've always flown so I'm not sure what the drive to Austria would be like.
snow report
tough on...p
Either See or Galtur, they are the fun areas lots of varied, safe terrain to play in.
but depends on other factors too, and your objectives. if its windy the Ischgl high and connecting lifts often close, restricting everyone to Idalp and the runs down to the village, so it can be busy, and there are too many wanna-be powder stars so Ischgl is out for me. Kappl also can get hit badly by wind.
See, Kappl, and Galtur are smaller and easier to navigate with uncrowded Apres ski, and reasonably nice runs home. Both See and Galtur have easily accessible off and side piste

hmmm............

Galtur it is genuinely so much fun.
snow conditions
Are you absolutely set on Easter? Mine learned in Rauris, Austria at 6 and 8, which meets your requirements apart from the time of year. It's a tiny resort and the nursery slope is directly outside the ski school doors. Both ski schools in resort have their own enclosed Kinder areas with magic carpets which they start on before moving out to the public nursery slope (right next to it). If you stayed at Carpe Solem Rauris, you'd walk no more than about a minute in boots. However, as the village is at 948m, the snow is almost non-existent at Easter on the nursery slopes. We went the week before February half term that first year, and snow conditions were lovely. It's a 12.5 hour drive from Calais. You don't say where in the UK you are driving from. We flew there both times.

I think for Easter you will need to go high and potentially go for a bigger resort.
ski holidays
In Val Cenis, these apartments are very nice. Literally ON the slope, shops and swimming pool in the building, rustical style (no highrise) and next to skilift and ESF.

In the NL you can book then via a number of agencies. Excellent price-quality ratio. Well maintained too, not run-down like some buildings in budget destination like f.i. Les Sybelles.

https://www.tripadvisor.nl/Hotel_Review-g1236204-d1421000-Reviews-Residence_Les_Balcons_de_Val_Cenis_Village-Lanslevillard_Val_Cenis_Savoie_Auvergne_Rh.html
snow conditions
Loads of great information @Bob, thanks. I like the sound of Galtur and See more now! A small resort with quiet pistes without the speed heroes but enough variety/challenge for us parents. Untracked off piste if we get lucky with the weather is appealing too! I don't mind skiing the same runs if they're interesting, with stuff to do just off the sides. Really don't fancy Ischgl at this stage of family skiing.

@Onnem I'd actually been looking at those apartments in Val Cenis. Good to know you'd recommend them.

@Owlettd Yes we're set in Easter so we can take our time with the drive without having to go straight back to work/ school on return. Plus the warm sunshine and spring skiing is ideal with small kids.
latest report
I don't blame you at all. We've done Christmas, February, and Easter, and Easter was by far our favourite for all the reasons you have mentioned. Not to mention lovely driving conditions. We drove back from Les Arcs over the weekend, and it was glorious weather. Hope you manage to find somewhere. Sounds like you've got some solid advice on here.
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy