Ski Club 2.0 Home
Snow Reports
FAQFAQ

Mail for help.Help!!

Log in to snowHeads to make it MUCH better! Registration's totally free, of course, and makes snowHeads easier to use and to understand, gives better searching, filtering etc. as well as access to 'members only' forums, discounts and deals that U don't even know exist as a 'guest' user. (btw. 50,000+ snowHeads already know all this, making snowHeads the biggest, most active community of snow-heads in the UK, so you'll be in good company)..... When you register, you get our free weekly(-ish) snow report by email. It's rather good and not made up by tourist offices (or people that love the tourist office and want to marry it either)... We don't share your email address with anyone and we never send out any of those cheesy 'message from our partners' emails either. Anyway, snowHeads really is MUCH better when you're logged in - not least because you get to post your own messages complaining about things that annoy you like perhaps this banner which, incidentally, disappears when you log in :-)
Username:-
 Password:
Remember me:
👁 durr, I forgot...
Or: Register
(to be a proper snow-head, all official-like!)

LofoTEN year anniversary 2023: Skin Properly ***now with photos***

Poster: A snowHead
@Andanotherthing, @Arno and @Hewey getting their slice of the action in the lower sections. Absolute scenes snowHead

ski holidays
 Obviously A snowHead isn't a real person
@Sharkymark, the photos are ever more stunning.
latest report
 Well, the person's real but it's just a made up name, see?
@Hurtle, thanks snowHead I keep saying it but it's hard to take a bad photo in Lofoten!
snow report
 You need to Login to know who's really who.
Stunning!
(And I hadn’t seen Hurtle’s words when I thought that.)
snow report
 Anyway, snowHeads is much more fun if you do.
Fantastic
snow conditions
 You'll need to Register first of course.
#s 1 and 3 from that last sequence are great - fab composition and so much going on. (The other two aren't too shabby either)
ski holidays
 Then you can post your own questions or snow reports...
Once again, thanks all!
snow conditions
 After all it is free Go on u know u want to!
Wow. Again. snowHead snowHead snowHead
ski holidays
 You'll get to see more forums and be part of the best ski club on the net.
The advantage of having variable weather was the ever-changing sky. A few shots of the golden hour and savage light as yet another weather front rolled in.

ski holidays
 Ski the Net with snowHeads
Ski the Net with snowHeads
@Sharkymark, at the risk of repeating myself...wow.
snow report
 snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
snowHeads are a friendly bunch.
Day 7: What turned out to be our final day of skiing. With high winds, poor vis above 800m and a mixture of rain / snow forecast, we headed to a valley on the NE of main island. Somewhat surprisingly, the precipitation was of the white variety. The following shots capture the conditions well...

snow report
 And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
And love to help out and answer questions and of course, read each other's snow reports.
The last two shots of the trip: as we skied out, we looked up to a ridge at 700m or so and saw vast quantities of spindrift piling over. Very dramatic with the backdrop of storm clouds.

snow conditions
 So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
So if you're just off somewhere snowy come back and post a snow report of your own and we'll all love you very much
Sharkymark wrote:
...Day 7: What turned out to be our final day of skiing. With high winds, poor vis above 800m and a mixture of rain / snow forecast, we headed to a valley on the NE of main island. Somewhat surprisingly, the precipitation was of the white variety. ...

The things you end up having to do when on your holidays; but you know me I only like purfect conditions Laughing

Have two friends on separate trips to Lyngen over the past month (one there now) and they've had to deal with cloud/low-viz & wind etc

Further Edit just been asked by a friend if I want to join them in Lyngen 10-15 May but I've politely passed, more from the perspective of too much travelling hassle from my end for what might be possibly just four days of touring?

Hopefully I'll get at least that here between now and then.
latest report
 You know it makes sense.
You know it makes sense.
@Weathercam, funny I was chatting to my bro the other day who lives 'on location' with a similar approach to snow and it turns out I've skied more days than him...for the past two seasons Laughing rolling eyes

As ever, the more adventurous skiing such as this means you willingly take the additional the risk the weather provides...with the reward of superb ski mountaineering when it comes together. Some people wouldn't enjoy it for sure but plenty of us do. Remember what Doug Coombs said... Laughing
latest report
 Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
Otherwise you'll just go on seeing the one name:
@Sharkymark, the obvious response, is quality not quantity, but sometimes getting out when conditions look questionable, you can end up grabbing a memorable day.

In fact I've had nigh on a handful this April with the weird unseasonal weather, I call it stealth skiing, when you're climbing up in not brilliant conditions but know there's a chance you could get a break in the weather.
ski holidays
Depends on what you mean by 'quality' Laughing and what you get out of the experience.

Only being a fair weather skier is great I guess (saves money on kit for one thing and you 'only' ever ski sweet sweet pow in sweet sweet sun) but it's somewhat limiting IMHO. Each to their own, though...especially if the good stuff stays empty snowHead
snow report
@Sharkymark, it's just a phase you're going through, especially when one is limited to holidays Very Happy

Obviously I've been there seen it done it for many a year just like you're doing. eg 5 sail n'ski trips Lyngen before it became popular

When you're lucky enough to live full time on the mountain and have no real work constraints then you naturally do get more fussy.

And I should add others are way more selective than me, many having now hung up their skis for the season and reverted to two wheels.

Looks like Spring snow* on the agenda this morning, and hopefully a bit of exploring that new terrain I got a taster of last week Very Happy

*that's why we need the sunshine/clear overnight sky!

Further Edit @Sharkymark, were you sticking pins in an effigy of me this morning, think I've asked you that question before Laughing
See the Serre thread
latest report
Only 5? Wow, I wish I was you Laughing

Anyway, before I hear how many leatherbound books you have and that your appartment smells of rich mahogany, I'll process some of the B-roll and get the thread back on track, eh? Very Happy
latest report
A couple of shots that also made the cull: the first being conveniently aesthetic cloud formations one evening and the second looking back onto Austvagoya from our couloir line.

snow report
I didn't really get anything spectacular from day 0 but here's a token 'pleasing snow tones' photo for completeness:

ski holidays
@Sharkymark, c’mon, just like the inclement weather and the stink of rotting cod, it’s part of the Lofoten experience to have @Weathercam tell us about when he went to a completely different part of Norway sometime Laughing
ski holidays
@Arno, have also done Narvik, but that's when we were slumming it using cars and accomodation on dry land as opposed to a yacht Laughing
snow conditions
Laughing Laughing
snow conditions
Arno wrote:
@Sharkymark, c’mon, just like the inclement weather and the stink of rotting cod, it’s part of the Lofoten experience to have @Weathercam tell us about when he went to a completely different part of Norway sometime Laughing

Laughing

It feels like a rite of passage!
ski holidays

Terms and conditions  Privacy Policy