Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

Late Feb/March in Italy - recommendations? (Dolomite vs Cervinia)

Poster: A snowHead
Poster: A snowHead
Hi there!
This is my first post so hope I'm making sense:

We are intermediate skiers (mainly on the red pistes), having been to the Dolomites twice in March and both times were too warm to ski past 10am, so this year we are thinking whether we should try it again in late Feb to see if things will be better, or try a colder resort such as Cervinia.

In Dolomites we've only been to Obereggen / Cermis, so should we try another place? And would late Feb make the temperature much better?

In Cervinia, since we've never been there, I have no idea what to expect:
- It seems the Valtournenche is closed? And Cervinia itself also has only one lift open according to https://www.bergfex.com/breuil-cervinia/?
- If everything's open, is it better to go in late Feb or early/mid March in terms of less people and nice temperature?

Thanks so much!
latest report
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
Law of averages would suggest Feb colder than March but no guarantee. Currently very warm in Alps, will be colder at times in March I would think.

Cervinia should be totally open.

For crowds avoid school holidays which are mostly February. There is list of dates for countries online.
ski holidays
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
Quote:

Cervinia itself also has only one lift open

? Is that because it's late at night.......?
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
You need to Login to know who's really who.
Cervinia allows you to reach higher altitudes with lmuch lower temperatures than what your initial post mentioned.
And connects you to the CH side (Zermatt) with more shaded options.
ski holidays
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Have skiied the Dolomites in late Feb/early March 4 or 5 times. "Too warm to ski" wasnt the issue. A few times it was slushy at lower elevations but TBH there was more than enough snow. One thing about the Dolomites is that they are dry AND cold, so the snow they make lasts a long time. Yes, Cervinia is likely to have better conditions, but IME have had no real issues in early March in the Dolomites.
snow report
 You'll need to Register first of course.
You'll need to Register first of course.
We were in selva for the last week of the season start of last April.

A couple of warm days then freezing cold for the rest. We got a little lucky.

Meant you could easily ski all day but it was getting soft low down mid afternoon.

Amazingly quiet though was the upside … my daughter and I didn’t really get going until 10 am one morning but went from top of ciampanoi to col raiser , Seceda , La longia to ortisei, back to ciampanoi and then did green sella Ronda !! 42km of piste.
latest report
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
It sounds like you were very unlucky with the warmth last time out. I’ve skied Dolomites twice (once in March) and conditions were perfect- they are famous for their snow making ability there.
It also sounds like you haven’t touched the sides as far as exploring goes. If you can base yourself in Val Gardena or Alta Badia, you will have a much greater chance to explore the whole area.
Cervinia is completely different in feel. Much higher and more rugged- dominated by The Matterhorn. The snow may be better at that time of year but there is less variety of slope… unless… you ski over to Zermatt regularly, which is a fantastic area. But be warned, it’s expensive and the link often closes due to high winds.
Good luck!
ski holidays
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
I've been checking the snow report thread in this forum for Cervinia, and the recent comments are not very encouraging (windy and icy, and also friends of friends have been disappointed with the lack of snow there recently). Maybe it'll actually be better later? We are not planning to buy the expensive international pass either. What we found so far is a hotel near the Salette Valtournanche lift.

For Dolomites, last year we did March 14-18 (Obereggen/Pampeago), and the year before it was March 18-25 (mostly in Cermis which was great, but for one day we tried Pampeago and it was super slushy).
So it sounds like we should try Val Gardena area this time? If I can still find affordable half board hotels Eh oh!
latest report
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
In weather/snow year like this - Dolomites win by far ! Remember, snow making in Dolomites is the best in the world and with occasional top up of natural stuff and endless sunshine ... +++

But it seems that the secret is out, big crowds even for January !?

Due to the topographic and micro climate of the area less snow does not necessary means skiing is bad. Big lines are replaced by big cruising runs and with the proper skills (carving) and equipment (go under 85mm underfoot) you will have a blast !

Keep you edges sharp !
snow report
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ironically, the Dolomites are benefiting from their relative lack of natural snow. Because of this, they have long ago invested in amazing snow making. Now that weather trends have made people nervous about committing to trips and finding no snow, the Dolomites are viewed as a safe bet.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Definitely learned something new - I thought snow making machines are by default, so did not understand how a ski resort could not have snow and still be open. Sounds like end of Feb/beginning of March should solve the slushy problem we had in mid/late March, I'll see how it goes Smile
snow report

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy